Legendary Azerbaijani Musical Comedy Film ‘Arşın Mal Alan’ to premier in Hollywood
Baku – APA. The Consulate General of Azerbaijan in Los Angeles will hold the first-time ever screening of Azerbaijan’s iconic and world-famous musical comedy film “Arşın Mal Alan” (Cloth Peddler) in Hollywood on September 19, 2015.
The screening will take place at the historic Ricardo Montalban Theater, which is one of the oldest and most renowned movie theaters in Hollywood. Built in 1926, the theater is also known as the first fully-automated cinema, The Consulate General told APA.
The Cloth Peddler/Arşın Mal Alan is a film adaptation of the comic and romantic operetta of the same name, which was composed by the founder of Azerbaijani opera and classical music Uzeyir Hajibeyli and premiered in Azerbaijan in 1913, thus becoming the first operetta in the entire Muslim world. Shot in 1945 and characterized by witty plot, amazing music, great singing and acting, the film quickly became a box office sensation. It remains an important cultural touchstone across Eurasia and beyond having been distributed in 86 languages and shown in 136 countries. The film is about pure love, women’s rights, and a young couple’s dreams for a modern way of life free of restricting customs.
In 2013, the film was perfectly remastered and colorized in Hollywood at the initative and with the support of the Heydar Aliyev Foundation of Azerbaijan. The screening in Hollywood will be be the first-ever U.S. screening of the remastered and colorized version of this legendary movie.
The show is dedicted to the 130th birthday anniversary of Uzeyir Hajibeyli and 70th anniversary of the film.
A short video clip prepared by Azerbaijan’s Consulate General on this occassion can be watched here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffutsm66pjA
Tickets for show can be obtained at www.cloth.eventbrite.com
Related news releases
- 19.02.2018Arif Aziz celebrated through fashion prism of Leonie Mergen during London Fashion Week
- 26.01.2018Azerbaijani parliament to discuss bill on preservation and development of mugham
- 10.01.2018Vakhtang Kikabidze's concert was held at the "Veselo" festival in Gabala
- 25.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev presents "Istiglal" Order to People's Artist Farhad Badalbayli
- 20.12.2017U.S. Embassy sponsors “Of Mice and Men” performance by ASA Theater
- 13.12.2017‘Switzerland and its nature’ painting exhibition opens in Baku
- 25.11.2017A concert held in London dedicated to the 100th anniversary of Covadat Hajiyev
- 06.11.2017Jazzman Isfar Sarabski raises the roof in Reims
- 28.10.2017Azerbaijani President awards Rauf Abdullayev with order
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijani defense minister leaves for Tajikistan
- 15.09.2017Ashug Adalat laid to rest
- 14.09.2017Famous Azerbaijani ashug dies
- 11.09.2017“Modernism and Fashion” exhibition of Alexandre Vassiliev’s collection to open at Heydar Aliyev Center
- 09.09.2017Baku hosting 2nd Indonesian Cultural Festival
- 05.09.2017Karabakh-Collection designer Leonie Mergen featured in British Vogue
- 05.09.2017Top Indian band ‘Indian Ocean’ to present concerts in Azerbaijan
- 28.08.2017Ministry: No request received for organization of Googoosh concert in Azerbaijan
- 21.08.2017The Silk Road – and the spirit of Azerbaijan – combines with Monet’s inspirational environment
- 02.08.2017Jeanne Gendelman: Famous musicians performing in Gabala, onlookers enjoying festive atmosphere
- 17.07.2017Sculptor Tokay Mammadov awarded honorary diploma of Azerbaijani president
- 11.07.2017“Pomegranate Orchard” film nominated for Asia Pacific Screen Awards
- 31.05.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 120 times in 24 hours
- 22.05.2017Shahin Novrasli – presented by the legendary Ahmad Jamal in Paris
- 05.05.2017Carpet stolen by Armenians from Karabakh, taken to US to be exhibited in Baku
- 09.03.2017European premiere of “Ali and Nino” held in Brussels
- 23.02.2017Not Frozen, Never Forgotten – the plight of Azerbaijani IDPs highlighted in Brussels
- 30.01.2017Film scripted by APA Holding employee invited to int’l film festival
- 28.12.2016Famous Azerbaijani singer Zeynab Khanlarova turns 80 today
- 26.12.2016Azerbaijani People’s artist Aghakhan Abdullayev laid to rest
- 26.12.2016First Lady Mehriban Aliyeva attends farewell ceremony for People’s Artist Aghakhan Abdullayev
- 22.12.2016Azerbaijani people’s artist Mukhtar Maniyev passes away
- 14.12.2016Great cultural, literary figures Azerbaijan and the world lost in 2016 - LIST
- 12.12.2016Honored artist of Azerbaijan Ismayil Mammadov dies
- 27.10.2016Baku to host European film festival
- 26.10.2016‘Ali and Nino’ premieres in Los Angeles to great acclaim
- 24.10.2016Jeffrey Werbock: Had I not known Azerbaijan, I would have been living ordinary life - INTERVIEW
- 21.10.2016“Sayat Nova is Azerbaijani, not Armenian; he is Seyat Neva”
- 06.10.2016Mehriban Aliyeva attends premiere of "Ali and Nino"
- 14.09.2016Pope Francis thanks Azerbaijani sculptor for making his bust
- 09.09.2016Endless corridor movie to be shown in Al Jazeera TV
- 03.09.2015September 18 proclaimed "Uzeyir Hajibeyli Memorial Day" in Santa Monica City of California
- 17.09.2015Postage stamps dedicated to Azerbaijani composer Uzeyir Hajibeyli and singer Rashid Behbudov issued in U.S.
- 19.09.2015Uzeyir Hajibeyli’s contributions recognized at U.S. Congress
- 17.08.2015People's Artist Habil Aliyev’s health condition improved
- 08.08.2015Huseyn Javid’s "Sheikh Sanan" to be staged for the first time in Georgian
- 07.08.2015Baku hosting photo exhibition dedicated to Russia-Georgia War
Top news of the day