European premiere of “Ali and Nino” held in Brussels
The European premiere of the film “Ali and Nino” has been held at the European Parliament.
The event, organized by MEP Norica Nicolai, brought together more than 200 people, including European Parliament members, Azerbaijani MPs, representatives of European civil society, members of the Azerbaijani Diaspora in Belgium, well-known public and political figures, APA reported.
MEP Norica Nicolai, Azerbaijani Ambassador to Belgium Fuad Isgandarov, Georgian Ambassador to Belgium Natalie Sabanadze and Director of the Benelux office of The European Azerbaijan Society (TEAS) Marc Verwilghen delivered speeches at the event.
The film, based on the namesake world bestseller “Ali and Nino” novel by Gurban Said, was shot in 2015. “Ali and Nino” is about Azerbaijan’s fight for independence in early 20th century and love between two young people of different religions.
Vice-President of the Heydar Aliyev Foundation Leyla Aliyeva is the executive producer of the movie.
The movie’s producer is Kris Thykier and director is BAFTA Award winner Asif Kapadia, while its script was written by the Academy Award winner Christopher Hampton.
The film was shot in various parts of Baku, as well as in the streets of the historical Old City, Gobustan, Khinalig, Ganja and Gadabay.
The movie lasts 104 minutes. Starring in the film are Adam Bakri as Ali and María Valverde as Nino. Other actors are Halit Ergenc, Mendy Petinkin, Connie Nielson, Riccardo Skamarchio, Homayon Ershadi, Fakhraddin Manafov, Assaad Bab, Numan Acar and others.
“Ali and Nino” was first screened Jan. 27, 2016 at the Sundance film festival.
Related news releases
- 26.12.2016Azerbaijani People’s artist Aghakhan Abdullayev laid to rest
- 26.12.2016First Lady Mehriban Aliyeva attends farewell ceremony for People’s Artist Aghakhan Abdullayev
- 22.12.2016Azerbaijani people’s artist Mukhtar Maniyev passes away
- 14.12.2016Great cultural, literary figures Azerbaijan and the world lost in 2016 - LIST
- 12.12.2016Honored artist of Azerbaijan Ismayil Mammadov dies
- 27.10.2016Baku to host European film festival
- 26.10.2016‘Ali and Nino’ premieres in Los Angeles to great acclaim
- 24.10.2016Jeffrey Werbock: Had I not known Azerbaijan, I would have been living ordinary life - INTERVIEW
- 21.10.2016“Sayat Nova is Azerbaijani, not Armenian; he is Seyat Neva”
- 06.10.2016Mehriban Aliyeva attends premiere of "Ali and Nino"
- 14.09.2016Pope Francis thanks Azerbaijani sculptor for making his bust
- 09.09.2016Endless corridor movie to be shown in Al Jazeera TV
- 31.08.2016Azerbaijani composer Ogtay Zulfugarov dies aged 88
- 25.08.2016Azerbaijani composer to give concert in Paris
- 19.08.2016French magazine publishes articles on Azerbaijani jazz
- 26.07.2016Azerbaijani classical music discussed in Los Angeles
- 20.07.2016Azerbaijani spirit comes to two leading London jazz clubs
- 30.06.2016Baku hosts photo exhibition depicting life of national minorities
- 17.06.2016Exhibition of famous artist George Condo opens at Heydar Aliyev Center
- 09.06.2016Heydar Aliyev Center to host George Condo’s exhibition
- 18.05.2016Vital role of Azerbaijani oil in WWII victory highlighted in Los Angeles
- 27.04.2016Films on Azerbaijan produced in Los Angeles
- 12.04.2016Pascal Contet and Travelling Quartet to perform at Heydar Aliyev Center
- 07.03.2016Vidadi Muradov awarded Shohrat Order
- 04.03.2016Statue of Maestro Niyazi to be raised in Baku
- 29.02.2016Exhibition titled ‘Shah Ismail I – commander and king’ to be held in Azerbaijan
- 25.02.2016Azerbaijani people's artist Ilhama Guliyeva dies
- 18.02.2016Play “Red Angel in Khojaly” on Khojaly genocide to be premiered in Baku
- 08.02.2016World premiere of Firangiz Alizadeh’s work held in San Francisco
- 04.02.2016Khojaly massacre documentary ‘Endless Corridor’ wins Humanitarian Award from Global Film Awards
- 04.02.2016Pierre Richard: When people ask me about Baku, my thoughts always go back to friendly people I met there
- 29.01.2016US hosts premiere of film "Ali and Nino"
- 06.01.2016New director of Azerbaijan Academic National Drama Theatre named
- 09.12.2015Endless Corridor film to be broadcast on Eurochannel
- 24.11.2015Turkish Film is winner of this year's LUX Film Prize
- 20.11.2015Honored artist of Azerbaijan to open exhibition in New York
- 18.11.2015Azerbaijani artist receives Mozart medal
- 17.10.2015Seoul hosts opening of Azerbaijan Film Festival - PHOTOSESSION
- 19.09.2015Uzeyir Hajibeyli’s contributions recognized at U.S. Congress
- 17.09.2015Postage stamps dedicated to Azerbaijani composer Uzeyir Hajibeyli and singer Rashid Behbudov issued in U.S.
- 05.05.2017Carpet stolen by Armenians from Karabakh, taken to US to be exhibited in Baku
- 22.05.2017Shahin Novrasli – presented by the legendary Ahmad Jamal in Paris
- 31.05.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 120 times in 24 hours
- 23.02.2017Not Frozen, Never Forgotten – the plight of Azerbaijani IDPs highlighted in Brussels
- 30.01.2017Film scripted by APA Holding employee invited to int’l film festival
- 28.12.2016Famous Azerbaijani singer Zeynab Khanlarova turns 80 today