Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 120 times in 24 hours
Over the past 24 hours, Armenia’s armed forces have 120 times violated the ceasefire along the line of contact between Azerbaijani and Armenian troops, the Azerbaijani Defense Ministry said on May 31.
The Armenian armed forces were using large-caliber machine guns, 82-mm mortars and 120-mm mortars.
The Azerbaijani army positions located in Qaymaqli village of Gazakh district and Kohnegishlaq village of Aghstafa district underwent fire from the Armenian army positions located on nameless heights of Armenia’s Noyemberyan district, as well as Paravakar village of Armenia’s Ijevan district.
Meanwhile, the Azerbaijani army positions on nameless heights of Tovuz district were shelled from the Armenian army positions located in Chinari village of Armenia’s Berd district.
The Azerbaijani army positions on nameless heights of Gadabay district also underwent fire from the Armenian army positions located on nameless heights of Armenia’s Krasnoselsk district.
Moreover, the Azerbaijani army positions were shelled from the Armenian positions located near the Armenian-occupied Goyarkh village of Tartar district, Javahirli, Yusifjanli, Marzili villages of Aghdam district, Kuropatkino village of Khojavand district, Gorgan, Garakhanbayli, Horadiz, Ashagi Veysalli villages of Fuzuli district and Mehdili village of Jabrayil district, as well as from the positions located on nameless heights in Goygol, Tartar, Khojavand, Fuzuli and Jabrayil districts of Azerbaijan.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 19.02.2018Arif Aziz celebrated through fashion prism of Leonie Mergen during London Fashion Week
- 26.01.2018Azerbaijani parliament to discuss bill on preservation and development of mugham
- 10.01.2018Vakhtang Kikabidze's concert was held at the "Veselo" festival in Gabala
- 25.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev presents "Istiglal" Order to People's Artist Farhad Badalbayli
- 20.12.2017U.S. Embassy sponsors “Of Mice and Men” performance by ASA Theater
- 13.12.2017‘Switzerland and its nature’ painting exhibition opens in Baku
- 25.11.2017A concert held in London dedicated to the 100th anniversary of Covadat Hajiyev
- 06.11.2017Jazzman Isfar Sarabski raises the roof in Reims
- 28.10.2017Azerbaijani President awards Rauf Abdullayev with order
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijani defense minister leaves for Tajikistan
- 15.09.2017Ashug Adalat laid to rest
- 14.09.2017Famous Azerbaijani ashug dies
- 11.09.2017“Modernism and Fashion” exhibition of Alexandre Vassiliev’s collection to open at Heydar Aliyev Center
- 09.09.2017Baku hosting 2nd Indonesian Cultural Festival
- 05.09.2017Karabakh-Collection designer Leonie Mergen featured in British Vogue
- 05.09.2017Top Indian band ‘Indian Ocean’ to present concerts in Azerbaijan
- 28.08.2017Ministry: No request received for organization of Googoosh concert in Azerbaijan
- 21.08.2017The Silk Road – and the spirit of Azerbaijan – combines with Monet’s inspirational environment
- 23.02.2017Not Frozen, Never Forgotten – the plight of Azerbaijani IDPs highlighted in Brussels
- 30.01.2017Film scripted by APA Holding employee invited to int’l film festival
- 28.12.2016Famous Azerbaijani singer Zeynab Khanlarova turns 80 today
- 26.12.2016Azerbaijani People’s artist Aghakhan Abdullayev laid to rest
- 26.12.2016First Lady Mehriban Aliyeva attends farewell ceremony for People’s Artist Aghakhan Abdullayev
- 22.12.2016Azerbaijani people’s artist Mukhtar Maniyev passes away
- 14.12.2016Great cultural, literary figures Azerbaijan and the world lost in 2016 - LIST
- 12.12.2016Honored artist of Azerbaijan Ismayil Mammadov dies
- 27.10.2016Baku to host European film festival
- 26.10.2016‘Ali and Nino’ premieres in Los Angeles to great acclaim
- 24.10.2016Jeffrey Werbock: Had I not known Azerbaijan, I would have been living ordinary life - INTERVIEW
- 21.10.2016“Sayat Nova is Azerbaijani, not Armenian; he is Seyat Neva”
- 06.10.2016Mehriban Aliyeva attends premiere of "Ali and Nino"
- 14.09.2016Pope Francis thanks Azerbaijani sculptor for making his bust
- 09.09.2016Endless corridor movie to be shown in Al Jazeera TV
- 31.08.2016Azerbaijani composer Ogtay Zulfugarov dies aged 88
- 25.08.2016Azerbaijani composer to give concert in Paris
- 19.08.2016French magazine publishes articles on Azerbaijani jazz
- 26.07.2016Azerbaijani classical music discussed in Los Angeles
- 20.07.2016Azerbaijani spirit comes to two leading London jazz clubs
- 30.06.2016Baku hosts photo exhibition depicting life of national minorities
- 17.06.2016Exhibition of famous artist George Condo opens at Heydar Aliyev Center
- 11.07.2017“Pomegranate Orchard” film nominated for Asia Pacific Screen Awards
- 17.07.2017Sculptor Tokay Mammadov awarded honorary diploma of Azerbaijani president
- 02.08.2017Jeanne Gendelman: Famous musicians performing in Gabala, onlookers enjoying festive atmosphere
- 22.05.2017Shahin Novrasli – presented by the legendary Ahmad Jamal in Paris
- 05.05.2017Carpet stolen by Armenians from Karabakh, taken to US to be exhibited in Baku
- 09.03.2017European premiere of “Ali and Nino” held in Brussels