‘Ali and Nino’ premieres in Los Angeles to great acclaim
Baku – APA. The ‘Ali and Nino’ was successfully screened on October 24, 2016 as the opening film of the Asian World Film Festival in Los Angeles, Azerbaijan’s Consulate General in Los Angeles told APA.
Directed by Oscar-winning filmmaker Asif Kapadia and produced by Ms Leyla Aliyeva, vice-president of Azerbaijan’s Heydar Aliyev Foundation, and Kris Thykier; and with screenplay by Oscar-winning writer Christopher Hampton and starring Adam Bakri (Ali) and Maria Valverde (Nino), this feature film is based on a love story between a young Azerbaijani Muslim nobleman and Georgian Christian princess during the tumultuous years of 1914-1920.
Supported and co-presented by Azerbaijan’s Consulate General in Los Angeles, the screening was attended by Oscar and Emmy-nominated film directors, producers and actors, and other members of the Hollywood film industry. Due to the tremendous public interest in the film, the Festival organizers had to open a second auditorium for the screening of the same film during the Festival opening. Adam Bakri was present at the screening.
Speaking at the event, Azerbaijan’s Consul General in Los Angeles Nasimi Aghayev informed the audience about the history of Azerbaijan in the 20th century, especially mentioning the fact that within one century the people of Azerbaijan achieved its independence twice, establishing in 1918 the Muslim world’s first secular democracy and granting voting rights to women before the United States and many European countries. Highlighting the historical and moral values reflected by “Ali and Nino,” the Consul General noted that this film is not just about the beautiful love story of two young people, it is also about the struggle of the Azerbaijani people for independence as well as about the country’s long-standing traditions of interfaith tolerance and multiculturalism. Aghayev stressed that the implementation of this amazing film project has been made possible thanks to the comprehensive support by Azerbaijan’s First Lady and the President of the Heydar Aliyev Foundation Mrs Mehriban Aliyeva, and the Foundation’s Vice President and the film’s executive producer Ms Leyla Aliyeva.
Then the film was screened. From the very first moments, the film made much impression upon the audience and was received with standing ovations.
It should be noted that a delegation from Azerbaijan that is on a working visit to California, consisting of Mr. Asif Asgarov, the Head of the Executive Authority of the Nasimi District of Baku, Azerbaijan; Dr. Asim Mollazade, Member of Azerbaijan’s Parliament; and Mr. Milikh Yevdayev, President of the Mountainous Jewish Community of Azerbaijan, attended the screening.
- 25.11.2017A concert held in London dedicated to the 100th anniversary of Covadat Hajiyev
- 06.11.2017Jazzman Isfar Sarabski raises the roof in Reims
- 28.10.2017Azerbaijani President awards Rauf Abdullayev with order
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijani defense minister leaves for Tajikistan
- 15.09.2017Ashug Adalat laid to rest
- 14.09.2017Famous Azerbaijani ashug dies
- 11.09.2017“Modernism and Fashion” exhibition of Alexandre Vassiliev’s collection to open at Heydar Aliyev Center
- 09.09.2017Baku hosting 2nd Indonesian Cultural Festival
- 05.09.2017Karabakh-Collection designer Leonie Mergen featured in British Vogue
- 05.09.2017Top Indian band ‘Indian Ocean’ to present concerts in Azerbaijan
- 28.08.2017Ministry: No request received for organization of Googoosh concert in Azerbaijan
- 21.08.2017The Silk Road – and the spirit of Azerbaijan – combines with Monet’s inspirational environment
- 02.08.2017Jeanne Gendelman: Famous musicians performing in Gabala, onlookers enjoying festive atmosphere
- 17.07.2017Sculptor Tokay Mammadov awarded honorary diploma of Azerbaijani president
- 11.07.2017“Pomegranate Orchard” film nominated for Asia Pacific Screen Awards
- 31.05.2017Armenia breaks ceasefire with Azerbaijan 120 times in 24 hours
- 22.05.2017Shahin Novrasli – presented by the legendary Ahmad Jamal in Paris
- 05.05.2017Carpet stolen by Armenians from Karabakh, taken to US to be exhibited in Baku
- 09.03.2017European premiere of “Ali and Nino” held in Brussels
- 23.02.2017Not Frozen, Never Forgotten – the plight of Azerbaijani IDPs highlighted in Brussels
- 30.01.2017Film scripted by APA Holding employee invited to int’l film festival
- 28.12.2016Famous Azerbaijani singer Zeynab Khanlarova turns 80 today
- 26.12.2016Azerbaijani People’s artist Aghakhan Abdullayev laid to rest
- 26.12.2016First Lady Mehriban Aliyeva attends farewell ceremony for People’s Artist Aghakhan Abdullayev
- 22.12.2016Azerbaijani people’s artist Mukhtar Maniyev passes away
- 14.09.2016Pope Francis thanks Azerbaijani sculptor for making his bust
- 09.09.2016Endless corridor movie to be shown in Al Jazeera TV
- 31.08.2016Azerbaijani composer Ogtay Zulfugarov dies aged 88
- 25.08.2016Azerbaijani composer to give concert in Paris
- 19.08.2016French magazine publishes articles on Azerbaijani jazz
- 26.07.2016Azerbaijani classical music discussed in Los Angeles
- 20.07.2016Azerbaijani spirit comes to two leading London jazz clubs
- 30.06.2016Baku hosts photo exhibition depicting life of national minorities
- 17.06.2016Exhibition of famous artist George Condo opens at Heydar Aliyev Center
- 09.06.2016Heydar Aliyev Center to host George Condo’s exhibition
- 18.05.2016Vital role of Azerbaijani oil in WWII victory highlighted in Los Angeles
- 27.04.2016Films on Azerbaijan produced in Los Angeles
- 12.04.2016Pascal Contet and Travelling Quartet to perform at Heydar Aliyev Center
- 07.03.2016Vidadi Muradov awarded Shohrat Order
- 04.03.2016Statue of Maestro Niyazi to be raised in Baku
- 27.10.2016Baku to host European film festival
- 12.12.2016Honored artist of Azerbaijan Ismayil Mammadov dies
- 14.12.2016Great cultural, literary figures Azerbaijan and the world lost in 2016 - LIST
- 24.10.2016Jeffrey Werbock: Had I not known Azerbaijan, I would have been living ordinary life - INTERVIEW
- 21.10.2016“Sayat Nova is Azerbaijani, not Armenian; he is Seyat Neva”
- 06.10.2016Mehriban Aliyeva attends premiere of "Ali and Nino"