PACE adopts two resolutions on reports related to Azerbaijan - UPDATED-1
The Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) has adopted Resolution No.14397 on the report “Azerbaijan’s Chairmanship of the Council of Europe: What follow-up on respect for human rights?” by Belgian MP Alain Destexhe.
After the discussions, amendments were made to the report. Some 114 parliamentarians voted for and 24 against the resolution, an APA correspondent reported from Strasbourg.
The report was adopted at the PACE plenary session on Oct. 10. Some 117 parliamentarians voted for and 18 against the report by co-rapporteurs Stefan Schennach and Cezar Florin Preda, an APA correspondent reported from Strasbourg.
First, the report “The functioning of democratic institutions in Azerbaijan” by Stefan Schennach (Austria, SOC) and Cezar Florin Preda (Romania, EPP/CD), the co-rapporteurs on Azerbaijan, was presented, APA’s European bureau reported.
The following report heard at the plenary session was “Azerbaijan’s Chairmanship of the Council of Europe: What follow-up on respect for human rights?” by Alain Destexhe, who, due to his absence, was represented by Ukrainian MP Olena Sotnik.
The co-rapporteurs talked about their trips to Azerbaijan and the meetings they had. They also have a brief summary of their report.
Schennach said that in his recent visits to Azerbaijan he has met with state officials as well as representatives of civil society and prisoners.
"We’re not here to give lessons to any country. Rather we just offer our support for the democratic development of the member states. We have noticed improvements in many areas in Azerbaijan. We have made progress by cooperating with government representatives,” he added.
Both reports then continued to be discussed.
Related news releases
- 17.02.2018Baku hosts event in support of Turkey’s Afrin op
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM attends roundtable at Munich Security Conference
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia's speaking of peace is a 'clear hypocrisy'
- 16.02.2018Baku reacts to Russian MFA spokesperson’s remarks
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE chairman
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan invites int’l observers to monitor upcoming presidential election – EU envoy
- 16.02.201854th Munich Security Conference to start today
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president: New agreement with EU to create a new co-op format
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Donald Trump
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Italian deputy economic development minister
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend Munich Security Conference
- 15.02.2018Summit of Caspian states to take place in 2H18
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Serbian counterpart
- 14.02.2018GUAM to send observation mission for upcoming presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Another member of "Music for Peace" project off Azerbaijan’s ‘black list’
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan excludes another Russian musician from “blacklist”
- 14.02.2018Ali Hasanov: Legal proceedings to be initiated against organizers, executors of anti-Azerbaijani campaign
- 14.02.2018Russian musician Vitaly Vatulya removed from Azerbaijan’s ‘blacklist’
- 14.02.2018FM: Co-op with EU does not affect Azerbaijan’s friendly ties with Russia
- 14.02.2018Council of Europe receives invitations from Azerbaijan to observe technical preparation meetings for presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan one of most active members of PACE – CoE Baku Office
- 14.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Azerbaijan, EU have some divergent views on issues of trade, tariffs and subsidies
- 14.02.2018FM: Azerbaijan attaches great importance to development of strategic partnership with Russia
- 14.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives British PM's trade envoy
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan removes Argentinean musician from ‘blacklist’
- 14.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives US delegation
- 14.02.2018British PM's trade envoy arrives in Azerbaijan
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijan invites PACE to observe presidential election
- 13.02.2018Milan court acquits Luca Volontè accused of political corruption linked to Azerbaijan
- 13.02.2018CIS Inter-Parliamentary Assembly to observe presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 13.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Formula 1 Group CEO
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijan sends invitation to ODIHR for observation of presidential election
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani FM meets with delegation of Holy See
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Russian counterpart
- 10.02.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Iranian counterpart
- 10.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation of Holy See - UPDATED
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijani Ambassador to Estonia met with Vice-Mayor of Tallinn
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijan, EU agree to create mechanism for dialogue on security and energy issues
- 09.02.2018EU’s Mogherini reiterates importance of respect for fundamental freedoms, human rights
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijan says 2017 proved to be productive for advancement of co-op with EU
- 11.10.2017CIS summit kicks off in Sochi
- 11.10.2017Samad Seyidov: Resolutions on Azerbaijan adopted today bring shame upon PACE
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijani president addresses CIS summit
- 11.10.2017MP Samad Seyidov accuses Council of Europe of biased attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijani president in Sochi for CIS summit
- 10.10.2017Candidate for the post of UNESCO Director General Polad Bulbuloglu left the election race