Turkey’s Erdogan calls for recognition of Jerusalem as ‘occupied capital of Palestine’
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has called on all countries to recognize Jerusalem as the occupied capital of Palestine.
Erdogan announced about this addressing the opening of the summit of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) in Istanbul devoted to the issue of Jerusalem, an APA correspondent reported from Istanbul.
“There is no need to say anything to Israel. The truth is obvious. Israel was awarded for such terrorist acts as occupation, illegal settlement, the destruction of houses, the seizure of territories and property. And this award was given by Trump,” said the Turkish leader.
Nothing happens in the world in line with the principle “I did it, and I did it right”, noted Erdogan.
Erdogan said that he believes 196 UN member states will display a common response to the U.S. decision. “You [U.S.] can be strong, posse weapons and nuclear warheads. But it doesn’t mean that you are powerful. In this matter, you are not right,” he added.
The Turkish leader described such an action by the U.S. as a threat to humanity.
“It’s impossible to talk about lasting peace until this issue is resolved fairly. We cannot remain indifferent to this matter that affects everybody’s future. This also a heavy blow to our culture,” said Erdogan.
Erdogan said he believes this issue will be resolved by the joint efforts of people of all faiths.
“I urge all countries to recognize Jerusalem as the occupied capital of Palestine,” said the Turkish president, adding that Muslim countries would never give upon the sovereignty and independence of Palestine.
Erdogan strongly condemned the actions of Israeli soldiers against Palestinians, calling Jerusalem ‘a red line’ for the Muslim world.
Related news releases
- 16.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Putin on successful organization of FIFA 2020 World Cup
- 16.07.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Croatian counterpart
- 16.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Macron on France’s World Cup victory
- 16.07.2018Tehran condemns terror attack in Azerbaijan’s Ganja city
- 16.07.2018Traitors try to commit terrorist acts in Azerbaijan under guise of religion – Turkish envoy
- 16.07.2018Azerbaijani official: Impossible to defeat national will
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijani president to pay an official visit to France
- 14.07.2018Mehmet Akarca: Azerbaijan’s anti-FETO fight makes Turkey proud
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Pakistani counterpart
- 13.07.2018Armenia disrespects UN Charter and member states, says Baku
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijani president receives Iranian minister of health and medical education
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijani President attends North Atlantic Council meeting
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijan commends reiterated support by NATO members to its territorial integrity – Baku
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijan’s foreign and defense ministers meet with U.S. secretaries of state and defense - UPDATED
- 12.07.2018President Aliyev meets UN under-secretary-general
- 12.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends meeting on NATO mission in Afghanistan
- 12.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev attended reception hosted for leaders of NATO allies and partner nations
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijani, Afghan presidents meet in Brussels
- 11.07.2018MFA: Azerbaijan commends reiterated continuous support by EU to its territorial integrity
- 11.07.2018Aktau to host summit of Caspian states in early August
- 11.07.2018Document on Azerbaijan-EU partnership priorities initialed
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan to promote real regional co-op during BSEC chairmanship: Foreign Ministry
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan, EU expected to initial document new partnership priorities
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan’s successes seriously disturb some foreign circles – MFA
- 10.07.2018President of Azerbaijan pays a visit to Belgium
- 10.07.2018Turkish president ends official visit to Azerbaijan
- 10.07.2018Erdogan: TANAP is a ‘strategic investment’ made in Turkey-Azerbaijan brotherhood
- 10.07.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Turkey relations stand at highest level
- 10.07.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish presidents hold expanded meeting
- 10.07.2018Erdogan: Turkey-Azerbaijan brotherhood will continue to grow stronger
- 10.07.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 10.07.2018Erdogan welcomed with official ceremony in Azerbaijan
- 10.07.2018Turkish president arrives in Azerbaijan
- 09.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan plans to implement large number of industrial and infrastructure projects - UPDATED
- 09.07.2018Baku: EU-Azerbaijan ties to develop despite position of some forces in European Parliament
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijani PM to attend Erdogan’s inauguration
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijan intends to raise co-op with SCO to higher level – Mammadyarov
- 07.07.2018OSCE PA’s 27th annual session begins
- 06.07.2018Ramazan Abdulatipov: Caspian ‘on the brink of disaster’
- 05.07.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan is becoming important East-West and North-South transport corridor - UPDATED
- 13.12.2017Mahmoud Abbas rules out U.S. mediator role in Palestine-Israel peace process
- 13.12.2017U.S. provides over $30.8 million for mine and UXO clearance in Azerbaijan
- 13.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: U.S. should reconsider its decision on Jerusalem
- 13.12.2017Erdogan calls Israel an ‘occupying and terror state’
- 13.12.2017OIC summit on Jerusalem kicks off in Istanbul
- 13.12.2017OIC FMs meet in Istanbul to discuss Jerusalem issue