Turkey’s Erdogan calls for recognition of Jerusalem as ‘occupied capital of Palestine’
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has called on all countries to recognize Jerusalem as the occupied capital of Palestine.
Erdogan announced about this addressing the opening of the summit of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) in Istanbul devoted to the issue of Jerusalem, an APA correspondent reported from Istanbul.
“There is no need to say anything to Israel. The truth is obvious. Israel was awarded for such terrorist acts as occupation, illegal settlement, the destruction of houses, the seizure of territories and property. And this award was given by Trump,” said the Turkish leader.
Nothing happens in the world in line with the principle “I did it, and I did it right”, noted Erdogan.
Erdogan said that he believes 196 UN member states will display a common response to the U.S. decision. “You [U.S.] can be strong, posse weapons and nuclear warheads. But it doesn’t mean that you are powerful. In this matter, you are not right,” he added.
The Turkish leader described such an action by the U.S. as a threat to humanity.
“It’s impossible to talk about lasting peace until this issue is resolved fairly. We cannot remain indifferent to this matter that affects everybody’s future. This also a heavy blow to our culture,” said Erdogan.
Erdogan said he believes this issue will be resolved by the joint efforts of people of all faiths.
“I urge all countries to recognize Jerusalem as the occupied capital of Palestine,” said the Turkish president, adding that Muslim countries would never give upon the sovereignty and independence of Palestine.
Erdogan strongly condemned the actions of Israeli soldiers against Palestinians, calling Jerusalem ‘a red line’ for the Muslim world.
Related news releases
- 21.04.2018Georgian PM congratulates Novruz Mammadov
- 21.04.2018TANAP, TAP to play important role in ensuring Europe’s energy security – Turkish minister
- 21.04.2018Plight of Azerbaijani IDPs to be highlighted at PACE spring session
- 20.04.2018Baku: Belgian MPs’ acting as supporters of Kaspar Karampetian causes regret
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani Emergency Situations Ministry hosts meeting with foreign military attaches
- 20.04.2018King of Saudi Arabia congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 20.04.2018Miroslav Lajčák: UN’s success in preventing conflict should be the norm – not the exception
- 20.04.2018German president congratulates Ilham Aliyev on re-election as Azerbaijani president
- 19.04.2018Mohammed VI, King of Morocco congratulates Ilham Aliyev on re-election as Azerbaijani president
- 19.04.2018Zakharova: We're glad that there is an unbiased view of Skripal issue in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.2018Zakharova: Relations with Azerbaijan a foreign policy priority for Russia
- 19.04.2018Top Russian, NATO generals meet in Baku
- 19.04.2018Military expert: Baku meeting of Russian, NATO generals aimed at preventing ‘threat of a third world war’
- 19.04.2018Steven Seagal congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to George H.W. Bush
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives NATO delegation
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian General Staff Chief
- 19.04.2018Top Russian, NATO generals to meet in Baku
- 19.04.2018President of the Swiss Confederation congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 19.04.2018President of Hungary congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 18.04.2018Mammadyarov: Metsamor NPP poses serious threat in terms of smuggling of radioactive materials
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Israeli counterpart
- 18.04.2018Ambassador comments on reports of 3 Azerbaijani women getting death penalty in Iraq
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan always focuses on strengthening solidarity between Islamic countries’ youth
- 18.04.2018Lithuanian president congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives IAEA chief
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with youth and sports ministers of OIC countries
- 18.04.2018Azerbaijan appoints ambassador to North Korea
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has achieved great successes on int’l arena over past 15 years
- 18.04.2018Robert Cekuta: Ilham Aliyev’s re-election – positive factor for stability, development
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits Alley of Martyrs
- 17.04.2018Rumen Radev sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 17.04.2018ECO Dushanbe communique expresses concern over Karabakh conflict
- 17.04.2018May 28 proclaimed Azerbaijan National Day in Chicago
- 16.04.2018China’s Xi congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 16.04.2018Mahmoud Abbas sends congratulatory letter to Ilham Aliyev
- 16.04.2018Azerbaijan to be represented at ECO Foreign Ministers Council meeting
- 16.04.2018Azerbaijan presidential election report to be heard at PACE Bureau meeting
- 16.04.2018Arizona Senate adopts proclamation expressing firm support for Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 14.04.2018CoE Secretary General congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 13.12.2017Mahmoud Abbas rules out U.S. mediator role in Palestine-Israel peace process
- 13.12.2017U.S. provides over $30.8 million for mine and UXO clearance in Azerbaijan
- 13.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: U.S. should reconsider its decision on Jerusalem
- 13.12.2017Erdogan calls Israel an ‘occupying and terror state’
- 13.12.2017OIC summit on Jerusalem kicks off in Istanbul
- 13.12.2017OIC FMs meet in Istanbul to discuss Jerusalem issue