Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry's ex-official
The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Wednesday continued the trial in the criminal case involving Vidadi Zeynalov, head of the Office of the Ministry of Communications and High Technologies of Azerbaijan, and others arrested with him.
During the trial, attorneys made a petition. Defendant Bayram Valiyev was brought to the courtroom in a stretcher, APA reported.
Valiyev’s attorney asked for his defendant’s pretrial detention to be replaced with house arrest given his deteriorating health.
“Bayram Valiyev needs special medical aid. His problem is linked with the nervous system and painkillers do not help any more. Bayram is unable to fulfill his duties as a defendant. I’m asking you to replace his pretrial detention with house arrest,” he said.
Vidadi Zeynalov’s attorney Baylar Mamishov said that the charges faced by his defendant cover the period 2009 to 2015 and that 67 properties claimed to be his have been put arrest on.
“…while the truth is, only two of those properties actually belong to Vidadi Zeynalov. One of those two properties was seized before the period the indictment applies to. Vidadi Zeynalov’s sisters’ properties are under arrest as well. This is a violation of property rights. I suggest that the arrest on his properties be lifted and the properties be sold to compensate for the damage,” he said.
Judge Afgan Hajiyev said that the property-related issue will be assessed in the consulting room in the end.
Defendants Namazali Mammadov and Anar Mustafayev filed a petition asking the court to hold a repeat expertise and question the experts of the Finance Ministry. The petitions remained unconsidered. The court rejected the petition regarding commuting Valiyev’s detention to home arrest.
In this case, Valiyev’s attorney objected to the composition of the court. The attorney noted that Valiyev is absent in the hearing due to the problems in his health and he objects to the court’s conducting an investigation in this case.
Commenting on the petition regarding objection to the court composition, the other defendants said that the decision is left to the discretion of the court. Bayram Valiyev objected to these opinions of them, and used offensive words. “They don’t defend the petition because they are the guilty”, he said.
The court board considered the objection groundless and rejected it.
The hearing will be continued on March 29.
A series of investigative operations had discovered that in 2009-2015, the director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, entered into a criminal conspiracy with the director of “Bakı Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev, gave them a project for the implementation of works on the new telephone lines and installation of new equipment. According to the agreement concluded between them, 35-45% are listed on the accounts of these companies means then had to be returned in cash to Beytullah Huseynov. After that Beytullah Huseynov, abusing official powers and organizing sham tenders issued forged documents, which indicated that the work for the fiber-optic lines for the Internet were carried out by companies controlled by him, though in reality, these works were carried out by local telephone networks. Because of these machinations Beytulla Huseynov misappropriated 21,379,000 of 71,263 million manats, transfers to accounts controlled by him LLC. However, investigators have reason to suspect that the head of the ministry’s Office, Vidadi Zeynalov, processing government orders to close the company itself and increasing their value by 4-5 times, misappropriated 73.59 million manats.
The investigation revealed cases of appropriation of budgetary funds and forgery in “Aztelekom” LLC, “AzİnTelekom” LLC, Center for information and calculations, “Optik Rabite Tikinti ve Qurashdırma”.
The director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, the director of “Bakı Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev are charged under articles 179.3.2 (embezzlement on a large scale), 308.2 (abuse of power) and 313 (forgery) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
The head of the ministry’s Office Vidadi Zeynalov, the director general of AzInTelekom LLC Jalil Jafarov, the director general of Azerpocht LLC Gambar Beybalayev face charges under articles 179.3.2 and 308.2. A preventive measure in the form of arrest has been chosen against all of those persons.
Related news releases
- 17.02.2018Baku hosts event in support of Turkey’s Afrin op
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM attends roundtable at Munich Security Conference
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia's speaking of peace is a 'clear hypocrisy'
- 16.02.2018Baku reacts to Russian MFA spokesperson’s remarks
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE chairman
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan invites int’l observers to monitor upcoming presidential election – EU envoy
- 16.02.201854th Munich Security Conference to start today
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president: New agreement with EU to create a new co-op format
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Donald Trump
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Italian deputy economic development minister
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend Munich Security Conference
- 15.02.2018Summit of Caspian states to take place in 2H18
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Serbian counterpart
- 14.02.2018GUAM to send observation mission for upcoming presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Another member of "Music for Peace" project off Azerbaijan’s ‘black list’
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan excludes another Russian musician from “blacklist”
- 14.02.2018Ali Hasanov: Legal proceedings to be initiated against organizers, executors of anti-Azerbaijani campaign
- 14.02.2018Russian musician Vitaly Vatulya removed from Azerbaijan’s ‘blacklist’
- 14.02.2018FM: Co-op with EU does not affect Azerbaijan’s friendly ties with Russia
- 14.02.2018Council of Europe receives invitations from Azerbaijan to observe technical preparation meetings for presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan one of most active members of PACE – CoE Baku Office
- 14.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Azerbaijan, EU have some divergent views on issues of trade, tariffs and subsidies
- 14.02.2018FM: Azerbaijan attaches great importance to development of strategic partnership with Russia
- 14.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives British PM's trade envoy
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan removes Argentinean musician from ‘blacklist’
- 14.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives US delegation
- 14.02.2018British PM's trade envoy arrives in Azerbaijan
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijan invites PACE to observe presidential election
- 13.02.2018Milan court acquits Luca Volontè accused of political corruption linked to Azerbaijan
- 13.02.2018CIS Inter-Parliamentary Assembly to observe presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 13.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Formula 1 Group CEO
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijan sends invitation to ODIHR for observation of presidential election
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani FM meets with delegation of Holy See
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Russian counterpart
- 10.02.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Iranian counterpart
- 10.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation of Holy See - UPDATED
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijani Ambassador to Estonia met with Vice-Mayor of Tallinn
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijan, EU agree to create mechanism for dialogue on security and energy issues
- 09.02.2018EU’s Mogherini reiterates importance of respect for fundamental freedoms, human rights
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijan says 2017 proved to be productive for advancement of co-op with EU
- 17.03.2017Ilham Aliyev receives Iran’s ICT minister - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani president’s messages to French society and president: - OPINION
- 17.03.2017Fifth Global Baku Forum underway
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry summons Greek ambassador
- 17.03.2017Baku Forum features session on future of Europe
- 17.03.2017Slovenia’s ex-president calls for reconsideration of Eastern Partnership principles