Syrian ambassador to UN accuses some NAM countries of financing terrorism
The Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) is based on the principles of sovereignty, respect for territorial integrity, equality and non-interference in the internal affairs of the countries and the non-use of violence, said Syria’s Permanent Representative to the UN, Ambassador Bashar Jaafari.
He made these remarks at the NAM Mid-Term Ministerial Conference, titled “Promoting international peace and security for sustainable development”, in Baku on Friday, APA reports.
“But some NAM member states go beyond these principles, violating the principles of the Non-Aligned Movement and the UN Charter," Jaafari noted.
He stressed that these factors negatively affect the historical role of the organization.
"All this requires us to be even stronger. One of the biggest problems facing the region is the spread of terrorism by arms supplies and financial support of some NAM member states," the Syrian envoy added.
Jaafari said that the principles of Syria’s territorial integrity and sovereignty are violated due to a failure to end Israel’s impunity for the occupation policy.
“Israel occupied the Golan Heights of Syria, parts of Palestine and Lebanon and continues to commit crimes against civilians. We will never accept the occupation of the Golan Heights,” he noted.
With regard to the Palestinian issue, the Syrian envoy reiterated his country’s support for the Palestinians’ right to self-determination.
He emphasized that the settlement of the Syrian conflict should be based on the principles of territorial integrity and sovereignty.
Jaafari called on the NAM member states to condemn the policy of military aggression by the U.S. and Turkey against Syria.
Related news releases
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish presidents dined together
- 24.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits Heydar Aliyev Park in Ankara
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani president arrives in Turkey on official visit
- 24.04.2018UN secretary general congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 24.04.2018France’s Macron congratulates President Ilham Aliyev on presidential election victory
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijan’s consul general addresses Los Angeles Baha’i community
- 24.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian foreign intelligence chief
- 23.04.2018Azarbaijan's president to visit Turkey on Tuesday
- 23.04.2018Samad Seyidov: I’ve been in PACE for 18 years and no one can accuse me of corruption
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Afghan counterpart
- 23.04.2018Pakistani president congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 23.04.2018Israeli PM Netanyahu congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 23.04.2018Russian minister: Stability in Azerbaijan is of great importance
- 23.04.2018PACE spring session kicks off today
- 21.04.2018Georgian PM congratulates Novruz Mammadov
- 21.04.2018TANAP, TAP to play important role in ensuring Europe’s energy security – Turkish minister
- 21.04.2018Plight of Azerbaijani IDPs to be highlighted at PACE spring session
- 20.04.2018Baku: Belgian MPs’ acting as supporters of Kaspar Karampetian causes regret
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani Emergency Situations Ministry hosts meeting with foreign military attaches
- 20.04.2018King of Saudi Arabia congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 20.04.2018Miroslav Lajčák: UN’s success in preventing conflict should be the norm – not the exception
- 20.04.2018German president congratulates Ilham Aliyev on re-election as Azerbaijani president
- 19.04.2018Mohammed VI, King of Morocco congratulates Ilham Aliyev on re-election as Azerbaijani president
- 19.04.2018Zakharova: We're glad that there is an unbiased view of Skripal issue in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.2018Zakharova: Relations with Azerbaijan a foreign policy priority for Russia
- 19.04.2018Top Russian, NATO generals meet in Baku
- 19.04.2018Military expert: Baku meeting of Russian, NATO generals aimed at preventing ‘threat of a third world war’
- 19.04.2018Steven Seagal congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to George H.W. Bush
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives NATO delegation
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian General Staff Chief
- 19.04.2018Top Russian, NATO generals to meet in Baku
- 19.04.2018President of the Swiss Confederation congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 19.04.2018President of Hungary congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 18.04.2018Mammadyarov: Metsamor NPP poses serious threat in terms of smuggling of radioactive materials
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Israeli counterpart
- 18.04.2018Ambassador comments on reports of 3 Azerbaijani women getting death penalty in Iraq
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan always focuses on strengthening solidarity between Islamic countries’ youth
- 18.04.2018Lithuanian president congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives IAEA chief
- 06.04.2018Ambassador Bashar Jaafari calls on Turkey to pull its troops out of Syria
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijani Embassy in France dismisses allegations on issuance of ID card to Eduard Grigoryan
- 06.04.2018Number of Iraqi tourists visiting Azerbaijan on the rise – deputy FM
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijan is modern Muslim country: UAE FM
- 05.04.2018Azerbaijani President: "Azerbaijan becomes a platform for global cooperation"
- 05.04.2018Israel grossly violates international law by keeping Gaza Strip in blockade – Iranian FM