Southern Gas Corridor is a living example of multilateral cooperation in the EU’s East
The Embassy of Azerbaijan in Brussels responded to the biased article about the Southern Gas Corridor by CEE Bankwach at EURACTIV news portal covering European issues.
The multi-billion euro Southern Gas Corridor should not be seen as a mere energy security project; it is a robust interconnectivity initiative which will bring closer other partners in Central Asia seeking access to the EU market, writes the Embassy of Azerbaijan to the EU.
The article reads that failing to provide any evidence on the alleged environmental hazards of this project and its disadvantages to the European community, the article by CEE Bankwatch tends to blend rumours with unfounded accusations with the sole aim of discrediting Azerbaijan at any opportunity.
“It should be emphasised that the strategic role of Azerbaijan in enabling and contributing to the energy security of Europe has been widely recognised and hailed by the EU as a result of tangible efforts made by Azerbaijan, through building new interconnections and pipelines starting from the 1990s. For Europe Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan and Baku-Tbilisi-Erzurum heralded alternative volumes from alternative sources, the concept which was developed and put in place by deceased President Heydar Aliyev.
Currently Azerbaijan supplies 5% of the EU’s gas demand. A multibillion euro Southern Gas Corridor should not be seen as a mere energy security project; it is a robust interconnectivity initiative which will bring closer other partners in Central Asia seeking access to the EU market.
SGC is a living example of multilateral cooperation in the Eastern Partnership involving dynamic interaction among its stakeholders, particularly two EU member states, two candidate countries, one associate partner and Azerbaijan for the realisation of the project.
SGC is further delivering on Eastern Partnership goals, by strengthening state, economic and societal resilience through creating thousands of jobs in EU and other countries. The trans-Adriatic Pipeline, a major component of SGC, is one of the greatest direct foreign investment projects carried out in Greece. For Greece, it means an investment of over €1.5 billion and 8,000 jobs.
The trans-Adriatic Pipeline has developed an environmental, cultural and social heritage management system to support the implementation of project standards presented in Environmental and Social Impact Assessments approved by host country governments. In order to achieve protection and preservation of the natural environment, TAP and its contractors have completed extensive multi-disciplinary pre-construction studies involving environmental, social and cultural heritage. Moreover, every olive tree in the Italian section is surveyed accurately and carefully removed to a temporary storage area in order to be replanted once the pipeline layoff is finished. TAP will also help provide a better energy supply mix for consumers in the Balkans and south-eastern Europe as well as achieve significant CO2 reductions through the substitution of obsolete coal-fired power plants.
The EU as well as project stakeholders are bearing full witness to the SGC’s benefits and therefore they are committed to creating an enabling environment in order to make it fully operational. The EBRD’s lending decision is a right step towards materialising the EU’s pragmatic approach to the project,” reads the article
Related news releases
- 23.04.2018Azarbaijan's president to visit Turkey on Tuesday
- 23.04.2018Samad Seyidov: I’ve been in PACE for 18 years and no one can accuse me of corruption
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Afghan counterpart
- 23.04.2018Pakistani president congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 23.04.2018Israeli PM Netanyahu congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 23.04.2018Russian minister: Stability in Azerbaijan is of great importance
- 23.04.2018PACE spring session kicks off today
- 21.04.2018Georgian PM congratulates Novruz Mammadov
- 21.04.2018TANAP, TAP to play important role in ensuring Europe’s energy security – Turkish minister
- 21.04.2018Plight of Azerbaijani IDPs to be highlighted at PACE spring session
- 20.04.2018Baku: Belgian MPs’ acting as supporters of Kaspar Karampetian causes regret
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani Emergency Situations Ministry hosts meeting with foreign military attaches
- 20.04.2018King of Saudi Arabia congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 20.04.2018Miroslav Lajčák: UN’s success in preventing conflict should be the norm – not the exception
- 20.04.2018German president congratulates Ilham Aliyev on re-election as Azerbaijani president
- 19.04.2018Mohammed VI, King of Morocco congratulates Ilham Aliyev on re-election as Azerbaijani president
- 19.04.2018Zakharova: We're glad that there is an unbiased view of Skripal issue in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.2018Zakharova: Relations with Azerbaijan a foreign policy priority for Russia
- 19.04.2018Top Russian, NATO generals meet in Baku
- 19.04.2018Military expert: Baku meeting of Russian, NATO generals aimed at preventing ‘threat of a third world war’
- 19.04.2018Steven Seagal congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to George H.W. Bush
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives NATO delegation
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian General Staff Chief
- 19.04.2018Top Russian, NATO generals to meet in Baku
- 19.04.2018President of the Swiss Confederation congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 19.04.2018President of Hungary congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 18.04.2018Mammadyarov: Metsamor NPP poses serious threat in terms of smuggling of radioactive materials
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Israeli counterpart
- 18.04.2018Ambassador comments on reports of 3 Azerbaijani women getting death penalty in Iraq
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan always focuses on strengthening solidarity between Islamic countries’ youth
- 18.04.2018Lithuanian president congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives IAEA chief
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with youth and sports ministers of OIC countries
- 18.04.2018Azerbaijan appoints ambassador to North Korea
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has achieved great successes on int’l arena over past 15 years
- 18.04.2018Robert Cekuta: Ilham Aliyev’s re-election – positive factor for stability, development
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits Alley of Martyrs
- 17.04.2018Rumen Radev sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 17.04.2018ECO Dushanbe communique expresses concern over Karabakh conflict
- 30.11.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish foreign ministers meet in Baku
- 30.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Turkish FM Cavusoglu
- 30.11.2017Azerbaijani president receives Pakistani foreign minister
- 29.11.2017Turkish FM arrives in Baku
- 29.11.2017Azerbaijani gov’t responds to Council of Europe Committee of Ministers decision on Ilgar Mammadov’s case
- 29.11.2017Costa Rica opens embassy in Baku