Southern Gas Corridor is a living example of multilateral cooperation in the EU’s East
The Embassy of Azerbaijan in Brussels responded to the biased article about the Southern Gas Corridor by CEE Bankwach at EURACTIV news portal covering European issues.
The multi-billion euro Southern Gas Corridor should not be seen as a mere energy security project; it is a robust interconnectivity initiative which will bring closer other partners in Central Asia seeking access to the EU market, writes the Embassy of Azerbaijan to the EU.
The article reads that failing to provide any evidence on the alleged environmental hazards of this project and its disadvantages to the European community, the article by CEE Bankwatch tends to blend rumours with unfounded accusations with the sole aim of discrediting Azerbaijan at any opportunity.
“It should be emphasised that the strategic role of Azerbaijan in enabling and contributing to the energy security of Europe has been widely recognised and hailed by the EU as a result of tangible efforts made by Azerbaijan, through building new interconnections and pipelines starting from the 1990s. For Europe Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan and Baku-Tbilisi-Erzurum heralded alternative volumes from alternative sources, the concept which was developed and put in place by deceased President Heydar Aliyev.
Currently Azerbaijan supplies 5% of the EU’s gas demand. A multibillion euro Southern Gas Corridor should not be seen as a mere energy security project; it is a robust interconnectivity initiative which will bring closer other partners in Central Asia seeking access to the EU market.
SGC is a living example of multilateral cooperation in the Eastern Partnership involving dynamic interaction among its stakeholders, particularly two EU member states, two candidate countries, one associate partner and Azerbaijan for the realisation of the project.
SGC is further delivering on Eastern Partnership goals, by strengthening state, economic and societal resilience through creating thousands of jobs in EU and other countries. The trans-Adriatic Pipeline, a major component of SGC, is one of the greatest direct foreign investment projects carried out in Greece. For Greece, it means an investment of over €1.5 billion and 8,000 jobs.
The trans-Adriatic Pipeline has developed an environmental, cultural and social heritage management system to support the implementation of project standards presented in Environmental and Social Impact Assessments approved by host country governments. In order to achieve protection and preservation of the natural environment, TAP and its contractors have completed extensive multi-disciplinary pre-construction studies involving environmental, social and cultural heritage. Moreover, every olive tree in the Italian section is surveyed accurately and carefully removed to a temporary storage area in order to be replanted once the pipeline layoff is finished. TAP will also help provide a better energy supply mix for consumers in the Balkans and south-eastern Europe as well as achieve significant CO2 reductions through the substitution of obsolete coal-fired power plants.
The EU as well as project stakeholders are bearing full witness to the SGC’s benefits and therefore they are committed to creating an enabling environment in order to make it fully operational. The EBRD’s lending decision is a right step towards materialising the EU’s pragmatic approach to the project,” reads the article
Related news releases
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Managing Director of Wilmotte & Associes Architectes
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chief Executive Officer of SUEZ
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev met with President of French Senate
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President meets with Airbus vice-president for Eurasia
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chairman and CEO of Total
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chairman and CEO of Naval Group in Paris
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President meets with Executive Chairman of French Institute of International Relations in Paris
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani president arrives in France
- 19.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: Azerbaijan can become ‘the main hero of a new page’ in development of economic potential of three seas
- 19.07.2018Turkish FM expected to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.07.2018Baku hosts Azerbaijan-Italy business forum
- 19.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: "Italy will remain sincere, resolute and loyal partner to Azerbaijan"
- 19.07.2018President of Azerbaijan: "Cooperation between Azerbaijan and Italy successfully develops in all directions"
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President signs order on awarding "Shohrat" Order to Laura Mattarella
- 18.07.2018FMs of Caspian states to meet before summit of heads of state
- 18.07.2018Baku urges foreign journalists to respect Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 18.07.2018OSCE/ODIHR releases final report on Azerbaijan’s presidential election
- 18.07.2018Caspian gas ‘very important’ for Europe – Italian president
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijan, Italy ink bilateral documents
- 18.07.2018Presidents of Azerbaijan, Italy hold expanded meeting
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijani, Italian presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 18.07.2018Italian president welcomed with official ceremony in Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2018Italian President arrives in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 17.07.2018Russia-Azerbaijan ties ‘on the rise’ – new envoy
- 17.07.2018Date set for summit of Caspian states
- 17.07.2018Date of Azerbaijani president’s visit to Russia rescheduled
- 16.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Putin on successful organization of FIFA 2020 World Cup
- 16.07.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Croatian counterpart
- 16.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Macron on France’s World Cup victory
- 16.07.2018Tehran condemns terror attack in Azerbaijan’s Ganja city
- 16.07.2018Traitors try to commit terrorist acts in Azerbaijan under guise of religion – Turkish envoy
- 16.07.2018Azerbaijani official: Impossible to defeat national will
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijani president to pay an official visit to France
- 14.07.2018Mehmet Akarca: Azerbaijan’s anti-FETO fight makes Turkey proud
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Pakistani counterpart
- 13.07.2018Armenia disrespects UN Charter and member states, says Baku
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijani president receives Iranian minister of health and medical education
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijani President attends North Atlantic Council meeting
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijan commends reiterated support by NATO members to its territorial integrity – Baku
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijan’s foreign and defense ministers meet with U.S. secretaries of state and defense - UPDATED
- 30.11.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish foreign ministers meet in Baku
- 30.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Turkish FM Cavusoglu
- 30.11.2017Azerbaijani president receives Pakistani foreign minister
- 29.11.2017Turkish FM arrives in Baku
- 29.11.2017Azerbaijani gov’t responds to Council of Europe Committee of Ministers decision on Ilgar Mammadov’s case
- 29.11.2017Costa Rica opens embassy in Baku