Samad Seyidov: Resolutions on Azerbaijan adopted today bring shame upon PACE
Discussions held at the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) on Oct. 11 once again demonstrated that various groups, especially those supported by Armenians, were trying hard to criticize Azerbaijan as strongly as possible, said Samad Seyidov, Azerbaijani MP, Head of the Azerbaijani delegation to the PACE, an APA correspondent reported from Strasbourg.
“Imagine that all those who would not normally participate in PACE meetings came here today so as not to miss this opportunity,” the MP said noting that these people are determined to launch a campaign of hatred and lobbyism against Azerbaijan.
"They brought up unbelievable lies and slanders against Azerbaijan, whose economic reforms, appointment of judges and development of legislation are recognized by all countries. But voicing the idea in the report that it is high time for Azerbaijan to carry out legal reforms simply means that that they are either unaware of what’s happening in Azerbaijan or just slandering our country,” Seyidov said.
He stressed that the main purpose of those people in today’s discussions was to create a gap in relations between Azerbaijan and the Council of Europe.
“But they failed as Azerbaijan’s development, stance, roles, and all that it has achieved were touched upon by both Azerbaijan’s delegation and some PACE deputies. What’s important is that they realized here that the Council of Europe Secretary General has put aside tens of thousands of cases in the European Court of Human Rights and has turned its sight to Azerbaijan only in order to blacken Azerbaijan’s image. We raised this issue here as well,” he added.
The Azerbaijani MP emphasized that behind some speeches are the financial support of the Armenian lobby.
“We specifically state those people are regularly working to establish dialogue with some countries but in their relations with Azerbaijan they are trying to create a gap,” Seyidov said.
These attempts are masterminded by forces that are hostile to Azerbaijan, the MP said adding “however, a campaign based on lies and slander is doomed to failure.”
Today, Azerbaijan is a strong and independent state, Seyidov stressed. “Both Council of Europe and PACE are more interested in developing relations with Azerbaijan than Azerbaijan with them. Because they understand that without Azerbaijan and its philosophy uniting East and West, PACE itself can not exist.”
The MP also accused some forces of trying to deny the reforms being carried out in Azerbaijan, as well as the assistance being provided to refugees and IDPs in the country.
The resolutions on Azerbaijan adopted at the PACE today bring shame upon the Assembly, Seyidov emphasized.
“The documents on Azerbaijan adopted today bring shame upon the PACE. I especially want to note the document “Azerbaijan’s Chairmanship of the Council of Europe: What follow-up on respect for human rights?” adopted on behalf of the Human Rights Committee. The artificial aggravation of tension and the inclusion of facts that are far from the truth in the resolution turn it into a non-serious document. Azerbaijan, as an independent state, can not work with such a document,” added Seyidov.
Related news releases
- 23.02.2018Moldovan president to visit Azerbaijan
- 23.02.2018U.S. aims to help Azerbaijan become a strong, prosperous state: Ambassador Cekuta
- 23.02.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets with head of Iran's Islamic Culture and Relations Organization
- 23.02.2018Erdogan: 415 sq km now under control in Afrin operation
- 23.02.2018Azerbaijan calls Dutch parliament’s decision ‘biased’
- 23.02.2018Film on Khojaly Genocide screened in California
- 22.02.2018OSCE PA special rep. on South Caucasus resigns
- 22.02.2018Ceremony of laying first border markers on Azerbaijani-Russian border held - UPDATED
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan's FM to address UN Human Rights Council's session
- 22.02.2018MFA: Appeals sent to int'l organizations for monitoring Azerbaijan presidential election
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan, Russia mulling border demarcation
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA, Prosecutor General’s Office issue joint statement on Sumgayit disturbances
- 21.02.2018Envoy Cekuta: U.S. supports transparent and credible electoral process
- 21.02.2018Ilham Aliyev receives ex-president of Dutch Senate
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani president receives Iran’s defense minister
- 21.02.2018Baku reacts to statement of French Foreign Ministry
- 20.02.2018Sergey Lebedev to lead CIS observation mission in Azerbaijan presidential election - UPDATED
- 20.02.2018Outgoing Czech ambassador to Azerbaijan to serve as envoy to Russia
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan names new ambassador to Jordan
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan appoints new consul in Batumi
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan mull energy cooperation
- 19.02.2018Montenegrin president to attend 6th Global Baku Forum
- 19.02.2018ODIHR needs assessment mission to arrive in Baku on Feb. 21 - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018PACE to decide on sending mission for observation of Azerbaijan presidential election in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Armenia’s hypocritical position is key impediment to achieving progress in Karabakh talks - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018EU special rep. for South Caucasus arrives in Baku
- 17.02.2018Baku hosts event in support of Turkey’s Afrin op
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM attends roundtable at Munich Security Conference
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia's speaking of peace is a 'clear hypocrisy'
- 16.02.2018Baku reacts to Russian MFA spokesperson’s remarks
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE chairman
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan invites int’l observers to monitor upcoming presidential election – EU envoy
- 16.02.201854th Munich Security Conference to start today
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president: New agreement with EU to create a new co-op format
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Donald Trump
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Italian deputy economic development minister
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend Munich Security Conference
- 15.02.2018Summit of Caspian states to take place in 2H18
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Serbian counterpart
- 14.02.2018GUAM to send observation mission for upcoming presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 29.01.2016Program of UN executive secretary’s visit to Azerbaijan made public
- 30.01.2016Russian Defense Ministry-run TV channel commits provocation against Azerbaijan
- 30.01.2016Provocation by Russian Defense Ministry-run TV channel against Azerbaijan – regrettable
- 29.01.20162016 to be year of energy and transport in terms of Turkish-Azerbaijani relations
- 28.01.2016European court passes 19 decisions on Azerbaijan in 2015
- 28.01.2016Hungarian ambassador visits Ganja