Samad Seyidov: Resolutions on Azerbaijan adopted today bring shame upon PACE
Discussions held at the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) on Oct. 11 once again demonstrated that various groups, especially those supported by Armenians, were trying hard to criticize Azerbaijan as strongly as possible, said Samad Seyidov, Azerbaijani MP, Head of the Azerbaijani delegation to the PACE, an APA correspondent reported from Strasbourg.
“Imagine that all those who would not normally participate in PACE meetings came here today so as not to miss this opportunity,” the MP said noting that these people are determined to launch a campaign of hatred and lobbyism against Azerbaijan.
"They brought up unbelievable lies and slanders against Azerbaijan, whose economic reforms, appointment of judges and development of legislation are recognized by all countries. But voicing the idea in the report that it is high time for Azerbaijan to carry out legal reforms simply means that that they are either unaware of what’s happening in Azerbaijan or just slandering our country,” Seyidov said.
He stressed that the main purpose of those people in today’s discussions was to create a gap in relations between Azerbaijan and the Council of Europe.
“But they failed as Azerbaijan’s development, stance, roles, and all that it has achieved were touched upon by both Azerbaijan’s delegation and some PACE deputies. What’s important is that they realized here that the Council of Europe Secretary General has put aside tens of thousands of cases in the European Court of Human Rights and has turned its sight to Azerbaijan only in order to blacken Azerbaijan’s image. We raised this issue here as well,” he added.
The Azerbaijani MP emphasized that behind some speeches are the financial support of the Armenian lobby.
“We specifically state those people are regularly working to establish dialogue with some countries but in their relations with Azerbaijan they are trying to create a gap,” Seyidov said.
These attempts are masterminded by forces that are hostile to Azerbaijan, the MP said adding “however, a campaign based on lies and slander is doomed to failure.”
Today, Azerbaijan is a strong and independent state, Seyidov stressed. “Both Council of Europe and PACE are more interested in developing relations with Azerbaijan than Azerbaijan with them. Because they understand that without Azerbaijan and its philosophy uniting East and West, PACE itself can not exist.”
The MP also accused some forces of trying to deny the reforms being carried out in Azerbaijan, as well as the assistance being provided to refugees and IDPs in the country.
The resolutions on Azerbaijan adopted at the PACE today bring shame upon the Assembly, Seyidov emphasized.
“The documents on Azerbaijan adopted today bring shame upon the PACE. I especially want to note the document “Azerbaijan’s Chairmanship of the Council of Europe: What follow-up on respect for human rights?” adopted on behalf of the Human Rights Committee. The artificial aggravation of tension and the inclusion of facts that are far from the truth in the resolution turn it into a non-serious document. Azerbaijan, as an independent state, can not work with such a document,” added Seyidov.
Related news releases
- 13.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: U.S. should reconsider its decision on Jerusalem
- 13.12.2017U.S. provides over $30.8 million for mine and UXO clearance in Azerbaijan
- 13.12.2017Mahmoud Abbas rules out U.S. mediator role in Palestine-Israel peace process
- 13.12.2017Turkey’s Erdogan calls for recognition of Jerusalem as ‘occupied capital of Palestine’
- 13.12.2017Erdogan calls Israel an ‘occupying and terror state’
- 13.12.2017OIC summit on Jerusalem kicks off in Istanbul
- 13.12.2017OIC FMs meet in Istanbul to discuss Jerusalem issue
- 12.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Turkey
- 12.12.2017Iran’s Rouhani to visit Azerbaijan next year
- 12.12.2017ECHR: Armenia has to pay for damage to Azerbaijani IDPs
- 12.12.2017Caucasian Muslims Office issues statement on al-Quds
- 12.12.2017Kazakh President Nazarbayev to propose date for Caspian summit
- 12.12.2017Deputy FM says he doesn’t believe in Azerbaijan’s accession to WTO in coming years
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan says issues on aviation agreement with EU can be resolved in early 2018
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan, Georgia to continue negotiations on border delimitation early next year
- 12.12.2017Caspian states to sign separate agreement on water surface division
- 12.12.2017No middle line or any common principle for division of Caspian seabed: Azerbaijani deputy FM
- 12.12.2017Talks on new Azerbaijan-EU agreement may end by late 2018 – deputy FM
- 11.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian State Duma delegation
- 09.12.2017Erdogan invites Ilham Aliyev to attend OIC summit on Jerusalem issue
- 08.12.2017President Aliyev appoints Azerbaijan’s honorary consul to Djibouti
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan appoints new ambassador to Croatia
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan recalls ambassador from Tajikistan
- 08.12.2017Russia never requested Azerbaijan for agrément for Georgy Zuev - Lavrov
- 08.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Sudanese ambassador
- 07.12.2017Elmar Mammadyarov attends the meeting of the GUAM Council of MFA
- 07.12.2017“ASAN Service” is a huge revolution in field of public services – Azerbaijani president
- 07.12.2017Israeli Embassy in Baku reacts to protests over Trump’s Jerusalem declaration
- 07.12.2017UK minister of state for trade to visit Azerbaijan
- 07.12.2017Novruz Mammadov: Azerbaijani public concerned over unfair attitude of certain circles in West and Europe
- 07.12.2017Lavrov: Russia will contribute to search for mutually acceptable solutions to Karabakh conflict
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Guba district
- 07.12.2017Azerbaijan supports peaceful settlement of Israeli-Palestinian conflict - Foreign Ministry
- 06.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan expands partnership with Russia in technology sector
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM: Int’l rules can be applied regarding controversial deposits in Caspian Sea
- 06.12.2017Draft Convention on Caspian status includes preservation of military balance: Azerbaijani MFA
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM reveals Caspian division principles
- 06.12.2017Baku: Draft Convention on Caspian Sea status coordinated
- 06.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev views Bakutel-2017 exhibition
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in Vienna today
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijani president addresses CIS summit
- 11.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates King of Spain
- 11.10.2017PACE's adoption of such tendentious documents make Azerbaijan reconsider its relations with CoE: Ali Hasanov
- 11.10.2017CIS summit kicks off in Sochi
- 11.10.2017PACE adopts two resolutions on reports related to Azerbaijan - UPDATED-1
- 11.10.2017MP Samad Seyidov accuses Council of Europe of biased attitude towards Azerbaijan