Samad Seyidov: Resolutions on Azerbaijan adopted today bring shame upon PACE
Discussions held at the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) on Oct. 11 once again demonstrated that various groups, especially those supported by Armenians, were trying hard to criticize Azerbaijan as strongly as possible, said Samad Seyidov, Azerbaijani MP, Head of the Azerbaijani delegation to the PACE, an APA correspondent reported from Strasbourg.
“Imagine that all those who would not normally participate in PACE meetings came here today so as not to miss this opportunity,” the MP said noting that these people are determined to launch a campaign of hatred and lobbyism against Azerbaijan.
"They brought up unbelievable lies and slanders against Azerbaijan, whose economic reforms, appointment of judges and development of legislation are recognized by all countries. But voicing the idea in the report that it is high time for Azerbaijan to carry out legal reforms simply means that that they are either unaware of what’s happening in Azerbaijan or just slandering our country,” Seyidov said.
He stressed that the main purpose of those people in today’s discussions was to create a gap in relations between Azerbaijan and the Council of Europe.
“But they failed as Azerbaijan’s development, stance, roles, and all that it has achieved were touched upon by both Azerbaijan’s delegation and some PACE deputies. What’s important is that they realized here that the Council of Europe Secretary General has put aside tens of thousands of cases in the European Court of Human Rights and has turned its sight to Azerbaijan only in order to blacken Azerbaijan’s image. We raised this issue here as well,” he added.
The Azerbaijani MP emphasized that behind some speeches are the financial support of the Armenian lobby.
“We specifically state those people are regularly working to establish dialogue with some countries but in their relations with Azerbaijan they are trying to create a gap,” Seyidov said.
These attempts are masterminded by forces that are hostile to Azerbaijan, the MP said adding “however, a campaign based on lies and slander is doomed to failure.”
Today, Azerbaijan is a strong and independent state, Seyidov stressed. “Both Council of Europe and PACE are more interested in developing relations with Azerbaijan than Azerbaijan with them. Because they understand that without Azerbaijan and its philosophy uniting East and West, PACE itself can not exist.”
The MP also accused some forces of trying to deny the reforms being carried out in Azerbaijan, as well as the assistance being provided to refugees and IDPs in the country.
The resolutions on Azerbaijan adopted at the PACE today bring shame upon the Assembly, Seyidov emphasized.
“The documents on Azerbaijan adopted today bring shame upon the PACE. I especially want to note the document “Azerbaijan’s Chairmanship of the Council of Europe: What follow-up on respect for human rights?” adopted on behalf of the Human Rights Committee. The artificial aggravation of tension and the inclusion of facts that are far from the truth in the resolution turn it into a non-serious document. Azerbaijan, as an independent state, can not work with such a document,” added Seyidov.
Related news releases
- 23.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by Algerian justice minister
- 23.06.2018Afghan deputy FM says relations with Azerbaijan at highest level
- 22.06.2018Draft Convention on Caspian legal status allows laying pipelines on seabed
- 22.06.2018Draft Convention bans military presence of non-party countries in Caspian Sea
- 22.06.2018Russian government approves draft Convention on Caspian legal status
- 22.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives members of ADB Board of Governors
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijani PM: There is practically no concept of justice in int’l relations
- 22.06.20182018 CAMCA Regional Forum underway in Baku
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijan chose to closely cooperate with West – PM
- 22.06.2018U.S. congressman extends congratulations over centenary of ADR
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry: Implementation of UN SC resolutions entrusted to OSCE MG co-chairs
- 21.06.2018Guterres stresses importance of implementing UNSC resolutions
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani FM leaves for Minsk
- 20.06.2018Minsk to host 10th round of EaP informal ministerial dialogues
- 20.06.2018Foreign Ministry: Number of IDPs and refugees in Azerbaijan exceeds 1.2 mln
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani MP sends open letter to PACE committee members
- 19.06.2018Russian State Duma chairman to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.06.2018UN High Commissioner for Human Rights calls Azerbaijan actively cooperating country
- 19.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament speaker to visit China
- 18.06.2018Baku: No Azerbaijani nationals among Japan earthquake victims
- 15.06.2018Vice-Speaker: Georgia's failure to attend TANAP opening ceremony was due to domestic political situation in the country
- 14.06.2018Delegation of Nizami Ganjavi International Center meets Israeli defense minister
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani flag hoisted outside Philadelphia Mayor’s Office
- 13.06.2018Donald Trump congratulates Ilham Aliyev on Eid al-Fitr
- 13.06.2018Process of border delimitation with Georgia ‘relatively passive’, says Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2018Putin: Political co-op between Russia, Azerbaijan is stable
- 13.06.2018Summit of Caspian states planned to be held in first half of August – Azerbaijani diplomat
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Russia again on Aug. 30 – Putin
- 13.06.2018PACE Monitoring Committee to appoint new co-rapporteur on Azerbaijan on June 28
- 13.06.2018PACE to appoint rapporteur for preparation of report on “political prisoners in Azerbaijan”
- 13.06.2018Matthew Bryza: TANAP has turned Azerbaijan into a key player in global energy market - INTERVIEW
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani President pays working visit to Russia
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Ukraine
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan invites Ukraine to join Southern Gas Corridor project
- 12.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets BP CEO - UPDATED
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani, Ukrainian presidents meet in Turkey
- 11.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Vladimir Putin
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijan grants temporary residence permits to over 3,000 foreigners in May
- 11.06.2018No plan for Azerbaijani, Armenian leaders to meet in Moscow – Yerevan
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijani president to attend FIFA World Cup opening ceremony in Russia
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijani president addresses CIS summit
- 11.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates King of Spain
- 11.10.2017PACE's adoption of such tendentious documents make Azerbaijan reconsider its relations with CoE: Ali Hasanov
- 11.10.2017CIS summit kicks off in Sochi
- 11.10.2017PACE adopts two resolutions on reports related to Azerbaijan - UPDATED-1
- 11.10.2017MP Samad Seyidov accuses Council of Europe of biased attitude towards Azerbaijan