Russian MFA: No complaints received from Lapshin
Russian diplomats have received no complaints from blogger Alexander Lapshin regarding his detention conditions, Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova told a briefing on Feb. 15, APA’s Moscow correspondent reported.
Moscow has repeatedly expressed its position to Minsk that the extradition of a Russian citizen to a third country is unacceptable, noted Zakharova.
“Alexander Lapshin is a citizen of Russia and Israel. On Feb. 9, officials of the Russian Embassy in Azerbaijan visited Lapshin in prison. The Russian diplomats received no complaints from Lapshin regarding his detention conditions,” she said.
Zakharova went on to say that the Russian Embassy is in constant contacts with law-enforcement authorities, General Prosecutor’s Office and Foreign Ministry of Azerbaijan.
“Within the scope of our powers, we are taking all possible measures to protect the rights of the Russian citizen and keep the issue in the spotlight,” the spokeswoman said. “Lapshin is provided with a highly qualified lawyer. A judicial process will start soon.”
Zakharova called on media representatives not to spread unverified information about the issue.
Alexander Lapshin is a citizen of several countries and has had a criminal conspiracy with Armenians living in the occupied Azerbaijani territories. He also illegally visited these territories.
Lapshin is accused of violating Azerbaijani laws on state border in April 2011 and October 2012.
The Azerbaijani Prosecutor General's Office filed a suit against Lapshin under the articles of 281.2 (appeals directed against the state) and 318.2 (illegal border crossing) of the Criminal Code.
Lapshin was detained in Minsk on Dec. 15, 2016 and extradited to Azerbaijan on Feb. 7.
Related news releases
- 23.05.2017Azerbaijan checking if its citizens among Manchester blast victims
- 22.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives UAE delegation - UPDATED
- 22.05.2017Azerbaijani FM briefs European Parliament delegation on settlement process of Karabakh conflict
- 22.05.2017BSEC summit ends with adoption of Istanbul Declaration
- 22.05.2017Erdogan: Some were suspicious that BSEC could continue to exist long
- 22.05.2017MP: Azerbaijan supports organizing peace platform between Armenia, Azerbaijan at European Parliament
- 22.05.2017Romanian investors seeking to expand relations with Azerbaijan, says envoy
- 22.05.2017European Parliament committee chair says Azerbaijan is a valuable partner for Europe
- 22.05.2017BSEC summit: Erdogan sharply reacts to Armenian deputy FM’s anti-Azerbaijani remarks
- 22.05.2017Parl’t speaker: Armenia violates regional security, stability by continuing occupation of Azerbaijani territories
- 22.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives European Parliament delegation
- 22.05.2017BSEC summit kicks off in Istanbul - UPDATED
- 22.05.2017Azerbaijani president meets crown prince of Abu Dhabi
- 21.05.2017Riyadh hosted Arab Islamic American Summit president Ilham Aliyev attended the event - UPDATED
- 21.05.2017Azerbaijan Defense Minister starts official visit to Georgia
- 21.05.2017Azerbaijani president visits Saudi Arabia
- 20.05.2017Azerbaijani president congratulates Iranian president
- 20.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament speaker to visit Turkey
- 19.05.2017Ambassador: Hungary has strongest relations with Azerbaijan among South Caucasus countries
- 19.05.2017UAE foreign minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2017USAID representative: $1.3 billion financial aid allocated for Azerbaijan over last 25 years
- 18.05.2017USAID representative: We’ll continue to deepen our cooperation with Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2017Azerbaijan says hopes for proper consideration of VAK appeal
- 18.05.2017European Parliament delegation due in Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2017UN official to visit Azerbaijan
- 17.05.2017Ilham Aliyev receives ex-president of Dutch Senate - UPDATED
- 17.05.2017Karasin: Russia seeks Caspian Sea to be an example of cooperation, not confrontation
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijan to attend CoE Committee of Ministers meeting in Cyprus
- 16.05.2017Chairperson of Kuwaiti Cabinet Committee on Women's Affairs awarded honorary diploma of Azerbaijani President
- 16.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives executive vice chairman of Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations
- 16.05.2017Baku says VAK liquidation can negatively affect Russia’s mediatory role in Karabakh settlement
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament speaker, Russian State Duma chairman to discuss VAK liquidation
- 16.05.2017FM: Italy will continue to support intensifying ties between Azerbaijan, EU
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani MP believes Russian court will change its decision on VAK liquidation
- 16.05.2017Bulgaria has always supported Southern Gas Corridor project, says energy minister
- 15.05.2017Azerbaijan invited to summit in Saudi Arabia that will be attended by Trump
- 14.05.2017Mammadyarov: “In diplomacy negotiations for the sake of negotiations do not exist”
- 12.05.2017Azerbaijan’s Russian community urges efforts to prevent AAC liquidation
- 11.05.2017UNWTO Secretary-General awarded “Dostluq” (Friendship) Order of Azerbaijan
- 11.05.2017Jordan says Azerbaijan stands out with its ‘decisive position’ in fight against int’l terrorism
- 15.02.2017Ukraine’s ex-presidents to visit Azerbaijan
- 15.02.2017Azerbaijan: Amnesty International’s statement on Lapshin’s case – example of double standards
- 15.02.2017Greek government still views SOCAR as a reliable partner – ambassador - INTERVIEW
- 15.02.2017Moscow, Baku soon to discuss Karabakh conflict settlement
- 14.02.2017PACE Monitoring Committee to discuss co-rapporteurs’ visit to Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2017Some MEPs intended to undermine Azerbaijan-EU ties: MP Seyidov