Russian experts explain reasons behind holding of Gerasimov-Dunford in Baku
The holding in Baku of the meeting between the chiefs of general staff of the Russian and US armed forces stands to several reasons. The first reason is that Baku has a great international reputation. Azerbaijan is the most stable country in the region and the country’s leader has a great reputation in the international arena. The second reason is that Azerbaijan has good relations with both Russian and the United States. The third reason is that Azerbaijan’s relations with Russia are based on mutual trust. Russia is trying to get its strategic partner Azerbaijan involved in the international negotiation process," Director of the Institute for Political Studies Sergey Markov said in a statement to APA.
He said that the chiefs of general staff will discuss a number of issues in Baku.
“These are mainly relations in the field of military communication which deteriorated during Obama's administration, the Syria crisis, and carrying out military operations against the ISIL terrorist organization. If the talks go normal, we can predict that Russian and US pilots are going to carry out joint airstrikes on ISIL in Syria in March and April. Another key issue to be discussed is that both countries’ military aircraft and ships are having dangerous encounters. It is highly likely that this issue will be discussed by the chiefs of general staff,” he said.
Lt Gen Evgeny Buzhinsky, a former head of the Russian ministry of defence’s international treaties department, said he is not surprising by the meeting taking place in Baku because Azerbaijan has good relations with both countries and is a militarily powerful country in the region.
“Azerbaijan has all the potential, including the military potential, in order for it to defend its national interests,” he said.
Asked what issues will be discussed at the Gerasimov-Dunford meeting, Buzhinsky gave the following answer: “Currently, there is absolutely no cooperation between the two countries in the military sphere. Therefore, these issues must be resolved. There are many issues to be discussed. These include the fight against international terrorism, the tension between the two countries, although in the military rhetoric, and the Syria crisis. The first step has to be taken because practically Russia and the US do not even have any mutual activity in the military sphere, let alone cooperation,” he said.
Another Russian military expert Alexander Perenjiyev also said the meeting is no coincidence.
“Baku had hosted a meeting of the brain centers of the armies of Russia and NATO member Turkey. So Baku has experience in hosting this type of meetings. Also, Azerbaijan has equal partnership and good relations with both Russia and the United States. These factors resulted in Baku being preferred as the location for the meeting of the chiefs of general staff of the two big countries,” he said.
Related news releases
- 19.10.2017Baku to host next round of talks on new EU-Azerbaijan deal
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani president receives Ukraine’s first vice prime minister
- 18.10.2017Luxembourgian delegation says the anti-Azerbaijani campaign 'unfair'
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijani president receives CIS Frontier Troops’ Commanders
- 18.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Polish FM - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation of Cooperation Council for Arab States of Gulf - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijani, Polish FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan hails Poland’s unequivocal stance on principle of territorial integrity
- 18.10.2017Polish FM: Azerbaijan is an energy supplier to Eastern Europe
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan sees co-op with EU as one of its foreign policy priorities
- 18.10.2017Portugal's interior minister resigns after deadly wildfires
- 18.10.2017FM Mammadyarov: Armenian president’s irresponsibly going beyond joint statement ‘not right’
- 18.10.2017EU: Human trafficking victims are mostly migrants, children and women
- 17.10.2017Mahmoud Abbas congratulates President Aliyev
- 17.10.2017Saudi King congratulates President Aliyev
- 17.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Greek ambassador
- 17.10.2017Ambassador: US singles out three main directions for implementing economic reforms
- 17.10.2017US assistance to Azerbaijan over past 25 years exceed $1.3 bln – Ambassador Cekuta
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan seeks to join one of geopolitical groups within Inter-parliamentary Union
- 16.10.2017OPINION: Russia continues to supply modern weapons to occupant Armenia
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani president ends visit to Switzerland
- 16.10.2017Meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents took place in constructive atmosphere - STATEMENT
- 16.10.2017A Ban to Shackling for Mentally Disabled People in Ghana
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan is an important country for U.S. – Ambassador Cekuta
- 14.10.2017Bulgarian president ends visit to Azerbaijan
- 13.10.2017EU says new deal with Azerbaijan should be worked out properly
- 13.10.2017EU urges dialogue between Azerbaijan and PACE
- 13.10.2017US, Azerbaijan enjoy strong partnership in field of security, diplomat says
- 13.10.2017President Rumen Radev reaffirms Bulgaria’s support for realization of Southern Gas Corridor project
- 13.10.2017Bulgarian president pays respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev and Azerbaijani heroes
- 13.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Bulgaria is a very important partner for Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 13.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents to meet in Geneva on Oct. 16
- 13.10.2017Presidents of Azerbaijan, Bulgaria make press statements
- 13.10.2017Azerbaijani, Bulgarian presidents meet in Baku
- 13.10.2017Bulgarian president officially welcomed in Baku
- 12.10.2017Bulgarian president arrives in Azerbaijan
- 12.10.2017Bulgarian president to visit Azerbaijan
- 12.10.2017Iran's economy minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 12.10.2017Date of Tehran meeting of Azerbaijani, Russian, Iranian presidents revealed
- 12.10.2017Official of U.S. Department of Defense arrives in Azerbaijan
- 16.02.2017Azerbaijani President pays a working visit to Germany
- 17.02.2017Azerbaijan says so-called ‘referendum’ in South Ossetia cannot produce any legal effect
- 17.02.2017Saudi prince to attend 5th Global Baku Forum
- 16.02.2017Azerbaijan, Palestine hold political consultations
- 16.02.2017‘Dunford-Gerasimov meeting in Baku indicates Azerbaijan’s growing influence’
- 16.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Iranian justice minister - UPDATED