Russian experts explain reasons behind holding of Gerasimov-Dunford in Baku
The holding in Baku of the meeting between the chiefs of general staff of the Russian and US armed forces stands to several reasons. The first reason is that Baku has a great international reputation. Azerbaijan is the most stable country in the region and the country’s leader has a great reputation in the international arena. The second reason is that Azerbaijan has good relations with both Russian and the United States. The third reason is that Azerbaijan’s relations with Russia are based on mutual trust. Russia is trying to get its strategic partner Azerbaijan involved in the international negotiation process," Director of the Institute for Political Studies Sergey Markov said in a statement to APA.
He said that the chiefs of general staff will discuss a number of issues in Baku.
“These are mainly relations in the field of military communication which deteriorated during Obama's administration, the Syria crisis, and carrying out military operations against the ISIL terrorist organization. If the talks go normal, we can predict that Russian and US pilots are going to carry out joint airstrikes on ISIL in Syria in March and April. Another key issue to be discussed is that both countries’ military aircraft and ships are having dangerous encounters. It is highly likely that this issue will be discussed by the chiefs of general staff,” he said.
Lt Gen Evgeny Buzhinsky, a former head of the Russian ministry of defence’s international treaties department, said he is not surprising by the meeting taking place in Baku because Azerbaijan has good relations with both countries and is a militarily powerful country in the region.
“Azerbaijan has all the potential, including the military potential, in order for it to defend its national interests,” he said.
Asked what issues will be discussed at the Gerasimov-Dunford meeting, Buzhinsky gave the following answer: “Currently, there is absolutely no cooperation between the two countries in the military sphere. Therefore, these issues must be resolved. There are many issues to be discussed. These include the fight against international terrorism, the tension between the two countries, although in the military rhetoric, and the Syria crisis. The first step has to be taken because practically Russia and the US do not even have any mutual activity in the military sphere, let alone cooperation,” he said.
Another Russian military expert Alexander Perenjiyev also said the meeting is no coincidence.
“Baku had hosted a meeting of the brain centers of the armies of Russia and NATO member Turkey. So Baku has experience in hosting this type of meetings. Also, Azerbaijan has equal partnership and good relations with both Russia and the United States. These factors resulted in Baku being preferred as the location for the meeting of the chiefs of general staff of the two big countries,” he said.
Related news releases
- 23.08.2017Hungarian embassy in Azerbaijan suspends visa issuance due to force-majeure situation
- 23.08.2017Azerbaijani president congratulates Ukrainian counterpart
- 23.08.2017Croatia ex-president visits Guba Genocide Memorial Complex
- 23.08.2017Azerbaijani FM receives outgoing Sudanese ambassador
- 22.08.2017Spanish newspaper Marca apologizes to Azerbaijan for false info about Qarabag FC
- 22.08.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish, Georgian FMs to meet on Sept. 7
- 22.08.2017PM Kvirikashvili: Azerbaijan was the first to send helicopter to help Georgia tackle forest fires
- 22.08.2017Azerbaijani FM receives incoming Italian ambassador
- 22.08.2017Georgian president thanks Azerbaijan, Turkey for help in fighting forest fires
- 21.08.2017Georgia thanks Azerbaijan for help in tackling forest fires
- 21.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives former heads of state and government attending Global Young Leaders Forum
- 21.08.2017Latvia’s ex-president hails Azerbaijan’s experience in hosting high-profile events
- 21.08.2017Ismail Serageldin makes presentation on development of youth leadership at Baku forum
- 21.08.2017Opening session of Global Young Leaders Forum held in Baku
- 21.08.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish, Georgian FMs expected to meet in Baku next month
- 21.08.2017Global Young Leaders Forum kicks off in Baku
- 18.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Afghan counterpart
- 18.08.2017Bolivia expresses support for Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity and sovereignty
- 18.08.2017Turkish president to visit Azerbaijan
- 18.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to King of Spain
- 18.08.2017No Azerbaijani nationals among Barcelona terror attack victims
- 18.08.2017Azerbaijan strongly condemns Barcelona terror attack
- 17.08.2017Children of some countries’ presidents and ex-presidents to attend Baku forum
- 17.08.2017Indonesia’s Independence Day celebrated in Baku
- 16.08.2017Vladimir Dorokhin: Number of Azerbaijanis studying in Russia increases day by day
- 14.08.2017Ambassador: Pakistan-Azerbaijan relations higher than strategic partnership
- 12.08.2017Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Egyptian president
- 09.08.2017Azerbaijani president receives Chairman of Belarusian State Border Committee
- 09.08.2017Turkmen president departs from Azerbaijan
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijani president congratulates president of Singapore
- 08.08.2017Turkmen President Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov pays respect to Azerbaijan's national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 08.08.2017Status of Caspian Sea discussed during meeting of Azerbaijani PM and Turkmen president
- 08.08.2017Berdimuhamedov: ‘Turkmenistan and Azerbaijan stand for transforming Caspian Sea into source of stability’
- 08.08.2017President Ilham Aliyev: ‘Turkmenistan-Azerbaijan relations at highest level’
- 08.08.2017Berdimuhamedov: ‘Turkmenistan, Azerbaijan stand for preserving int’l and regional security’
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijan president: ‘We want lasting stability and peace in the region’
- 08.08.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Turkmenistan co-op will deepen - UPDATED
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijani, Turkmen presidents make statement to the press
- 08.08.2017Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan sign documents
- 08.08.2017Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov: ‘Turkmen-Azerbaijani relations experiencing new stage’
- 16.02.2017Azerbaijani President pays a working visit to Germany
- 17.02.2017Azerbaijan says so-called ‘referendum’ in South Ossetia cannot produce any legal effect
- 17.02.2017Saudi prince to attend 5th Global Baku Forum
- 16.02.2017Azerbaijan, Palestine hold political consultations
- 16.02.2017‘Dunford-Gerasimov meeting in Baku indicates Azerbaijan’s growing influence’
- 16.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Iranian justice minister - UPDATED