Lavrov: Russia will contribute to search for mutually acceptable solutions to Karabakh conflict
Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said on Thursday that Moscow will continue to contribute to the search for mutually acceptable solutions to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
“As a co-chair of the OSCE Minsk Group, Russia will continue contributing to the search for mutually acceptable solutions to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict in accordance with the principles repeatedly approved by the presidents of Russia, France and the United States,” Lavrov said at the OSCE Ministerial Conference in Vienna, APA reported.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in December 1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 11.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian State Duma delegation
- 09.12.2017Erdogan invites Ilham Aliyev to attend OIC summit on Jerusalem issue
- 08.12.2017President Aliyev appoints Azerbaijan’s honorary consul to Djibouti
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan appoints new ambassador to Croatia
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan recalls ambassador from Tajikistan
- 08.12.2017Russia never requested Azerbaijan for agrément for Georgy Zuev - Lavrov
- 08.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Sudanese ambassador
- 07.12.2017Elmar Mammadyarov attends the meeting of the GUAM Council of MFA
- 07.12.2017“ASAN Service” is a huge revolution in field of public services – Azerbaijani president
- 07.12.2017Israeli Embassy in Baku reacts to protests over Trump’s Jerusalem declaration
- 07.12.2017UK minister of state for trade to visit Azerbaijan
- 07.12.2017Novruz Mammadov: Azerbaijani public concerned over unfair attitude of certain circles in West and Europe
- 07.12.2017Lavrov: Russia will contribute to search for mutually acceptable solutions to Karabakh conflict
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Guba district
- 07.12.2017Azerbaijan supports peaceful settlement of Israeli-Palestinian conflict - Foreign Ministry
- 06.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan expands partnership with Russia in technology sector
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM: Int’l rules can be applied regarding controversial deposits in Caspian Sea
- 06.12.2017Draft Convention on Caspian status includes preservation of military balance: Azerbaijani MFA
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM reveals Caspian division principles
- 06.12.2017Baku: Draft Convention on Caspian Sea status coordinated
- 06.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev views Bakutel-2017 exhibition
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in Vienna today
- 05.12.2017Baku host reception on occasion of Japanese Emperor's birthday
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Finnish counterpart
- 05.12.2017Caspian states plan to hold joint drills – Lavrov
- 05.12.2017Moscow says 20-year work on Caspian Sea legal status ‘finalized’
- 05.12.2017Lavrov: Discussions on all open issues regarding Convention on Caspian Sea legal status yielded result
- 05.12.2017MP Slutsky proposes creating Russia-Azerbaijan-Iran parliamentary troika
- 05.12.2017Samad Seyidov: Azerbaijan ‘not in favor’ of EU integration
- 05.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives ITU Sec.Gen. - UPDATED
- 05.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Iranian ICT minister - UPDATED
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijani president receives Turkish delegation - UPDATED
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijani FM: Stability in Caspian region should be based on respect for sovereignty, territorial integrity
- 05.12.2017Lavrov: We’re pleased with level of coop in ‘Caspian Five’
- 05.12.2017Mammadyarov: Moscow meeting will be ‘a good opportunity’ for preparation of convention on Caspian Sea legal status
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijan brings energy security to Europe – MP
- 05.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian minister of telecom and mass communications - UPDATED
- 05.12.2017Ministerial meeting of Caspian littoral states gets underway in Moscow
- 04.12.2017Mahmud Mammadguliyev: "Next talks between EU and Azerbaijan on strategic partnership will be held in December"
- 04.12.2017Ziyafat Asgarov: Drugs grown in occupied Azerbaijani territories being transported to whole Europe
- 02.05.2011OIC Commission adopts resolution on Islamic Conference Youth Forum for Dialogue and Cooperation
- 02.05.2011Lithuanian Prime Minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 02.05.2011Azerbaijan-Bulgaria intergovernmental commission to hold meeting
- 02.05.2011Roundtable on cyber security to be held in Baku
- 01.05.2011Erdogan: “Karabakh and Nakhchivan are our issues”
- 30.04.2011NATO refuses Libyan leader’s ceasefire offer