OPINION: Russia continues to supply modern weapons to occupant Armenia
Unfortunately, Russia continues to support Armenia and supply modern weapons to this occupant country, Vugar Rahimzade, member of the Board of the Azerbaijani Press Council, editor-in-chief of “Iki sahil” newspaper, told APA.
He stressed that by providing Armenia with a loan worth $100 million to purchase arms, Russia, as a co-chair of the OSCE Minsk Group that deals with the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, acts against its intermediary mission.
He accused Russia of supporting the invader instead of acting as an intermediary in the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
Rahimzade said that such an open support by Russia to Armenia runs contrary to Baku-Moscow relations.
“According to the agreement in 2015, Russia pledged to grant Armenia a $200-million loan for the purchase of modern arms. Russia has recently ratified an agreement on the allocation of an additional loan of $100 million to Armenia for purchasing modern weapons,” he said.
The loan will be granted to Armenia for a period of 20 years, said Rahimzade, adding. “I believe that this term is symbolic. This is open arms supplies to the invader and an unfair attitude towards the settlement of the conflict.”
He emphasized that Azerbaijan has been suffering for more than 25 years from the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, which is a major obstacle to peace in the region.
Rahimzade urged all the co-chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group to comprehend this reality and make efforts to resolve the conflict.
The editor-in-chief went on to say that Russia is not only the co-chair of the OSCE Minsk Group, but also one of the five permanent members of the UN Security Council.
“The members of the UN Security Council should pay special attention to ensuring security not only in certain regions but throughout the world, defending the principle of justice and should call for not war but peace,” Rahimzade said. “Why does Russia, which states that the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is only possible through peaceful way, obviously support Armenia and provide this country with weapons? Of course, such questions seriously disturb the public of our country. I think that Russia should take a more fair and objective approach to the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and avoid any steps that could damage the security in the region.”
Rasim Musabekov, member of the Azerbaijani Parliament, told APA that on the eve of the meeting of the Azerbaijani and Russian presidents, Russia announced the allocation of a $100 million loan to Armenia for the purchase of weapons within the framework of the earlier signed agreement.
“It can be regarded as an intention to encourage Yerevan to take a far-reaching solution to the conflict. Russia can say that Azerbaijan continues to purchase large amount of weapons. First, Baku fully pays for all the weapons it purchases and there is no discount on sale. Although arms are supplied to Armenia on the basis of the loan, it is clear to everyone that Yerevan will not pay,” he added.
For 25 years, Moscow has been continuing arms supplies to Armenia free of charge, the Azerbaijani MP underlined.
“In the 1990s and early 2000s, Russia delivered to Armenia arms and military equipment worth of $1 billion. Azerbaijan, unlike Armenia, does not occupy the territory of a neighboring country, despite the resolutions and decisions of the UN Security Council and the General Assembly,” Musabekov said emphasizing that to expect a change in Moscow’s policy in the South Caucasus is an illusion.
“Azerbaijan knows its enemies and friends. Thus, Azerbaijan sees everything well and adequately. Life and politics do not end today, and our memory is strong,” he added.
Related news releases
- 26.04.2018Azerbaijani President meets with UK Prime Minister
- 26.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with British MPs
- 26.04.2018Conference on future of Turkey-Russia relations kicks off in Antalya
- 26.04.2018PACE investigation body’s corruption report lacks ‘real facts’ – Azerbaijani MP
- 26.04.2018British minister: Ilham Aliyev’s re-election as president will ensure continuation of Azerbaijan’s rapid development
- 26.04.2018Head of Azerbaijani delegation slams corruption report by PACE Independent External Investigation Body
- 26.04.2018Allegations of corruption in PACE: Stefan Schennach objects to mention of his name in report
- 26.04.2018Angela Merkel congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 25.04.2018Romanian president congratulates Azerbaijani president
- 25.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev completes official visit to Turkey
- 25.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Turkey-Azerbaijan joint projects are of great economic and political significance
- 25.04.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijan is increasing its military power also at expense of Turkish defense products
- 25.04.2018Turkey is one of world’s powers: Azerbaijani president
- 25.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Turkey brotherhood, friendship has great future
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijan, Turkey ink six documents
- 25.04.2018Erdogan says hopes he will make first foreign visit to Azerbaijan as president after June 24 elections
- 25.04.2018Ankara hosts Azerbaijan-Turkey High-Level Strategic Cooperation Council meeting
- 25.04.2018Israeli envoy visits Guba Genocide Memorial Complex
- 25.04.2018Turkish parliament speaker: Ilham Aliyev is important person for region and whole world
- 25.04.2018Meeting of Azerbaijani, Turkish presidents kicks off in Ankara
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijani president officially welcomed in Ankara
- 25.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits Anitkabir in Ankara
- 25.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: No countries in world are as close to each other as Azerbaijan and Turkey
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish presidents dined together
- 24.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits Heydar Aliyev Park in Ankara
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani president arrives in Turkey on official visit
- 24.04.2018UN secretary general congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 24.04.2018France’s Macron congratulates President Ilham Aliyev on presidential election victory
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijan’s consul general addresses Los Angeles Baha’i community
- 24.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian foreign intelligence chief
- 23.04.2018Azarbaijan's president to visit Turkey on Tuesday
- 23.04.2018Samad Seyidov: I’ve been in PACE for 18 years and no one can accuse me of corruption
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Afghan counterpart
- 23.04.2018Pakistani president congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 23.04.2018Israeli PM Netanyahu congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 23.04.2018Russian minister: Stability in Azerbaijan is of great importance
- 23.04.2018PACE spring session kicks off today
- 21.04.2018Georgian PM congratulates Novruz Mammadov
- 21.04.2018TANAP, TAP to play important role in ensuring Europe’s energy security – Turkish minister
- 21.04.2018Plight of Azerbaijani IDPs to be highlighted at PACE spring session
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan seeks to join one of geopolitical groups within Inter-parliamentary Union
- 17.10.2017US assistance to Azerbaijan over past 25 years exceed $1.3 bln – Ambassador Cekuta
- 17.10.2017Ambassador: US singles out three main directions for implementing economic reforms
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani president ends visit to Switzerland
- 16.10.2017Meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents took place in constructive atmosphere - STATEMENT
- 16.10.2017A Ban to Shackling for Mentally Disabled People in Ghana