Robert Cekuta: Diversity of Azerbaijan’s religious communities is source of strength
“As-salaam-u-alaikum. I am very pleased to welcome you to the Residence for tonight’s Iftar. It is an honor to host you.
I would like to welcome all of the distinguished religious leaders, government officials, and diplomatic colleagues, and I especially want to acknowledge Deputy Head Rashad Aliyarli from the Caucasus Muslim Board who is with us this evening”, the ambassador made the remarks at Iftar.
“My sons and I are glad to be with you tonight to celebrate Ramadan, the holiest month of the Muslim calendar year. It is a time for peaceful reflection and for prayer. It is a time for acts of compassion and charity. Islam has a long history in the United States, and American Presidents have long shown their regard and esteem for Islamic traditions. Thomas Jefferson hosted a White House Iftar in 1805 for the Ambassador of Tunisia, who was the first Muslim Ambassador to the United States. That was over 200 years ago, when our country was just taking its first steps in the world. Thus, Iftars have been a tradition in the United States, with many Presidents and Secretaries of State, as well as our missions abroad, hosting them annually as a sign of respect and togetherness”, said the ambassador.
“Iftars demonstrate the unity of Islam; they underline the value Islam places on brotherhood and peace. In the United States there are millions of Muslims from all over the world. That fact about the United States is evident in the different foods and traditions exhibited by Moslem Americans during the holy month of Ramadhan. This fact was recently celebrated, for example, in some articles in the New York Times talking about what West African, Pakistani, Persian, Middle Eastern, and other dishes are served at Iftars in the United States. Iftars are therefore celebrated with many different foods and traditions, but the central spirit of Ramadan is shared by all.
Azerbaijan also has a rich history of multiculturalism and acceptance, a history of which Azerbaijanis are justifiably proud, and a tradition that the world needs to see shared more widely. But tolerance doesn’t happen on its own; we have to actively and continuously pursue it. Traditions need to be taught and reinforced, including with our children. The diversity of Azerbaijan’s religious communities is a source of strength, and I am glad when I see this country nurturing that diversity”, said the diplomat.
“There are divisions in the world today, but we must remember t we are all part of one family. The holy month of Ramadan is a time for a reaffirmation of the ideals that bind us all together, no matter what our faith: peace, charity, and forgiveness.
Thank you for coming to our Iftar this evening, I hope you enjoy the meal.
Ramazan Kareem”, he concluded.
Related news releases
- 20.10.2017Kubiv: Positivity in Kiev-Baku relations bothers some inside and outside of Ukraine
- 20.10.2017Austrian ambassador: Azerbaijan and Armenia can not be forced into one way of solution - INTERVIEW
- 20.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s external debt less than 20% of GDP - UPDATED
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani president ends visit to Turkey
- 20.10.2017MP Samad Seyidov criticizes Ukrainian colleagues for voting against Azerbaijan at PACE
- 20.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends D8 Summit in Istanbul
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani President met with Iranian First Vice President in Istanbul
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani president arrives in Turkey
- 19.10.2017Moscow: Main articles of convention on Caspian Sea status agreed
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani FM receives delegation of Cooperation Council for Arab States of Gulf
- 19.10.2017Baku to host next round of talks on new EU-Azerbaijan deal
- 19.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives first vice PM of Ukraine
- 18.10.2017Luxembourgian delegation says the anti-Azerbaijani campaign 'unfair'
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijani president receives CIS Frontier Troops’ Commanders
- 18.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Polish FM - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation of Cooperation Council for Arab States of Gulf - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijani, Polish FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan hails Poland’s unequivocal stance on principle of territorial integrity
- 18.10.2017Polish FM: Azerbaijan is an energy supplier to Eastern Europe
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan sees co-op with EU as one of its foreign policy priorities
- 18.10.2017Portugal's interior minister resigns after deadly wildfires
- 18.10.2017FM Mammadyarov: Armenian president’s irresponsibly going beyond joint statement ‘not right’
- 18.10.2017EU: Human trafficking victims are mostly migrants, children and women
- 17.10.2017Mahmoud Abbas congratulates President Aliyev
- 17.10.2017Saudi King congratulates President Aliyev
- 17.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Greek ambassador
- 17.10.2017Ambassador: US singles out three main directions for implementing economic reforms
- 17.10.2017US assistance to Azerbaijan over past 25 years exceed $1.3 bln – Ambassador Cekuta
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan seeks to join one of geopolitical groups within Inter-parliamentary Union
- 16.10.2017OPINION: Russia continues to supply modern weapons to occupant Armenia
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani president ends visit to Switzerland
- 16.10.2017Meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents took place in constructive atmosphere - STATEMENT
- 16.10.2017A Ban to Shackling for Mentally Disabled People in Ghana
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan is an important country for U.S. – Ambassador Cekuta
- 14.10.2017Bulgarian president ends visit to Azerbaijan
- 13.10.2017EU says new deal with Azerbaijan should be worked out properly
- 13.10.2017EU urges dialogue between Azerbaijan and PACE
- 13.10.2017US, Azerbaijan enjoy strong partnership in field of security, diplomat says
- 13.10.2017President Rumen Radev reaffirms Bulgaria’s support for realization of Southern Gas Corridor project
- 13.10.2017Bulgarian president pays respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev and Azerbaijani heroes
- 17.06.2017Azerbaijani president offers condolence over Helmut Kohl’s death
- 19.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives OSCE MG co-chairs
- 19.06.2017Ali Hasanov: European Parliament resolution on Azerbaijan is unfair
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan confirms its composition of joint intergovernmental commission with Israel
- 16.06.2017Hassan Rouhani sends congratulatory letter to Ilham Aliyev
- 16.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Colombian FM - UPDATED