Robert Cekuta: Diversity of Azerbaijan’s religious communities is source of strength
“As-salaam-u-alaikum. I am very pleased to welcome you to the Residence for tonight’s Iftar. It is an honor to host you.
I would like to welcome all of the distinguished religious leaders, government officials, and diplomatic colleagues, and I especially want to acknowledge Deputy Head Rashad Aliyarli from the Caucasus Muslim Board who is with us this evening”, the ambassador made the remarks at Iftar.
“My sons and I are glad to be with you tonight to celebrate Ramadan, the holiest month of the Muslim calendar year. It is a time for peaceful reflection and for prayer. It is a time for acts of compassion and charity. Islam has a long history in the United States, and American Presidents have long shown their regard and esteem for Islamic traditions. Thomas Jefferson hosted a White House Iftar in 1805 for the Ambassador of Tunisia, who was the first Muslim Ambassador to the United States. That was over 200 years ago, when our country was just taking its first steps in the world. Thus, Iftars have been a tradition in the United States, with many Presidents and Secretaries of State, as well as our missions abroad, hosting them annually as a sign of respect and togetherness”, said the ambassador.
“Iftars demonstrate the unity of Islam; they underline the value Islam places on brotherhood and peace. In the United States there are millions of Muslims from all over the world. That fact about the United States is evident in the different foods and traditions exhibited by Moslem Americans during the holy month of Ramadhan. This fact was recently celebrated, for example, in some articles in the New York Times talking about what West African, Pakistani, Persian, Middle Eastern, and other dishes are served at Iftars in the United States. Iftars are therefore celebrated with many different foods and traditions, but the central spirit of Ramadan is shared by all.
Azerbaijan also has a rich history of multiculturalism and acceptance, a history of which Azerbaijanis are justifiably proud, and a tradition that the world needs to see shared more widely. But tolerance doesn’t happen on its own; we have to actively and continuously pursue it. Traditions need to be taught and reinforced, including with our children. The diversity of Azerbaijan’s religious communities is a source of strength, and I am glad when I see this country nurturing that diversity”, said the diplomat.
“There are divisions in the world today, but we must remember t we are all part of one family. The holy month of Ramadan is a time for a reaffirmation of the ideals that bind us all together, no matter what our faith: peace, charity, and forgiveness.
Thank you for coming to our Iftar this evening, I hope you enjoy the meal.
Ramazan Kareem”, he concluded.
Related news releases
- 27.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev: Declaration signed between Azerbaijan and Poland is a very serious political document
- 27.06.2017Presidents of Azerbaijan, Poland hold expanded meeting - UPDATED
- 27.06.2017Polish president: We would like to create a direct railway line between Azerbaijan and Poland
- 27.06.2017Azerbaijani, Polish presidents hold one-on-one meeting in Warsaw - UPDATED
- 27.06.2017Azerbaijan, Poland sign documents
- 27.06.2017Azerbaijani, Polish presidents make statements to the press
- 27.06.2017Azerbaijani, Polish presidents exchange gifts
- 27.06.2017Official welcome ceremony held for Azerbaijani president in Warsaw
- 26.06.2017Azerbaijani president arrives in Warsaw for official visit
- 26.06.2017Uncertainty continues over Agramunt’s PACE presidency
- 25.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev received Russian deputy prime minister
- 25.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev received President and Chairman of VTB Bank Management Board
- 25.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev received Executive Chairman of Formula One Group
- 25.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev received editor-in-chief of Russian “Zavtra” newspaper
- 24.06.2017Azerbaijani President sends congratulatory letter to Slovenian president
- 24.06.2017Azerbaijani President sends congratulatory letter to Croatian president
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijan names new ambassador to France
- 23.06.2017Moldovan president completes visit to Azerbaijan
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Georgia should implement joint educational projects - UPDATED
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijan to demand explanation from Czech Foreign Ministry on ambassador’s statements
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijan's candidate for UNESCO director-general visits Germany
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijani FM meets Costa Rican counterpart in Baku
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijani president congratulates new Saudi crown prince
- 23.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Costa Rican FM
- 23.06.2017Malena Mard: I will get back to work in Swedish foreign ministry
- 23.06.2017UK Ambassador: Azerbaijan is not only a major global energy player but also a source of opportunity for other areas of business
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani president: “Need to give dynamism to the relations between Azerbaijan and Moldova”
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijan provides aid to four countries stricken by famine threat
- 22.06.2017Moldovan president visits Alley of Martyrs in Baku
- 22.06.2017Moldovan president pays respect to Azerbaijan's national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 22.06.2017Igor Dodon: Wide range of issues discussed at meeting with Azerbaijani president
- 22.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Moldova have good potential for trade and economic cooperation
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani president hosts official dinner reception in honor of Moldovan counterpart
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani, Moldovan presidents make press statements
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani, Moldovan presidents hold expanded meeting
- 22.06.2017PACE co-rapporteurs issue statement after their visit to Azerbaijan
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani, Moldovan presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 22.06.2017Official welcoming ceremony held for Moldovan president
- 21.06.2017Moldovan president arrives in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 21.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives former French PM - UPDATED
- 17.06.2017Azerbaijani president offers condolence over Helmut Kohl’s death
- 19.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives OSCE MG co-chairs
- 19.06.2017Ali Hasanov: European Parliament resolution on Azerbaijan is unfair
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan confirms its composition of joint intergovernmental commission with Israel
- 16.06.2017Hassan Rouhani sends congratulatory letter to Ilham Aliyev
- 16.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Colombian FM - UPDATED