Report on Azerbaijan considered at the session of the UN Human Rights Council
According to APA, Azerbaijan was represented at the discussions a delegation headed by Deputy Foreign Minister Khalaf Khalafov.
To the Council by the UN Human Rights were issued two reports - the government of Azerbaijan and the Council's own report. Representatives of 83 countries participating in the discussions presented a series of consultations to Azerbaijan. In discussions on Azerbaijan, mostly voiced positive views, the meeting welcomed the adoption of the country's national plan of action in relation to human rights and a special program in the fight against corruption.
During the discussions were also noted issues related to the situation in the field of freedom of speech and press in Azerbaijan, arrest of political activists, NGO registration, the electoral procedure, an independent judiciary, freedom of assembly, freedom of religion. The representative of Turkey touched the Armenian-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, noting the importance of efforts by the international community for the return of IDPs to their homes.
The representative of Russia welcomed the opening of the ASAN service in Azerbaijan.
The recommendations proposed by Azerbaijan, reflected issues such as freedom of assembly, the creation of a separate juvenile court structure, increasing the number of women in management positions, continuing the fight against corruption, increasing investments in education.
The Government of Azerbaijan in the next 6 months to make a decision on the adoption or rejection of recommendations proposed during the discussion.
In discussions on issues concerning various spheres meet Deputy Foreign Minister Khalaf Khalafov, head of the international relations department of the CEC Rovzat Gasimov, Deputy Chairman of the State Committee for Family, Women and Children Aynur Sofiyeva, Deputy Minister of Justice Togrul Musayev and Plenipotentiary of Azerbaijan to the European Court of Human Rights Chingiz Askerov.
Deputy Minister of Justice Togrul Musayev said that Azerbaijan continues to implement reforms in the judiciary is functioning Judicial Council. T.Musaev noted that Azerbaijan has registered 3,000 NGOs also carry out normal activities of unregistered NGOs: "In Azerbaijan, there is no problem for NGOs. Adopted the same laws are provided to simplify and streamline their operations. Azerbaijan is extremely rare lawsuits in connection with the cancellation of the registration of NGOs. "
Plenipotentiary Representative of Azerbaijan to the European Court of Human Rights Chingiz Askerov said that Azerbaijan supports the adoption of the law "On defamation" that meets European standards.
He recalled the presence in the laws of other countries and sanctions for libel and slander.
Department Head of the CEC Rovzat Gasimov told the committee about the organization of the election campaign, the system of webcams to ensure transparency and cooperation with the OSCE, the CEC and the Council of Europe.
Azerbaijani Deputy Foreign Minister Khalaf Khalafov noted that the country is moving towards democracy.
He noted that in recent years is a lot of work to ensure the country's pluralism, freedom of speech and of the press, social equality.
Khalafov expressed satisfaction with the attention of the international community to the situation in Azerbaijan, said Azerbaijan's openness to dialogue.
The Deputy Minister also touched upon the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, focused attention on the problems of internally displaced persons.
He said Azerbaijan is able to liberate its territories from occupation.
Along with increasing success in the area of civil and political rights in Azerbaijan, Deputy Minister also acknowledged the shortcomings. He said that Azerbaijan remains committed to the obligation to hold free and fair elections in accordance with international standards, "For these and other issues, we will continue to cooperate with the European institutions."
Speaking about the economic achievements, Khalafov noted that the level of poverty in the whole country of only 6%.
It should be noted that the situation of the human rights situation in Azerbaijan was last discussed in the Human Rights Council, the UN in February 2009. Session of the Universal Periodic Review held every 3 years. Each session is devoted to surveys for 16 countries. For each country, appointed by the speaker 3 of 3 states. During the current session, the co-rapporteurs on Azerbaijan were represented Maldives, Libya and Peru.
Related news releases
- 20.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev to address UN General Assembly
- 20.09.2017FM: Azerbaijan supports lasting solution to Israeli-Palestinian conflict
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijani President attends state banquet at UN headquarters
- 20.09.2017Benjamin Netanyahu: “Israel expanded corporation with Azerbaijan" - VIDEO
- 19.09.2017China, Azerbaijan consider education a priority area – ambassador
- 19.09.2017PACE co-rapporteurs make statement following their visit to Azerbaijan
- 19.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with representatives of American Jewish organizations in New York
- 18.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets with chairman of Foundation for Ethnic Understanding in New York
- 17.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in the United States for visit
- 15.09.2017First Vice President Mehriban Aliyeva meets with French Minister of State attached to Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Mexican counterpart
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan checking if its citizens among London underground attack victims
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijani FM meets Lao president
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets French Secretary of State to Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs
- 14.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives PACE co-rapporteurs - UPDATED
- 14.09.2017Moscow hosts int’l conference on Azerbaijan-Russia relations - UPDATED
- 14.09.2017UK hails Azerbaijan’s clear stance on counterterrorism
- 14.09.2017Alan Duncan: British PM intends to meet Azerbaijani president soon
- 14.09.2017UK says new ACG contract will greatly contribute to Azerbaijan’s economy
- 14.09.2017Russia’s ruling party welcomes creation of ‘Moscow-Baku axis’
- 14.09.2017Azerbaijani defense minister visits Israel’s leading defense industry enterprises
- 14.09.2017US companies continue support for Azerbaijan’s key role in global energy security
- 14.09.2017Azerbaijani president meets with Turkish energy minister
- 14.09.2017Ambassador Cekuta: US-Azerbaijan co-op covers three equally important areas
- 14.09.2017PACE PA co-rapporteurs arrive in Azerbaijan
- 13.09.2017Azerbaijan appoints new ambassador to Switzerland
- 13.09.2017Japanese PM sends letter to Azerbaijani president on 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations between two countries
- 13.09.2017UK minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 13.09.2017Azerbaijani FM: Vietnam will benefit from North-South transport corridor
- 13.09.2017No date set for Erdogan’s visit to Azerbaijan – ambassador
- 13.09.2017Lotfi Zadeh’s body to be sent to Azerbaijan in coming days – consul general
- 12.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev recalls head of Azerbaijani mission to NATO
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijan recalls ambassador from Turkey
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijani president says he’s confident new agreement with EU will be signed soon - UPDATED
- 12.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Hungary one of closest friends, partners of Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 12.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives new Tajik ambassador
- 12.09.2017Dutch ambassador comments on decisions about Mehman Aliyev, Alexander Lapshin
- 12.09.2017EU, Azerbaijan hold discussions on close partnership, says Dutch ambassador
- 11.09.2017Nghiem Vu Khai and Nguyen Vu Ha Len awarded Taraggi Medal of Azerbaijan
- 11.09.2017Azerbaijani FM receives new EU delegation head
- 06.02.2017Azerbaijan, Ukraine mark 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations
- 06.02.2017Azerbaijani president expected to visit Pakistan – ambassador
- 06.02.2017Ilham Aliyev: Expansion of co-op with EU – a good message for both Azerbaijan and region - UPDATED
- 06.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with former PACE president Rene van der Linden in Brussels
- 05.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in Belgium
- 03.02.2017Azerbaijan accuses Armenia of using foreigners in its political games