Report on Azerbaijan considered at the session of the UN Human Rights Council
According to APA, Azerbaijan was represented at the discussions a delegation headed by Deputy Foreign Minister Khalaf Khalafov.
To the Council by the UN Human Rights were issued two reports - the government of Azerbaijan and the Council's own report. Representatives of 83 countries participating in the discussions presented a series of consultations to Azerbaijan. In discussions on Azerbaijan, mostly voiced positive views, the meeting welcomed the adoption of the country's national plan of action in relation to human rights and a special program in the fight against corruption.
During the discussions were also noted issues related to the situation in the field of freedom of speech and press in Azerbaijan, arrest of political activists, NGO registration, the electoral procedure, an independent judiciary, freedom of assembly, freedom of religion. The representative of Turkey touched the Armenian-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, noting the importance of efforts by the international community for the return of IDPs to their homes.
The representative of Russia welcomed the opening of the ASAN service in Azerbaijan.
The recommendations proposed by Azerbaijan, reflected issues such as freedom of assembly, the creation of a separate juvenile court structure, increasing the number of women in management positions, continuing the fight against corruption, increasing investments in education.
The Government of Azerbaijan in the next 6 months to make a decision on the adoption or rejection of recommendations proposed during the discussion.
In discussions on issues concerning various spheres meet Deputy Foreign Minister Khalaf Khalafov, head of the international relations department of the CEC Rovzat Gasimov, Deputy Chairman of the State Committee for Family, Women and Children Aynur Sofiyeva, Deputy Minister of Justice Togrul Musayev and Plenipotentiary of Azerbaijan to the European Court of Human Rights Chingiz Askerov.
Deputy Minister of Justice Togrul Musayev said that Azerbaijan continues to implement reforms in the judiciary is functioning Judicial Council. T.Musaev noted that Azerbaijan has registered 3,000 NGOs also carry out normal activities of unregistered NGOs: "In Azerbaijan, there is no problem for NGOs. Adopted the same laws are provided to simplify and streamline their operations. Azerbaijan is extremely rare lawsuits in connection with the cancellation of the registration of NGOs. "
Plenipotentiary Representative of Azerbaijan to the European Court of Human Rights Chingiz Askerov said that Azerbaijan supports the adoption of the law "On defamation" that meets European standards.
He recalled the presence in the laws of other countries and sanctions for libel and slander.
Department Head of the CEC Rovzat Gasimov told the committee about the organization of the election campaign, the system of webcams to ensure transparency and cooperation with the OSCE, the CEC and the Council of Europe.
Azerbaijani Deputy Foreign Minister Khalaf Khalafov noted that the country is moving towards democracy.
He noted that in recent years is a lot of work to ensure the country's pluralism, freedom of speech and of the press, social equality.
Khalafov expressed satisfaction with the attention of the international community to the situation in Azerbaijan, said Azerbaijan's openness to dialogue.
The Deputy Minister also touched upon the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, focused attention on the problems of internally displaced persons.
He said Azerbaijan is able to liberate its territories from occupation.
Along with increasing success in the area of civil and political rights in Azerbaijan, Deputy Minister also acknowledged the shortcomings. He said that Azerbaijan remains committed to the obligation to hold free and fair elections in accordance with international standards, "For these and other issues, we will continue to cooperate with the European institutions."
Speaking about the economic achievements, Khalafov noted that the level of poverty in the whole country of only 6%.
It should be noted that the situation of the human rights situation in Azerbaijan was last discussed in the Human Rights Council, the UN in February 2009. Session of the Universal Periodic Review held every 3 years. Each session is devoted to surveys for 16 countries. For each country, appointed by the speaker 3 of 3 states. During the current session, the co-rapporteurs on Azerbaijan were represented Maldives, Libya and Peru.
Related news releases
- 20.01.2018Working group on Caspian legal status to meet in February
- 20.01.2018Azerbaijan, Georgia to hold talks on border delimitation
- 20.01.2018Azerbaijan, Russia to discuss state border demarcation
- 19.01.2018PACE Sub-Committee on Conflicts to be reconstituted
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijani delegation to attend PACE winter session
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Uzbek counterpart
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijani president to address Davos Economic Forum
- 17.01.2018EU-Azerbaijan comprehensive agreement to be discussed at European Parliament
- 17.01.2018PUIC starts its 13th Session
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijani and French FMs met in Paris - UPDATED
- 16.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Turkey to continue to implement major projects this year - UPDATED
- 16.01.2018Bulgarian PM completes Azerbaijan visit
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev: Bulgaria and Azerbaijan will continue to cooperate successfully
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev has dinner with Bulgarian PM Boyko Borissov
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM make press statements
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with French counterpart
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM hold expanded meeting
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president holds one-on-one meeting with Bulgarian PM
- 15.01.2018Iran’s Rouhani to visit Baku late March
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan-Moldova intergovernmental commission on economic co-op to meet in first half of 2018
- 15.01.2018Russia says satisfied with strategic partnership with Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Iranian counterpart
- 13.01.2018Azerbaijan stands firmly next to Turkey on all regional issues – envoy
- 12.01.2018Kestutis Jankauskas: "Negotiations on the aviation agreement between Azerbaijan and the EU are almost completed"
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijani, Swiss presidents to meet in Davos
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijan highly values Italy’s willingness to take responsibility of chairing OSCE at challenging period
- 11.01.2018Azerbaijan joins Framework Agreement on Facilitation of Cross-border Paperless Trade in Asia and the Pacific
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev extends condolences over death Georgia’s first ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 09.01.2018Bulgarian president phones President Ilham Aliyev
- 08.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming ambassadors - UPDATED
- 08.01.2018NATO official comments on upcoming high-level meeting with Russia in Baku
- 05.01.2018Samad Seyidov comments on change in composition of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE
- 04.01.2018Patriarch Kirill sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 04.01.2018Staff of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE changed - UPDATED
- 03.01.2018Azerbaijan and EU to hold next round of negotiations in February
- 30.12.2017We hope that conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia will be resolved in 2018 – Iranian spokesman
- 30.12.2017Putin congratulates Azerbaijani president
- 29.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives letter from Georgian counterpart
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani MPs slam Georgia’s intention to provide Armenia with access to Russia
- 29.12.2017Ambassador: Azerbaijan-Georgia economic cooperation yet to reach its potential - INTERVIEW
- 01.05.2013Farhad Mammadov: “Oil factor has been playing a decisive role in the fate of the Azerbaijani people and state for the last 160 years”
- 01.05.2013Azerbaijani Foreign Minister to visit India and Sri-Lanka
- 01.05.2013Date of Joao Soares’ visit to Azerbaijan made public
- 30.04.2013Azerbaijani President receives Director General and CEO of International Air Transport Association Tony Tyler
- 30.04.2013Azerbaijani President receives Greek Foreign Minister
- 30.04.2013Azerbaijan and Netherlands to sign agreement on mutual protection and promotion of investments - PHOTO