Report on Azerbaijan considered at the session of the UN Human Rights Council
According to APA, Azerbaijan was represented at the discussions a delegation headed by Deputy Foreign Minister Khalaf Khalafov.
To the Council by the UN Human Rights were issued two reports - the government of Azerbaijan and the Council's own report. Representatives of 83 countries participating in the discussions presented a series of consultations to Azerbaijan. In discussions on Azerbaijan, mostly voiced positive views, the meeting welcomed the adoption of the country's national plan of action in relation to human rights and a special program in the fight against corruption.
During the discussions were also noted issues related to the situation in the field of freedom of speech and press in Azerbaijan, arrest of political activists, NGO registration, the electoral procedure, an independent judiciary, freedom of assembly, freedom of religion. The representative of Turkey touched the Armenian-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, noting the importance of efforts by the international community for the return of IDPs to their homes.
The representative of Russia welcomed the opening of the ASAN service in Azerbaijan.
The recommendations proposed by Azerbaijan, reflected issues such as freedom of assembly, the creation of a separate juvenile court structure, increasing the number of women in management positions, continuing the fight against corruption, increasing investments in education.
The Government of Azerbaijan in the next 6 months to make a decision on the adoption or rejection of recommendations proposed during the discussion.
In discussions on issues concerning various spheres meet Deputy Foreign Minister Khalaf Khalafov, head of the international relations department of the CEC Rovzat Gasimov, Deputy Chairman of the State Committee for Family, Women and Children Aynur Sofiyeva, Deputy Minister of Justice Togrul Musayev and Plenipotentiary of Azerbaijan to the European Court of Human Rights Chingiz Askerov.
Deputy Minister of Justice Togrul Musayev said that Azerbaijan continues to implement reforms in the judiciary is functioning Judicial Council. T.Musaev noted that Azerbaijan has registered 3,000 NGOs also carry out normal activities of unregistered NGOs: "In Azerbaijan, there is no problem for NGOs. Adopted the same laws are provided to simplify and streamline their operations. Azerbaijan is extremely rare lawsuits in connection with the cancellation of the registration of NGOs. "
Plenipotentiary Representative of Azerbaijan to the European Court of Human Rights Chingiz Askerov said that Azerbaijan supports the adoption of the law "On defamation" that meets European standards.
He recalled the presence in the laws of other countries and sanctions for libel and slander.
Department Head of the CEC Rovzat Gasimov told the committee about the organization of the election campaign, the system of webcams to ensure transparency and cooperation with the OSCE, the CEC and the Council of Europe.
Azerbaijani Deputy Foreign Minister Khalaf Khalafov noted that the country is moving towards democracy.
He noted that in recent years is a lot of work to ensure the country's pluralism, freedom of speech and of the press, social equality.
Khalafov expressed satisfaction with the attention of the international community to the situation in Azerbaijan, said Azerbaijan's openness to dialogue.
The Deputy Minister also touched upon the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, focused attention on the problems of internally displaced persons.
He said Azerbaijan is able to liberate its territories from occupation.
Along with increasing success in the area of civil and political rights in Azerbaijan, Deputy Minister also acknowledged the shortcomings. He said that Azerbaijan remains committed to the obligation to hold free and fair elections in accordance with international standards, "For these and other issues, we will continue to cooperate with the European institutions."
Speaking about the economic achievements, Khalafov noted that the level of poverty in the whole country of only 6%.
It should be noted that the situation of the human rights situation in Azerbaijan was last discussed in the Human Rights Council, the UN in February 2009. Session of the Universal Periodic Review held every 3 years. Each session is devoted to surveys for 16 countries. For each country, appointed by the speaker 3 of 3 states. During the current session, the co-rapporteurs on Azerbaijan were represented Maldives, Libya and Peru.
Related news releases
- 24.05.2018Azerbaijan president signs pardon order
- 24.05.2018Ambassador: French FM’s upcoming visit to Azerbaijan will be contribution to ADR centenary
- 24.05.2018Donald Trump sends congratulatory letter to Ilham Aliyev
- 23.05.2018Stefan Schennach: Samad Seyidov has to be replaced in PACE June session
- 23.05.2018Turkmen, Ukrainian leaders congratulate Azerbaijani president
- 23.05.2018Turkey’s Erdogan congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 23.05.2018Russian PM congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 23.05.2018Georgian gov’t won’t oppose public opinion and agree to open alternative route to Armenia – political analyst
- 23.05.2018Mayor of Las Vegas signs proclamation on 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 22.05.2018EU, Azerbaijan to hold talks on new agreement in late May
- 22.05.2018King of Saudi Arabia congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 22.05.2018Queen Elizabeth II congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 22.05.2018Leaders of some countries congratulate Azerbaijani president
- 22.05.2018Serbian president ends official visit to Azerbaijan
- 22.05.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry holds expanded meeting
- 22.05.2018George Tsereteli: No decision on OSCE PA’s special rep. for South Caucasus
- 22.05.2018OSCE PA President: Enough resources for constructive cooperation with Azerbaijan - INTERVIEW
- 22.05.2018California Governor congratulates Azerbaijan on 100th anniversary of ADR
- 21.05.2018Vucic: Serbia intends to develop co-op with Azerbaijan in all spheres
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Relations with Serbia of great importance to Azerbaijan
- 21.05.2018Aleksandar Vucic: Much remains to be done in Serbia in terms of Azerbaijan’s interests
- 21.05.2018President Vucic: Serbia is friendly country to Azerbaijan
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Serbia ties will continue to develop successfully
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani, Serbian presidents make press statements
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijan, Serbia ink several documents
- 21.05.2018Presidents of Azerbaijan, Serbia hold expanded meeting
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani, Serbian presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 21.05.2018Serbia’s Vucic officially welcomed in Baku
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Significant work done towards rapid reduction of unemployment - UPDATED
- 21.05.2018Serbian president arrives in Azerbaijan
- 21.05.2018Legal status of Caspian Sea to be discussed in Astana on May 21-24
- 19.05.2018Poroshenko signs decree on recalling Ukraine’s representatives from CIS statutory bodies
- 19.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov: "Azerbaijan remains ready to contribute to the just solution of the Palestinian issue"
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President meets with UNESCO Director General in Paris
- 18.05.2018Mehriban Aliyev attends conference on 80th birthday of Koïchiro Matsuura in Paris
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijani, Kyrgyz presidents hold phone talk
- 18.05.2018Baku to convey serious protest to Russian Foreign Ministry
- 16.05.2018Head of delegation: No one will accept such Council of Europe
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev sends congratulatory letter to King of Norway
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: I’ve been interrogated for 3 hours
- 01.05.2013Farhad Mammadov: “Oil factor has been playing a decisive role in the fate of the Azerbaijani people and state for the last 160 years”
- 01.05.2013Azerbaijani Foreign Minister to visit India and Sri-Lanka
- 01.05.2013Date of Joao Soares’ visit to Azerbaijan made public
- 30.04.2013Azerbaijani President receives Director General and CEO of International Air Transport Association Tony Tyler
- 30.04.2013Azerbaijani President receives Greek Foreign Minister
- 30.04.2013Azerbaijan and Netherlands to sign agreement on mutual protection and promotion of investments - PHOTO