Report on Azerbaijan considered at the session of the UN Human Rights Council
According to APA, Azerbaijan was represented at the discussions a delegation headed by Deputy Foreign Minister Khalaf Khalafov.
To the Council by the UN Human Rights were issued two reports - the government of Azerbaijan and the Council's own report. Representatives of 83 countries participating in the discussions presented a series of consultations to Azerbaijan. In discussions on Azerbaijan, mostly voiced positive views, the meeting welcomed the adoption of the country's national plan of action in relation to human rights and a special program in the fight against corruption.
During the discussions were also noted issues related to the situation in the field of freedom of speech and press in Azerbaijan, arrest of political activists, NGO registration, the electoral procedure, an independent judiciary, freedom of assembly, freedom of religion. The representative of Turkey touched the Armenian-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, noting the importance of efforts by the international community for the return of IDPs to their homes.
The representative of Russia welcomed the opening of the ASAN service in Azerbaijan.
The recommendations proposed by Azerbaijan, reflected issues such as freedom of assembly, the creation of a separate juvenile court structure, increasing the number of women in management positions, continuing the fight against corruption, increasing investments in education.
The Government of Azerbaijan in the next 6 months to make a decision on the adoption or rejection of recommendations proposed during the discussion.
In discussions on issues concerning various spheres meet Deputy Foreign Minister Khalaf Khalafov, head of the international relations department of the CEC Rovzat Gasimov, Deputy Chairman of the State Committee for Family, Women and Children Aynur Sofiyeva, Deputy Minister of Justice Togrul Musayev and Plenipotentiary of Azerbaijan to the European Court of Human Rights Chingiz Askerov.
Deputy Minister of Justice Togrul Musayev said that Azerbaijan continues to implement reforms in the judiciary is functioning Judicial Council. T.Musaev noted that Azerbaijan has registered 3,000 NGOs also carry out normal activities of unregistered NGOs: "In Azerbaijan, there is no problem for NGOs. Adopted the same laws are provided to simplify and streamline their operations. Azerbaijan is extremely rare lawsuits in connection with the cancellation of the registration of NGOs. "
Plenipotentiary Representative of Azerbaijan to the European Court of Human Rights Chingiz Askerov said that Azerbaijan supports the adoption of the law "On defamation" that meets European standards.
He recalled the presence in the laws of other countries and sanctions for libel and slander.
Department Head of the CEC Rovzat Gasimov told the committee about the organization of the election campaign, the system of webcams to ensure transparency and cooperation with the OSCE, the CEC and the Council of Europe.
Azerbaijani Deputy Foreign Minister Khalaf Khalafov noted that the country is moving towards democracy.
He noted that in recent years is a lot of work to ensure the country's pluralism, freedom of speech and of the press, social equality.
Khalafov expressed satisfaction with the attention of the international community to the situation in Azerbaijan, said Azerbaijan's openness to dialogue.
The Deputy Minister also touched upon the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, focused attention on the problems of internally displaced persons.
He said Azerbaijan is able to liberate its territories from occupation.
Along with increasing success in the area of civil and political rights in Azerbaijan, Deputy Minister also acknowledged the shortcomings. He said that Azerbaijan remains committed to the obligation to hold free and fair elections in accordance with international standards, "For these and other issues, we will continue to cooperate with the European institutions."
Speaking about the economic achievements, Khalafov noted that the level of poverty in the whole country of only 6%.
It should be noted that the situation of the human rights situation in Azerbaijan was last discussed in the Human Rights Council, the UN in February 2009. Session of the Universal Periodic Review held every 3 years. Each session is devoted to surveys for 16 countries. For each country, appointed by the speaker 3 of 3 states. During the current session, the co-rapporteurs on Azerbaijan were represented Maldives, Libya and Peru.
Related news releases
- 25.04.2017BSEC committee meeting underway in Baku - UPDATED
- 25.04.2017Candidates for post of UNESCO Director-General to be interviewed
- 24.04.2017Russian Foreign Ministry responds to request on measures to protect Russian citizen Dilgam Asgarov
- 24.04.2017CoE Committee of Ministers urges Armenia, Azerbaijan to avoid further escalation
- 24.04.2017Armenian provocation prevented at Dubai tourism exhibition
- 24.04.2017Hamid Aboutalebi: Iran-Azerbaijan ties to develop further
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijani FM leaves for Lithuania
- 22.04.2017Moroccan FM to visit Azerbaijan
- 22.04.2017Delegation of Azerbaijani parliament to attend PACE spring session
- 22.04.2017Azerbaijani president receives former Austrian president
- 21.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives FIDE president - UPDATED
- 21.04.2017Ukrainian police take control of hijacking of Azerbaijani trucks – embassy
- 20.04.2017Top official: Azerbaijan has become leader in South Caucasus
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan, Georgia hold consultations on state border delimitation
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan gets status of guest at OECD Development Assistance Committee
- 19.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Talks on new EU-Azerbaijan agreement – important step to develop bilateral cooperation - UPDATED
- 18.04.2017Mard: EU looking forward to next round of talks with Azerbaijan
- 18.04.2017Ilham Aliyev receives former Bulgarian president Plevneliev
- 18.04.2017EU has implemented 70 civil society projects in Azerbaijan since 2007
- 18.04.2017Malta supports signing of EU-Azerbaijan strategic partnership agreement – PM
- 18.04.2017Meeting of Minsk Group countries’ parliamentarians in OSCE PA expected in coming months
- 17.04.2017Azerbaijani FM leaves for Malta and Italy - UPDATED
- 17.04.2017Baku hosts 4th meeting of joint commission on Azerbaijan-Russia border demarcation
- 16.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev phoned Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan
- 16.04.2017Azerbaijan interested in developing military co-op with Iran – defense minister
- 16.04.2017Iranian defense minister: Hope Azerbaijan and Armenia won’t permit third parties to interfere in conflict
- 16.04.2017Azerbaijan and Iran discussed expansion of military cooperation
- 14.04.2017New chair of European Parliament Foreign Affairs Committee to visit Azerbaijan
- 14.04.2017Azerbaijan, Djibouti set up interparliamentary working group
- 14.04.2017Moscow says draft convention on Caspian Sea’s status almost ready for signing
- 14.04.2017MFA: Visa-free regime – one of topics of discussion between Azerbaijan, EU
- 13.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Kyiv Mayor Klitschko - UPDATED
- 13.04.2017Azerbaijan, Ukraine to sign several documents soon
- 13.04.2017Klitschko: Kyiv-Baku cooperation potential not fully realized
- 13.04.2017Visegrad Group welcomes Azerbaijan’s intention to continue visa liberalization dialogue with EU
- 13.04.2017Fourth meeting of Azerbaijan-Russia joint commission on demarcation kicks off in Baku
- 12.04.2017FM: New Azerbaijan-EU agreement reflects support for and respect to territorial integrity of Azerbaijan
- 12.04.2017Lapshin has no complaints about detention conditions: Russian MFA
- 12.04.2017Baku to host meeting of EU-Azerbaijan cooperation committee
- 12.04.2017EU delegation to visit Azerbaijan ahead of Eastern Partnership summit
- 01.05.2013Farhad Mammadov: “Oil factor has been playing a decisive role in the fate of the Azerbaijani people and state for the last 160 years”
- 01.05.2013Azerbaijani Foreign Minister to visit India and Sri-Lanka
- 01.05.2013Date of Joao Soares’ visit to Azerbaijan made public
- 30.04.2013Azerbaijani President receives Director General and CEO of International Air Transport Association Tony Tyler
- 30.04.2013Azerbaijani President receives Greek Foreign Minister
- 30.04.2013Azerbaijan and Netherlands to sign agreement on mutual protection and promotion of investments - PHOTO