Report on Azerbaijan considered at the session of the UN Human Rights Council
According to APA, Azerbaijan was represented at the discussions a delegation headed by Deputy Foreign Minister Khalaf Khalafov.
To the Council by the UN Human Rights were issued two reports - the government of Azerbaijan and the Council's own report. Representatives of 83 countries participating in the discussions presented a series of consultations to Azerbaijan. In discussions on Azerbaijan, mostly voiced positive views, the meeting welcomed the adoption of the country's national plan of action in relation to human rights and a special program in the fight against corruption.
During the discussions were also noted issues related to the situation in the field of freedom of speech and press in Azerbaijan, arrest of political activists, NGO registration, the electoral procedure, an independent judiciary, freedom of assembly, freedom of religion. The representative of Turkey touched the Armenian-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, noting the importance of efforts by the international community for the return of IDPs to their homes.
The representative of Russia welcomed the opening of the ASAN service in Azerbaijan.
The recommendations proposed by Azerbaijan, reflected issues such as freedom of assembly, the creation of a separate juvenile court structure, increasing the number of women in management positions, continuing the fight against corruption, increasing investments in education.
The Government of Azerbaijan in the next 6 months to make a decision on the adoption or rejection of recommendations proposed during the discussion.
In discussions on issues concerning various spheres meet Deputy Foreign Minister Khalaf Khalafov, head of the international relations department of the CEC Rovzat Gasimov, Deputy Chairman of the State Committee for Family, Women and Children Aynur Sofiyeva, Deputy Minister of Justice Togrul Musayev and Plenipotentiary of Azerbaijan to the European Court of Human Rights Chingiz Askerov.
Deputy Minister of Justice Togrul Musayev said that Azerbaijan continues to implement reforms in the judiciary is functioning Judicial Council. T.Musaev noted that Azerbaijan has registered 3,000 NGOs also carry out normal activities of unregistered NGOs: "In Azerbaijan, there is no problem for NGOs. Adopted the same laws are provided to simplify and streamline their operations. Azerbaijan is extremely rare lawsuits in connection with the cancellation of the registration of NGOs. "
Plenipotentiary Representative of Azerbaijan to the European Court of Human Rights Chingiz Askerov said that Azerbaijan supports the adoption of the law "On defamation" that meets European standards.
He recalled the presence in the laws of other countries and sanctions for libel and slander.
Department Head of the CEC Rovzat Gasimov told the committee about the organization of the election campaign, the system of webcams to ensure transparency and cooperation with the OSCE, the CEC and the Council of Europe.
Azerbaijani Deputy Foreign Minister Khalaf Khalafov noted that the country is moving towards democracy.
He noted that in recent years is a lot of work to ensure the country's pluralism, freedom of speech and of the press, social equality.
Khalafov expressed satisfaction with the attention of the international community to the situation in Azerbaijan, said Azerbaijan's openness to dialogue.
The Deputy Minister also touched upon the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, focused attention on the problems of internally displaced persons.
He said Azerbaijan is able to liberate its territories from occupation.
Along with increasing success in the area of civil and political rights in Azerbaijan, Deputy Minister also acknowledged the shortcomings. He said that Azerbaijan remains committed to the obligation to hold free and fair elections in accordance with international standards, "For these and other issues, we will continue to cooperate with the European institutions."
Speaking about the economic achievements, Khalafov noted that the level of poverty in the whole country of only 6%.
It should be noted that the situation of the human rights situation in Azerbaijan was last discussed in the Human Rights Council, the UN in February 2009. Session of the Universal Periodic Review held every 3 years. Each session is devoted to surveys for 16 countries. For each country, appointed by the speaker 3 of 3 states. During the current session, the co-rapporteurs on Azerbaijan were represented Maldives, Libya and Peru.
Related news releases
- 28.06.2017Azerbaijani President meets with Polish Prime Minister
- 28.06.2017Azerbaijani President: “The Southern Gas Corridor is the only new source of gas supplies to Europe”
- 27.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev: Declaration signed between Azerbaijan and Poland is a very serious political document
- 27.06.2017Presidents of Azerbaijan, Poland hold expanded meeting - UPDATED
- 27.06.2017Polish president: We would like to create a direct railway line between Azerbaijan and Poland
- 27.06.2017Azerbaijani, Polish presidents hold one-on-one meeting in Warsaw - UPDATED
- 27.06.2017Azerbaijan, Poland sign documents
- 27.06.2017Azerbaijani, Polish presidents make statements to the press
- 27.06.2017Azerbaijani, Polish presidents exchange gifts
- 27.06.2017Official welcome ceremony held for Azerbaijani president in Warsaw
- 26.06.2017Azerbaijani president arrives in Warsaw for official visit
- 26.06.2017Uncertainty continues over Agramunt’s PACE presidency
- 25.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev received Russian deputy prime minister
- 25.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev received President and Chairman of VTB Bank Management Board
- 25.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev received Executive Chairman of Formula One Group
- 25.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev received editor-in-chief of Russian “Zavtra” newspaper
- 24.06.2017Azerbaijani President sends congratulatory letter to Slovenian president
- 24.06.2017Azerbaijani President sends congratulatory letter to Croatian president
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijan names new ambassador to France
- 23.06.2017Moldovan president completes visit to Azerbaijan
- 23.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Georgia should implement joint educational projects - UPDATED
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijan to demand explanation from Czech Foreign Ministry on ambassador’s statements
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijan's candidate for UNESCO director-general visits Germany
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijani FM meets Costa Rican counterpart in Baku
- 23.06.2017Azerbaijani president congratulates new Saudi crown prince
- 23.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Costa Rican FM
- 23.06.2017Malena Mard: I will get back to work in Swedish foreign ministry
- 23.06.2017UK Ambassador: Azerbaijan is not only a major global energy player but also a source of opportunity for other areas of business
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani president: “Need to give dynamism to the relations between Azerbaijan and Moldova”
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijan provides aid to four countries stricken by famine threat
- 22.06.2017Moldovan president visits Alley of Martyrs in Baku
- 22.06.2017Moldovan president pays respect to Azerbaijan's national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 22.06.2017Igor Dodon: Wide range of issues discussed at meeting with Azerbaijani president
- 22.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Moldova have good potential for trade and economic cooperation
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani president hosts official dinner reception in honor of Moldovan counterpart
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani, Moldovan presidents make press statements
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani, Moldovan presidents hold expanded meeting
- 22.06.2017PACE co-rapporteurs issue statement after their visit to Azerbaijan
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani, Moldovan presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 22.06.2017Official welcoming ceremony held for Moldovan president
- 01.05.2013Farhad Mammadov: “Oil factor has been playing a decisive role in the fate of the Azerbaijani people and state for the last 160 years”
- 01.05.2013Azerbaijani Foreign Minister to visit India and Sri-Lanka
- 01.05.2013Date of Joao Soares’ visit to Azerbaijan made public
- 30.04.2013Azerbaijani President receives Director General and CEO of International Air Transport Association Tony Tyler
- 30.04.2013Azerbaijani President receives Greek Foreign Minister
- 30.04.2013Azerbaijan and Netherlands to sign agreement on mutual protection and promotion of investments - PHOTO