Raimonds Vejonis: Latvia does not recognize ‘referendum’ in Nagorno-Karabakh - INTERVIEW
Q. During his recent visit to Azerbaijan, the Latvian FM said that Azerbaijan-EU relations must be based on strategic partnership. How could you contribute to boosting the process of the signing of the corresponding document? Could it be possible prior to the upcoming Eastern Partnership Summit?
A. Latvia welcomes that the negotiations on the new Agreement between the EU and Azerbaijan have been launched. We hope that significant progress in the negotiations will be achieved by the Eastern Partnership Summit.
Q. When and where is the next Azerbaijani-Latvian ministerial meeting due to take place? Could you, along with your Azerbaijani counterpart, initiate a business forum for entrepreneurs from both countries?
A. Specific dates for the next session of Latvia and Azerbaijan Intergovernmental Commission have not been set at this point. Work on strengthening of Latvia and Azerbaijan economic ties is going on.
Q. How do you assess the role of Azerbaijan in promoting worldwide multiculturalism? What are your expectations from this event? Does it mean that the Global Baku Forum’s significance increases year after year? If so, why top European nations are reluctant to join it?
A. Multiculturalism is an important aspect in modern society. In recent years Azerbaijan has hosted various international events. The Baku Forum presents an excellent platform for exchanging of views and I look forward to discuss current challenges for international relations during the Baku forum.
Q. In your opinion, how promising are the energy and transport projects realized by Azerbaijan for Latvia and the European Union?
A. Azerbaijan is an important partner of the European Union in energy and transit sectors. We highly value the role of Azerbaijan in implementation of the Southern Gas Corridor, that will allow us to diversify energy supply sources and routes, as well as to improve energy security, which are all important goals of the EU Energy Union.
Q. What is the position of Latvia regarding the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict? How do you asses the so-called “constitutional referendum” recently held in the occupied Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan? Could such steps harm negotiation process in the future?
A. Latvia believes that the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict should be resolved only by using peaceful means, based on principles of international law.
Latvia is aware that so-called constitutional referendum took place in Nagorno-Karabakh on February 20, 2017. Latvia does not recognize the results of the referendum and stresses that its results cannot prejudge the final status of Nagorno-Karabakh or the outcome of the ongoing negotiations to bring a lasting and peaceful settlement to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
Q. What benefits could Latvia obtain for itself from the Azerbaijan-EU cooperation?
A. Latvia as a firm supporter of strengthening of the EU and Azerbaijan relations is interested in deepening of EU and Azerbaijan cooperation especially in such areas as trade, tourism, investment and transport.
Related news releases
- 28.03.2017Putin, Rouhani discuss Caspian Sea legal status
- 28.03.2017Rouhani: Iran-Russia-Azerbaijan co-op format serves people’s prosperity
- 28.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament speaker meets PACE president
- 28.03.2017Belarus president: Does Armenia have anything to do Lapshin's case?
- 28.03.2017Tillerson: US interested in early settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 27.03.2017Azerbaijan: Excavations by Armenia around Shusha mosque ‘vandalism’
- 27.03.2017Azerbaijan, Turkey to hold political consultations
- 27.03.2017Final statement adopted at summit of GUAM countries’ government heads
- 27.03.2017GUAM calls for resolution of conflicts based on states’ territorial integrity
- 27.03.2017Summit of GUAM countries’ government heads kicks off in Kiev
- 26.03.2017Denmark supports Azerbaijan's territorial integrity - envoy
- 23.03.2017Pakistan, Azerbaijan enjoy excellent bilateral ties – envoy
- 23.03.2017Azerbaijan strongly condemns London terror attack
- 22.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates his counterpart Mamnoon Hussain on Pakistan Day
- 18.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan submitted draft agreement to European Commission
- 18.03.2017Man shot after attack at Paris Orly airport
- 18.03.2017Azerbaijani President congratulates his Tunisian counterpart
- 18.03.2017Mevlut Cavusoglu: Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway project to be launched in two months
- 18.03.2017Nowruz festivities held in Washington
- 17.03.2017Mehriban Aliyeva meet with delgation headed by Iranian Minister
- 17.03.2017Ilham Aliyev meets chairman of Bosnia and Herzegovina Presidency - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Saudi prince - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017Fifth Global Baku Forum underway
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani president’s messages to French society and president: - OPINION
- 17.03.2017Ilham Aliyev receives Iran’s ICT minister - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry's ex-official
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry summons Greek ambassador
- 17.03.2017Baku Forum features session on future of Europe
- 17.03.2017Slovenia’s ex-president calls for reconsideration of Eastern Partnership principles
- 17.03.2017China’s role in int’l relations highlighted at Baku forum
- 17.03.2017Albania fully supports Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity, says president
- 17.03.2017Baku hosts senior officials’ meeting of Istanbul Process
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijan, France celebrate 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations
- 16.03.2017Kemaleddin Heydarov meets Iran’s ICT minister
- 16.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev praises close co-op between Azerbaijan, Georgia - UPDATED
- 16.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets Albanian counterpart
- 16.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets Latvian counterpart - UPDATED
- 16.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets Montenegrin counterpart
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijan's First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets Macedonian first lady
- 16.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets Macedonian counterpart
- 13.03.2017Iran urges Armenia, Azerbaijan to avoid further escalation of tension
- 13.03.2017Azerbaijan doesn’t recognize results of so-called parliamentary elections held in Abkhazia
- 13.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev: "Our relations with France are important"
- 13.03.2017Azerbaijan may adopt separate law on immunity of first vice-president and vice-presidents
- 13.03.2017Netherlands shows disrespect to int’l law: Azerbaijani lawmaker
- 13.03.2017Azerbaijani ambassador to Russia nominated for post of UNESCO director-general