Raimonds Vejonis: Latvia does not recognize ‘referendum’ in Nagorno-Karabakh - INTERVIEW
Q. During his recent visit to Azerbaijan, the Latvian FM said that Azerbaijan-EU relations must be based on strategic partnership. How could you contribute to boosting the process of the signing of the corresponding document? Could it be possible prior to the upcoming Eastern Partnership Summit?
A. Latvia welcomes that the negotiations on the new Agreement between the EU and Azerbaijan have been launched. We hope that significant progress in the negotiations will be achieved by the Eastern Partnership Summit.
Q. When and where is the next Azerbaijani-Latvian ministerial meeting due to take place? Could you, along with your Azerbaijani counterpart, initiate a business forum for entrepreneurs from both countries?
A. Specific dates for the next session of Latvia and Azerbaijan Intergovernmental Commission have not been set at this point. Work on strengthening of Latvia and Azerbaijan economic ties is going on.
Q. How do you assess the role of Azerbaijan in promoting worldwide multiculturalism? What are your expectations from this event? Does it mean that the Global Baku Forum’s significance increases year after year? If so, why top European nations are reluctant to join it?
A. Multiculturalism is an important aspect in modern society. In recent years Azerbaijan has hosted various international events. The Baku Forum presents an excellent platform for exchanging of views and I look forward to discuss current challenges for international relations during the Baku forum.
Q. In your opinion, how promising are the energy and transport projects realized by Azerbaijan for Latvia and the European Union?
A. Azerbaijan is an important partner of the European Union in energy and transit sectors. We highly value the role of Azerbaijan in implementation of the Southern Gas Corridor, that will allow us to diversify energy supply sources and routes, as well as to improve energy security, which are all important goals of the EU Energy Union.
Q. What is the position of Latvia regarding the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict? How do you asses the so-called “constitutional referendum” recently held in the occupied Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan? Could such steps harm negotiation process in the future?
A. Latvia believes that the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict should be resolved only by using peaceful means, based on principles of international law.
Latvia is aware that so-called constitutional referendum took place in Nagorno-Karabakh on February 20, 2017. Latvia does not recognize the results of the referendum and stresses that its results cannot prejudge the final status of Nagorno-Karabakh or the outcome of the ongoing negotiations to bring a lasting and peaceful settlement to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
Q. What benefits could Latvia obtain for itself from the Azerbaijan-EU cooperation?
A. Latvia as a firm supporter of strengthening of the EU and Azerbaijan relations is interested in deepening of EU and Azerbaijan cooperation especially in such areas as trade, tourism, investment and transport.
Related news releases
- 29.05.2017Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev phoned Hassan Rouhani
- 29.05.2017Azerbaijani FM leaves for Colombia
- 29.05.2017Hassan Rouhani sends congratulatory letter to Azerbaijani president
- 29.05.2017NATO PA spring session ends in Tbilisi
- 29.05.2017Azerbaijani FM to visit Hungary
- 29.05.2017Azerbaijan, Russia start joint cross-border operation
- 29.05.2017Utah State Senate signs citation recognizing Azerbaijan Republic Day
- 29.05.2017May 28 recognized as “Azerbaijan National Day” by California State Legislators
- 27.05.2017Emperor of Japan sends congratulatory letter to Azerbaijani President
- 27.05.2017Azerbaijani president sends letter of condolence to Egyptian counterpart
- 26.05.2017Azerbaijan condemns terror attack in Egypt
- 26.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan highly appreciates Trump’s speech at Arab Islamic American Summit
- 26.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani army among world's strong armies
- 26.05.2017Trump: Azerbaijan is valued partner of US
- 26.05.2017Mammadyarov: Azerbaijan is most interested party in earliest resolution of Karabakh conflict
- 26.05.2017West Hollywood proclaims May 28 as ‘Azerbaijan National Day’
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijan recalls ambassador from Switzerland
- 25.05.2017Putin: Azerbaijan plays important role in resolving pressing issues on int’l agenda
- 25.05.2017Russia says it has open dialogue with Azerbaijan
- 25.05.2017Document on illegal activities in Azerbaijan’s occupied lands circulated at UN
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijani FM meets with UN Secretary General
- 25.05.2017Republic Day of Azerbaijan celebrated in Los Angeles
- 24.05.2017Lukashenko: Azerbaijan’s high achievements are an example for many states
- 24.05.2017Queen Elizabeth II congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 24.05.2017Erdogan: Turkey highly appreciates Azerbaijan’s achievements in all areas
- 24.05.2017Pope Francis congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 24.05.2017Volume of US financial aid to Azerbaijan revealed
- 24.05.2017Azerbaijani president to visit Hungary
- 24.05.2017Armenian representative’s objection causes discontent in Euronest PA
- 24.05.2017UK envoy: Terrorism will never win
- 24.05.2017PACE co-rapporteurs to visit Azerbaijan
- 24.05.2017Azerbaijani FM leaves for New York
- 23.05.2017Kings of Sweden, Norway and Netherlands send congratulatory letter to Azerbaijani president
- 23.05.2017Frank-Walter Steinmeier sends congratulatory letter to Azerbaijani president
- 23.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s policy aimed at putting an end to conflicts between Muslim countries
- 23.05.2017MFA comments on anti-Azerbaijani article published in Russian state news agency
- 23.05.2017UK embassy in Azerbaijan to open book of condolences
- 23.05.2017Baku-Tbilisi-Kars project to change region’s fate - Turkish PM
- 23.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Theresa May
- 23.05.2017No Azerbaijanis among victims of Manchester explosion
- 13.03.2017Iran urges Armenia, Azerbaijan to avoid further escalation of tension
- 13.03.2017Azerbaijan doesn’t recognize results of so-called parliamentary elections held in Abkhazia
- 13.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev: "Our relations with France are important"
- 13.03.2017Azerbaijan may adopt separate law on immunity of first vice-president and vice-presidents
- 13.03.2017Netherlands shows disrespect to int’l law: Azerbaijani lawmaker
- 13.03.2017Azerbaijani ambassador to Russia nominated for post of UNESCO director-general