Raimonds Vejonis: Latvia does not recognize ‘referendum’ in Nagorno-Karabakh - INTERVIEW
Q. During his recent visit to Azerbaijan, the Latvian FM said that Azerbaijan-EU relations must be based on strategic partnership. How could you contribute to boosting the process of the signing of the corresponding document? Could it be possible prior to the upcoming Eastern Partnership Summit?
A. Latvia welcomes that the negotiations on the new Agreement between the EU and Azerbaijan have been launched. We hope that significant progress in the negotiations will be achieved by the Eastern Partnership Summit.
Q. When and where is the next Azerbaijani-Latvian ministerial meeting due to take place? Could you, along with your Azerbaijani counterpart, initiate a business forum for entrepreneurs from both countries?
A. Specific dates for the next session of Latvia and Azerbaijan Intergovernmental Commission have not been set at this point. Work on strengthening of Latvia and Azerbaijan economic ties is going on.
Q. How do you assess the role of Azerbaijan in promoting worldwide multiculturalism? What are your expectations from this event? Does it mean that the Global Baku Forum’s significance increases year after year? If so, why top European nations are reluctant to join it?
A. Multiculturalism is an important aspect in modern society. In recent years Azerbaijan has hosted various international events. The Baku Forum presents an excellent platform for exchanging of views and I look forward to discuss current challenges for international relations during the Baku forum.
Q. In your opinion, how promising are the energy and transport projects realized by Azerbaijan for Latvia and the European Union?
A. Azerbaijan is an important partner of the European Union in energy and transit sectors. We highly value the role of Azerbaijan in implementation of the Southern Gas Corridor, that will allow us to diversify energy supply sources and routes, as well as to improve energy security, which are all important goals of the EU Energy Union.
Q. What is the position of Latvia regarding the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict? How do you asses the so-called “constitutional referendum” recently held in the occupied Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan? Could such steps harm negotiation process in the future?
A. Latvia believes that the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict should be resolved only by using peaceful means, based on principles of international law.
Latvia is aware that so-called constitutional referendum took place in Nagorno-Karabakh on February 20, 2017. Latvia does not recognize the results of the referendum and stresses that its results cannot prejudge the final status of Nagorno-Karabakh or the outcome of the ongoing negotiations to bring a lasting and peaceful settlement to the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
Q. What benefits could Latvia obtain for itself from the Azerbaijan-EU cooperation?
A. Latvia as a firm supporter of strengthening of the EU and Azerbaijan relations is interested in deepening of EU and Azerbaijan cooperation especially in such areas as trade, tourism, investment and transport.
Related news releases
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Latvian counterpart
- 17.11.2017Meeting of EU-Azerbaijan subcommittee on cooperation to take place in December
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM says talks on new agreement with EU can be finished next year
- 17.11.2017Booking.com restarts illegal hotel reservations in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 17.11.2017Deputy FM: We try Azerbaijan’s position to be reflected in EaP summit declaration
- 17.11.2017UNICEF regional director to visit Azerbaijan
- 17.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Uzbek deputy PM
- 16.11.2017U.S. actively works with Azerbaijan towards ensuring global energy security – ambassador
- 16.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Kazakh first deputy PM
- 16.11.2017Moscow: Lavrov to discuss bilateral relations in Baku
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE MG co-chairs in Moscow
- 16.11.2017Uzbek defense minister in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani, Brazilian FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates Borut Pahor on reelection as Slovenian president
- 15.11.2017UK ambassadors from regional countries to hold conference in Baku
- 15.11.2017Brazil’s position on violation of sovereignty in world based on long-term policy – FM
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan, Brazil agree to expand bilateral ties
- 15.11.2017FM: Brazil supports Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 15.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by Brazilian FM
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani president receives Moldovan interior minister - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017A reception is held in Paris in honor of the nomination of Baku as a candidate city for the exhibition "Ехpо 2025"
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani President sends congratulatory letter to Palestinian President
- 14.11.2017FM Mammadyarov receives governor of Egypt’s South Sinai
- 14.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: CoE secretary general’s activity caused artificial crisis with Azerbaijan
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani FM receives incoming Sudanese ambassador
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani FM to visit Moscow on Nov. 16
- 14.11.2017Brazilian FM to visit Azerbaijan
- 13.11.2017Azerbaijani FM receives outgoing ambassador of Bulgaria
- 13.11.2017EU appoints new special representative for South Caucasus and crisis in Georgia
- 13.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev extends condolences to Iraqi PM
- 13.11.2017Azerbaijan offers assistance to Iran after earthquake - Iranian envoy
- 13.11.2017Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Iranian counterpart
- 10.11.2017Azerbaijani FM meets with African Union commissioners
- 10.11.2017Azerbaijani FM meets with African Union Commissioner for Peace and Security
- 09.11.2017Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry expresses its attitude to the report on the detention of 200 Azerbaijani women in Iraq
- 09.11.2017Azerbaijan’s National Flag Day celebrated in California’s Monterey city
- 09.11.2017Israel's ambassador to Azerbaijan visits western disricts
- 09.11.2017Azerbaijani FM meets with Ethiopian president
- 08.11.2017Ali Hasanov: We feel hurtful about some Turkish MPs having voted against Azerbaijan in PACE
- 08.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev sends letter to King of Cambodia
- 13.03.2017Iran urges Armenia, Azerbaijan to avoid further escalation of tension
- 13.03.2017Azerbaijan doesn’t recognize results of so-called parliamentary elections held in Abkhazia
- 13.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev: "Our relations with France are important"
- 13.03.2017Azerbaijan may adopt separate law on immunity of first vice-president and vice-presidents
- 13.03.2017Netherlands shows disrespect to int’l law: Azerbaijani lawmaker
- 13.03.2017Azerbaijani ambassador to Russia nominated for post of UNESCO director-general