Malta supports signing of EU-Azerbaijan strategic partnership agreement – PM
Azerbaijan’s Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov met with Joseph Muscat, Prime Minister of Malta within the frameworks of his visit to this country.
At the meeting, Joseph Muscat expressed satisfaction with the current high level of bilateral relations, Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry told APA on Tuesday.
He mentioned that Malta is interested in expanding cooperation with Azerbaijan and expressed his confidence that this visit will contribute to the development of relations between the two countries.
Highlighting the importance of relations between Azerbaijan and the European Union, Joseph Muscat applauded the EU's high-level officials assessment of the relationship as a strategic partnership.
The premier noted that Malta in the capacity as current EU presidency, supports the signing of the Strategic Partnership Agreement between EU and Azerbaijan and is ready to contribute to this process.
In turn, Minister Mammadyarov said that the relations between the two countries have developed dynamically in the recent years and the high-level visits have created fertile ground for their further enhancement. In this regard Mammadyarov stressed the positive results in the development of cooperation in economic and energy fields.
Noting that the official visit to Malta coincided with this country’s EU presidency, Minister Mammadyarov briefed the PM about the development prospects of EU-Azerbaijan relations and the negotiations on the draft of the agreement for cooperation with EU.
Mammadyarov also touched upon the negotiations process on the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and stated the importance of expressing EU's commitment to the principles of territorial integrity, sovereignty, independence and inviolability of borders of states in a common and unambiguous manner in respect of all conflicts.
At the meeting, the sides discussed the development of relations in various fields and exchanged their views on transnational energy and transport projects, as well as other topics of mutual interest.
Related news releases
- 23.02.2018Moldovan president to visit Azerbaijan
- 23.02.2018U.S. aims to help Azerbaijan become a strong, prosperous state: Ambassador Cekuta
- 23.02.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets with head of Iran's Islamic Culture and Relations Organization
- 23.02.2018Erdogan: 415 sq km now under control in Afrin operation
- 23.02.2018Azerbaijan calls Dutch parliament’s decision ‘biased’
- 23.02.2018Film on Khojaly Genocide screened in California
- 22.02.2018OSCE PA special rep. on South Caucasus resigns
- 22.02.2018Ceremony of laying first border markers on Azerbaijani-Russian border held - UPDATED
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan's FM to address UN Human Rights Council's session
- 22.02.2018MFA: Appeals sent to int'l organizations for monitoring Azerbaijan presidential election
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan, Russia mulling border demarcation
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA, Prosecutor General’s Office issue joint statement on Sumgayit disturbances
- 21.02.2018Envoy Cekuta: U.S. supports transparent and credible electoral process
- 21.02.2018Ilham Aliyev receives ex-president of Dutch Senate
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani president receives Iran’s defense minister
- 21.02.2018Baku reacts to statement of French Foreign Ministry
- 20.02.2018Sergey Lebedev to lead CIS observation mission in Azerbaijan presidential election - UPDATED
- 20.02.2018Outgoing Czech ambassador to Azerbaijan to serve as envoy to Russia
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan names new ambassador to Jordan
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan appoints new consul in Batumi
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan mull energy cooperation
- 19.02.2018Montenegrin president to attend 6th Global Baku Forum
- 19.02.2018ODIHR needs assessment mission to arrive in Baku on Feb. 21 - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018PACE to decide on sending mission for observation of Azerbaijan presidential election in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Armenia’s hypocritical position is key impediment to achieving progress in Karabakh talks - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018EU special rep. for South Caucasus arrives in Baku
- 17.02.2018Baku hosts event in support of Turkey’s Afrin op
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM attends roundtable at Munich Security Conference
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia's speaking of peace is a 'clear hypocrisy'
- 16.02.2018Baku reacts to Russian MFA spokesperson’s remarks
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE chairman
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan invites int’l observers to monitor upcoming presidential election – EU envoy
- 16.02.201854th Munich Security Conference to start today
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president: New agreement with EU to create a new co-op format
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Donald Trump
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Italian deputy economic development minister
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend Munich Security Conference
- 15.02.2018Summit of Caspian states to take place in 2H18
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Serbian counterpart
- 14.02.2018GUAM to send observation mission for upcoming presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 18.04.2017EU has implemented 70 civil society projects in Azerbaijan since 2007
- 18.04.2017Ilham Aliyev receives former Bulgarian president Plevneliev
- 18.04.2017Mard: EU looking forward to next round of talks with Azerbaijan
- 18.04.2017Meeting of Minsk Group countries’ parliamentarians in OSCE PA expected in coming months
- 17.04.2017Azerbaijani FM leaves for Malta and Italy - UPDATED
- 17.04.2017Baku hosts 4th meeting of joint commission on Azerbaijan-Russia border demarcation