Malta supports signing of EU-Azerbaijan strategic partnership agreement – PM
Azerbaijan’s Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov met with Joseph Muscat, Prime Minister of Malta within the frameworks of his visit to this country.
At the meeting, Joseph Muscat expressed satisfaction with the current high level of bilateral relations, Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry told APA on Tuesday.
He mentioned that Malta is interested in expanding cooperation with Azerbaijan and expressed his confidence that this visit will contribute to the development of relations between the two countries.
Highlighting the importance of relations between Azerbaijan and the European Union, Joseph Muscat applauded the EU's high-level officials assessment of the relationship as a strategic partnership.
The premier noted that Malta in the capacity as current EU presidency, supports the signing of the Strategic Partnership Agreement between EU and Azerbaijan and is ready to contribute to this process.
In turn, Minister Mammadyarov said that the relations between the two countries have developed dynamically in the recent years and the high-level visits have created fertile ground for their further enhancement. In this regard Mammadyarov stressed the positive results in the development of cooperation in economic and energy fields.
Noting that the official visit to Malta coincided with this country’s EU presidency, Minister Mammadyarov briefed the PM about the development prospects of EU-Azerbaijan relations and the negotiations on the draft of the agreement for cooperation with EU.
Mammadyarov also touched upon the negotiations process on the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and stated the importance of expressing EU's commitment to the principles of territorial integrity, sovereignty, independence and inviolability of borders of states in a common and unambiguous manner in respect of all conflicts.
At the meeting, the sides discussed the development of relations in various fields and exchanged their views on transnational energy and transport projects, as well as other topics of mutual interest.
Related news releases
- 25.04.2017BSEC committee meeting underway in Baku
- 25.04.2017Candidates for post of UNESCO Director-General to be interviewed
- 24.04.2017Russian Foreign Ministry responds to request on measures to protect Russian citizen Dilgam Asgarov
- 24.04.2017CoE Committee of Ministers urges Armenia, Azerbaijan to avoid further escalation
- 24.04.2017Armenian provocation prevented at Dubai tourism exhibition
- 24.04.2017Hamid Aboutalebi: Iran-Azerbaijan ties to develop further
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijani FM leaves for Lithuania
- 22.04.2017Moroccan FM to visit Azerbaijan
- 22.04.2017Delegation of Azerbaijani parliament to attend PACE spring session
- 22.04.2017Azerbaijani president receives former Austrian president
- 21.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives FIDE president - UPDATED
- 21.04.2017Ukrainian police take control of hijacking of Azerbaijani trucks – embassy
- 20.04.2017Top official: Azerbaijan has become leader in South Caucasus
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan, Georgia hold consultations on state border delimitation
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan gets status of guest at OECD Development Assistance Committee
- 19.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Talks on new EU-Azerbaijan agreement – important step to develop bilateral cooperation - UPDATED
- 16.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev phoned Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan
- 16.04.2017Azerbaijan interested in developing military co-op with Iran – defense minister
- 16.04.2017Iranian defense minister: Hope Azerbaijan and Armenia won’t permit third parties to interfere in conflict
- 16.04.2017Azerbaijan and Iran discussed expansion of military cooperation
- 14.04.2017New chair of European Parliament Foreign Affairs Committee to visit Azerbaijan
- 14.04.2017Azerbaijan, Djibouti set up interparliamentary working group
- 14.04.2017Moscow says draft convention on Caspian Sea’s status almost ready for signing
- 14.04.2017MFA: Visa-free regime – one of topics of discussion between Azerbaijan, EU
- 13.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Kyiv Mayor Klitschko - UPDATED
- 13.04.2017Azerbaijan, Ukraine to sign several documents soon
- 13.04.2017Klitschko: Kyiv-Baku cooperation potential not fully realized
- 13.04.2017Visegrad Group welcomes Azerbaijan’s intention to continue visa liberalization dialogue with EU
- 13.04.2017Fourth meeting of Azerbaijan-Russia joint commission on demarcation kicks off in Baku
- 12.04.2017FM: New Azerbaijan-EU agreement reflects support for and respect to territorial integrity of Azerbaijan
- 12.04.2017Lapshin has no complaints about detention conditions: Russian MFA
- 12.04.2017Baku to host meeting of EU-Azerbaijan cooperation committee
- 12.04.2017EU delegation to visit Azerbaijan ahead of Eastern Partnership summit
- 12.04.2017Azerbaijan, EU to hold next talks on new agreement on April 25
- 12.04.2017EU's Salber to visit Azerbaijan
- 12.04.2017Azerbaijan calls on EU to take unified approach to issue of countries’ territorial integrity - UPDATED
- 11.04.2017Azerbaijani, Polish presidents to meet in June
- 11.04.2017Ilham Aliyev receives former Turkish president Abdullah Gul
- 11.04.2017Bangladesh-Azerbaijan ties rooted in history, common faith, says president
- 11.04.2017Korea’s acting president hails his country’s relations with Azerbaijan
- 18.04.2017EU has implemented 70 civil society projects in Azerbaijan since 2007
- 18.04.2017Ilham Aliyev receives former Bulgarian president Plevneliev
- 18.04.2017Mard: EU looking forward to next round of talks with Azerbaijan
- 18.04.2017Meeting of Minsk Group countries’ parliamentarians in OSCE PA expected in coming months
- 17.04.2017Azerbaijani FM leaves for Malta and Italy - UPDATED
- 17.04.2017Baku hosts 4th meeting of joint commission on Azerbaijan-Russia border demarcation