Malta supports signing of EU-Azerbaijan strategic partnership agreement – PM
Azerbaijan’s Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov met with Joseph Muscat, Prime Minister of Malta within the frameworks of his visit to this country.
At the meeting, Joseph Muscat expressed satisfaction with the current high level of bilateral relations, Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry told APA on Tuesday.
He mentioned that Malta is interested in expanding cooperation with Azerbaijan and expressed his confidence that this visit will contribute to the development of relations between the two countries.
Highlighting the importance of relations between Azerbaijan and the European Union, Joseph Muscat applauded the EU's high-level officials assessment of the relationship as a strategic partnership.
The premier noted that Malta in the capacity as current EU presidency, supports the signing of the Strategic Partnership Agreement between EU and Azerbaijan and is ready to contribute to this process.
In turn, Minister Mammadyarov said that the relations between the two countries have developed dynamically in the recent years and the high-level visits have created fertile ground for their further enhancement. In this regard Mammadyarov stressed the positive results in the development of cooperation in economic and energy fields.
Noting that the official visit to Malta coincided with this country’s EU presidency, Minister Mammadyarov briefed the PM about the development prospects of EU-Azerbaijan relations and the negotiations on the draft of the agreement for cooperation with EU.
Mammadyarov also touched upon the negotiations process on the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and stated the importance of expressing EU's commitment to the principles of territorial integrity, sovereignty, independence and inviolability of borders of states in a common and unambiguous manner in respect of all conflicts.
At the meeting, the sides discussed the development of relations in various fields and exchanged their views on transnational energy and transport projects, as well as other topics of mutual interest.
Related news releases
- 13.12.2017Ambassador: Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan are strategic partners
- 13.12.2017‘Jerusalem has not been abandoned,’ Erdogan says
- 13.12.2017OIC member states recognize E. Jerusalem as Palestine’s capital
- 13.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: U.S. should reconsider its decision on Jerusalem
- 13.12.2017U.S. provides over $30.8 million for mine and UXO clearance in Azerbaijan
- 13.12.2017Mahmoud Abbas rules out U.S. mediator role in Palestine-Israel peace process
- 13.12.2017Turkey’s Erdogan calls for recognition of Jerusalem as ‘occupied capital of Palestine’
- 13.12.2017Erdogan calls Israel an ‘occupying and terror state’
- 13.12.2017OIC summit on Jerusalem kicks off in Istanbul
- 13.12.2017OIC FMs meet in Istanbul to discuss Jerusalem issue
- 12.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Turkey
- 12.12.2017Iran’s Rouhani to visit Azerbaijan next year
- 12.12.2017ECHR: Armenia has to pay for damage to Azerbaijani IDPs
- 12.12.2017Caucasian Muslims Office issues statement on al-Quds
- 12.12.2017Kazakh President Nazarbayev to propose date for Caspian summit
- 12.12.2017Deputy FM says he doesn’t believe in Azerbaijan’s accession to WTO in coming years
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan says issues on aviation agreement with EU can be resolved in early 2018
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan, Georgia to continue negotiations on border delimitation early next year
- 12.12.2017Caspian states to sign separate agreement on water surface division
- 12.12.2017No middle line or any common principle for division of Caspian seabed: Azerbaijani deputy FM
- 12.12.2017Talks on new Azerbaijan-EU agreement may end by late 2018 – deputy FM
- 11.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian State Duma delegation
- 09.12.2017Erdogan invites Ilham Aliyev to attend OIC summit on Jerusalem issue
- 08.12.2017President Aliyev appoints Azerbaijan’s honorary consul to Djibouti
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan appoints new ambassador to Croatia
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan recalls ambassador from Tajikistan
- 08.12.2017Russia never requested Azerbaijan for agrément for Georgy Zuev - Lavrov
- 08.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Sudanese ambassador
- 07.12.2017Elmar Mammadyarov attends the meeting of the GUAM Council of MFA
- 07.12.2017“ASAN Service” is a huge revolution in field of public services – Azerbaijani president
- 07.12.2017Israeli Embassy in Baku reacts to protests over Trump’s Jerusalem declaration
- 07.12.2017UK minister of state for trade to visit Azerbaijan
- 07.12.2017Novruz Mammadov: Azerbaijani public concerned over unfair attitude of certain circles in West and Europe
- 07.12.2017Lavrov: Russia will contribute to search for mutually acceptable solutions to Karabakh conflict
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Guba district
- 07.12.2017Azerbaijan supports peaceful settlement of Israeli-Palestinian conflict - Foreign Ministry
- 06.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan expands partnership with Russia in technology sector
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM: Int’l rules can be applied regarding controversial deposits in Caspian Sea
- 06.12.2017Draft Convention on Caspian status includes preservation of military balance: Azerbaijani MFA
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM reveals Caspian division principles
- 18.04.2017EU has implemented 70 civil society projects in Azerbaijan since 2007
- 18.04.2017Ilham Aliyev receives former Bulgarian president Plevneliev
- 18.04.2017Mard: EU looking forward to next round of talks with Azerbaijan
- 18.04.2017Meeting of Minsk Group countries’ parliamentarians in OSCE PA expected in coming months
- 17.04.2017Azerbaijani FM leaves for Malta and Italy - UPDATED
- 17.04.2017Baku hosts 4th meeting of joint commission on Azerbaijan-Russia border demarcation