Malta supports signing of EU-Azerbaijan strategic partnership agreement – PM
Azerbaijan’s Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov met with Joseph Muscat, Prime Minister of Malta within the frameworks of his visit to this country.
At the meeting, Joseph Muscat expressed satisfaction with the current high level of bilateral relations, Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry told APA on Tuesday.
He mentioned that Malta is interested in expanding cooperation with Azerbaijan and expressed his confidence that this visit will contribute to the development of relations between the two countries.
Highlighting the importance of relations between Azerbaijan and the European Union, Joseph Muscat applauded the EU's high-level officials assessment of the relationship as a strategic partnership.
The premier noted that Malta in the capacity as current EU presidency, supports the signing of the Strategic Partnership Agreement between EU and Azerbaijan and is ready to contribute to this process.
In turn, Minister Mammadyarov said that the relations between the two countries have developed dynamically in the recent years and the high-level visits have created fertile ground for their further enhancement. In this regard Mammadyarov stressed the positive results in the development of cooperation in economic and energy fields.
Noting that the official visit to Malta coincided with this country’s EU presidency, Minister Mammadyarov briefed the PM about the development prospects of EU-Azerbaijan relations and the negotiations on the draft of the agreement for cooperation with EU.
Mammadyarov also touched upon the negotiations process on the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict and stated the importance of expressing EU's commitment to the principles of territorial integrity, sovereignty, independence and inviolability of borders of states in a common and unambiguous manner in respect of all conflicts.
At the meeting, the sides discussed the development of relations in various fields and exchanged their views on transnational energy and transport projects, as well as other topics of mutual interest.
Related news releases
- 23.05.2017Kings of Sweden, Norway and Netherlands send congratulatory letter to Azerbaijani president
- 23.05.2017Frank-Walter Steinmeier sends congratulatory letter to Azerbaijani president
- 23.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s policy aimed at putting an end to conflicts between Muslim countries
- 23.05.2017MFA comments on anti-Azerbaijani article published in Russian state news agency
- 23.05.2017UK embassy in Azerbaijan to open book of condolences
- 23.05.2017Baku-Tbilisi-Kars project to change region’s fate - Turkish PM
- 23.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Theresa May
- 23.05.2017No Azerbaijanis among victims of Manchester explosion
- 23.05.2017Azerbaijan checking if its citizens among Manchester blast victims
- 22.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives UAE delegation - UPDATED
- 22.05.2017Azerbaijani FM briefs European Parliament delegation on settlement process of Karabakh conflict
- 22.05.2017BSEC summit ends with adoption of Istanbul Declaration
- 22.05.2017Erdogan: Some were suspicious that BSEC could continue to exist long
- 22.05.2017MP: Azerbaijan supports organizing peace platform between Armenia, Azerbaijan at European Parliament
- 22.05.2017Romanian investors seeking to expand relations with Azerbaijan, says envoy
- 22.05.2017European Parliament committee chair says Azerbaijan is a valuable partner for Europe
- 22.05.2017BSEC summit: Erdogan sharply reacts to Armenian deputy FM’s anti-Azerbaijani remarks
- 22.05.2017Parl’t speaker: Armenia violates regional security, stability by continuing occupation of Azerbaijani territories
- 22.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives European Parliament delegation
- 22.05.2017BSEC summit kicks off in Istanbul - UPDATED
- 22.05.2017Azerbaijani president meets crown prince of Abu Dhabi
- 21.05.2017Riyadh hosted Arab Islamic American Summit president Ilham Aliyev attended the event - UPDATED
- 21.05.2017Azerbaijan Defense Minister starts official visit to Georgia
- 21.05.2017Azerbaijani president visits Saudi Arabia
- 20.05.2017Azerbaijani president congratulates Iranian president
- 20.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament speaker to visit Turkey
- 19.05.2017Ambassador: Hungary has strongest relations with Azerbaijan among South Caucasus countries
- 19.05.2017UAE foreign minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2017USAID representative: $1.3 billion financial aid allocated for Azerbaijan over last 25 years
- 18.05.2017USAID representative: We’ll continue to deepen our cooperation with Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2017Azerbaijan says hopes for proper consideration of VAK appeal
- 18.05.2017European Parliament delegation due in Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2017UN official to visit Azerbaijan
- 17.05.2017Ilham Aliyev receives ex-president of Dutch Senate - UPDATED
- 17.05.2017Karasin: Russia seeks Caspian Sea to be an example of cooperation, not confrontation
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijan to attend CoE Committee of Ministers meeting in Cyprus
- 16.05.2017Chairperson of Kuwaiti Cabinet Committee on Women's Affairs awarded honorary diploma of Azerbaijani President
- 16.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives executive vice chairman of Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations
- 16.05.2017Baku says VAK liquidation can negatively affect Russia’s mediatory role in Karabakh settlement
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament speaker, Russian State Duma chairman to discuss VAK liquidation
- 18.04.2017EU has implemented 70 civil society projects in Azerbaijan since 2007
- 18.04.2017Ilham Aliyev receives former Bulgarian president Plevneliev
- 18.04.2017Mard: EU looking forward to next round of talks with Azerbaijan
- 18.04.2017Meeting of Minsk Group countries’ parliamentarians in OSCE PA expected in coming months
- 17.04.2017Azerbaijani FM leaves for Malta and Italy - UPDATED
- 17.04.2017Baku hosts 4th meeting of joint commission on Azerbaijan-Russia border demarcation