President Rumen Radev reaffirms Bulgaria’s support for realization of Southern Gas Corridor project
Bulgaria and Azerbaijan are two partners in terms of political, cultural and moral relations, Bulgarian President Rumen Radev, who is on a visit to Baku, told a joint press conference with Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev on Friday, APA reported.
The Bulgarian leader said that at a meeting with President Aliyev they stressed the importance of bilateral cooperation in order to deepen the mutual cooperation.
“We have taken genuine steps into realizing the foundation existing within the frame of the Joint Declaration on Strategic Cooperation which were signed two years ago in order to open the opportunity for cooperation in all areas of mutual interest, including energy, transport, culture, education, tourism, commodity exchange, etc. The fact that we have taken concrete steps is of huge importance because we have great opportunities for further development of our political relations,” said Rumen Radev.
The Bulgarian leader underlined that the volume of trade turnover between the two countries is not satisfactory.
“We can achieve better results. The good news is that the Azerbaijani leadership is ready to open the first flight between Sofia and Baku on January 1 next year, an event that coincides with Bulgaria’s EU Presidency. In this regard, Bulgaria reaffirms its support for Azerbaijan,” he added.
President Radev noted that Bulgaria can contribute to the development of agriculture, in use of new technologies in agriculture, in particular in processing industry, as well as the development of pharmaceutical production in Azerbaijan.
“Thanks to its high technological capabilities in the energy sector, Azerbaijan stands ready to actively cooperation with Bulgaria’s relevant bodies in gasification household sector in our country, as well as the development of a network of filling stations in Bulgaria,” he said.
“Energy is an area that will connect us for many years,” President Radev said reaffirming Bulgaria’s support for the implementation of the Southern Gas Corridor project.
He underlined that Azerbaijan plays a crucial role in the implementation of the Southern Gas Corridor project for the development of sources and routes of gas supply, as well as its real diversification in Southern and Central Europe.
“We confirmed our mutual interest in the development of transport and gas corridors between Asia and Europe. Our countries occupy a strategic position in the region, and we must take a full advantage of this position,” he said.
The Bulgarian leader pointed out that the relations between the two countries in the sphere of culture, education and science have been developing intensively in recent years.
“I expressed my gratitude to President Aliyev for the implementation by the Heydar Aliyev Foundation of the project on the restoration of Trapezitsa fortress. We believe this is the beginning of fruitful cooperation in the field of education and culture,” he said.
As for the security sphere, Rumen Radev said he supports cooperation with Azerbaijan’s relevant bodies.
“I also want your students to study in our universities,” said the president, stressing that Bulgaria is the center of stability and independence not only in the Balkan Peninsula, but also in the Black Sea region.
“I hope that today’s meeting will be important for fruitful cooperation in all areas in the name of security and peace for our peoples,” President Radev added.
Related news releases
- 18.12.2017Azerbaijan appoints new ambassador to Tajikistan
- 18.12.2017Azerbaijani FM receives outgoing Russian ambassador
- 18.12.2017Azerbaijan is a very reliable partner for NATO – Hungarian envoy
- 18.12.2017Member countries’ unified position is GUAM’s main achievement – Secretary General
- 18.12.2017Maros Sefcovic: Azerbaijan is a strategic energy partner for EU - INTERVIEW
- 18.12.2017Nagorno-Karabakh conflict issue raised at GUAM PA session
- 18.12.2017Georgian FM: Conflicts in GUAM countries hamper regional development
- 18.12.2017GUAM achieved stable position in int’l arena – Georgia
- 18.12.2017Tbilisi hosts 10th annual session of GUAM PA
- 16.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Kazakh leader
- 15.12.2017Qatar National Day marked in Baku
- 14.12.2017First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva met with delegation led by UK Minister of State for Trade and Export Promotion
- 14.12.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets with UK Minister of State for Trade and Export Promotion
- 14.12.2017Bahar Muradova: Europe tends to react only when itself faced with threat
- 13.12.2017Ambassador: Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan are strategic partners
- 13.12.2017‘Jerusalem has not been abandoned,’ Erdogan says
- 13.12.2017OIC member states recognize E. Jerusalem as Palestine’s capital
- 13.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: U.S. should reconsider its decision on Jerusalem
- 13.12.2017U.S. provides over $30.8 million for mine and UXO clearance in Azerbaijan
- 13.12.2017Mahmoud Abbas rules out U.S. mediator role in Palestine-Israel peace process
- 13.12.2017Turkey’s Erdogan calls for recognition of Jerusalem as ‘occupied capital of Palestine’
- 13.12.2017Erdogan calls Israel an ‘occupying and terror state’
- 13.12.2017OIC summit on Jerusalem kicks off in Istanbul
- 13.12.2017OIC FMs meet in Istanbul to discuss Jerusalem issue
- 12.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Turkey
- 12.12.2017Iran’s Rouhani to visit Azerbaijan next year
- 12.12.2017ECHR: Armenia has to pay for damage to Azerbaijani IDPs
- 12.12.2017Caucasian Muslims Office issues statement on al-Quds
- 12.12.2017Kazakh President Nazarbayev to propose date for Caspian summit
- 12.12.2017Deputy FM says he doesn’t believe in Azerbaijan’s accession to WTO in coming years
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan says issues on aviation agreement with EU can be resolved in early 2018
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan, Georgia to continue negotiations on border delimitation early next year
- 12.12.2017Caspian states to sign separate agreement on water surface division
- 12.12.2017No middle line or any common principle for division of Caspian seabed: Azerbaijani deputy FM
- 12.12.2017Talks on new Azerbaijan-EU agreement may end by late 2018 – deputy FM
- 11.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian State Duma delegation
- 09.12.2017Erdogan invites Ilham Aliyev to attend OIC summit on Jerusalem issue
- 08.12.2017President Aliyev appoints Azerbaijan’s honorary consul to Djibouti
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan appoints new ambassador to Croatia
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan recalls ambassador from Tajikistan
- 13.10.2017US, Azerbaijan enjoy strong partnership in field of security, diplomat says
- 13.10.2017EU urges dialogue between Azerbaijan and PACE
- 13.10.2017EU says new deal with Azerbaijan should be worked out properly
- 13.10.2017Bulgarian president pays respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev and Azerbaijani heroes
- 13.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Bulgaria is a very important partner for Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 13.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents to meet in Geneva on Oct. 16