President Rumen Radev reaffirms Bulgaria’s support for realization of Southern Gas Corridor project
Bulgaria and Azerbaijan are two partners in terms of political, cultural and moral relations, Bulgarian President Rumen Radev, who is on a visit to Baku, told a joint press conference with Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev on Friday, APA reported.
The Bulgarian leader said that at a meeting with President Aliyev they stressed the importance of bilateral cooperation in order to deepen the mutual cooperation.
“We have taken genuine steps into realizing the foundation existing within the frame of the Joint Declaration on Strategic Cooperation which were signed two years ago in order to open the opportunity for cooperation in all areas of mutual interest, including energy, transport, culture, education, tourism, commodity exchange, etc. The fact that we have taken concrete steps is of huge importance because we have great opportunities for further development of our political relations,” said Rumen Radev.
The Bulgarian leader underlined that the volume of trade turnover between the two countries is not satisfactory.
“We can achieve better results. The good news is that the Azerbaijani leadership is ready to open the first flight between Sofia and Baku on January 1 next year, an event that coincides with Bulgaria’s EU Presidency. In this regard, Bulgaria reaffirms its support for Azerbaijan,” he added.
President Radev noted that Bulgaria can contribute to the development of agriculture, in use of new technologies in agriculture, in particular in processing industry, as well as the development of pharmaceutical production in Azerbaijan.
“Thanks to its high technological capabilities in the energy sector, Azerbaijan stands ready to actively cooperation with Bulgaria’s relevant bodies in gasification household sector in our country, as well as the development of a network of filling stations in Bulgaria,” he said.
“Energy is an area that will connect us for many years,” President Radev said reaffirming Bulgaria’s support for the implementation of the Southern Gas Corridor project.
He underlined that Azerbaijan plays a crucial role in the implementation of the Southern Gas Corridor project for the development of sources and routes of gas supply, as well as its real diversification in Southern and Central Europe.
“We confirmed our mutual interest in the development of transport and gas corridors between Asia and Europe. Our countries occupy a strategic position in the region, and we must take a full advantage of this position,” he said.
The Bulgarian leader pointed out that the relations between the two countries in the sphere of culture, education and science have been developing intensively in recent years.
“I expressed my gratitude to President Aliyev for the implementation by the Heydar Aliyev Foundation of the project on the restoration of Trapezitsa fortress. We believe this is the beginning of fruitful cooperation in the field of education and culture,” he said.
As for the security sphere, Rumen Radev said he supports cooperation with Azerbaijan’s relevant bodies.
“I also want your students to study in our universities,” said the president, stressing that Bulgaria is the center of stability and independence not only in the Balkan Peninsula, but also in the Black Sea region.
“I hope that today’s meeting will be important for fruitful cooperation in all areas in the name of security and peace for our peoples,” President Radev added.
Related news releases
- 17.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Chinese counterpart on re-election as President
- 17.03.2018Two panels held on third day of 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018China’s foreign policy mulled at 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani, Jordanian FMs exchange letters marking 25th anniversary of diplomatic ties
- 16.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives president of Paraguayan Senate - UPDATED
- 16.03.2018Security in the Balkans discussed at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Moldova nearing solution to Transnistrian conflict: President Dodon
- 16.03.2018Gennady Burbulis: I hope Azerbaijan, Armenia will come to agreement
- 16.03.2018Ex-PM Lagumdzija: Azerbaijani president’s visit to Bosnia and Herzegovina to open new page for co-op in many areas
- 16.03.2018Moldovan president: Geopolitical competition on the rise worldwide
- 16.03.2018South-West transport corridor project has great future, says Azerbaijani FM
- 16.03.2018Albania stands by Azerbaijan in Karabakh conflict – president
- 16.03.2018Situation in Middle East discussed at 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Turkish MFA: Zurich protocols benefited Armenia more than Turkey
- 16.03.2018Albania, Azerbaijan enjoy good relations: ex-president
- 16.03.2018Some states testing new weapons in Syria, ex-Lebanese PM claims
- 16.03.2018Working group set up to bring Azerbaijani citizens back from Iraq
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani FM stresses need for reforms in UN
- 16.03.2018Turkish MP’s health deteriorates during speech at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Lebanon’s ex-PM: Unresolved Palestinian conflict lies at root of developments in region
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Iranian FM - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018US Ambassador to Azerbaijan Cekuta to leave his position in late March
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with member of Bosnia and Herzegovina Presidency - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev presents “Dostlug” Order to UNESCO goodwill ambassador
- 15.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets president of Marianna V. Vardinoyannis Foundation
- 15.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets Italian Senate's VP
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Albanian counterpart - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018Ilham Aliyev sends congratulatory letter to Angela Merkel
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijan’s First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets with Turkish PM
- 15.03.2018Respect for int’l law will further strengthen respect for territorial integrity of countries: Iranian FM
- 15.03.2018Former US envoy to UN: Conflicts around the world will increase
- 15.03.2018Georgia to host next meeting of Azerbaijani, Georgian, Iranian and Turkish FMs
- 15.03.2018Existing opportunities should be utilized to bridge Asia with Europe, says Georgian FM
- 15.03.2018Turkey says quadrilateral co-op format with Azerbaijan, Iran, Georgia to contribute to peace and stability
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish, Iranian, Georgian FMs hail new format of quadrilateral cooperation
- 15.03.2018Baku Declaration adopted at meeting of Azerbaijani, Turkish, Iranian, Georgian FMs
- 15.03.2018Deputy PM: TAP is an important project for Bosnia and Herzegovina
- 15.03.2018PM Yildirim: Turkey, Azerbaijan and Georgia take serious steps to ensure regional security
- 15.03.2018Meeting of Azerbaijani, Turkish, Iranian, Georgian FMs kicks off in Baku
- 15.03.2018PACE to send 33-member delegation to Azerbaijan for election observation
- 13.10.2017US, Azerbaijan enjoy strong partnership in field of security, diplomat says
- 13.10.2017EU urges dialogue between Azerbaijan and PACE
- 13.10.2017EU says new deal with Azerbaijan should be worked out properly
- 13.10.2017Bulgarian president pays respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev and Azerbaijani heroes
- 13.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Bulgaria is a very important partner for Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 13.10.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian presidents to meet in Geneva on Oct. 16