Ilham Aliyev: British companies have become more interested in Azerbaijan’s non-oil sector - UPDATED
President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev received the United Kingdom’s Permanent Under Secretary and Head of the Diplomatic Service at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Simon McDonald on Monday.
President Ilham Aliyev said Simon McDonald’s visit to Azerbaijan created a good opportunity for discussing cooperation and regional issues between the two countries.
The head of state said the agenda of cooperation issues is very comprehensive, pointing out the expansion of the bilateral relations. President Aliyev said the two countries enjoy very good relations in energy area, adding that Azerbaijan-BP cooperation spans over 25 years.
Ilham Aliyev described BP as the main strategic partner of Azerbaijan in the field of energy, expressing his confidence that this cooperation will successfully continue.
He said British companies have become more interested in Azerbaijan’s non-oil sector recently, adding that this is in line with Azerbaijan’s economic diversification policy and will enhance business relations between the two countries.
Simon McDonald said this is his first visit to Azerbaijan. He hailed Baku as a modern city, saying he is deeply impressed with the new architectural samples. McDonald said he will familiarize himself with the world famous Heydar Aliyev Center. He said a lot of British companies invest in Azerbaijan under agreements signed between the two countries.
The reforms carried out in Azerbaijan in recent years, attention to education, measures to reduce unemployment and poverty and address social issues in Azerbaijan were highlighted at the meeting. They discussed the impact of the fall in oil prices on the speed-up of diversification, Azerbaijan’s international standing and the country’s rating by international organizations.
Related news releases
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani president: “Need to give dynamism to the relations between Azerbaijan and Moldova”
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijan provides aid to four countries stricken by famine threat
- 22.06.2017Moldovan president visits Alley of Martyrs in Baku
- 22.06.2017Moldovan president pays respect to Azerbaijan's national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 22.06.2017Igor Dodon: Wide range of issues discussed at meeting with Azerbaijani president
- 22.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Moldova have good potential for trade and economic cooperation
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani president hosts official dinner reception in honor of Moldovan counterpart
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani, Moldovan presidents make press statements
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani, Moldovan presidents hold expanded meeting
- 22.06.2017PACE co-rapporteurs issue statement after their visit to Azerbaijan
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani, Moldovan presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 22.06.2017Official welcoming ceremony held for Moldovan president
- 21.06.2017Moldovan president arrives in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 21.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives former French PM - UPDATED
- 20.06.2017Azerbaijani president offers condolences over former German chancellor's death - UPDATED
- 19.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by Lao foreign minister - UPDATED
- 19.06.2017Ali Hasanov: European Parliament resolution on Azerbaijan is unfair
- 19.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives OSCE MG co-chairs
- 17.06.2017Azerbaijani president offers condolence over Helmut Kohl’s death
- 17.06.2017Robert Cekuta: Diversity of Azerbaijan’s religious communities is source of strength
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan confirms its composition of joint intergovernmental commission with Israel
- 16.06.2017Hassan Rouhani sends congratulatory letter to Ilham Aliyev
- 16.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Colombian FM - UPDATED
- 16.06.2017Parl’t deputy speaker: European Parliament’s anti-Azerbaijani resolution causes regret
- 16.06.2017EU says relations with Azerbaijan entered ‘a new stage’
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijani President: Azerbaijan is ready to make efforts to expand the bilateral ties with the EU
- 16.06.2017Colombian FM in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 15.06.2017Johannes Hahn: Southern Gas Corridor is a strategic project for EU - INTERVIEW
- 15.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives IPU secretary general - UPDATED
- 14.06.2017Elmar Mammadyarov receives EU representatives
- 14.06.2017PACE co-rapporteur received at Ombudsman’s Office
- 14.06.2017EU says Baku talks on new agreement with Azerbaijan were successful
- 14.06.2017Program of Moldovan president’s Azerbaijan visit announced - UPDATED-1
- 14.06.2017Parl’t deputy speaker: No tension in Azerbaijan-Russia relations
- 13.06.2017Azerbaijani president receives delegation led by Bulgarian prosecutor general - UPDATED
- 13.06.2017Palestinian envoy: Azerbaijan at forefront of efforts to address many challenges
- 13.06.2017Azerbaijani president: Muslim countries should solve problems among themselves peacefully
- 13.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan enjoys very close ties with Muslim countries
- 13.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives ambassadors of Muslim countries in Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives co-rapporteurs of PACE Monitoring Committee
- 06.03.2017FM: Azerbaijani people concerned over growing trend of Islamophobia in West
- 06.03.2017UK says no major changes expected in relations with South Caucasus countries after Brexit
- 06.03.2017Azerbaijani FM: Many key issues related to Caspian Sea’s status agreed upon
- 06.03.2017Tehran says not satisfied with level of Iran-Azerbaijan economic ties
- 06.03.2017Azerbaijani, Russian FMs meet in Moscow
- 06.03.2017Exhibition devoted to 25th anniversary of Azerbaijan-Russia diplomatic ties opens in Moscow