Ilham Aliyev: British companies have become more interested in Azerbaijan’s non-oil sector - UPDATED
President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev received the United Kingdom’s Permanent Under Secretary and Head of the Diplomatic Service at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Simon McDonald on Monday.
President Ilham Aliyev said Simon McDonald’s visit to Azerbaijan created a good opportunity for discussing cooperation and regional issues between the two countries.
The head of state said the agenda of cooperation issues is very comprehensive, pointing out the expansion of the bilateral relations. President Aliyev said the two countries enjoy very good relations in energy area, adding that Azerbaijan-BP cooperation spans over 25 years.
Ilham Aliyev described BP as the main strategic partner of Azerbaijan in the field of energy, expressing his confidence that this cooperation will successfully continue.
He said British companies have become more interested in Azerbaijan’s non-oil sector recently, adding that this is in line with Azerbaijan’s economic diversification policy and will enhance business relations between the two countries.
Simon McDonald said this is his first visit to Azerbaijan. He hailed Baku as a modern city, saying he is deeply impressed with the new architectural samples. McDonald said he will familiarize himself with the world famous Heydar Aliyev Center. He said a lot of British companies invest in Azerbaijan under agreements signed between the two countries.
The reforms carried out in Azerbaijan in recent years, attention to education, measures to reduce unemployment and poverty and address social issues in Azerbaijan were highlighted at the meeting. They discussed the impact of the fall in oil prices on the speed-up of diversification, Azerbaijan’s international standing and the country’s rating by international organizations.
Related news releases
- 23.05.2018Stefan Schennach: Samad Seyidov has to be replaced in PACE June session
- 23.05.2018Turkmen, Ukrainian leaders congratulate Azerbaijani president
- 23.05.2018Turkey’s Erdogan congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 23.05.2018Russian PM congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 23.05.2018Georgian gov’t won’t oppose public opinion and agree to open alternative route to Armenia – political analyst
- 23.05.2018Mayor of Las Vegas signs proclamation on 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 22.05.2018EU, Azerbaijan to hold talks on new agreement in late May
- 22.05.2018King of Saudi Arabia congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 22.05.2018Queen Elizabeth II congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 22.05.2018Leaders of some countries congratulate Azerbaijani president
- 22.05.2018Serbian president ends official visit to Azerbaijan
- 22.05.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry holds expanded meeting
- 22.05.2018George Tsereteli: No decision on OSCE PA’s special rep. for South Caucasus
- 22.05.2018OSCE PA President: Enough resources for constructive cooperation with Azerbaijan - INTERVIEW
- 22.05.2018California Governor congratulates Azerbaijan on 100th anniversary of ADR
- 21.05.2018Vucic: Serbia intends to develop co-op with Azerbaijan in all spheres
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Relations with Serbia of great importance to Azerbaijan
- 21.05.2018Aleksandar Vucic: Much remains to be done in Serbia in terms of Azerbaijan’s interests
- 21.05.2018President Vucic: Serbia is friendly country to Azerbaijan
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Serbia ties will continue to develop successfully
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani, Serbian presidents make press statements
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijan, Serbia ink several documents
- 21.05.2018Presidents of Azerbaijan, Serbia hold expanded meeting
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani, Serbian presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 21.05.2018Serbia’s Vucic officially welcomed in Baku
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Significant work done towards rapid reduction of unemployment - UPDATED
- 21.05.2018Serbian president arrives in Azerbaijan
- 21.05.2018Legal status of Caspian Sea to be discussed in Astana on May 21-24
- 19.05.2018Poroshenko signs decree on recalling Ukraine’s representatives from CIS statutory bodies
- 19.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov: "Azerbaijan remains ready to contribute to the just solution of the Palestinian issue"
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President meets with UNESCO Director General in Paris
- 18.05.2018Mehriban Aliyev attends conference on 80th birthday of Koïchiro Matsuura in Paris
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijani, Kyrgyz presidents hold phone talk
- 18.05.2018Baku to convey serious protest to Russian Foreign Ministry
- 16.05.2018Head of delegation: No one will accept such Council of Europe
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev sends congratulatory letter to King of Norway
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: I’ve been interrogated for 3 hours
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: Those who face sanctions in PACE are the ones who support Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 16.05.2018Head of delegation: Azerbaijan to continue activity in PACE
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: PACE decision – a manifestation of double standard attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 06.03.2017FM: Azerbaijani people concerned over growing trend of Islamophobia in West
- 06.03.2017UK says no major changes expected in relations with South Caucasus countries after Brexit
- 06.03.2017Azerbaijani FM: Many key issues related to Caspian Sea’s status agreed upon
- 06.03.2017Tehran says not satisfied with level of Iran-Azerbaijan economic ties
- 06.03.2017Azerbaijani, Russian FMs meet in Moscow
- 06.03.2017Exhibition devoted to 25th anniversary of Azerbaijan-Russia diplomatic ties opens in Moscow