Ilham Aliyev: British companies have become more interested in Azerbaijan’s non-oil sector - UPDATED
President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev received the United Kingdom’s Permanent Under Secretary and Head of the Diplomatic Service at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office Simon McDonald on Monday.
President Ilham Aliyev said Simon McDonald’s visit to Azerbaijan created a good opportunity for discussing cooperation and regional issues between the two countries.
The head of state said the agenda of cooperation issues is very comprehensive, pointing out the expansion of the bilateral relations. President Aliyev said the two countries enjoy very good relations in energy area, adding that Azerbaijan-BP cooperation spans over 25 years.
Ilham Aliyev described BP as the main strategic partner of Azerbaijan in the field of energy, expressing his confidence that this cooperation will successfully continue.
He said British companies have become more interested in Azerbaijan’s non-oil sector recently, adding that this is in line with Azerbaijan’s economic diversification policy and will enhance business relations between the two countries.
Simon McDonald said this is his first visit to Azerbaijan. He hailed Baku as a modern city, saying he is deeply impressed with the new architectural samples. McDonald said he will familiarize himself with the world famous Heydar Aliyev Center. He said a lot of British companies invest in Azerbaijan under agreements signed between the two countries.
The reforms carried out in Azerbaijan in recent years, attention to education, measures to reduce unemployment and poverty and address social issues in Azerbaijan were highlighted at the meeting. They discussed the impact of the fall in oil prices on the speed-up of diversification, Azerbaijan’s international standing and the country’s rating by international organizations.
Related news releases
- 23.10.2017Azerbaijani FM Mammadyarov leaves for Italy
- 21.10.2017Pan-African Parliament’s President to visit Azerbaijan
- 20.10.2017Kubiv: Positivity in Kiev-Baku relations bothers some inside and outside of Ukraine
- 20.10.2017Austrian ambassador: Azerbaijan and Armenia can not be forced into one way of solution - INTERVIEW
- 20.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s external debt less than 20% of GDP - UPDATED
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani president ends visit to Turkey
- 20.10.2017MP Samad Seyidov criticizes Ukrainian colleagues for voting against Azerbaijan at PACE
- 20.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends D8 Summit in Istanbul
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani President met with Iranian First Vice President in Istanbul
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani president arrives in Turkey
- 19.10.2017Moscow: Main articles of convention on Caspian Sea status agreed
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani FM receives delegation of Cooperation Council for Arab States of Gulf
- 19.10.2017Baku to host next round of talks on new EU-Azerbaijan deal
- 19.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives first vice PM of Ukraine
- 18.10.2017Luxembourgian delegation says the anti-Azerbaijani campaign 'unfair'
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijani president receives CIS Frontier Troops’ Commanders
- 18.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Polish FM - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation of Cooperation Council for Arab States of Gulf - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijani, Polish FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan hails Poland’s unequivocal stance on principle of territorial integrity
- 18.10.2017Polish FM: Azerbaijan is an energy supplier to Eastern Europe
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan sees co-op with EU as one of its foreign policy priorities
- 18.10.2017Portugal's interior minister resigns after deadly wildfires
- 18.10.2017FM Mammadyarov: Armenian president’s irresponsibly going beyond joint statement ‘not right’
- 18.10.2017EU: Human trafficking victims are mostly migrants, children and women
- 17.10.2017Mahmoud Abbas congratulates President Aliyev
- 17.10.2017Saudi King congratulates President Aliyev
- 17.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Greek ambassador
- 17.10.2017Ambassador: US singles out three main directions for implementing economic reforms
- 17.10.2017US assistance to Azerbaijan over past 25 years exceed $1.3 bln – Ambassador Cekuta
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan seeks to join one of geopolitical groups within Inter-parliamentary Union
- 16.10.2017OPINION: Russia continues to supply modern weapons to occupant Armenia
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani president ends visit to Switzerland
- 16.10.2017Meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents took place in constructive atmosphere - STATEMENT
- 16.10.2017A Ban to Shackling for Mentally Disabled People in Ghana
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan is an important country for U.S. – Ambassador Cekuta
- 14.10.2017Bulgarian president ends visit to Azerbaijan
- 13.10.2017EU says new deal with Azerbaijan should be worked out properly
- 13.10.2017EU urges dialogue between Azerbaijan and PACE
- 13.10.2017US, Azerbaijan enjoy strong partnership in field of security, diplomat says
- 06.03.2017FM: Azerbaijani people concerned over growing trend of Islamophobia in West
- 06.03.2017UK says no major changes expected in relations with South Caucasus countries after Brexit
- 06.03.2017Azerbaijani FM: Many key issues related to Caspian Sea’s status agreed upon
- 06.03.2017Tehran says not satisfied with level of Iran-Azerbaijan economic ties
- 06.03.2017Azerbaijani, Russian FMs meet in Moscow
- 06.03.2017Exhibition devoted to 25th anniversary of Azerbaijan-Russia diplomatic ties opens in Moscow