Ilham Aliyev: Recognition of Khojaly genocide by ten countries important for brining its perpetrators to justice - UPDATED
President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev has today received a delegation led by Minister for Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of the Republic of Djibouti Mahmoud Ali Youssouf.
Hailing cooperation and partnership between Azerbaijan and Djibouti, the head of state expressed his gratitude for the Djibouti Parliament’s decision to recognize the Khojaly genocide, and described it as an important sign of brotherly relations between the two countries and support for Azerbaijan.
Emphasizing that more than ten countries have already recognized the Khojaly genocide, President Aliyev said it is important in terms of spreading the historical truth and bringing the perpetrators of this terrible crime to justice.
The head of state said Azerbaijan and Djibouti successfully cooperate within the UN and other international organizations, adding the two countries have always supported each other in discussion of important issues. Noting that strong political relations between the two countries pave the way for the development of economic cooperation, Ilham Aliyev pointed out practical development of the bilateral cooperation. The head of state underlined that there are very good prospects for cooperation between the two countries in the fields of transport and cargo shipment, and stressed the significance of reciprocal visits and contacts in this regard. President Ilham Aliyev expressed hope that the visit of Mahmoud Ali Youssouf to Azerbaijan will be successful and fruitful and contribute to strengthening relations between the two countries even further.
Minister Ali Youssouf handed a letter of President of Djibouti Ismail Omar Guelleh to President Ilham Aliyev.
The minister noted that he is happy to receive brotherly welcome in a beautiful city as Baku. Saying that there are many similarities between Azerbaijan and Djibouti, Mahmoud Ali Youssouf noted that both countries are situated in volatile regions. Noting that a part of Azerbaijan’s territory was occupied, the FM said they closely follow the ongoing processes to find a peaceful solution to the conflict and stressed the importance of diplomatic achievements in this sphere gained at an international level. Touching upon Djibouti’s membership of the UN Security Council in 1993, Mahmoud Ali Youssouf said his country then urged the international community to condemn the aggression of Armenia against Azerbaijan and took a tough stance on this issue. He also recalled that the UN Security Council adopted four resolutions condemning the occupation. Hailing Azerbaijan’s becoming a strong country, the Minister for Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of the Republic of Djibouti said Azerbaijan took a fair position, and therefore is supported by the international community.
They exchanged views over the development of cooperation between Azerbaijan and Djibouti in various areas.
Related news releases
- 26.03.2017Denmark supports Azerbaijan's territorial integrity - envoy
- 23.03.2017Pakistan, Azerbaijan enjoy excellent bilateral ties – envoy
- 23.03.2017Azerbaijan strongly condemns London terror attack
- 22.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates his counterpart Mamnoon Hussain on Pakistan Day
- 18.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan submitted draft agreement to European Commission
- 18.03.2017Man shot after attack at Paris Orly airport
- 18.03.2017Azerbaijani President congratulates his Tunisian counterpart
- 18.03.2017Mevlut Cavusoglu: Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway project to be launched in two months
- 18.03.2017Nowruz festivities held in Washington
- 17.03.2017Mehriban Aliyeva meet with delgation headed by Iranian Minister
- 17.03.2017Ilham Aliyev meets chairman of Bosnia and Herzegovina Presidency - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Saudi prince - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017Fifth Global Baku Forum underway
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani president’s messages to French society and president: - OPINION
- 17.03.2017Ilham Aliyev receives Iran’s ICT minister - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry's ex-official
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry summons Greek ambassador
- 17.03.2017Baku Forum features session on future of Europe
- 17.03.2017Slovenia’s ex-president calls for reconsideration of Eastern Partnership principles
- 17.03.2017China’s role in int’l relations highlighted at Baku forum
- 17.03.2017Albania fully supports Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity, says president
- 17.03.2017Baku hosts senior officials’ meeting of Istanbul Process
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijan, France celebrate 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations
- 16.03.2017Kemaleddin Heydarov meets Iran’s ICT minister
- 16.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev praises close co-op between Azerbaijan, Georgia - UPDATED
- 16.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets Albanian counterpart
- 16.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets Latvian counterpart - UPDATED
- 16.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets Montenegrin counterpart
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijan's First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets Macedonian first lady
- 16.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets Macedonian counterpart
- 16.03.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets UNESCO Goodwill Ambassador Marianna Vardinoyannis
- 16.03.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets former Latvian president
- 16.03.2017Bulgaria’s ex-president: Solution to int’l conflicts is not dependent on conflict parties only
- 16.03.2017Latvia, Azerbaijan enjoy very good relations – President Vejonis
- 16.03.2017Ex-Bulgarian president urges Armenia to fulfill UN resolutions on Nagorno-Karabakh
- 16.03.2017Latvian president: Political will needed to resolve all conflicts
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijan turned into a host of int’l events: ex-Polish president
- 16.03.2017Saudi prince urges implementation of resolutions on Palestine, Nagorno-Karabakh
- 16.03.2017No alternative to European integration for Albania, president says
- 16.03.2017Baku – right place for holding int’l forums
- 24.02.2017Russia interested in independent, strong Azerbaijan, says diplomat
- 26.02.2017Azerbaijan, Turkish presidents hold phone talk
- 26.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with chairman of Al Faisal Holding and Qatari Businessmen Association in Doha
- 24.02.2017Terrorism, radicalism – a major threat to security: OSCE PA vice-president
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijani FM says he’s not optimistic about Karabakh talks
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijan’s influence increasing on international arena: Djibouti’s minister