Ilham Aliyev: Recognition of Khojaly genocide by ten countries important for brining its perpetrators to justice - UPDATED
President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev has today received a delegation led by Minister for Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of the Republic of Djibouti Mahmoud Ali Youssouf.
Hailing cooperation and partnership between Azerbaijan and Djibouti, the head of state expressed his gratitude for the Djibouti Parliament’s decision to recognize the Khojaly genocide, and described it as an important sign of brotherly relations between the two countries and support for Azerbaijan.
Emphasizing that more than ten countries have already recognized the Khojaly genocide, President Aliyev said it is important in terms of spreading the historical truth and bringing the perpetrators of this terrible crime to justice.
The head of state said Azerbaijan and Djibouti successfully cooperate within the UN and other international organizations, adding the two countries have always supported each other in discussion of important issues. Noting that strong political relations between the two countries pave the way for the development of economic cooperation, Ilham Aliyev pointed out practical development of the bilateral cooperation. The head of state underlined that there are very good prospects for cooperation between the two countries in the fields of transport and cargo shipment, and stressed the significance of reciprocal visits and contacts in this regard. President Ilham Aliyev expressed hope that the visit of Mahmoud Ali Youssouf to Azerbaijan will be successful and fruitful and contribute to strengthening relations between the two countries even further.
Minister Ali Youssouf handed a letter of President of Djibouti Ismail Omar Guelleh to President Ilham Aliyev.
The minister noted that he is happy to receive brotherly welcome in a beautiful city as Baku. Saying that there are many similarities between Azerbaijan and Djibouti, Mahmoud Ali Youssouf noted that both countries are situated in volatile regions. Noting that a part of Azerbaijan’s territory was occupied, the FM said they closely follow the ongoing processes to find a peaceful solution to the conflict and stressed the importance of diplomatic achievements in this sphere gained at an international level. Touching upon Djibouti’s membership of the UN Security Council in 1993, Mahmoud Ali Youssouf said his country then urged the international community to condemn the aggression of Armenia against Azerbaijan and took a tough stance on this issue. He also recalled that the UN Security Council adopted four resolutions condemning the occupation. Hailing Azerbaijan’s becoming a strong country, the Minister for Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of the Republic of Djibouti said Azerbaijan took a fair position, and therefore is supported by the international community.
They exchanged views over the development of cooperation between Azerbaijan and Djibouti in various areas.
Related news releases
- 23.05.2017Azerbaijan checking if its citizens among Manchester blast victims
- 22.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives UAE delegation - UPDATED
- 22.05.2017Azerbaijani FM briefs European Parliament delegation on settlement process of Karabakh conflict
- 22.05.2017BSEC summit ends with adoption of Istanbul Declaration
- 22.05.2017Erdogan: Some were suspicious that BSEC could continue to exist long
- 22.05.2017MP: Azerbaijan supports organizing peace platform between Armenia, Azerbaijan at European Parliament
- 22.05.2017Romanian investors seeking to expand relations with Azerbaijan, says envoy
- 22.05.2017European Parliament committee chair says Azerbaijan is a valuable partner for Europe
- 22.05.2017BSEC summit: Erdogan sharply reacts to Armenian deputy FM’s anti-Azerbaijani remarks
- 22.05.2017Parl’t speaker: Armenia violates regional security, stability by continuing occupation of Azerbaijani territories
- 22.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives European Parliament delegation
- 22.05.2017BSEC summit kicks off in Istanbul - UPDATED
- 22.05.2017Azerbaijani president meets crown prince of Abu Dhabi
- 21.05.2017Riyadh hosted Arab Islamic American Summit president Ilham Aliyev attended the event - UPDATED
- 21.05.2017Azerbaijan Defense Minister starts official visit to Georgia
- 21.05.2017Azerbaijani president visits Saudi Arabia
- 20.05.2017Azerbaijani president congratulates Iranian president
- 20.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament speaker to visit Turkey
- 19.05.2017Ambassador: Hungary has strongest relations with Azerbaijan among South Caucasus countries
- 19.05.2017UAE foreign minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2017USAID representative: $1.3 billion financial aid allocated for Azerbaijan over last 25 years
- 18.05.2017USAID representative: We’ll continue to deepen our cooperation with Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2017Azerbaijan says hopes for proper consideration of VAK appeal
- 18.05.2017European Parliament delegation due in Azerbaijan
- 18.05.2017UN official to visit Azerbaijan
- 17.05.2017Ilham Aliyev receives ex-president of Dutch Senate - UPDATED
- 17.05.2017Karasin: Russia seeks Caspian Sea to be an example of cooperation, not confrontation
- 17.05.2017Azerbaijan to attend CoE Committee of Ministers meeting in Cyprus
- 16.05.2017Chairperson of Kuwaiti Cabinet Committee on Women's Affairs awarded honorary diploma of Azerbaijani President
- 16.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives executive vice chairman of Conference of Presidents of Major American Jewish Organizations
- 16.05.2017Baku says VAK liquidation can negatively affect Russia’s mediatory role in Karabakh settlement
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani parliament speaker, Russian State Duma chairman to discuss VAK liquidation
- 16.05.2017FM: Italy will continue to support intensifying ties between Azerbaijan, EU
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani MP believes Russian court will change its decision on VAK liquidation
- 16.05.2017Bulgaria has always supported Southern Gas Corridor project, says energy minister
- 15.05.2017Azerbaijan invited to summit in Saudi Arabia that will be attended by Trump
- 14.05.2017Mammadyarov: “In diplomacy negotiations for the sake of negotiations do not exist”
- 12.05.2017Azerbaijan’s Russian community urges efforts to prevent AAC liquidation
- 11.05.2017UNWTO Secretary-General awarded “Dostluq” (Friendship) Order of Azerbaijan
- 11.05.2017Jordan says Azerbaijan stands out with its ‘decisive position’ in fight against int’l terrorism
- 24.02.2017Russia interested in independent, strong Azerbaijan, says diplomat
- 26.02.2017Azerbaijan, Turkish presidents hold phone talk
- 26.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with chairman of Al Faisal Holding and Qatari Businessmen Association in Doha
- 24.02.2017Terrorism, radicalism – a major threat to security: OSCE PA vice-president
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijani FM says he’s not optimistic about Karabakh talks
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijan’s influence increasing on international arena: Djibouti’s minister