President Ilham Aliyev met with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani in Astana - UPDATED
President Ilham Aliyev congratulated Hassan Rouhani on his re-election as President of the Islamic Republic of Iran. The head of state described Hassan Rouhani`s re-election as manifestation of the Iranian people`s support for his policy. “As a friendly country we are happy for Iran`s success.”
President Ilham Aliyev recalled his numerous meetings with the Iranian President, saying they have held fruitful discussions. Pointing out successful execution of the documents signed by the two countries, the head of state expressed his confidence that Azerbaijan-Iran friendship will continue to strengthen.
President Hassan Rouhani hailed successful development of the bilateral ties between Azerbaijan and Iran. “We should unite efforts in order to successfully achieve our goals of developing the bilateral relations.” The Iranian President said the country`s newly-elected government is also committed to developing the friendly ties with Azerbaijan.
Highlighting successful implementation of joint projects, President Hassan Rouhani singled out the railway project. He said the railway project is of crucial importance in terms of international cooperation. Pointing at the significance of the North-South transport corridor, President Hassan Rouhani said Azerbaijan-Iran-Russia trilateral cooperation is of vital importance for regional and international cooperation. He said the next trilateral summit of the Azerbaijani, Iranian and Russian heads of state will be held in Tehran, and invited President Ilham Aliyev to the event.
The Iranian President hailed prospects for energy cooperation with Azerbaijan. “I believe that by coordinating our efforts on the status of the Caspian Sea we can reach agreement in the near future.”
President Hassan Rouhani said Iran implements huge projects in partnership with other countries. “Iran welcomes Azerbaijan`s involvement and investment in these projects.” He said there are good opportunities for expanding Azerbaijan-Iran economic and trade relations and cooperation in the field of science.
President Hassan Rouhani said terrorism poses a serious threat to regional peace and stability, expressing Iran`s interest in speeding up joint efforts with Azerbaijan in fight against international terrorism.
President Ilham Aliyev accepted the Iranian President`s invitation to the next trilateral summit of the Azerbaijani, Iranian and Russian heads of state to be held in Tehran, and thanked Hassan Rouhani for the invitation. The Azerbaijani President agreed with his Iranian counterpart`s views. The head of state underlined the significance of the first trilateral meeting, which had been held in Baku, adding that Azerbaijan actively contributes to this cooperation.
On the North-South project, President Ilham Aliyev said Azerbaijan is its active participant. The head of state stressed the importance of the joint railway project, expressing his hope that construction of the railway will soon be completed.
President Ilham Aliyev hailed successful cooperation between Azerbaijan and Iran in economic area. The head of state noted the importance of construction of Ordubad hydroelectric power station, Iran Khodro automobile plant and a pharmaceutical plant in Azerbaijan in terms of the expansion of the bilateral economic cooperation. President Ilham Aliyev pointed out good opportunities for Iran`s making investment in Azerbaijan and for cooperation in this area. The President of Azerbaijan emphasized the necessity of increasing mutual trade and speeding up efforts in the field of investment making.
On the threats posed by terrorism to the region, the head of state said Azerbaijan attaches great importance to fight against international terrorism and cooperation in this area.
President Ilham Aliyev invited the Iranian President to visit Azerbaijan at his convenience.
President Hassan Rouhani thanked for the invitation.
Related news releases
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijani foreign minister attends GUAM-Japan ministerial meeting
- 22.09.2017Armenian MPs to go sightseeing in Baku
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijani deputy education minister blames Armenian MP for making false remarks at Baku conference
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijan calls on EU to display ‘decisive stance’ against Armenia
- 22.09.2017GUAM countries interested in development of mutually beneficial co-op with US
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijan says energy co-op with EU has reached level of strategic partnership
- 22.09.2017NATO Secretary General's Special Representative to visit Azerbaijan
- 21.09.2017Armenian MPs to attend Euronest PA conference in Baku
- 21.09.2017Turkic Council foreign ministers meet in New York
- 21.09.2017Work underway to bring home Azerbaijani children found in territories freed from ISIL
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijan preparing for Eastern Partnership summit: deputy FM
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijan says ‘no serious progress’ in talks with WTO
- 21.09.2017EU-Azerbaijan subcommittee on trade to hold meeting in Brussels
- 21.09.2017New Azerbaijan-EU deal unlikely to be signed by year-end – deputy FM
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijan, EU to mull new partnership priorities in late September
- 21.09.2017Tehran to host discussions on Caspian Sea’s legal status
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijani FM: Non-Aligned Movement plays crucial role in maintaining int’l peace
- 20.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres in New York
- 20.09.2017President: Since 2004, Azerbaijan’s economy has grown more than threefold
- 20.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan plays important role on global energy market
- 20.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Development of democracy, human rights protection among Azerbaijan’s top priorities
- 20.09.2017Chairman of EU Political and Security Committee to visit Azerbaijan
- 20.09.2017Jankauskas announces date of next round of EU-Azerbaijan talks on new deal - UPDATED
- 20.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev to address UN General Assembly
- 20.09.2017FM: Azerbaijan supports lasting solution to Israeli-Palestinian conflict
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijani President attends state banquet at UN headquarters
- 20.09.2017Benjamin Netanyahu: “Israel expanded corporation with Azerbaijan" - VIDEO
- 19.09.2017China, Azerbaijan consider education a priority area – ambassador
- 19.09.2017PACE co-rapporteurs make statement following their visit to Azerbaijan
- 19.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with representatives of American Jewish organizations in New York
- 18.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets with chairman of Foundation for Ethnic Understanding in New York
- 17.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in the United States for visit
- 15.09.2017First Vice President Mehriban Aliyeva meets with French Minister of State attached to Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Mexican counterpart
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan checking if its citizens among London underground attack victims
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijani FM meets Lao president
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets French Secretary of State to Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs
- 14.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives PACE co-rapporteurs - UPDATED
- 14.09.2017Moscow hosts int’l conference on Azerbaijan-Russia relations - UPDATED
- 14.09.2017UK hails Azerbaijan’s clear stance on counterterrorism
- 11.09.2017Azerbaijan, S. Korea mark 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations
- 11.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by secretary of Vietnam Communist Party
- 11.09.2017Tehran: Summit of Iranian, Azerbaijani, Russian presidents to focus on discussion of regional, int’l issues
- 10.09.2017Azerbaijani President: We resolutely condemn massacre and mass violence against Muslims in Myanmar
- 10.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev: Armenia, which destroyed our holy mosques in Azerbaijan, cannot be a friend of Muslim countries
- 10.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev completed working visit to Kazakhstan