President Ilham Aliyev met with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani in Astana - UPDATED
President Ilham Aliyev congratulated Hassan Rouhani on his re-election as President of the Islamic Republic of Iran. The head of state described Hassan Rouhani`s re-election as manifestation of the Iranian people`s support for his policy. “As a friendly country we are happy for Iran`s success.”
President Ilham Aliyev recalled his numerous meetings with the Iranian President, saying they have held fruitful discussions. Pointing out successful execution of the documents signed by the two countries, the head of state expressed his confidence that Azerbaijan-Iran friendship will continue to strengthen.
President Hassan Rouhani hailed successful development of the bilateral ties between Azerbaijan and Iran. “We should unite efforts in order to successfully achieve our goals of developing the bilateral relations.” The Iranian President said the country`s newly-elected government is also committed to developing the friendly ties with Azerbaijan.
Highlighting successful implementation of joint projects, President Hassan Rouhani singled out the railway project. He said the railway project is of crucial importance in terms of international cooperation. Pointing at the significance of the North-South transport corridor, President Hassan Rouhani said Azerbaijan-Iran-Russia trilateral cooperation is of vital importance for regional and international cooperation. He said the next trilateral summit of the Azerbaijani, Iranian and Russian heads of state will be held in Tehran, and invited President Ilham Aliyev to the event.
The Iranian President hailed prospects for energy cooperation with Azerbaijan. “I believe that by coordinating our efforts on the status of the Caspian Sea we can reach agreement in the near future.”
President Hassan Rouhani said Iran implements huge projects in partnership with other countries. “Iran welcomes Azerbaijan`s involvement and investment in these projects.” He said there are good opportunities for expanding Azerbaijan-Iran economic and trade relations and cooperation in the field of science.
President Hassan Rouhani said terrorism poses a serious threat to regional peace and stability, expressing Iran`s interest in speeding up joint efforts with Azerbaijan in fight against international terrorism.
President Ilham Aliyev accepted the Iranian President`s invitation to the next trilateral summit of the Azerbaijani, Iranian and Russian heads of state to be held in Tehran, and thanked Hassan Rouhani for the invitation. The Azerbaijani President agreed with his Iranian counterpart`s views. The head of state underlined the significance of the first trilateral meeting, which had been held in Baku, adding that Azerbaijan actively contributes to this cooperation.
On the North-South project, President Ilham Aliyev said Azerbaijan is its active participant. The head of state stressed the importance of the joint railway project, expressing his hope that construction of the railway will soon be completed.
President Ilham Aliyev hailed successful cooperation between Azerbaijan and Iran in economic area. The head of state noted the importance of construction of Ordubad hydroelectric power station, Iran Khodro automobile plant and a pharmaceutical plant in Azerbaijan in terms of the expansion of the bilateral economic cooperation. President Ilham Aliyev pointed out good opportunities for Iran`s making investment in Azerbaijan and for cooperation in this area. The President of Azerbaijan emphasized the necessity of increasing mutual trade and speeding up efforts in the field of investment making.
On the threats posed by terrorism to the region, the head of state said Azerbaijan attaches great importance to fight against international terrorism and cooperation in this area.
President Ilham Aliyev invited the Iranian President to visit Azerbaijan at his convenience.
President Hassan Rouhani thanked for the invitation.
Related news releases
- 20.01.2018Working group on Caspian legal status to meet in February
- 20.01.2018Azerbaijan, Russia to install first border marks in February
- 20.01.2018Azerbaijan, Russia to discuss state border demarcation
- 19.01.2018PACE Sub-Committee on Conflicts to be reconstituted
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijani delegation to attend PACE winter session
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Uzbek counterpart
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijani president to address Davos Economic Forum
- 17.01.2018EU-Azerbaijan comprehensive agreement to be discussed at European Parliament
- 17.01.2018PUIC starts its 13th Session
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijani and French FMs met in Paris - UPDATED
- 16.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Turkey to continue to implement major projects this year - UPDATED
- 16.01.2018Bulgarian PM completes Azerbaijan visit
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev: Bulgaria and Azerbaijan will continue to cooperate successfully
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev has dinner with Bulgarian PM Boyko Borissov
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM make press statements
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with French counterpart
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM hold expanded meeting
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president holds one-on-one meeting with Bulgarian PM
- 15.01.2018Iran’s Rouhani to visit Baku late March
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan-Moldova intergovernmental commission on economic co-op to meet in first half of 2018
- 15.01.2018Russia says satisfied with strategic partnership with Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Iranian counterpart
- 13.01.2018Azerbaijan stands firmly next to Turkey on all regional issues – envoy
- 12.01.2018Kestutis Jankauskas: "Negotiations on the aviation agreement between Azerbaijan and the EU are almost completed"
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijani, Swiss presidents to meet in Davos
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijan highly values Italy’s willingness to take responsibility of chairing OSCE at challenging period
- 11.01.2018Azerbaijan joins Framework Agreement on Facilitation of Cross-border Paperless Trade in Asia and the Pacific
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev extends condolences over death Georgia’s first ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 09.01.2018Bulgarian president phones President Ilham Aliyev
- 08.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming ambassadors - UPDATED
- 08.01.2018NATO official comments on upcoming high-level meeting with Russia in Baku
- 05.01.2018Samad Seyidov comments on change in composition of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE
- 04.01.2018Patriarch Kirill sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 04.01.2018Staff of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE changed - UPDATED
- 03.01.2018Azerbaijan and EU to hold next round of negotiations in February
- 30.12.2017We hope that conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia will be resolved in 2018 – Iranian spokesman
- 30.12.2017Putin congratulates Azerbaijani president
- 29.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives letter from Georgian counterpart
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani MPs slam Georgia’s intention to provide Armenia with access to Russia
- 29.12.2017Ambassador: Azerbaijan-Georgia economic cooperation yet to reach its potential - INTERVIEW
- 11.09.2017Azerbaijan, S. Korea mark 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations
- 11.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by secretary of Vietnam Communist Party
- 11.09.2017Tehran: Summit of Iranian, Azerbaijani, Russian presidents to focus on discussion of regional, int’l issues
- 10.09.2017Azerbaijani President: We resolutely condemn massacre and mass violence against Muslims in Myanmar
- 10.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev: Armenia, which destroyed our holy mosques in Azerbaijan, cannot be a friend of Muslim countries
- 10.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev completed working visit to Kazakhstan