President Ilham Aliyev met with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani in Astana - UPDATED
President Ilham Aliyev congratulated Hassan Rouhani on his re-election as President of the Islamic Republic of Iran. The head of state described Hassan Rouhani`s re-election as manifestation of the Iranian people`s support for his policy. “As a friendly country we are happy for Iran`s success.”
President Ilham Aliyev recalled his numerous meetings with the Iranian President, saying they have held fruitful discussions. Pointing out successful execution of the documents signed by the two countries, the head of state expressed his confidence that Azerbaijan-Iran friendship will continue to strengthen.
President Hassan Rouhani hailed successful development of the bilateral ties between Azerbaijan and Iran. “We should unite efforts in order to successfully achieve our goals of developing the bilateral relations.” The Iranian President said the country`s newly-elected government is also committed to developing the friendly ties with Azerbaijan.
Highlighting successful implementation of joint projects, President Hassan Rouhani singled out the railway project. He said the railway project is of crucial importance in terms of international cooperation. Pointing at the significance of the North-South transport corridor, President Hassan Rouhani said Azerbaijan-Iran-Russia trilateral cooperation is of vital importance for regional and international cooperation. He said the next trilateral summit of the Azerbaijani, Iranian and Russian heads of state will be held in Tehran, and invited President Ilham Aliyev to the event.
The Iranian President hailed prospects for energy cooperation with Azerbaijan. “I believe that by coordinating our efforts on the status of the Caspian Sea we can reach agreement in the near future.”
President Hassan Rouhani said Iran implements huge projects in partnership with other countries. “Iran welcomes Azerbaijan`s involvement and investment in these projects.” He said there are good opportunities for expanding Azerbaijan-Iran economic and trade relations and cooperation in the field of science.
President Hassan Rouhani said terrorism poses a serious threat to regional peace and stability, expressing Iran`s interest in speeding up joint efforts with Azerbaijan in fight against international terrorism.
President Ilham Aliyev accepted the Iranian President`s invitation to the next trilateral summit of the Azerbaijani, Iranian and Russian heads of state to be held in Tehran, and thanked Hassan Rouhani for the invitation. The Azerbaijani President agreed with his Iranian counterpart`s views. The head of state underlined the significance of the first trilateral meeting, which had been held in Baku, adding that Azerbaijan actively contributes to this cooperation.
On the North-South project, President Ilham Aliyev said Azerbaijan is its active participant. The head of state stressed the importance of the joint railway project, expressing his hope that construction of the railway will soon be completed.
President Ilham Aliyev hailed successful cooperation between Azerbaijan and Iran in economic area. The head of state noted the importance of construction of Ordubad hydroelectric power station, Iran Khodro automobile plant and a pharmaceutical plant in Azerbaijan in terms of the expansion of the bilateral economic cooperation. President Ilham Aliyev pointed out good opportunities for Iran`s making investment in Azerbaijan and for cooperation in this area. The President of Azerbaijan emphasized the necessity of increasing mutual trade and speeding up efforts in the field of investment making.
On the threats posed by terrorism to the region, the head of state said Azerbaijan attaches great importance to fight against international terrorism and cooperation in this area.
President Ilham Aliyev invited the Iranian President to visit Azerbaijan at his convenience.
President Hassan Rouhani thanked for the invitation.
Related news releases
- 20.11.2017Top diplomats from Caspian states to meet in Moscow on December 4-5
- 20.11.2017New EU strategy puts emphasis on ties with neighboring countries – envoy
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, Russian FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 20.11.2017Baku to host meeting of Russia-Azerbaijan intergovernmental commission on military-technical co-op
- 20.11.2017Lavrov comments on possible creation of Azerbaijan-Turkey-Russia co-op format
- 20.11.2017Lavrov: ‘Menu’ on Karabakh conflict settlement on negotiating table
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, Pakistani, Turkish FMs to meet in Baku
- 20.11.2017Russia to host ministerial meeting on Caspian Sea legal status
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijan, Russia sign document on 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations
- 20.11.2017Russia would welcome Azerbaijan’s accession to Eurasian Economic Union, says Lavrov
- 20.11.2017Lavrov: Russia, Azerbaijan are strategic partners
- 19.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev received delegation led by Russian FM
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Latvian counterpart
- 17.11.2017Meeting of EU-Azerbaijan subcommittee on cooperation to take place in December
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM says talks on new agreement with EU can be finished next year
- 17.11.2017Booking.com restarts illegal hotel reservations in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 17.11.2017Deputy FM: We try Azerbaijan’s position to be reflected in EaP summit declaration
- 17.11.2017UNICEF regional director to visit Azerbaijan
- 17.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Uzbek deputy PM
- 16.11.2017U.S. actively works with Azerbaijan towards ensuring global energy security – ambassador
- 16.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Kazakh first deputy PM
- 16.11.2017Moscow: Lavrov to discuss bilateral relations in Baku
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE MG co-chairs in Moscow
- 16.11.2017Uzbek defense minister in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani, Brazilian FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates Borut Pahor on reelection as Slovenian president
- 15.11.2017UK ambassadors from regional countries to hold conference in Baku
- 15.11.2017Brazil’s position on violation of sovereignty in world based on long-term policy – FM
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan, Brazil agree to expand bilateral ties
- 15.11.2017FM: Brazil supports Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 15.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by Brazilian FM
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani president receives Moldovan interior minister - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017A reception is held in Paris in honor of the nomination of Baku as a candidate city for the exhibition "Ехpо 2025"
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani President sends congratulatory letter to Palestinian President
- 14.11.2017FM Mammadyarov receives governor of Egypt’s South Sinai
- 14.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: CoE secretary general’s activity caused artificial crisis with Azerbaijan
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani FM receives incoming Sudanese ambassador
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani FM to visit Moscow on Nov. 16
- 14.11.2017Brazilian FM to visit Azerbaijan
- 13.11.2017Azerbaijani FM receives outgoing ambassador of Bulgaria
- 11.09.2017Azerbaijan, S. Korea mark 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations
- 11.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by secretary of Vietnam Communist Party
- 11.09.2017Tehran: Summit of Iranian, Azerbaijani, Russian presidents to focus on discussion of regional, int’l issues
- 10.09.2017Azerbaijani President: We resolutely condemn massacre and mass violence against Muslims in Myanmar
- 10.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev: Armenia, which destroyed our holy mosques in Azerbaijan, cannot be a friend of Muslim countries
- 10.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev completed working visit to Kazakhstan