President Ilham Aliyev met with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani in Astana - UPDATED
President Ilham Aliyev congratulated Hassan Rouhani on his re-election as President of the Islamic Republic of Iran. The head of state described Hassan Rouhani`s re-election as manifestation of the Iranian people`s support for his policy. “As a friendly country we are happy for Iran`s success.”
President Ilham Aliyev recalled his numerous meetings with the Iranian President, saying they have held fruitful discussions. Pointing out successful execution of the documents signed by the two countries, the head of state expressed his confidence that Azerbaijan-Iran friendship will continue to strengthen.
President Hassan Rouhani hailed successful development of the bilateral ties between Azerbaijan and Iran. “We should unite efforts in order to successfully achieve our goals of developing the bilateral relations.” The Iranian President said the country`s newly-elected government is also committed to developing the friendly ties with Azerbaijan.
Highlighting successful implementation of joint projects, President Hassan Rouhani singled out the railway project. He said the railway project is of crucial importance in terms of international cooperation. Pointing at the significance of the North-South transport corridor, President Hassan Rouhani said Azerbaijan-Iran-Russia trilateral cooperation is of vital importance for regional and international cooperation. He said the next trilateral summit of the Azerbaijani, Iranian and Russian heads of state will be held in Tehran, and invited President Ilham Aliyev to the event.
The Iranian President hailed prospects for energy cooperation with Azerbaijan. “I believe that by coordinating our efforts on the status of the Caspian Sea we can reach agreement in the near future.”
President Hassan Rouhani said Iran implements huge projects in partnership with other countries. “Iran welcomes Azerbaijan`s involvement and investment in these projects.” He said there are good opportunities for expanding Azerbaijan-Iran economic and trade relations and cooperation in the field of science.
President Hassan Rouhani said terrorism poses a serious threat to regional peace and stability, expressing Iran`s interest in speeding up joint efforts with Azerbaijan in fight against international terrorism.
President Ilham Aliyev accepted the Iranian President`s invitation to the next trilateral summit of the Azerbaijani, Iranian and Russian heads of state to be held in Tehran, and thanked Hassan Rouhani for the invitation. The Azerbaijani President agreed with his Iranian counterpart`s views. The head of state underlined the significance of the first trilateral meeting, which had been held in Baku, adding that Azerbaijan actively contributes to this cooperation.
On the North-South project, President Ilham Aliyev said Azerbaijan is its active participant. The head of state stressed the importance of the joint railway project, expressing his hope that construction of the railway will soon be completed.
President Ilham Aliyev hailed successful cooperation between Azerbaijan and Iran in economic area. The head of state noted the importance of construction of Ordubad hydroelectric power station, Iran Khodro automobile plant and a pharmaceutical plant in Azerbaijan in terms of the expansion of the bilateral economic cooperation. President Ilham Aliyev pointed out good opportunities for Iran`s making investment in Azerbaijan and for cooperation in this area. The President of Azerbaijan emphasized the necessity of increasing mutual trade and speeding up efforts in the field of investment making.
On the threats posed by terrorism to the region, the head of state said Azerbaijan attaches great importance to fight against international terrorism and cooperation in this area.
President Ilham Aliyev invited the Iranian President to visit Azerbaijan at his convenience.
President Hassan Rouhani thanked for the invitation.
Related news releases
- 21.05.2018Vucic: Serbia intends to develop co-op with Azerbaijan in all spheres
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Relations with Serbia of great importance to Azerbaijan
- 21.05.2018Aleksandar Vucic: Much remains to be done in Serbia in terms of Azerbaijan’s interests
- 21.05.2018President Vucic: Serbia is friendly country to Azerbaijan
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Serbia ties will continue to develop successfully
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani, Serbian presidents make press statements
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijan, Serbia ink several documents
- 21.05.2018Presidents of Azerbaijan, Serbia hold expanded meeting
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani, Serbian presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 21.05.2018Serbia’s Vucic officially welcomed in Baku
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Significant work done towards rapid reduction of unemployment - UPDATED
- 21.05.2018Serbian president arrives in Azerbaijan
- 21.05.2018Legal status of Caspian Sea to be discussed in Astana on May 21-24
- 19.05.2018Poroshenko signs decree on recalling Ukraine’s representatives from CIS statutory bodies
- 19.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov: "Azerbaijan remains ready to contribute to the just solution of the Palestinian issue"
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President meets with UNESCO Director General in Paris
- 18.05.2018Mehriban Aliyev attends conference on 80th birthday of Koïchiro Matsuura in Paris
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijani, Kyrgyz presidents hold phone talk
- 18.05.2018Baku to convey serious protest to Russian Foreign Ministry
- 16.05.2018Head of delegation: No one will accept such Council of Europe
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev sends congratulatory letter to King of Norway
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: I’ve been interrogated for 3 hours
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: Those who face sanctions in PACE are the ones who support Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 16.05.2018Head of delegation: Azerbaijan to continue activity in PACE
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: PACE decision – a manifestation of double standard attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 16.05.2018Jamewstown Foundation president: BTK to carry military cargo, Turkey gives initial consent
- 16.05.2018Final declaration of PABSEC Istanbul summit does not include paragraph on al-Quds
- 16.05.2018PACE committee imposes sanction on Azerbaijani MP Samad Seyidov
- 16.05.2018Russia says concerned over 'dangerous escalation' in Gaza
- 16.05.2018What points does report of Independent Investigation Body on allegations of corruption within PACE highlight? - OPINION
- 16.05.2018Israeli ambassador: Peace will not be attainable as long as Palestinians refuse to recognize Jewish people as a nation - INTERVIEW
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan names new deputy foreign minister
- 15.05.2018Palestinian ambassador: Trump ‘added fuel to the fire’ - INTERVIEW
- 15.05.2018Ilham Aliyev receives former president of Dutch Senate - UPDATED
- 14.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov met with the EU High Representative
- 14.05.2018President Aliyev congratulates Malaysian PM
- 14.05.2018ACRE staff member asks Baku not to blacklist him for visiting occupied lands
- 13.05.2018Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov departed to Belgium to attend the international conference on the victims of ethnic and religious violence in the Middle East
- 12.05.2018May 28 declared Azerbaijan National Day in Pennsylvania
- 11.05.2018Illegal “charter” signed between France’s Alfortville and Armenian-occupied Lachin city of Azerbaijan annulled
- 11.09.2017Azerbaijan, S. Korea mark 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations
- 11.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by secretary of Vietnam Communist Party
- 11.09.2017Tehran: Summit of Iranian, Azerbaijani, Russian presidents to focus on discussion of regional, int’l issues
- 10.09.2017Azerbaijani President: We resolutely condemn massacre and mass violence against Muslims in Myanmar
- 10.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev: Armenia, which destroyed our holy mosques in Azerbaijan, cannot be a friend of Muslim countries
- 10.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev completed working visit to Kazakhstan