President Ilham Aliyev: "From now on Latvia and Azerbaijan are considered strategic partners"
"My visit is a very important step in the development of bilateral relations. From now on, Latvia and Azerbaijan are considered strategic partners. Today we signed the Joint Declaration on Strategic Partnership between our countries. This cooperation is at a very high level, and the declaration covers many areas, including economic and trade cooperation," said Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev at the Latvia-Azerbaijan business forum held in Riga, APA reports.
The Head of State noted that several business contracts will be signed during the business forum: "These contracts will reflect what we discussed this morning with Mr. President. Due to the fact that we have different climatic conditions, our economies do not compete with each other. These are the economies that can provide each other with different goods. There are good opportunities for increasing our exports to Latvia and importing from Latvia to Azerbaijan. We basically import what you produce and export, and you import what we produce and export".
Azerbaijani President stressed that another important part of our economic cooperation can become a mutual investment: "Thus, we come to a very important point. We have all the basic prerequisites in order to have a good portfolio. These are strong political ties. Business is very sensitive, and businessmen usually invest in a stable environment. Therefore, strong political and friendly relations between our countries make investment very attractive. Today, we need to define the scope of potential investment and business groups to co-ordinate plans in accordance with local demand. I think that it's easy to do due to the wide audience. I am sure that there will be many new business connections established today. Of course, I want once again to invite the Latvian companies to work in Azerbaijan as contractors. Several Latvian companies have worked in Azerbaijan, carrying out various projects. These projects were implemented very successfully and at a high level. Because your companies have deep expertise, authority and professional level. We in Azerbaijan implement many infrastructure projects that may be of interest to your companies. "
"We have such a powerful format of cooperation with Latvia that it would be natural to start a broader partnership. Today we also discussed a very important issue concerning business, tourists, relations between peoples. This is about a direct flight between Baku and Riga, which will be carried out all year round. Now we have a seasonal flights, which we want to make permanent. Of course, it will create additional opportunities, and at the same time, if representatives of the business community use flights to visit each other more regularly, it will make them very attractive from a commercial point of view. Thus, the flight will be justified not only by the decision of the countries’ leadership, but also from a commercial point of view.
The last question I want to draw your attention to is tourism. Our climates and weather conditions are very different from each other. I consider this an advantage, as our citizens prefer cool weather in the summer, and Latvians, it is likely, in winter and other seasons are more eager for sunny weather. Therefore, there is a great potential for investing in tourism and ensuring the attractiveness of our territories for tourism companies. But for this we must, of course, have more connections. We need to know each other better, hold more presentations, more such forums, which will strengthen our relations. Everything we do is aimed at strengthening relations between Latvia and Azerbaijan, and my current visit is a very important contribution to this cause," the Head of State concluded.
Related news releases
- 17.02.2018Baku hosts event in support of Turkey’s Afrin op
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM attends roundtable at Munich Security Conference
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia's speaking of peace is a 'clear hypocrisy'
- 16.02.2018Baku reacts to Russian MFA spokesperson’s remarks
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE chairman
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan invites int’l observers to monitor upcoming presidential election – EU envoy
- 16.02.201854th Munich Security Conference to start today
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president: New agreement with EU to create a new co-op format
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Donald Trump
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Italian deputy economic development minister
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend Munich Security Conference
- 15.02.2018Summit of Caspian states to take place in 2H18
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Serbian counterpart
- 14.02.2018GUAM to send observation mission for upcoming presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Another member of "Music for Peace" project off Azerbaijan’s ‘black list’
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan excludes another Russian musician from “blacklist”
- 14.02.2018Ali Hasanov: Legal proceedings to be initiated against organizers, executors of anti-Azerbaijani campaign
- 14.02.2018Russian musician Vitaly Vatulya removed from Azerbaijan’s ‘blacklist’
- 14.02.2018FM: Co-op with EU does not affect Azerbaijan’s friendly ties with Russia
- 14.02.2018Council of Europe receives invitations from Azerbaijan to observe technical preparation meetings for presidential election
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan one of most active members of PACE – CoE Baku Office
- 14.02.2018FM Mammadyarov: Azerbaijan, EU have some divergent views on issues of trade, tariffs and subsidies
- 14.02.2018FM: Azerbaijan attaches great importance to development of strategic partnership with Russia
- 14.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives British PM's trade envoy
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan removes Argentinean musician from ‘blacklist’
- 14.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives US delegation
- 14.02.2018British PM's trade envoy arrives in Azerbaijan
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijan invites PACE to observe presidential election
- 13.02.2018Milan court acquits Luca Volontè accused of political corruption linked to Azerbaijan
- 13.02.2018CIS Inter-Parliamentary Assembly to observe presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 13.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Formula 1 Group CEO
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijan sends invitation to ODIHR for observation of presidential election
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani FM meets with delegation of Holy See
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Russian counterpart
- 10.02.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Iranian counterpart
- 10.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation of Holy See - UPDATED
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijani Ambassador to Estonia met with Vice-Mayor of Tallinn
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijan, EU agree to create mechanism for dialogue on security and energy issues
- 09.02.2018EU’s Mogherini reiterates importance of respect for fundamental freedoms, human rights
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijan says 2017 proved to be productive for advancement of co-op with EU
- 18.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev completes official visit to Latvia
- 18.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Austrian delegation - UPDATED
- 18.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan interested in expanding ties with Turkmenistan in all areas - UPDATED
- 17.07.2017Latvian President hosted official reception for President of Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan hopes for positive appellate court decision on VAK
- 17.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets speaker of Latvian parliament