President Ilham Aliyev: “Azerbaijan has more than 2 trillion cubic meters proven gas reserves”
APA’s correspondent reports from Brussels that assessing the outcomes of the negotiations, José Manuel Barroso said the meeting was held in “a very open, constructive and friendly atmosphere".
The sides discussed energy issues and the realization of the Southern Gas Corridor. "Azerbaijan is an important partner for the European Union" - said Jose Manuel Barroso.
He said Azerbaijani President once again confirmed that his country would select the project on the gas supply to Europe next week: “This is a commercial decision for Shah Deniz consortium, but I would like to note that both routes are of strategic importance in terms of diversification of energy routes to Europe. The realization of the project on transportation of Azerbaijani gas is profitable for both sides. The project will deliver 10 billion cubic meters of gas to Europe by 2019. We are not going to stop. The Southern Corridor will be able to meet more than 10 % of Europe's gas demand and will serve the energy security, stability and creation of new jobs.”
Jose Manuel Barroso said that they exchanged views on Azerbaijan’s chairmanship over the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe next year, upcoming presidential elections and the situation in the South Caucasus region.
Barroso said they support fair solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict basing on the international legal norms, noted that the European Union supports the efforts of OSCE Minsk Group.
President Ilham Aliyev stated that Azerbaijan is interested in the soonest solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict.
“As a result of this conflict, Azerbaijan’s territories are still under occupation,” he said.
Speaking about Azerbaijan-EU cooperation, President said energy cooperation is a part of these relations. He mentioned the Joint Declaration on the development of Southern Gas Corridor signed earlier with the European Commission President José Manuel Barroso.
“I hope the volume of the Azerbaijani gas delivered to Europe will not be restricted to two projects on Shah Deniz. Azerbaijan has more than 2 trillion cubic meters proven natural gas reserves and Europe will become the major market for Azerbaijan’s gas,” he said.
Related news releases
- 24.09.2016Azerbaijani FM: “Azerbaijan attaches primary importance to the promotion of intercultural and interreligious dialogue at all levels”
- 23.09.2016Azerbaijani FM: “Azerbaijan is and will remain committed to further development of energy cooperation in the region by realization of Southern Gas Corridor”
- 23.09.2016Serious improvement achieved in Israel-Azerbaijan political relations - former envoy
- 23.09.2016Azerbaijan, EU interested in developing bilateral relations
- 23.09.2016Austrian Airlines willing to resume flights to Azerbaijan
- 22.09.2016Elmar Mammadyarov: "Azerbaijan has managed to become a pioneer in the region in initiating and enabling a number of strategic trans-regional projects"
- 22.09.2016Azerbaijani FM: “All terrorist acts are unjustifiable regardless of their motivation and Azerbaijan strongly condemns terrorism in all its forms”
- 22.09.2016UN special rapporteur proposes to create inter-ministerial committee in Azerbaijan for implementation of int’l organizations’ recommendations
- 22.09.2016Knesset says two-state solution only way to settle Israel-Palestine conflict
- 22.09.2016Nagorno-Karabakh belongs to Azerbaijan: Israeli city mayor
- 22.09.2016Comments on Preliminary Opinion by Venice Commission on draft modifications to Azerbaijani Constitution
- 22.09.2016Knesset says no political party in Israel stands against relations with Azerbaijan
- 22.09.2016Israeli Knesset stands for peaceful settlement of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 21.09.2016Azerbaijani defense minister meets with German ambassador
- 21.09.2016Statement issued on visit of European Parliament’s delegation to Azerbaijan
- 21.09.2016“Presentation of Azerbaijan” held in Mexico
- 21.09.2016EU announces €13.5mln assistance package to Azerbaijan
- 21.09.2016PACE to send assessment mission to Azerbaijan’s constitutional referendum
- 20.09.2016Russian minister pays respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev and Azerbaijani martyrs
- 20.09.2016Azerbaijani president receives Russian minister
- 20.09.2016Baku hosts 13th meeting of EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee
- 20.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev explain reasons for OSCE Baku Office closure
- 20.09.2016President Aliyev: Azerbaijan does not maintain any relations with Freedom House
- 20.09.2016MEP: Azerbaijan – important country for EU
- 20.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation of EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee
- 20.09.2016Solution to Palestinian issue of great importance for Israel – Foreign Ministry
- 20.09.2016Visit to Azerbaijan among Netanyahu’s priorities - Israeli MFA
- 19.09.2016Turkish Parliament Speaker: "Azerbaijan takes necessary measures against FETO"
- 19.09.2016Iran always supported Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity – ambassador
- 19.09.2016Azerbaijani FM on working visit in New York
- 19.09.2016NAM Summit Final Document adopted
- 18.09.2016NAM Summit Final Document expresses support for Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 17.09.2016Azerbaijani President: "We carry out large-scale projects with the CIS countries"
- 16.09.2016Official of US Department of State thanks Azerbaijan for close cooperation
- 16.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev attending CIS Council of Heads of State meeting
- 16.09.2016Iran ready to act intermediary in resolving Karabakh conflict – ambassador
- 16.09.2016Azerbaijani president meet with Moldovan PM
- 16.09.2016Azerbaijan, Mexico to hold political consultations
- 16.09.2016Azerbaijani president arrives in Kyrgyzstan
- 16.09.2016French research company conducts opinion survey in Azerbaijan on eve of referendum
- 21.06.2013European Commission President: “I am fully confident that President Ilham Aliyev is committed to the modernization of his country”
- 21.06.2013Belgian office of The European Azerbaijan Society organizes seminar in European Parliament
- 22.06.2013Azerbaijani President: "Self-determination of peoples must not be in contradiction with the territorial integrity of the countries"
- 21.06.2013President Ilham Aliyev: “No one is arrested for political views in Azerbaijan”
- 21.06.2013Azerbaijani Parliament issues statement of protest on European Parliament’s resolution
- 21.06.2013European Council President: “Stability can not be achieved in the South Caucasus, unless the Nagorno Karabakh problem is solved fairly”