President Ilham Aliyev: “Azerbaijan has more than 2 trillion cubic meters proven gas reserves”
APA’s correspondent reports from Brussels that assessing the outcomes of the negotiations, José Manuel Barroso said the meeting was held in “a very open, constructive and friendly atmosphere".
The sides discussed energy issues and the realization of the Southern Gas Corridor. "Azerbaijan is an important partner for the European Union" - said Jose Manuel Barroso.
He said Azerbaijani President once again confirmed that his country would select the project on the gas supply to Europe next week: “This is a commercial decision for Shah Deniz consortium, but I would like to note that both routes are of strategic importance in terms of diversification of energy routes to Europe. The realization of the project on transportation of Azerbaijani gas is profitable for both sides. The project will deliver 10 billion cubic meters of gas to Europe by 2019. We are not going to stop. The Southern Corridor will be able to meet more than 10 % of Europe's gas demand and will serve the energy security, stability and creation of new jobs.”
Jose Manuel Barroso said that they exchanged views on Azerbaijan’s chairmanship over the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe next year, upcoming presidential elections and the situation in the South Caucasus region.
Barroso said they support fair solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict basing on the international legal norms, noted that the European Union supports the efforts of OSCE Minsk Group.
President Ilham Aliyev stated that Azerbaijan is interested in the soonest solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict.
“As a result of this conflict, Azerbaijan’s territories are still under occupation,” he said.
Speaking about Azerbaijan-EU cooperation, President said energy cooperation is a part of these relations. He mentioned the Joint Declaration on the development of Southern Gas Corridor signed earlier with the European Commission President José Manuel Barroso.
“I hope the volume of the Azerbaijani gas delivered to Europe will not be restricted to two projects on Shah Deniz. Azerbaijan has more than 2 trillion cubic meters proven natural gas reserves and Europe will become the major market for Azerbaijan’s gas,” he said.
Related news releases
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan, EU sign document on Trans-European Transport Network
- 24.11.2017EaP summit participants welcome good progress in EU-Azerbaijan talks for new agreement
- 24.11.2017EU reaffirms support to territorial integrity of all its partners
- 24.11.2017Joint declaration adopted at EaP summit in Brussels
- 24.11.2017Russia’s key role in relations with Azerbaijan, Armenia ‘apparent’, says Merkel
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan, Russia sign plan for security cooperation
- 24.11.2017Eastern Partnership summit gets underway in Brussels
- 24.11.2017Alan Duncan: BTK and SGC projects – visible signs of extraordinary co-op between UK and Azerbaijan over past 25 years
- 24.11.2017EaP countries’ leaders officially welcomed in Brussels
- 24.11.2017Eastern Partnership summit to set new goals for future partnership – EU envoy
- 24.11.2017Brussels to host Eastern Partnership summit
- 23.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev invites NATO Sec-Gen to Azerbaijan
- 23.11.2017NATO calls on Azerbaijan to step up security sector reform
- 23.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan will continue partnership with NATO to provide stability in region
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijan, Benelux countries agree on visa exemption for service passport holders
- 23.11.2017EU hopes talks on new agreement with Azerbaijan will be finalized next year
- 23.11.2017CMO chairman expresses support for Russia’s anti-ISIL operations
- 23.11.2017EU commissioner: ‘BTK project is in our interest’
- 23.11.2017Johannes Hahn: Eastern Partnership Declaration to be signed tomorrow
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijan, Japan hold political consultations
- 23.11.2017EU says aviation agreement with Azerbaijan will definitely enhance co-op in this sector
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijani president attends NATO's North Atlantic Council meeting
- 23.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev, NATO Sec-Gen Stoltenberg make press statements
- 22.11.2017Head of Azerbaijani PA delivers lecture at meeting of secretaries of CIS security councils
- 22.11.2017Georgian President and PM congratulate President Ilham Aliyev on 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations
- 22.11.2017Azerbaijani, Ukrainian presidents to meet in Brussels
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijani MPs to attend PACE events
- 21.11.2017FM Mammadyarov: Azerbaijan supports combating all forms of terrorism
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijani president congratulates Lebanese counterpart
- 21.11.2017EU concerned over unresolved conflicts in Eastern Partnership region
- 21.11.2017Fuad Isgandarov: EU attitude towards Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity to change soon
- 20.11.2017Top diplomats from Caspian states to meet in Moscow on December 4-5
- 20.11.2017New EU strategy puts emphasis on ties with neighboring countries – envoy
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, Russian FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 20.11.2017Baku to host meeting of Russia-Azerbaijan intergovernmental commission on military-technical co-op
- 20.11.2017Lavrov comments on possible creation of Azerbaijan-Turkey-Russia co-op format
- 20.11.2017Lavrov: ‘Menu’ on Karabakh conflict settlement on negotiating table
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, Pakistani, Turkish FMs to meet in Baku
- 20.11.2017Russia to host ministerial meeting on Caspian Sea legal status
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijan, Russia sign document on 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations
- 21.06.2013European Commission President: “I am fully confident that President Ilham Aliyev is committed to the modernization of his country”
- 21.06.2013Belgian office of The European Azerbaijan Society organizes seminar in European Parliament
- 22.06.2013Azerbaijani President: "Self-determination of peoples must not be in contradiction with the territorial integrity of the countries"
- 21.06.2013President Ilham Aliyev: “No one is arrested for political views in Azerbaijan”
- 21.06.2013Azerbaijani Parliament issues statement of protest on European Parliament’s resolution
- 21.06.2013European Council President: “Stability can not be achieved in the South Caucasus, unless the Nagorno Karabakh problem is solved fairly”