President Ilham Aliyev: “Azerbaijan has more than 2 trillion cubic meters proven gas reserves”
APA’s correspondent reports from Brussels that assessing the outcomes of the negotiations, José Manuel Barroso said the meeting was held in “a very open, constructive and friendly atmosphere".
The sides discussed energy issues and the realization of the Southern Gas Corridor. "Azerbaijan is an important partner for the European Union" - said Jose Manuel Barroso.
He said Azerbaijani President once again confirmed that his country would select the project on the gas supply to Europe next week: “This is a commercial decision for Shah Deniz consortium, but I would like to note that both routes are of strategic importance in terms of diversification of energy routes to Europe. The realization of the project on transportation of Azerbaijani gas is profitable for both sides. The project will deliver 10 billion cubic meters of gas to Europe by 2019. We are not going to stop. The Southern Corridor will be able to meet more than 10 % of Europe's gas demand and will serve the energy security, stability and creation of new jobs.”
Jose Manuel Barroso said that they exchanged views on Azerbaijan’s chairmanship over the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe next year, upcoming presidential elections and the situation in the South Caucasus region.
Barroso said they support fair solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict basing on the international legal norms, noted that the European Union supports the efforts of OSCE Minsk Group.
President Ilham Aliyev stated that Azerbaijan is interested in the soonest solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict.
“As a result of this conflict, Azerbaijan’s territories are still under occupation,” he said.
Speaking about Azerbaijan-EU cooperation, President said energy cooperation is a part of these relations. He mentioned the Joint Declaration on the development of Southern Gas Corridor signed earlier with the European Commission President José Manuel Barroso.
“I hope the volume of the Azerbaijani gas delivered to Europe will not be restricted to two projects on Shah Deniz. Azerbaijan has more than 2 trillion cubic meters proven natural gas reserves and Europe will become the major market for Azerbaijan’s gas,” he said.
Related news releases
- 23.02.2018U.S. aims to help Azerbaijan become a strong, prosperous state: Ambassador Cekuta
- 23.02.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets with head of Iran's Islamic Culture and Relations Organization
- 23.02.2018Erdogan: 415 sq km now under control in Afrin operation
- 23.02.2018Azerbaijan calls Dutch parliament’s decision ‘biased’
- 23.02.2018Film on Khojaly Genocide screened in California
- 22.02.2018OSCE PA special rep. on South Caucasus resigns
- 22.02.2018Ceremony of laying first border markers on Azerbaijani-Russian border held - UPDATED
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan's FM to address UN Human Rights Council's session
- 22.02.2018MFA: Appeals sent to int'l organizations for monitoring Azerbaijan presidential election
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan, Russia mulling border demarcation
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA, Prosecutor General’s Office issue joint statement on Sumgayit disturbances
- 21.02.2018Envoy Cekuta: U.S. supports transparent and credible electoral process
- 21.02.2018Ilham Aliyev receives ex-president of Dutch Senate
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani president receives Iran’s defense minister
- 21.02.2018Baku reacts to statement of French Foreign Ministry
- 20.02.2018Sergey Lebedev to lead CIS observation mission in Azerbaijan presidential election - UPDATED
- 20.02.2018Outgoing Czech ambassador to Azerbaijan to serve as envoy to Russia
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan names new ambassador to Jordan
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan appoints new consul in Batumi
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan mull energy cooperation
- 19.02.2018Montenegrin president to attend 6th Global Baku Forum
- 19.02.2018ODIHR needs assessment mission to arrive in Baku on Feb. 21 - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018PACE to decide on sending mission for observation of Azerbaijan presidential election in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Armenia’s hypocritical position is key impediment to achieving progress in Karabakh talks - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018EU special rep. for South Caucasus arrives in Baku
- 17.02.2018Baku hosts event in support of Turkey’s Afrin op
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM attends roundtable at Munich Security Conference
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia's speaking of peace is a 'clear hypocrisy'
- 16.02.2018Baku reacts to Russian MFA spokesperson’s remarks
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE chairman
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan invites int’l observers to monitor upcoming presidential election – EU envoy
- 16.02.201854th Munich Security Conference to start today
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president: New agreement with EU to create a new co-op format
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Donald Trump
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Italian deputy economic development minister
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend Munich Security Conference
- 15.02.2018Summit of Caspian states to take place in 2H18
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Serbian counterpart
- 14.02.2018GUAM to send observation mission for upcoming presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Another member of "Music for Peace" project off Azerbaijan’s ‘black list’
- 21.06.2013European Commission President: “I am fully confident that President Ilham Aliyev is committed to the modernization of his country”
- 21.06.2013Belgian office of The European Azerbaijan Society organizes seminar in European Parliament
- 22.06.2013Azerbaijani President: "Self-determination of peoples must not be in contradiction with the territorial integrity of the countries"
- 21.06.2013President Ilham Aliyev: “No one is arrested for political views in Azerbaijan”
- 21.06.2013Azerbaijani Parliament issues statement of protest on European Parliament’s resolution
- 21.06.2013European Council President: “Stability can not be achieved in the South Caucasus, unless the Nagorno Karabakh problem is solved fairly”