President Ilham Aliyev: “Azerbaijan has more than 2 trillion cubic meters proven gas reserves”
APA’s correspondent reports from Brussels that assessing the outcomes of the negotiations, José Manuel Barroso said the meeting was held in “a very open, constructive and friendly atmosphere".
The sides discussed energy issues and the realization of the Southern Gas Corridor. "Azerbaijan is an important partner for the European Union" - said Jose Manuel Barroso.
He said Azerbaijani President once again confirmed that his country would select the project on the gas supply to Europe next week: “This is a commercial decision for Shah Deniz consortium, but I would like to note that both routes are of strategic importance in terms of diversification of energy routes to Europe. The realization of the project on transportation of Azerbaijani gas is profitable for both sides. The project will deliver 10 billion cubic meters of gas to Europe by 2019. We are not going to stop. The Southern Corridor will be able to meet more than 10 % of Europe's gas demand and will serve the energy security, stability and creation of new jobs.”
Jose Manuel Barroso said that they exchanged views on Azerbaijan’s chairmanship over the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe next year, upcoming presidential elections and the situation in the South Caucasus region.
Barroso said they support fair solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict basing on the international legal norms, noted that the European Union supports the efforts of OSCE Minsk Group.
President Ilham Aliyev stated that Azerbaijan is interested in the soonest solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict.
“As a result of this conflict, Azerbaijan’s territories are still under occupation,” he said.
Speaking about Azerbaijan-EU cooperation, President said energy cooperation is a part of these relations. He mentioned the Joint Declaration on the development of Southern Gas Corridor signed earlier with the European Commission President José Manuel Barroso.
“I hope the volume of the Azerbaijani gas delivered to Europe will not be restricted to two projects on Shah Deniz. Azerbaijan has more than 2 trillion cubic meters proven natural gas reserves and Europe will become the major market for Azerbaijan’s gas,” he said.
Related news releases
- 26.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with President and CEO of Qatar Petroleum
- 26.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with chairman of Al Faisal Holding and Qatari Businessmen Association in Doha
- 26.02.2017Azerbaijan, Turkish presidents hold phone talk
- 24.02.2017Russia interested in independent, strong Azerbaijan, says diplomat
- 24.02.2017Ilham Aliyev: Recognition of Khojaly genocide by ten countries important for brining its perpetrators to justice - UPDATED
- 24.02.2017Terrorism, radicalism – a major threat to security: OSCE PA vice-president
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijani FM says he’s not optimistic about Karabakh talks
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijan’s influence increasing on international arena: Djibouti’s minister
- 24.02.2017OSCE MG co-chairs to visit region in mid-March
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijani FM to visit Moscow
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijan, Djibouti ink MoU on political consultations
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijani, Djiboutian FMs meet in Baku
- 24.02.2017Arizona House of Representatives passes proclamation condemning Khojaly Genocide
- 23.02.2017Azerbaijani President congratulates his Estonian counterpart
- 23.02.2017Georgian PM phones Azerbaijani president
- 23.02.2017Sefcovic: SGC of strategic importance for EU
- 23.02.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Italy enjoy high-level cooperation - UPDATED
- 23.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Turkey’s energy minister - UPDATED
- 23.02.2017OSCE PA to start winter meeting in Vienna today
- 23.02.2017Georgian president to visit Azerbaijan
- 23.02.2017Azerbaijan: Khojaly Genocide should find its legal appraisal
- 23.02.2017Kurz: Austria to support all efforts to achieve progress on Karabakh conflict
- 22.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by Japanese minister - UPDATED
- 22.02.2017Russian Embassy: New lawyer will defend Lapshin
- 22.02.2017Baku to host meeting of Azerbaijan-Turkey Co-op Council
- 22.02.2017Georgian lawmaker of Azerbaijani origin addresses parliament on Khojaly genocide
- 22.02.2017Russian, Armenian FMs meet in Moscow
- 22.02.2017Palestinian deputy PM to join 5th Global Baku Forum
- 22.02.2017Russia to mark 25th anniversary of relations with Azerbaijan
- 22.02.2017Djiboutian FM due in Azerbaijan
- 22.02.2017Novruz Mammadov: EU, which proposes association agreement, once refused to recognize Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 22.02.2017Southern Gas Corridor approaching its final phase – Azerbaijani president - UPDATED
- 22.02.2017Ambassador: Hungary sees Southern Gas Corridor as priority - INTERVIEW
- 21.02.2017Turkish president phones Ilham Aliyev
- 21.02.2017Azerbaijani FM to attend int’l event on Khojaly genocide in Turkey
- 21.02.2017Ukrainian deputy: Cases of pressure on Azerbaijani businessmen to be investigated
- 20.02.2017Foreign diplomats, their spouses visit Azerbaijan’s Shaki and Gakh
- 20.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by Qatari minister - UPDATED
- 18.02.2017Azerbaijani President attended panel discussion at Munich Security Conference
- 18.02.2017Azerbaijani president meets with UN Secretary-General in Munich - UPDATED
- 21.06.2013European Commission President: “I am fully confident that President Ilham Aliyev is committed to the modernization of his country”
- 21.06.2013Belgian office of The European Azerbaijan Society organizes seminar in European Parliament
- 22.06.2013Azerbaijani President: "Self-determination of peoples must not be in contradiction with the territorial integrity of the countries"
- 21.06.2013President Ilham Aliyev: “No one is arrested for political views in Azerbaijan”
- 21.06.2013Azerbaijani Parliament issues statement of protest on European Parliament’s resolution
- 21.06.2013European Council President: “Stability can not be achieved in the South Caucasus, unless the Nagorno Karabakh problem is solved fairly”