President Ilham Aliyev: “Azerbaijan has more than 2 trillion cubic meters proven gas reserves”
APA’s correspondent reports from Brussels that assessing the outcomes of the negotiations, José Manuel Barroso said the meeting was held in “a very open, constructive and friendly atmosphere".
The sides discussed energy issues and the realization of the Southern Gas Corridor. "Azerbaijan is an important partner for the European Union" - said Jose Manuel Barroso.
He said Azerbaijani President once again confirmed that his country would select the project on the gas supply to Europe next week: “This is a commercial decision for Shah Deniz consortium, but I would like to note that both routes are of strategic importance in terms of diversification of energy routes to Europe. The realization of the project on transportation of Azerbaijani gas is profitable for both sides. The project will deliver 10 billion cubic meters of gas to Europe by 2019. We are not going to stop. The Southern Corridor will be able to meet more than 10 % of Europe's gas demand and will serve the energy security, stability and creation of new jobs.”
Jose Manuel Barroso said that they exchanged views on Azerbaijan’s chairmanship over the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe next year, upcoming presidential elections and the situation in the South Caucasus region.
Barroso said they support fair solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict basing on the international legal norms, noted that the European Union supports the efforts of OSCE Minsk Group.
President Ilham Aliyev stated that Azerbaijan is interested in the soonest solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict.
“As a result of this conflict, Azerbaijan’s territories are still under occupation,” he said.
Speaking about Azerbaijan-EU cooperation, President said energy cooperation is a part of these relations. He mentioned the Joint Declaration on the development of Southern Gas Corridor signed earlier with the European Commission President José Manuel Barroso.
“I hope the volume of the Azerbaijani gas delivered to Europe will not be restricted to two projects on Shah Deniz. Azerbaijan has more than 2 trillion cubic meters proven natural gas reserves and Europe will become the major market for Azerbaijan’s gas,” he said.
Related news releases
- 30.08.2016Italian embassy in Baku opens book of condolences in honor of quake victims
- 30.08.2016Italy expects rise in trade turnover with Azerbaijan in 2H16
- 30.08.2016Italian FM due in Azerbaijan
- 30.08.2016Azerbaijani president receives Japan’s parliamentary vice minister
- 29.08.2016Azerbaijani FM meets with Georgian PM
- 29.08.2016Azerbaijan, Georgia stand on same positions on issues of int’l agenda – FM
- 29.08.2016Georgia, Azerbaijan to enjoy favorable transport corridor after BTK commissioned
- 29.08.2016FM Mammadyarov: Azerbaijan-Georgia strategic partnership developing in upward trend
- 29.08.2016Azerbaijani FM: Karabakh conflict settlement to ensure lasting peace, security in region
- 29.08.2016Azerbaijani FM meets with Georgian counterpart - UPDATED
- 26.08.2016Kenya keen on co-op with Azerbaijan, says minister
- 26.08.2016Italian embassy in Baku to open book of condolences in honor of quake victims
- 26.08.2016Israeli ambassador visits Azerbaijan’s northwest
- 26.08.2016Some details emerge of Azerbaijan-WTO talks
- 26.08.2016EU may issue mandate in mid-October to begin talks with Azerbaijan on new strategic partnership agreement
- 25.08.2016Venice Commission says ready to work with Azerbaijan on draft constitutional amendments
- 24.08.2016Foreign Ministry: Efforts underway to find out whether any Azerbaijanis hurt in Italy earthquake
- 24.08.2016Qatar appoints new ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 23.08.2016Hikmet Hajiyev: Armenia’s continuing occupation is a major obstacle to settling conflict
- 23.08.2016Azerbaijan sends invitation to PACE for observing referendum
- 23.08.2016Turkic Council secretary general: Member countries back Azerbaijan’s stance on Karabakh
- 22.08.2016Elmar Mammadyarov sends condolences to Turkish counterpart
- 19.08.2016Korea seeks to broaden cooperation with Azerbaijan: ambassador
- 19.08.2016Minister: Despite long geographical distance, Korea and Azerbaijan have a lot in common
- 18.08.2016Zakharova: Russia does not take national approach to arrest in Baku of Russian citizen Marat Ueldanov
- 18.08.2016Date of Eastern Partnership Foreign Ministers' meeting known
- 17.08.2016U.S. and UK concerned about arrest of Natig Jafarli - UPDATED
- 17.08.2016Baku holds receipt over Indonesia Independence Day
- 17.08.2016Iranian health minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 17.08.2016Kazakh president to visit Azerbaijan
- 16.08.2016President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Belgian ambassador
- 16.08.2016Azerbaijan is largest investor in Georgia in 2015
- 15.08.2016President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming German ambassador
- 14.08.2016President Ilham Aliyev received delegation led by Russian Defence Minister
- 12.08.2016U.S. Embassy in Baku welcomes new deputy chief of mission William R. Gill
- 12.08.2016Azerbaijan closely participated in repairing Russia-Turkey relations – ambassador
- 12.08.2016Tourist flow to Turkey not affected by declaration of state of emergency
- 11.08.2016Azerbaijan begins applying new duties for tourist visas
- 11.08.2016Azerbaijani president receives US Congress representative - UPDATED
- 11.08.2016Azerbaijani President receives EU Special Representative
- 21.06.2013European Commission President: “I am fully confident that President Ilham Aliyev is committed to the modernization of his country”
- 21.06.2013Belgian office of The European Azerbaijan Society organizes seminar in European Parliament
- 22.06.2013Azerbaijani President: "Self-determination of peoples must not be in contradiction with the territorial integrity of the countries"
- 21.06.2013President Ilham Aliyev: “No one is arrested for political views in Azerbaijan”
- 21.06.2013Azerbaijani Parliament issues statement of protest on European Parliament’s resolution
- 21.06.2013European Council President: “Stability can not be achieved in the South Caucasus, unless the Nagorno Karabakh problem is solved fairly”