President Ilham Aliyev: “Azerbaijan has more than 2 trillion cubic meters proven gas reserves”
APA’s correspondent reports from Brussels that assessing the outcomes of the negotiations, José Manuel Barroso said the meeting was held in “a very open, constructive and friendly atmosphere".
The sides discussed energy issues and the realization of the Southern Gas Corridor. "Azerbaijan is an important partner for the European Union" - said Jose Manuel Barroso.
He said Azerbaijani President once again confirmed that his country would select the project on the gas supply to Europe next week: “This is a commercial decision for Shah Deniz consortium, but I would like to note that both routes are of strategic importance in terms of diversification of energy routes to Europe. The realization of the project on transportation of Azerbaijani gas is profitable for both sides. The project will deliver 10 billion cubic meters of gas to Europe by 2019. We are not going to stop. The Southern Corridor will be able to meet more than 10 % of Europe's gas demand and will serve the energy security, stability and creation of new jobs.”
Jose Manuel Barroso said that they exchanged views on Azerbaijan’s chairmanship over the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe next year, upcoming presidential elections and the situation in the South Caucasus region.
Barroso said they support fair solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict basing on the international legal norms, noted that the European Union supports the efforts of OSCE Minsk Group.
President Ilham Aliyev stated that Azerbaijan is interested in the soonest solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict.
“As a result of this conflict, Azerbaijan’s territories are still under occupation,” he said.
Speaking about Azerbaijan-EU cooperation, President said energy cooperation is a part of these relations. He mentioned the Joint Declaration on the development of Southern Gas Corridor signed earlier with the European Commission President José Manuel Barroso.
“I hope the volume of the Azerbaijani gas delivered to Europe will not be restricted to two projects on Shah Deniz. Azerbaijan has more than 2 trillion cubic meters proven natural gas reserves and Europe will become the major market for Azerbaijan’s gas,” he said.
Related news releases
- 30.03.2017Vienna to host meeting of PACE Sub-Committee on Conflicts in June
- 28.03.2017Putin, Rouhani discuss Caspian Sea legal status
- 28.03.2017Rouhani: Iran-Russia-Azerbaijan co-op format serves people’s prosperity
- 28.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament speaker meets PACE president
- 28.03.2017Belarus president: Does Armenia have anything to do Lapshin's case?
- 28.03.2017Tillerson: US interested in early settlement of Karabakh conflict
- 27.03.2017Azerbaijan: Excavations by Armenia around Shusha mosque ‘vandalism’
- 27.03.2017Azerbaijan, Turkey to hold political consultations
- 27.03.2017Final statement adopted at summit of GUAM countries’ government heads
- 27.03.2017GUAM calls for resolution of conflicts based on states’ territorial integrity
- 27.03.2017Summit of GUAM countries’ government heads kicks off in Kiev
- 26.03.2017Denmark supports Azerbaijan's territorial integrity - envoy
- 23.03.2017Pakistan, Azerbaijan enjoy excellent bilateral ties – envoy
- 23.03.2017Azerbaijan strongly condemns London terror attack
- 22.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates his counterpart Mamnoon Hussain on Pakistan Day
- 18.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan submitted draft agreement to European Commission
- 18.03.2017Man shot after attack at Paris Orly airport
- 18.03.2017Azerbaijani President congratulates his Tunisian counterpart
- 18.03.2017Mevlut Cavusoglu: Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway project to be launched in two months
- 18.03.2017Nowruz festivities held in Washington
- 17.03.2017Mehriban Aliyeva meet with delgation headed by Iranian Minister
- 17.03.2017Ilham Aliyev meets chairman of Bosnia and Herzegovina Presidency - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Saudi prince - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017Fifth Global Baku Forum underway
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani president’s messages to French society and president: - OPINION
- 17.03.2017Ilham Aliyev receives Iran’s ICT minister - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry's ex-official
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry summons Greek ambassador
- 17.03.2017Baku Forum features session on future of Europe
- 17.03.2017Slovenia’s ex-president calls for reconsideration of Eastern Partnership principles
- 17.03.2017China’s role in int’l relations highlighted at Baku forum
- 17.03.2017Albania fully supports Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity, says president
- 17.03.2017Baku hosts senior officials’ meeting of Istanbul Process
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijan, France celebrate 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations
- 16.03.2017Kemaleddin Heydarov meets Iran’s ICT minister
- 16.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev praises close co-op between Azerbaijan, Georgia - UPDATED
- 16.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets Albanian counterpart
- 16.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets Latvian counterpart - UPDATED
- 16.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets Montenegrin counterpart
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijan's First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets Macedonian first lady
- 21.06.2013European Commission President: “I am fully confident that President Ilham Aliyev is committed to the modernization of his country”
- 21.06.2013Belgian office of The European Azerbaijan Society organizes seminar in European Parliament
- 22.06.2013Azerbaijani President: "Self-determination of peoples must not be in contradiction with the territorial integrity of the countries"
- 21.06.2013President Ilham Aliyev: “No one is arrested for political views in Azerbaijan”
- 21.06.2013Azerbaijani Parliament issues statement of protest on European Parliament’s resolution
- 21.06.2013European Council President: “Stability can not be achieved in the South Caucasus, unless the Nagorno Karabakh problem is solved fairly”