President Ilham Aliyev: “Azerbaijan has more than 2 trillion cubic meters proven gas reserves”
APA’s correspondent reports from Brussels that assessing the outcomes of the negotiations, José Manuel Barroso said the meeting was held in “a very open, constructive and friendly atmosphere".
The sides discussed energy issues and the realization of the Southern Gas Corridor. "Azerbaijan is an important partner for the European Union" - said Jose Manuel Barroso.
He said Azerbaijani President once again confirmed that his country would select the project on the gas supply to Europe next week: “This is a commercial decision for Shah Deniz consortium, but I would like to note that both routes are of strategic importance in terms of diversification of energy routes to Europe. The realization of the project on transportation of Azerbaijani gas is profitable for both sides. The project will deliver 10 billion cubic meters of gas to Europe by 2019. We are not going to stop. The Southern Corridor will be able to meet more than 10 % of Europe's gas demand and will serve the energy security, stability and creation of new jobs.”
Jose Manuel Barroso said that they exchanged views on Azerbaijan’s chairmanship over the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe next year, upcoming presidential elections and the situation in the South Caucasus region.
Barroso said they support fair solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict basing on the international legal norms, noted that the European Union supports the efforts of OSCE Minsk Group.
President Ilham Aliyev stated that Azerbaijan is interested in the soonest solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict.
“As a result of this conflict, Azerbaijan’s territories are still under occupation,” he said.
Speaking about Azerbaijan-EU cooperation, President said energy cooperation is a part of these relations. He mentioned the Joint Declaration on the development of Southern Gas Corridor signed earlier with the European Commission President José Manuel Barroso.
“I hope the volume of the Azerbaijani gas delivered to Europe will not be restricted to two projects on Shah Deniz. Azerbaijan has more than 2 trillion cubic meters proven natural gas reserves and Europe will become the major market for Azerbaijan’s gas,” he said.
Related news releases
- 18.01.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with head of Iraqi Kurdistan Regional Government
- 18.01.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko - UPDATED
- 18.01.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with corporate vice president of Worldwide Public Sector at Microsoft
- 18.01.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with Statoil Chief Executive Officer
- 18.01.2017Sana Imran: Azerbaijan – a fast developing, very safe Muslim country of South Caucasus - INTERVIEW
- 18.01.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets with Palantir CEO in Davos
- 17.01.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with Chief Executive Officer of LafargeHolcim
- 17.01.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with managing director of VPS Healthcare
- 17.01.2017Azerbaijani President meets with the Prime minister of Luxembourg
- 17.01.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets with BP CEO in Davos
- 17.01.2017Azerbaijani President meets with Swiss President
- 17.01.2017Latvia’s stance on Karabakh conflict remains unchanged, says ambassador
- 17.01.2017US ambassador to Azerbaijan not to participate in Trump’s inauguration ceremony
- 17.01.2017Russian FM comments on detention of blogger Lapshin over illegal visit to Karabakh
- 17.01.2017Azerbaijan's foreign policy does not comprise integration in any direction: PA official
- 17.01.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets with Norwegian FM in Davos
- 17.01.2017Baku to host Azerbaijan-EU business forum
- 17.01.2017EU, Azerbaijan likely to start negotiations in next few weeks
- 17.01.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with Executive Chairman of the World Economic
- 16.01.2017Azerbaijani FM to attend OIC meeting
- 16.01.2017Romania enjoys strategic partnership with Azerbaijan: ambassador
- 14.01.2017Azerbaijani FM sends letter to Turkish counterpart
- 13.01.2017Azerbaijani president sends letter to Turkish counterpart
- 13.01.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s success today – an outcome of targeted efforts of past few years
- 12.01.2017Blogger Lapshin may apologize to Azerbaijan
- 12.01.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives PACE co-rapporteurs
- 11.01.2017Baku to host EU-Azerbaijan subcommittee meeting
- 10.01.2017Azerbaijani President receives a French Secretary of State for Development
- 10.01.2017Ilham Aliyev: Rafsanjani was a big supporter of development of Iran-Azerbaijan ties
- 10.01.2017Azerbaijani parliamentary delegation attends Rafsanjani’s funeral
- 10.01.2017Ilham Aliyev: Statements made by Pope Francis in Baku reaffirmed importance of Azerbaijan
- 10.01.2017PACE co-rapporteurs to visit Azerbaijan
- 10.01.2017Georgia hopes border delimitation and demarcation with Azerbaijan to end in 2017 - EXCLUSIVE
- 10.01.2017Iran-Azerbaijan ties began strengthening during Rafsanjani’s reign, says ambassador
- 10.01.2017US ambassador to Azerbaijan comments on possibility of Trump recalling him
- 10.01.2017Azerbaijan going to EU as real partner in different spheres: ambassador
- 09.01.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Estonia enjoy active co-op within int’l organizations
- 09.01.2017President Ilham Aliyev expresses condolences over Rafsanjani's death
- 09.01.2017Ilham Aliyev receives incoming ambassadors - UPDATED-1
- 09.01.2017Azerbaijan says joining Islamic Military Alliance not on its foreign policy agenda - UPDATED
- 21.06.2013European Commission President: “I am fully confident that President Ilham Aliyev is committed to the modernization of his country”
- 21.06.2013Belgian office of The European Azerbaijan Society organizes seminar in European Parliament
- 22.06.2013Azerbaijani President: "Self-determination of peoples must not be in contradiction with the territorial integrity of the countries"
- 21.06.2013President Ilham Aliyev: “No one is arrested for political views in Azerbaijan”
- 21.06.2013Azerbaijani Parliament issues statement of protest on European Parliament’s resolution
- 21.06.2013European Council President: “Stability can not be achieved in the South Caucasus, unless the Nagorno Karabakh problem is solved fairly”