President Ilham Aliyev: “Azerbaijan has more than 2 trillion cubic meters proven gas reserves”
APA’s correspondent reports from Brussels that assessing the outcomes of the negotiations, José Manuel Barroso said the meeting was held in “a very open, constructive and friendly atmosphere".
The sides discussed energy issues and the realization of the Southern Gas Corridor. "Azerbaijan is an important partner for the European Union" - said Jose Manuel Barroso.
He said Azerbaijani President once again confirmed that his country would select the project on the gas supply to Europe next week: “This is a commercial decision for Shah Deniz consortium, but I would like to note that both routes are of strategic importance in terms of diversification of energy routes to Europe. The realization of the project on transportation of Azerbaijani gas is profitable for both sides. The project will deliver 10 billion cubic meters of gas to Europe by 2019. We are not going to stop. The Southern Corridor will be able to meet more than 10 % of Europe's gas demand and will serve the energy security, stability and creation of new jobs.”
Jose Manuel Barroso said that they exchanged views on Azerbaijan’s chairmanship over the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe next year, upcoming presidential elections and the situation in the South Caucasus region.
Barroso said they support fair solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict basing on the international legal norms, noted that the European Union supports the efforts of OSCE Minsk Group.
President Ilham Aliyev stated that Azerbaijan is interested in the soonest solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict.
“As a result of this conflict, Azerbaijan’s territories are still under occupation,” he said.
Speaking about Azerbaijan-EU cooperation, President said energy cooperation is a part of these relations. He mentioned the Joint Declaration on the development of Southern Gas Corridor signed earlier with the European Commission President José Manuel Barroso.
“I hope the volume of the Azerbaijani gas delivered to Europe will not be restricted to two projects on Shah Deniz. Azerbaijan has more than 2 trillion cubic meters proven natural gas reserves and Europe will become the major market for Azerbaijan’s gas,” he said.
Related news releases
- 21.10.2016US, Azerbaijan enjoy good bilateral ties, says ambassador
- 21.10.2016Azerbaijan, Czech Republic to ink several MoUs
- 21.10.2016Czech Senate president expected to visit Azerbaijan
- 21.10.2016Venezuelan president due in Azerbaijan
- 21.10.2016Los Angeles celebrates 25th anniversary of Azerbaijan’s independence
- 20.10.2016British ambassador visits Nakhchivan
- 20.10.2016Bern hosts conference on ECHR judgment in case “Chiragov and others versus Armenia”
- 20.10.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Turkey unity should be strengthened further - UPDATED
- 20.10.2016Normalization of Israel-Turkey ties to have positive impact on Azerbaijan - researcher
- 19.10.2016Rouhani congratulates Ilham Aliyev on 25th anniversary of Azerbaijan’s independence
- 19.10.2016Azerbaijan made great progress over 25 years of independence: US Embassy
- 19.10.2016Azerbaijan – model for ethnic, religious tolerance, says US congressman
- 18.10.2016Azerbaijani Defence Minister visited the "ERA" and "AERO Vodochody" companies in Czech Republic
- 18.10.2016Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan phoned Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev
- 18.10.2016Erdogan: Turkey proud of Azerbaijan’s decent int’l position
- 18.10.2016Azerbaijan developed profoundly over 25 years of independence, says EU
- 18.10.2016Azerbaijani president receives governor general of Iran’s Ardabil - UPDATED
- 18.10.2016FM: Armenia continues to hold destructive position in Karabakh talks
- 18.10.2016Ilham Aliyev does not exclude Azerbaijan’s accession to Eurasian Economic Union in future
- 18.10.2016President Ilham Aliyev hints at possibility of autonomous republic in Nagorno-Karabakh - UPDATED
- 18.10.2016Azerbaijani president: Outside forces could be involved in Russian jet's downing by Turkey
- 18.10.2016Russian approach in Syria fully justified - Azerbaijani president
- 18.10.2016October 18 proclaimed ‘Azerbaijan Independence Day’ in US State of Montana
- 17.10.2016Putin congratulates Ilham Aliyev on 25th anniversary of Azerbaijan’s independence
- 17.10.2016Azerbaijan’s Consulate General in Los Angeles hosts event with Christian faith leaders
- 17.10.2016US congresswoman congratulates Azerbaijan with special proclamation
- 15.10.2016Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry explains reports of traffic crash caused by Azerbaijani diplomat in Ukraine
- 15.10.2016Pakistani PM ends official visit to Azerbaijan
- 15.10.2016Pakistani premier meets with Azerbaijani parl’t speaker
- 15.10.2016Pakistani PM pays respect to Azerbaijan’s national leader Heydar Aliyev and martyrs
- 15.10.2016President Ilham Aliyev congratulates new UN chief
- 15.10.2016EU’s Salber due in Azerbaijan for high-level consultations
- 14.10.2016Next EU-Azerbaijan subcommittee meeting to be held in mid-Dec
- 14.10.2016PM: Pakistan supports liberation of Azerbaijan’s occupied territories
- 14.10.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Pakistan support each other on Nagorno-Karabakh, Kashmir
- 14.10.2016Azerbaijan FM to attend 43rd OIC Foreign Ministers Council
- 14.10.2016Pakistani PM: Azerbaijan’s development pride of all Muslim countries
- 14.10.2016Ilham Aliyev: Pakistan one of closest friends of Azerbaijan
- 14.10.2016Ilham Aliyev hosts official dinner in honor of Pakistani PM
- 14.10.2016Azerbaijani president, Pakistani PM make statements for press
- 21.06.2013European Commission President: “I am fully confident that President Ilham Aliyev is committed to the modernization of his country”
- 21.06.2013Belgian office of The European Azerbaijan Society organizes seminar in European Parliament
- 22.06.2013Azerbaijani President: "Self-determination of peoples must not be in contradiction with the territorial integrity of the countries"
- 21.06.2013President Ilham Aliyev: “No one is arrested for political views in Azerbaijan”
- 21.06.2013Azerbaijani Parliament issues statement of protest on European Parliament’s resolution
- 21.06.2013European Council President: “Stability can not be achieved in the South Caucasus, unless the Nagorno Karabakh problem is solved fairly”