President Ilham Aliyev: “Azerbaijan has more than 2 trillion cubic meters proven gas reserves”
APA’s correspondent reports from Brussels that assessing the outcomes of the negotiations, José Manuel Barroso said the meeting was held in “a very open, constructive and friendly atmosphere".
The sides discussed energy issues and the realization of the Southern Gas Corridor. "Azerbaijan is an important partner for the European Union" - said Jose Manuel Barroso.
He said Azerbaijani President once again confirmed that his country would select the project on the gas supply to Europe next week: “This is a commercial decision for Shah Deniz consortium, but I would like to note that both routes are of strategic importance in terms of diversification of energy routes to Europe. The realization of the project on transportation of Azerbaijani gas is profitable for both sides. The project will deliver 10 billion cubic meters of gas to Europe by 2019. We are not going to stop. The Southern Corridor will be able to meet more than 10 % of Europe's gas demand and will serve the energy security, stability and creation of new jobs.”
Jose Manuel Barroso said that they exchanged views on Azerbaijan’s chairmanship over the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe next year, upcoming presidential elections and the situation in the South Caucasus region.
Barroso said they support fair solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict basing on the international legal norms, noted that the European Union supports the efforts of OSCE Minsk Group.
President Ilham Aliyev stated that Azerbaijan is interested in the soonest solution of Nagorno Karabakh conflict.
“As a result of this conflict, Azerbaijan’s territories are still under occupation,” he said.
Speaking about Azerbaijan-EU cooperation, President said energy cooperation is a part of these relations. He mentioned the Joint Declaration on the development of Southern Gas Corridor signed earlier with the European Commission President José Manuel Barroso.
“I hope the volume of the Azerbaijani gas delivered to Europe will not be restricted to two projects on Shah Deniz. Azerbaijan has more than 2 trillion cubic meters proven natural gas reserves and Europe will become the major market for Azerbaijan’s gas,” he said.
Related news releases
- 08.12.2016Azerbaijani, German FMs meet in Hamburg
- 08.12.2016Azerbaijan interested in development of co-op with NATO
- 08.12.2016Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Pakistani counterpart over plane crash
- 08.12.2016OSCE: Settlement of conflicts in South Caucasus depends on sides’ political will
- 08.12.201623rd OSCE Ministerial Council kicks off in Hamburg
- 08.12.2016UN to assist Azerbaijan in achieving sustainable development goals
- 07.12.2016Azerbaijan may consider redefining due number of embassies and consulates
- 07.12.2016Azerbaijan committed to contributing to NATO mission in Afghanistan
- 07.12.2016Ilham Aliyev receives CDI president - UPDATED
- 07.12.2016Ilham Aliyev receives new Moroccan ambassador - UPDATED
- 07.12.2016Elmar Mammadyarov attends NATO foreign ministers’ meeting
- 07.12.2016Closure of several diplomatic missions abroad not on agenda: Azerbaijani MFA
- 07.12.2016Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Cuban ambassador
- 06.12.2016FM: Cyprus wants relations with Azerbaijan to become ‘normal’
- 06.12.2016Azerbaijan recalls ambassadors to Belarus
- 06.12.2016Ilham Aliyev receives Russian interior minister
- 06.12.2016Azerbaijani President congratulates President of the Republic of Finland
- 06.12.2016Azerbaijani president congratulates newly elected Uzbekistan President
- 05.12.2016Ogtay Asadov: Azerbaijan has always stood against separatism practically
- 05.12.2016Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov meets Serbian interior minister
- 05.12.2016President Ilham Aliyev receives Pakistani commerce minister - UPDATED
- 05.12.2016President Ilham Aliyev receives Serbian interior minister - UPDATED
- 05.12.2016Hikmat Hajiyev: As co-chair of HoA-IP, Azerbaijan remains committed to supporting Afghanistan
- 05.12.2016Russian lawmaker: Creation of united Russian-Armenian military group not aimed against Azerbaijan
- 05.12.2016Azerbaijani FM to attend NATO, OSCE events
- 03.12.2016Azerbaijani president receives Mevlut Cavusoglu
- 03.12.2016Azerbaijani, Turkish, Turkmen energy and foreign ministers may meet in early 2017
- 03.12.2016Turkey says welcomes Azerbaijan’s anti-FETO steps
- 03.12.2016Azerbaijani, Turkish FMs mull Karabakh conflict settlement
- 02.12.2016AmCham prepares recommendations for development of business in Azerbaijan
- 02.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Russia are good neighbors, continue to be friends
- 02.12.2016Turkish FM en route to Azerbaijan
- 02.12.2016Russia ready to solve regional problems - REPORT FROM KREMLIN - UPDATED
- 01.12.2016Russian deputy FM pays working visit to Azerbaijan
- 01.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-US energy co-op developing successfully - UPDATED
- 01.12.2016Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina support each other within int’l organizations - UPDATED
- 01.12.2016Peru intends to open embassy in Azerbaijan
- 01.12.2016Azerbaijan, Bosnia & Herzegovina mull co-op prospects - UPDATED
- 01.12.2016FM: Turkey respects Russia’s will to solve Karabakh conflict
- 01.12.2016No consensus on TAP within Bosnia & Herzegovina: FM
- 21.06.2013European Commission President: “I am fully confident that President Ilham Aliyev is committed to the modernization of his country”
- 21.06.2013Belgian office of The European Azerbaijan Society organizes seminar in European Parliament
- 22.06.2013Azerbaijani President: "Self-determination of peoples must not be in contradiction with the territorial integrity of the countries"
- 21.06.2013President Ilham Aliyev: “No one is arrested for political views in Azerbaijan”
- 21.06.2013Azerbaijani Parliament issues statement of protest on European Parliament’s resolution
- 21.06.2013European Council President: “Stability can not be achieved in the South Caucasus, unless the Nagorno Karabakh problem is solved fairly”