President Ilham Aliyev addresses NATO summit
The President noted that over the 20 years of cooperation between Azerbaijan and NATO, our country has turned into a reliable partner contributing to a number of the Alliance’s activities, APA reports quoting AzerTAc.
“Azerbaijan plays an important part in regional security and stability. At the same time, the biggest threat to the security of the region is posed by the policy of aggression pursued by Armenia, which keeps 20 per cent of Azerbaijani territory, including Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts, under occupation. Armenia has carried out a policy of ethnic cleansing against the Azerbaijanis, as a result of which more than a million people have become refugees and internally displaced persons. Four UN Security Council resolutions demand an immediate and unconditional withdrawal of Armenian troops from the occupied territories. Unfortunately, Armenia continues to flout them and the conflict remains unresolved. The conflict must be resolved on the basis of international law and the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan,” President Aliyev said.
He added: “We appreciate NATO’s position on this issue, as well as its unreserved support for the territorial integrity and sovereignty of Azerbaijan voiced at previous summits. We firmly believe that NATO’s commitment to such an important part of international law will be continued in the future. Thus, it will make an explicit contribution to the restoration of justice and prevent the spread of the misperception regarding the possibility of a forcible change of internationally recognized borders.
Azerbaijan is making a comprehensive contribution to ensuring the long-term development of Afghanistan. Azerbaijan is one of the five NATO partners to be contributing to all three focus areas of this summit. Azerbaijan’s military personnel have been part of the ISAF contingent since its early days.”
Noting that extensive training programs are conducted for Afghanistan’s law-enforcement and government officials at different academies in Azerbaijan, the President said:
“A total of 3 million euros has been transferred into the Fund of Trustees of Afghanistan’s National Army, while 1 million euros was spent on strengthening operations. The transit of 40 per cent of non-destructive goods intended for ISAF forces is provided by Azerbaijan. In addition, the construction of the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway, which will create important transit opportunities within the framework of the “Resolute Support” program we will join in the future, will be commissioned in the coming months. Coupled with the biggest in the Caspian region Azerbaijan International Seaport, this railway will open up extensive trade and economic opportunities both for the region and Afghanistan. It will also benefit Afghanistan, which is located at the center of the route linking the Far East with Europe.
As a country which has completed a transition from a period of stagnation and crisis in the early years of independence to one of stability and rapid economic development, Azerbaijan is ready to share its experience with Afghanistan and contribute to various reconstruction and investment projects in this country.”
Related news releases
- 24.09.2016Azerbaijani FM: “Azerbaijan attaches primary importance to the promotion of intercultural and interreligious dialogue at all levels”
- 23.09.2016Azerbaijani FM: “Azerbaijan is and will remain committed to further development of energy cooperation in the region by realization of Southern Gas Corridor”
- 23.09.2016Serious improvement achieved in Israel-Azerbaijan political relations - former envoy
- 23.09.2016Azerbaijan, EU interested in developing bilateral relations
- 23.09.2016Austrian Airlines willing to resume flights to Azerbaijan
- 22.09.2016Elmar Mammadyarov: "Azerbaijan has managed to become a pioneer in the region in initiating and enabling a number of strategic trans-regional projects"
- 22.09.2016Azerbaijani FM: “All terrorist acts are unjustifiable regardless of their motivation and Azerbaijan strongly condemns terrorism in all its forms”
- 22.09.2016UN special rapporteur proposes to create inter-ministerial committee in Azerbaijan for implementation of int’l organizations’ recommendations
- 22.09.2016Knesset says two-state solution only way to settle Israel-Palestine conflict
- 22.09.2016Nagorno-Karabakh belongs to Azerbaijan: Israeli city mayor
- 22.09.2016Comments on Preliminary Opinion by Venice Commission on draft modifications to Azerbaijani Constitution
- 22.09.2016Knesset says no political party in Israel stands against relations with Azerbaijan
- 22.09.2016Israeli Knesset stands for peaceful settlement of Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 21.09.2016Azerbaijani defense minister meets with German ambassador
- 21.09.2016Statement issued on visit of European Parliament’s delegation to Azerbaijan
- 21.09.2016“Presentation of Azerbaijan” held in Mexico
- 21.09.2016EU announces €13.5mln assistance package to Azerbaijan
- 21.09.2016PACE to send assessment mission to Azerbaijan’s constitutional referendum
- 20.09.2016Russian minister pays respect to national leader Heydar Aliyev and Azerbaijani martyrs
- 20.09.2016Azerbaijani president receives Russian minister
- 20.09.2016Baku hosts 13th meeting of EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee
- 20.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev explain reasons for OSCE Baku Office closure
- 20.09.2016President Aliyev: Azerbaijan does not maintain any relations with Freedom House
- 20.09.2016MEP: Azerbaijan – important country for EU
- 20.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation of EU-Azerbaijan Parliamentary Cooperation Committee
- 20.09.2016Solution to Palestinian issue of great importance for Israel – Foreign Ministry
- 20.09.2016Visit to Azerbaijan among Netanyahu’s priorities - Israeli MFA
- 19.09.2016Turkish Parliament Speaker: "Azerbaijan takes necessary measures against FETO"
- 19.09.2016Iran always supported Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity – ambassador
- 19.09.2016Azerbaijani FM on working visit in New York
- 19.09.2016NAM Summit Final Document adopted
- 18.09.2016NAM Summit Final Document expresses support for Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 17.09.2016Azerbaijani President: "We carry out large-scale projects with the CIS countries"
- 16.09.2016Official of US Department of State thanks Azerbaijan for close cooperation
- 16.09.2016President Ilham Aliyev attending CIS Council of Heads of State meeting
- 16.09.2016Iran ready to act intermediary in resolving Karabakh conflict – ambassador
- 16.09.2016Azerbaijani president meet with Moldovan PM
- 16.09.2016Azerbaijan, Mexico to hold political consultations
- 16.09.2016Azerbaijani president arrives in Kyrgyzstan
- 16.09.2016French research company conducts opinion survey in Azerbaijan on eve of referendum
- 05.09.2014Deputy Head of Azerbaijan’s Presidential Administration: At this meeting, the first time ever I saw a more serious interest by the US in the conflict settlement
- 05.09.2014Erdogan raises Karabakh issue at NATO summit
- 05.09.2014Motions aiming to put illegal occupation of Nagorno-Karabakh and other occupied territories of Azerbaijan on PACE agenda finally adopted by PACE Bureau in Paris
- 05.09.2014Deputy Head of Azerbaijani Presidential Administration: Serzh Sargsyan is in a deranged state of mind
- 05.09.2014Azerbaijan’s Consul General in Los Angeles meets with Chairman of Foreign Affairs Committee in US House of Representatives
- 05.09.2014Trilateral meeting held between presidents of Azerbaijan, Armenia and Secretary of State - UPDATED