Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s external debt less than 20% of GDP - UPDATED
Azerbaijan has passed a path of successful development in a short period, said Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev.
“Since 2004, our economy has grown more than three times, and about 2 million jobs have been created. The poverty level in the country has reduced to 5 percent. The level of literacy in the country is close to 100 percent,” President Aliyev said addressing 9th Summit of the Developing Eight Organization for Economic Cooperation (D-8) in Istanbul on Oct. 20, APA reported.
He pointed out that Azerbaijan’s foreign currency reserves are equal to its GDP, and the country’s external debt is less than 20 percent of its GDP.
“The successes of Azerbaijan are also assessed by international organizations. Azerbaijan ranks 35th in the Global Competitiveness Report 2017-2018 published by the Davos Economic Forum,” said the president.
The head of state noted that Azerbaijan is an initiator and an active participant of international projects.
“Today, together with our partners, we are implementing the Southern Gas Corridor project. This is one of the largest infrastructure projects on a global scale,” the president said.
He recalled that Azerbaijan and Turkey signed an agreement on the Trans-Anatolian Natural Gas Pipeline (TANAP), a major part of the Southern Gas Corridor, in Istanbul in 2012. “This pipeline will be put into operation next year,” said the president.
President Aliyev went on to say that the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway, which will soon be commissioned, will be the shortest route between Europe and Asia.
The president also said that Azerbaijan invests heavily in the creation of the East-West and North-South transport corridors which will open up new opportunities for the economic development of Eurasia.
The 9th Summit of the Developing Eight Organization for Economic Cooperation (D-8) is underway in Istanbul.
Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev who is attending the Summit as a special guest, has addressed the summit.
Later on, reports of the 16th, 17th and special sessions of the D-8 Council were heard, and the issues on the agenda were discussed.
Related news releases
- 20.11.2017Top diplomats from Caspian states to meet in Moscow on December 4-5
- 20.11.2017New EU strategy puts emphasis on ties with neighboring countries – envoy
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, Russian FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 20.11.2017Baku to host meeting of Russia-Azerbaijan intergovernmental commission on military-technical co-op
- 20.11.2017Lavrov comments on possible creation of Azerbaijan-Turkey-Russia co-op format
- 20.11.2017Lavrov: ‘Menu’ on Karabakh conflict settlement on negotiating table
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, Pakistani, Turkish FMs to meet in Baku
- 20.11.2017Russia to host ministerial meeting on Caspian Sea legal status
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijan, Russia sign document on 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations
- 20.11.2017Russia would welcome Azerbaijan’s accession to Eurasian Economic Union, says Lavrov
- 20.11.2017Lavrov: Russia, Azerbaijan are strategic partners
- 19.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev received delegation led by Russian FM
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Latvian counterpart
- 17.11.2017Meeting of EU-Azerbaijan subcommittee on cooperation to take place in December
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM says talks on new agreement with EU can be finished next year
- 17.11.2017Booking.com restarts illegal hotel reservations in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 17.11.2017Deputy FM: We try Azerbaijan’s position to be reflected in EaP summit declaration
- 17.11.2017UNICEF regional director to visit Azerbaijan
- 17.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Uzbek deputy PM
- 16.11.2017U.S. actively works with Azerbaijan towards ensuring global energy security – ambassador
- 16.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Kazakh first deputy PM
- 16.11.2017Moscow: Lavrov to discuss bilateral relations in Baku
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE MG co-chairs in Moscow
- 16.11.2017Uzbek defense minister in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani, Brazilian FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates Borut Pahor on reelection as Slovenian president
- 15.11.2017UK ambassadors from regional countries to hold conference in Baku
- 15.11.2017Brazil’s position on violation of sovereignty in world based on long-term policy – FM
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan, Brazil agree to expand bilateral ties
- 15.11.2017FM: Brazil supports Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 15.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by Brazilian FM
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani president receives Moldovan interior minister - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017A reception is held in Paris in honor of the nomination of Baku as a candidate city for the exhibition "Ехpо 2025"
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani President sends congratulatory letter to Palestinian President
- 14.11.2017FM Mammadyarov receives governor of Egypt’s South Sinai
- 14.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: CoE secretary general’s activity caused artificial crisis with Azerbaijan
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani FM receives incoming Sudanese ambassador
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani FM to visit Moscow on Nov. 16
- 14.11.2017Brazilian FM to visit Azerbaijan
- 13.11.2017Azerbaijani FM receives outgoing ambassador of Bulgaria
- 20.10.2017Austrian ambassador: Azerbaijan and Armenia can not be forced into one way of solution - INTERVIEW
- 20.10.2017Kubiv: Positivity in Kiev-Baku relations bothers some inside and outside of Ukraine
- 21.10.2017Pan-African Parliament’s President to visit Azerbaijan
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani president ends visit to Turkey
- 20.10.2017MP Samad Seyidov criticizes Ukrainian colleagues for voting against Azerbaijan at PACE
- 20.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends D8 Summit in Istanbul