Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s external debt less than 20% of GDP - UPDATED
Azerbaijan has passed a path of successful development in a short period, said Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev.
“Since 2004, our economy has grown more than three times, and about 2 million jobs have been created. The poverty level in the country has reduced to 5 percent. The level of literacy in the country is close to 100 percent,” President Aliyev said addressing 9th Summit of the Developing Eight Organization for Economic Cooperation (D-8) in Istanbul on Oct. 20, APA reported.
He pointed out that Azerbaijan’s foreign currency reserves are equal to its GDP, and the country’s external debt is less than 20 percent of its GDP.
“The successes of Azerbaijan are also assessed by international organizations. Azerbaijan ranks 35th in the Global Competitiveness Report 2017-2018 published by the Davos Economic Forum,” said the president.
The head of state noted that Azerbaijan is an initiator and an active participant of international projects.
“Today, together with our partners, we are implementing the Southern Gas Corridor project. This is one of the largest infrastructure projects on a global scale,” the president said.
He recalled that Azerbaijan and Turkey signed an agreement on the Trans-Anatolian Natural Gas Pipeline (TANAP), a major part of the Southern Gas Corridor, in Istanbul in 2012. “This pipeline will be put into operation next year,” said the president.
President Aliyev went on to say that the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway, which will soon be commissioned, will be the shortest route between Europe and Asia.
The president also said that Azerbaijan invests heavily in the creation of the East-West and North-South transport corridors which will open up new opportunities for the economic development of Eurasia.
The 9th Summit of the Developing Eight Organization for Economic Cooperation (D-8) is underway in Istanbul.
Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev who is attending the Summit as a special guest, has addressed the summit.
Later on, reports of the 16th, 17th and special sessions of the D-8 Council were heard, and the issues on the agenda were discussed.
Related news releases
- 22.02.2018OSCE PA special rep. on South Caucasus resigns
- 22.02.2018Ceremony of laying first border markers on Azerbaijani-Russian border held - UPDATED
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan's FM to address UN Human Rights Council's session
- 22.02.2018MFA: Appeals sent to int'l organizations for monitoring Azerbaijan presidential election
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan, Russia mulling border demarcation
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA, Prosecutor General’s Office issue joint statement on Sumgayit disturbances
- 21.02.2018Envoy Cekuta: U.S. supports transparent and credible electoral process
- 21.02.2018Ilham Aliyev receives ex-president of Dutch Senate
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani president receives Iran’s defense minister
- 21.02.2018Baku reacts to statement of French Foreign Ministry
- 20.02.2018Sergey Lebedev to lead CIS observation mission in Azerbaijan presidential election - UPDATED
- 20.02.2018Outgoing Czech ambassador to Azerbaijan to serve as envoy to Russia
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan names new ambassador to Jordan
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan appoints new consul in Batumi
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan mull energy cooperation
- 19.02.2018Montenegrin president to attend 6th Global Baku Forum
- 19.02.2018ODIHR needs assessment mission to arrive in Baku on Feb. 21 - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018PACE to decide on sending mission for observation of Azerbaijan presidential election in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Armenia’s hypocritical position is key impediment to achieving progress in Karabakh talks - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018EU special rep. for South Caucasus arrives in Baku
- 17.02.2018Baku hosts event in support of Turkey’s Afrin op
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM attends roundtable at Munich Security Conference
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia's speaking of peace is a 'clear hypocrisy'
- 16.02.2018Baku reacts to Russian MFA spokesperson’s remarks
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE chairman
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan invites int’l observers to monitor upcoming presidential election – EU envoy
- 16.02.201854th Munich Security Conference to start today
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president: New agreement with EU to create a new co-op format
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Donald Trump
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Italian deputy economic development minister
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend Munich Security Conference
- 15.02.2018Summit of Caspian states to take place in 2H18
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Serbian counterpart
- 14.02.2018GUAM to send observation mission for upcoming presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 14.02.2018Another member of "Music for Peace" project off Azerbaijan’s ‘black list’
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijan excludes another Russian musician from “blacklist”
- 14.02.2018Ali Hasanov: Legal proceedings to be initiated against organizers, executors of anti-Azerbaijani campaign
- 14.02.2018Russian musician Vitaly Vatulya removed from Azerbaijan’s ‘blacklist’
- 14.02.2018FM: Co-op with EU does not affect Azerbaijan’s friendly ties with Russia
- 14.02.2018Council of Europe receives invitations from Azerbaijan to observe technical preparation meetings for presidential election
- 20.10.2017Austrian ambassador: Azerbaijan and Armenia can not be forced into one way of solution - INTERVIEW
- 20.10.2017Kubiv: Positivity in Kiev-Baku relations bothers some inside and outside of Ukraine
- 21.10.2017Pan-African Parliament’s President to visit Azerbaijan
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani president ends visit to Turkey
- 20.10.2017MP Samad Seyidov criticizes Ukrainian colleagues for voting against Azerbaijan at PACE
- 20.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends D8 Summit in Istanbul