Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s external debt less than 20% of GDP - UPDATED
Azerbaijan has passed a path of successful development in a short period, said Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev.
“Since 2004, our economy has grown more than three times, and about 2 million jobs have been created. The poverty level in the country has reduced to 5 percent. The level of literacy in the country is close to 100 percent,” President Aliyev said addressing 9th Summit of the Developing Eight Organization for Economic Cooperation (D-8) in Istanbul on Oct. 20, APA reported.
He pointed out that Azerbaijan’s foreign currency reserves are equal to its GDP, and the country’s external debt is less than 20 percent of its GDP.
“The successes of Azerbaijan are also assessed by international organizations. Azerbaijan ranks 35th in the Global Competitiveness Report 2017-2018 published by the Davos Economic Forum,” said the president.
The head of state noted that Azerbaijan is an initiator and an active participant of international projects.
“Today, together with our partners, we are implementing the Southern Gas Corridor project. This is one of the largest infrastructure projects on a global scale,” the president said.
He recalled that Azerbaijan and Turkey signed an agreement on the Trans-Anatolian Natural Gas Pipeline (TANAP), a major part of the Southern Gas Corridor, in Istanbul in 2012. “This pipeline will be put into operation next year,” said the president.
President Aliyev went on to say that the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway, which will soon be commissioned, will be the shortest route between Europe and Asia.
The president also said that Azerbaijan invests heavily in the creation of the East-West and North-South transport corridors which will open up new opportunities for the economic development of Eurasia.
The 9th Summit of the Developing Eight Organization for Economic Cooperation (D-8) is underway in Istanbul.
Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev who is attending the Summit as a special guest, has addressed the summit.
Later on, reports of the 16th, 17th and special sessions of the D-8 Council were heard, and the issues on the agenda were discussed.
Related news releases
- 18.06.2018Baku: No Azerbaijani nationals among Japan earthquake victims
- 15.06.2018Vice-Speaker: Georgia's failure to attend TANAP opening ceremony was due to domestic political situation in the country
- 14.06.2018Delegation of Nizami Ganjavi International Center meets Israeli defense minister
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani flag hoisted outside Philadelphia Mayor’s Office
- 13.06.2018Donald Trump congratulates Ilham Aliyev on Eid al-Fitr
- 13.06.2018Process of border delimitation with Georgia ‘relatively passive’, says Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2018Putin: Political co-op between Russia, Azerbaijan is stable
- 13.06.2018Summit of Caspian states planned to be held in first half of August – Azerbaijani diplomat
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Russia again on Aug. 30 – Putin
- 13.06.2018PACE Monitoring Committee to appoint new co-rapporteur on Azerbaijan on June 28
- 13.06.2018PACE to appoint rapporteur for preparation of report on “political prisoners in Azerbaijan”
- 13.06.2018Matthew Bryza: TANAP has turned Azerbaijan into a key player in global energy market - INTERVIEW
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani President pays working visit to Russia
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Ukraine
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan invites Ukraine to join Southern Gas Corridor project
- 12.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets BP CEO - UPDATED
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani, Ukrainian presidents meet in Turkey
- 11.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Vladimir Putin
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijan grants temporary residence permits to over 3,000 foreigners in May
- 11.06.2018No plan for Azerbaijani, Armenian leaders to meet in Moscow – Yerevan
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijani president to attend FIFA World Cup opening ceremony in Russia
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev accepted credentials of incoming Bulgarian ambassador - UPDATED
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev received credentials of incoming Peruvian ambassador - UPDATED
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev received credentials of incoming Russian ambassador - UPDATED
- 09.06.2018Samad Seyidov: There is possibility of pressure on Azerbaijan under the name of “political prisoner”
- 09.06.2018Azerbaijan plays crucial role in geopolitical, transport and energy issues: ACRE
- 09.06.2018ACRE calls for end to anti-Azerbaijani decisions in Council of Europe
- 09.06.2018Baku Summit of Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe kicks off
- 08.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Queen Elizabeth II
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijan’s Cabinet of Ministers holds expanded meeting
- 08.06.2018Ilham Aliyev receives president of Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani FM receives incoming Russian ambassador
- 08.06.2018U.S. welcomes TANAP completion – diplomat
- 08.06.2018Incoming U.S. ambassador to Azerbaijan not named yet, diplomat says
- 08.06.2018Gambia supports Azerbaijan’s position on Karabakh conflict settlement – FM
- 08.06.2018FM: Gambian president resolutely condemns occupation of Azerbaijani lands by Armenia - UPDATED
- 08.06.2018Russia’s new ambassador to Azerbaijan arrives in Baku
- 07.06.2018Queen Elizabeth's birthday celebrated in Baku
- 07.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Turkey on June 12
- 07.06.2018U.S. Embassy in Azerbaijan hosts iftar dinner for Masalli women entrepreneurs
- 16.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Turkey to continue to implement major projects this year - UPDATED
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijani and French FMs met in Paris - UPDATED
- 17.01.2018PUIC starts its 13th Session
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev: Bulgaria and Azerbaijan will continue to cooperate successfully
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev has dinner with Bulgarian PM Boyko Borissov
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM make press statements