President Aliyev: Strengthening of Islamic solidarity among Azerbaijan’s foreign policy priorities
Azerbaijan supports resolutions and decisions that meet the interests of all Muslim countries in international organizations, and has been the initiator of many of them, said Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev.
He made the remarks on Thursday during a meeting with heads of diplomatic missions and ambassadors of Muslim countries to Azerbaijan on the occasion of month of Ramadan, APA reports.
The head of state noted that the Organization of Islamic Cooperation welcomes Azerbaijan’s activities in this direction.
"[The OIC] has repeatedly stated that Azerbaijan plays a very important role in terms of Islamic solidarity,” said President Aliyev, emphasizing that strengthening of Islamic solidarity is one of the main priorities of Azerbaijan’s foreign policy.
“We are an active OIC member. As you know, last year was declared the ‘Year of Islamic Solidarity’ in Azerbaijan. The 4th Islamic Solidarity Games was held in Baku with the participation of Muslim countries. These games were not just a sporting event, but also a demonstration of unity of the Islamic world, so we must work to unite the Islamic world further," he added.
The president said that this year Nakhchivan, an ancient Azerbaijani city, was declared the ‘capital of the Islamic culture.’
"It is now the second time that an Azerbaijani city has been granted this honorable title. Baku was the first to be granted this title. This makes us very happy. It shows that the entire Muslim world recognizes Nakhchivan as ancient Azerbaijani land, Muslim land,” he said.
Azerbaijani monuments located in Nakhchivan are of great importance for all Muslim community, President Aliyev noted.
“As you know, Azerbaijan also plays an important role in the representation of Islam culture in the world. Exhibitions, presentations, other cultural events held in many European countries promote Islamic culture, embody Islamic values. We will further continue this policy,” the head of state added.
Related news releases
- 19.06.2018Russian State Duma chairman to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.06.2018UN High Commissioner for Human Rights calls Azerbaijan actively cooperating country
- 19.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament speaker to visit China
- 18.06.2018Baku: No Azerbaijani nationals among Japan earthquake victims
- 15.06.2018Vice-Speaker: Georgia's failure to attend TANAP opening ceremony was due to domestic political situation in the country
- 14.06.2018Delegation of Nizami Ganjavi International Center meets Israeli defense minister
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani flag hoisted outside Philadelphia Mayor’s Office
- 13.06.2018Donald Trump congratulates Ilham Aliyev on Eid al-Fitr
- 13.06.2018Process of border delimitation with Georgia ‘relatively passive’, says Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2018Putin: Political co-op between Russia, Azerbaijan is stable
- 13.06.2018Summit of Caspian states planned to be held in first half of August – Azerbaijani diplomat
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Russia again on Aug. 30 – Putin
- 13.06.2018PACE Monitoring Committee to appoint new co-rapporteur on Azerbaijan on June 28
- 13.06.2018PACE to appoint rapporteur for preparation of report on “political prisoners in Azerbaijan”
- 13.06.2018Matthew Bryza: TANAP has turned Azerbaijan into a key player in global energy market - INTERVIEW
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani President pays working visit to Russia
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Ukraine
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan invites Ukraine to join Southern Gas Corridor project
- 12.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets BP CEO - UPDATED
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani, Ukrainian presidents meet in Turkey
- 11.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Vladimir Putin
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijan grants temporary residence permits to over 3,000 foreigners in May
- 11.06.2018No plan for Azerbaijani, Armenian leaders to meet in Moscow – Yerevan
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijani president to attend FIFA World Cup opening ceremony in Russia
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev accepted credentials of incoming Bulgarian ambassador - UPDATED
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev received credentials of incoming Peruvian ambassador - UPDATED
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev received credentials of incoming Russian ambassador - UPDATED
- 09.06.2018Samad Seyidov: There is possibility of pressure on Azerbaijan under the name of “political prisoner”
- 09.06.2018Azerbaijan plays crucial role in geopolitical, transport and energy issues: ACRE
- 09.06.2018ACRE calls for end to anti-Azerbaijani decisions in Council of Europe
- 09.06.2018Baku Summit of Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe kicks off
- 08.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Queen Elizabeth II
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijan’s Cabinet of Ministers holds expanded meeting
- 08.06.2018Ilham Aliyev receives president of Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani FM receives incoming Russian ambassador
- 08.06.2018U.S. welcomes TANAP completion – diplomat
- 08.06.2018Incoming U.S. ambassador to Azerbaijan not named yet, diplomat says
- 08.06.2018Gambia supports Azerbaijan’s position on Karabakh conflict settlement – FM
- 08.06.2018FM: Gambian president resolutely condemns occupation of Azerbaijani lands by Armenia - UPDATED
- 08.06.2018Russia’s new ambassador to Azerbaijan arrives in Baku
- 31.05.2018Azerbaijan Business Center opens in Astrakhan
- 31.05.2018Azerbaijan says ready for substantive talks with Armenia
- 31.05.2018MFA: Azerbaijan recognizes Georgia’s territorial integrity, sovereignty
- 31.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives U.S. Deputy Assistant Secretary of State - UPDATED
- 31.05.2018Azerbaijani, Ukrainian FMs meet in New York
- 31.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives envoys, heads of diplomatic missions of Muslim countries