Polad Bulbuloglu: Today, UNESCO needs a resolute person who can offer new ideas
Bulbuloglu told reporters that all candidates for the post of secretary general are very strong.
"I would say that this is a political struggle and a struggle of ideas and proposals. Geopolitics is very important. We still have five months ahead, so we’ll see how things develop. In any case, we will work to win," the diplomat said.
Regarding the criticism of his knowledge of English during his speech at the meeting of the organization in Paris, Bulbuloglu said that he speaks English just as well as many ministers of culture.
"The language issue is controversial, because, as in UNESCO and in the United Nations, there are 6 major languages, including Russian, which I perfectly master. There were demands for English and French, but I will not speak about the legitimacy of this requirement. In any case, I answered the questions.
I'm not a native speaker as British people. We have 5 months ahead and I'm preparing. Moreover, when a person gets into the work environment, the language improves naturally.
The important thing is, what a person has on his mind and what ideas he can offer, given what difficulties UNESCO has right now. Today UNESCO needs a resolute person who can offer new ideas, approaches, and reforms. I have huge experience of crisis management. I was a Minister of Culture in the period the USSR collapsed. For several years there was no funding, but we did not shut down any libraries, museums, or theaters in Azerbaijan. We preserved all of the infrastructure,” he said.
The diplomat also answered a question about the hysteria in the Armenian society regarding the nomination of his candidacy for the post of UNESCO Director General, saying that there is nothing else to expect from Armenians.
“There is an Armenian church in downtown Baku, which was restored at public expense. It stores more than 5000 books in Armenian, some of which cannot even be found in Armenia. Azerbaijan helps the Christian world to restore monuments. Can such a country purposefully destroy something? This is another trick of propaganda by our neighbors," he noted.
Related news releases
- 25.07.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates presidents of Liberia and Maldives
- 24.07.2017Azerbaijani, Hungarian FMs meet
- 22.07.2017Azerbaijani, Russian presidents discuss Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 21.07.2017Meeting of Presidents of Russia and Azerbaijan held in Sochi
- 21.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in Russia for working visit
- 21.07.2017Egyptian embassy organizes official reception in Baku
- 21.07.2017Communiqué on closure of Al-Aqsa Mosque adopted at Baku conference
- 21.07.2017Ambassador: Protraction of Jerusalem problem indicates existence of double standards in int’l policy
- 21.07.2017Azerbaijani FM receives outgoing Hungarian ambassador
- 21.07.2017MFA: No Azerbaijani citizens injured in earthquake in Turkey, Greece
- 21.07.2017Russian, Azerbaijani presidents to meet in Sochi – Kremlin
- 21.07.2017Azerbaijan allocates $5M for development of infrastructure in East al-Quds
- 20.07.2017Firudin Hajiyev awarded Order ‘For Service to the Motherland’
- 20.07.2017FM Mammadyarov: OIC – a ‘unique platform’ for Azerbaijan in advancing cooperation with Muslim world
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijani FM receives outgoing Tajik ambassador
- 20.07.2017Int’l conference on question of Jerusalem kicks off in Baku
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijan names new ambassador to China
- 19.07.2017Baku-Tbilisi-Kars project to open up great opportunities – Azerbaijani FM
- 19.07.2017FM: Turkmenistan intends to expand relations with Azerbaijan, Turkey
- 19.07.2017Ashgabat to host fifth trilateral meeting of Azerbaijani, Turkmen, Turkish FMs
- 19.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Turkish FM - UPDATED
- 19.07.2017Ambassador: Czech Republic interested in co-op with Azerbaijan within Eastern Partnership
- 19.07.2017Visegrad Four supports soonest signing of Azerbaijan-EU deal on strategic partnership
- 19.07.2017Czech Senate delegation to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.07.2017Eastern Partnership countries’ FMs to meet in September
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijani president to visit Hungary in October
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish FMs meet in Baku
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijani, Turkmen FMs mull co-op prospects
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijani, Turkmen, Turkish FMs hold meeting in Baku
- 18.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan interested in expanding ties with Turkmenistan in all areas - UPDATED
- 18.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Austrian delegation - UPDATED
- 18.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev completes official visit to Latvia
- 17.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev: "From now on Latvia and Azerbaijan are considered strategic partners"
- 17.07.2017Latvian President hosted official reception for President of Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan hopes for positive appellate court decision on VAK
- 17.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets speaker of Latvian parliament
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan-Latvia business forum held in Riga
- 17.07.2017Latvian president: Azerbaijan-EU ties to take more concrete form at Eastern Partnership summit
- 17.07.2017Final document on Caspian Sea’s status nearly 80% agreed - Azerbaijani FM
- 17.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-EU relations developing successfully
- 08.05.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates France’s President-elect Macron
- 08.05.2017Putin sends congratulatory letter to Azerbaijani president
- 08.05.2017Azerbaijan says propaganda and glorification of fascism has become Armenia’s state policy
- 06.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets delegation led by Turkish minister
- 06.05.2017Baku comments on closure of OSCE Yerevan office
- 06.05.2017CMO chairman: Clashes taking place in Muslim countries ‘result of Western policy’