Polad Bulbuloglu: Today, UNESCO needs a resolute person who can offer new ideas
Bulbuloglu told reporters that all candidates for the post of secretary general are very strong.
"I would say that this is a political struggle and a struggle of ideas and proposals. Geopolitics is very important. We still have five months ahead, so we’ll see how things develop. In any case, we will work to win," the diplomat said.
Regarding the criticism of his knowledge of English during his speech at the meeting of the organization in Paris, Bulbuloglu said that he speaks English just as well as many ministers of culture.
"The language issue is controversial, because, as in UNESCO and in the United Nations, there are 6 major languages, including Russian, which I perfectly master. There were demands for English and French, but I will not speak about the legitimacy of this requirement. In any case, I answered the questions.
I'm not a native speaker as British people. We have 5 months ahead and I'm preparing. Moreover, when a person gets into the work environment, the language improves naturally.
The important thing is, what a person has on his mind and what ideas he can offer, given what difficulties UNESCO has right now. Today UNESCO needs a resolute person who can offer new ideas, approaches, and reforms. I have huge experience of crisis management. I was a Minister of Culture in the period the USSR collapsed. For several years there was no funding, but we did not shut down any libraries, museums, or theaters in Azerbaijan. We preserved all of the infrastructure,” he said.
The diplomat also answered a question about the hysteria in the Armenian society regarding the nomination of his candidacy for the post of UNESCO Director General, saying that there is nothing else to expect from Armenians.
“There is an Armenian church in downtown Baku, which was restored at public expense. It stores more than 5000 books in Armenian, some of which cannot even be found in Armenia. Azerbaijan helps the Christian world to restore monuments. Can such a country purposefully destroy something? This is another trick of propaganda by our neighbors," he noted.
Related news releases
- 25.09.2017Azerbaijani FM meets with UNRWA commissioner-general in New York
- 24.09.2017Elmar Mammadyarov had bilateral meeting with the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Bahrain
- 23.09.2017Azerbaijan, Vanuatu establish diplomatic relations
- 23.09.2017OSCE PA’s Special Representative to visit Azerbaijan
- 23.09.2017Azerbaijan attaches primary importance to promotion of intercultural, interreligious dialogue – FM Mammadyarov
- 23.09.2017Azerbaijan says it will never reconcile with occupation of its territories
- 23.09.2017Azerbaijani President send congratulatory letter to King of Saudi Arabia
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijani foreign minister attends GUAM-Japan ministerial meeting
- 22.09.2017Armenian MPs to go sightseeing in Baku
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijani deputy education minister blames Armenian MP for making false remarks at Baku conference
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijan calls on EU to display ‘decisive stance’ against Armenia
- 22.09.2017GUAM countries interested in development of mutually beneficial co-op with US
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijan says energy co-op with EU has reached level of strategic partnership
- 22.09.2017NATO Secretary General's Special Representative to visit Azerbaijan
- 21.09.2017Armenian MPs to attend Euronest PA conference in Baku
- 21.09.2017Turkic Council foreign ministers meet in New York
- 21.09.2017Work underway to bring home Azerbaijani children found in territories freed from ISIL
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijan preparing for Eastern Partnership summit: deputy FM
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijan says ‘no serious progress’ in talks with WTO
- 21.09.2017EU-Azerbaijan subcommittee on trade to hold meeting in Brussels
- 21.09.2017New Azerbaijan-EU deal unlikely to be signed by year-end – deputy FM
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijan, EU to mull new partnership priorities in late September
- 21.09.2017Tehran to host discussions on Caspian Sea’s legal status
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijani FM: Non-Aligned Movement plays crucial role in maintaining int’l peace
- 20.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres in New York
- 20.09.2017President: Since 2004, Azerbaijan’s economy has grown more than threefold
- 20.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan plays important role on global energy market
- 20.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Development of democracy, human rights protection among Azerbaijan’s top priorities
- 20.09.2017Chairman of EU Political and Security Committee to visit Azerbaijan
- 20.09.2017Jankauskas announces date of next round of EU-Azerbaijan talks on new deal - UPDATED
- 20.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev to address UN General Assembly
- 20.09.2017FM: Azerbaijan supports lasting solution to Israeli-Palestinian conflict
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijani President attends state banquet at UN headquarters
- 20.09.2017Benjamin Netanyahu: “Israel expanded corporation with Azerbaijan" - VIDEO
- 19.09.2017China, Azerbaijan consider education a priority area – ambassador
- 19.09.2017PACE co-rapporteurs make statement following their visit to Azerbaijan
- 19.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with representatives of American Jewish organizations in New York
- 18.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets with chairman of Foundation for Ethnic Understanding in New York
- 17.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in the United States for visit
- 15.09.2017First Vice President Mehriban Aliyeva meets with French Minister of State attached to Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs
- 08.05.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates France’s President-elect Macron
- 08.05.2017Putin sends congratulatory letter to Azerbaijani president
- 08.05.2017Azerbaijan says propaganda and glorification of fascism has become Armenia’s state policy
- 06.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets delegation led by Turkish minister
- 06.05.2017Baku comments on closure of OSCE Yerevan office
- 06.05.2017CMO chairman: Clashes taking place in Muslim countries ‘result of Western policy’