Polad Bulbuloglu: Today, UNESCO needs a resolute person who can offer new ideas
Bulbuloglu told reporters that all candidates for the post of secretary general are very strong.
"I would say that this is a political struggle and a struggle of ideas and proposals. Geopolitics is very important. We still have five months ahead, so we’ll see how things develop. In any case, we will work to win," the diplomat said.
Regarding the criticism of his knowledge of English during his speech at the meeting of the organization in Paris, Bulbuloglu said that he speaks English just as well as many ministers of culture.
"The language issue is controversial, because, as in UNESCO and in the United Nations, there are 6 major languages, including Russian, which I perfectly master. There were demands for English and French, but I will not speak about the legitimacy of this requirement. In any case, I answered the questions.
I'm not a native speaker as British people. We have 5 months ahead and I'm preparing. Moreover, when a person gets into the work environment, the language improves naturally.
The important thing is, what a person has on his mind and what ideas he can offer, given what difficulties UNESCO has right now. Today UNESCO needs a resolute person who can offer new ideas, approaches, and reforms. I have huge experience of crisis management. I was a Minister of Culture in the period the USSR collapsed. For several years there was no funding, but we did not shut down any libraries, museums, or theaters in Azerbaijan. We preserved all of the infrastructure,” he said.
The diplomat also answered a question about the hysteria in the Armenian society regarding the nomination of his candidacy for the post of UNESCO Director General, saying that there is nothing else to expect from Armenians.
“There is an Armenian church in downtown Baku, which was restored at public expense. It stores more than 5000 books in Armenian, some of which cannot even be found in Armenia. Azerbaijan helps the Christian world to restore monuments. Can such a country purposefully destroy something? This is another trick of propaganda by our neighbors," he noted.
Related news releases
- 25.04.2018Romanian president congratulates Azerbaijani president
- 25.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev completes official visit to Turkey
- 25.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Turkey-Azerbaijan joint projects are of great economic and political significance
- 25.04.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijan is increasing its military power also at expense of Turkish defense products
- 25.04.2018Turkey is one of world’s powers: Azerbaijani president
- 25.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Turkey brotherhood, friendship has great future
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijan, Turkey ink six documents
- 25.04.2018Erdogan says hopes he will make first foreign visit to Azerbaijan as president after June 24 elections
- 25.04.2018Ankara hosts Azerbaijan-Turkey High-Level Strategic Cooperation Council meeting
- 25.04.2018Israeli envoy visits Guba Genocide Memorial Complex
- 25.04.2018Turkish parliament speaker: Ilham Aliyev is important person for region and whole world
- 25.04.2018Meeting of Azerbaijani, Turkish presidents kicks off in Ankara
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijani president officially welcomed in Ankara
- 25.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits Anitkabir in Ankara
- 25.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: No countries in world are as close to each other as Azerbaijan and Turkey
- 25.04.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish presidents dined together
- 24.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits Heydar Aliyev Park in Ankara
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani president arrives in Turkey on official visit
- 24.04.2018UN secretary general congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 24.04.2018France’s Macron congratulates President Ilham Aliyev on presidential election victory
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijan’s consul general addresses Los Angeles Baha’i community
- 24.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian foreign intelligence chief
- 23.04.2018Azarbaijan's president to visit Turkey on Tuesday
- 23.04.2018Samad Seyidov: I’ve been in PACE for 18 years and no one can accuse me of corruption
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Afghan counterpart
- 23.04.2018Pakistani president congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 23.04.2018Israeli PM Netanyahu congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 23.04.2018Russian minister: Stability in Azerbaijan is of great importance
- 23.04.2018PACE spring session kicks off today
- 21.04.2018Georgian PM congratulates Novruz Mammadov
- 21.04.2018TANAP, TAP to play important role in ensuring Europe’s energy security – Turkish minister
- 21.04.2018Plight of Azerbaijani IDPs to be highlighted at PACE spring session
- 20.04.2018Baku: Belgian MPs’ acting as supporters of Kaspar Karampetian causes regret
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani Emergency Situations Ministry hosts meeting with foreign military attaches
- 20.04.2018King of Saudi Arabia congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 20.04.2018Miroslav Lajčák: UN’s success in preventing conflict should be the norm – not the exception
- 20.04.2018German president congratulates Ilham Aliyev on re-election as Azerbaijani president
- 19.04.2018Mohammed VI, King of Morocco congratulates Ilham Aliyev on re-election as Azerbaijani president
- 19.04.2018Zakharova: We're glad that there is an unbiased view of Skripal issue in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.2018Zakharova: Relations with Azerbaijan a foreign policy priority for Russia
- 08.05.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates France’s President-elect Macron
- 08.05.2017Putin sends congratulatory letter to Azerbaijani president
- 08.05.2017Azerbaijan says propaganda and glorification of fascism has become Armenia’s state policy
- 06.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets delegation led by Turkish minister
- 06.05.2017Baku comments on closure of OSCE Yerevan office
- 06.05.2017CMO chairman: Clashes taking place in Muslim countries ‘result of Western policy’