Polad Bulbuloglu: Today, UNESCO needs a resolute person who can offer new ideas
Bulbuloglu told reporters that all candidates for the post of secretary general are very strong.
"I would say that this is a political struggle and a struggle of ideas and proposals. Geopolitics is very important. We still have five months ahead, so we’ll see how things develop. In any case, we will work to win," the diplomat said.
Regarding the criticism of his knowledge of English during his speech at the meeting of the organization in Paris, Bulbuloglu said that he speaks English just as well as many ministers of culture.
"The language issue is controversial, because, as in UNESCO and in the United Nations, there are 6 major languages, including Russian, which I perfectly master. There were demands for English and French, but I will not speak about the legitimacy of this requirement. In any case, I answered the questions.
I'm not a native speaker as British people. We have 5 months ahead and I'm preparing. Moreover, when a person gets into the work environment, the language improves naturally.
The important thing is, what a person has on his mind and what ideas he can offer, given what difficulties UNESCO has right now. Today UNESCO needs a resolute person who can offer new ideas, approaches, and reforms. I have huge experience of crisis management. I was a Minister of Culture in the period the USSR collapsed. For several years there was no funding, but we did not shut down any libraries, museums, or theaters in Azerbaijan. We preserved all of the infrastructure,” he said.
The diplomat also answered a question about the hysteria in the Armenian society regarding the nomination of his candidacy for the post of UNESCO Director General, saying that there is nothing else to expect from Armenians.
“There is an Armenian church in downtown Baku, which was restored at public expense. It stores more than 5000 books in Armenian, some of which cannot even be found in Armenia. Azerbaijan helps the Christian world to restore monuments. Can such a country purposefully destroy something? This is another trick of propaganda by our neighbors," he noted.
Related news releases
- 26.05.2017Azerbaijan condemns terror attack in Egypt
- 26.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan highly appreciates Trump’s speech at Arab Islamic American Summit
- 26.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani army among world's strong armies
- 26.05.2017Trump: Azerbaijan is valued partner of US
- 26.05.2017Mammadyarov: Azerbaijan is most interested party in earliest resolution of Karabakh conflict
- 26.05.2017West Hollywood proclaims May 28 as ‘Azerbaijan National Day’
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijan recalls ambassador from Switzerland
- 25.05.2017Putin: Azerbaijan plays important role in resolving pressing issues on int’l agenda
- 25.05.2017Russia says it has open dialogue with Azerbaijan
- 25.05.2017Document on illegal activities in Azerbaijan’s occupied lands circulated at UN
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijani FM meets with UN Secretary General
- 25.05.2017Republic Day of Azerbaijan celebrated in Los Angeles
- 24.05.2017Lukashenko: Azerbaijan’s high achievements are an example for many states
- 24.05.2017Queen Elizabeth II congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 24.05.2017Erdogan: Turkey highly appreciates Azerbaijan’s achievements in all areas
- 24.05.2017Pope Francis congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 24.05.2017Volume of US financial aid to Azerbaijan revealed
- 24.05.2017Azerbaijani president to visit Hungary
- 24.05.2017Armenian representative’s objection causes discontent in Euronest PA
- 24.05.2017UK envoy: Terrorism will never win
- 24.05.2017PACE co-rapporteurs to visit Azerbaijan
- 24.05.2017Azerbaijani FM leaves for New York
- 23.05.2017Kings of Sweden, Norway and Netherlands send congratulatory letter to Azerbaijani president
- 23.05.2017Frank-Walter Steinmeier sends congratulatory letter to Azerbaijani president
- 23.05.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s policy aimed at putting an end to conflicts between Muslim countries
- 23.05.2017MFA comments on anti-Azerbaijani article published in Russian state news agency
- 23.05.2017UK embassy in Azerbaijan to open book of condolences
- 23.05.2017Baku-Tbilisi-Kars project to change region’s fate - Turkish PM
- 23.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Theresa May
- 23.05.2017No Azerbaijanis among victims of Manchester explosion
- 23.05.2017Azerbaijan checking if its citizens among Manchester blast victims
- 22.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives UAE delegation - UPDATED
- 22.05.2017Azerbaijani FM briefs European Parliament delegation on settlement process of Karabakh conflict
- 22.05.2017BSEC summit ends with adoption of Istanbul Declaration
- 22.05.2017Erdogan: Some were suspicious that BSEC could continue to exist long
- 22.05.2017MP: Azerbaijan supports organizing peace platform between Armenia, Azerbaijan at European Parliament
- 22.05.2017Romanian investors seeking to expand relations with Azerbaijan, says envoy
- 22.05.2017European Parliament committee chair says Azerbaijan is a valuable partner for Europe
- 22.05.2017BSEC summit: Erdogan sharply reacts to Armenian deputy FM’s anti-Azerbaijani remarks
- 22.05.2017Parl’t speaker: Armenia violates regional security, stability by continuing occupation of Azerbaijani territories
- 08.05.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates France’s President-elect Macron
- 08.05.2017Putin sends congratulatory letter to Azerbaijani president
- 08.05.2017Azerbaijan says propaganda and glorification of fascism has become Armenia’s state policy
- 06.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets delegation led by Turkish minister
- 06.05.2017Baku comments on closure of OSCE Yerevan office
- 06.05.2017CMO chairman: Clashes taking place in Muslim countries ‘result of Western policy’