Polad Bulbuloglu: Today, UNESCO needs a resolute person who can offer new ideas
Bulbuloglu told reporters that all candidates for the post of secretary general are very strong.
"I would say that this is a political struggle and a struggle of ideas and proposals. Geopolitics is very important. We still have five months ahead, so we’ll see how things develop. In any case, we will work to win," the diplomat said.
Regarding the criticism of his knowledge of English during his speech at the meeting of the organization in Paris, Bulbuloglu said that he speaks English just as well as many ministers of culture.
"The language issue is controversial, because, as in UNESCO and in the United Nations, there are 6 major languages, including Russian, which I perfectly master. There were demands for English and French, but I will not speak about the legitimacy of this requirement. In any case, I answered the questions.
I'm not a native speaker as British people. We have 5 months ahead and I'm preparing. Moreover, when a person gets into the work environment, the language improves naturally.
The important thing is, what a person has on his mind and what ideas he can offer, given what difficulties UNESCO has right now. Today UNESCO needs a resolute person who can offer new ideas, approaches, and reforms. I have huge experience of crisis management. I was a Minister of Culture in the period the USSR collapsed. For several years there was no funding, but we did not shut down any libraries, museums, or theaters in Azerbaijan. We preserved all of the infrastructure,” he said.
The diplomat also answered a question about the hysteria in the Armenian society regarding the nomination of his candidacy for the post of UNESCO Director General, saying that there is nothing else to expect from Armenians.
“There is an Armenian church in downtown Baku, which was restored at public expense. It stores more than 5000 books in Armenian, some of which cannot even be found in Armenia. Azerbaijan helps the Christian world to restore monuments. Can such a country purposefully destroy something? This is another trick of propaganda by our neighbors," he noted.
Related news releases
- 20.01.2018Working group on Caspian legal status to meet in February
- 20.01.2018Azerbaijan, Georgia to hold talks on border delimitation
- 20.01.2018Azerbaijan, Russia to discuss state border demarcation
- 19.01.2018PACE Sub-Committee on Conflicts to be reconstituted
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijani delegation to attend PACE winter session
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Uzbek counterpart
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijani president to address Davos Economic Forum
- 17.01.2018EU-Azerbaijan comprehensive agreement to be discussed at European Parliament
- 17.01.2018PUIC starts its 13th Session
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijani and French FMs met in Paris - UPDATED
- 16.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Turkey to continue to implement major projects this year - UPDATED
- 16.01.2018Bulgarian PM completes Azerbaijan visit
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev: Bulgaria and Azerbaijan will continue to cooperate successfully
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev has dinner with Bulgarian PM Boyko Borissov
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM make press statements
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with French counterpart
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM hold expanded meeting
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president holds one-on-one meeting with Bulgarian PM
- 15.01.2018Iran’s Rouhani to visit Baku late March
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan-Moldova intergovernmental commission on economic co-op to meet in first half of 2018
- 15.01.2018Russia says satisfied with strategic partnership with Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Iranian counterpart
- 13.01.2018Azerbaijan stands firmly next to Turkey on all regional issues – envoy
- 12.01.2018Kestutis Jankauskas: "Negotiations on the aviation agreement between Azerbaijan and the EU are almost completed"
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijani, Swiss presidents to meet in Davos
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijan highly values Italy’s willingness to take responsibility of chairing OSCE at challenging period
- 11.01.2018Azerbaijan joins Framework Agreement on Facilitation of Cross-border Paperless Trade in Asia and the Pacific
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev extends condolences over death Georgia’s first ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 09.01.2018Bulgarian president phones President Ilham Aliyev
- 08.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming ambassadors - UPDATED
- 08.01.2018NATO official comments on upcoming high-level meeting with Russia in Baku
- 05.01.2018Samad Seyidov comments on change in composition of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE
- 04.01.2018Patriarch Kirill sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 04.01.2018Staff of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE changed - UPDATED
- 03.01.2018Azerbaijan and EU to hold next round of negotiations in February
- 30.12.2017We hope that conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia will be resolved in 2018 – Iranian spokesman
- 30.12.2017Putin congratulates Azerbaijani president
- 29.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives letter from Georgian counterpart
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani MPs slam Georgia’s intention to provide Armenia with access to Russia
- 29.12.2017Ambassador: Azerbaijan-Georgia economic cooperation yet to reach its potential - INTERVIEW
- 08.05.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates France’s President-elect Macron
- 08.05.2017Putin sends congratulatory letter to Azerbaijani president
- 08.05.2017Azerbaijan says propaganda and glorification of fascism has become Armenia’s state policy
- 06.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets delegation led by Turkish minister
- 06.05.2017Baku comments on closure of OSCE Yerevan office
- 06.05.2017CMO chairman: Clashes taking place in Muslim countries ‘result of Western policy’