Palestinian ambassador: Trump ‘added fuel to the fire’ - INTERVIEW
APA presents an interview with Palestinian Ambassador to Azerbaijan Nasser Abdul Kareem
Q: Mr. Ambassador, as you know, the United States opened its embassy in al-Quds (Jerusalem) yesterday. First of all, we would like to know your views in this regard.
A: This step by the U.S. set a dangerous precedent, which is a gross violation of international law, the UN resolutions and the official obligations of the United States. The U.S. has demonstrated its support for the Israeli racist, right-wing regime represented by the government of Netanyahu, who does not recognize the Palestinian people's right to live their homeland. Additionally, this step is a total disrespect to the feelings of millions of Muslims, Christians, and adherents of justice throughout the world.
Q: There were clashes between Israeli soldiers and Palestinians on the Gaza Strip. How do you feel about this confrontation that killed and wounded a large number of Palestinians?
A: Yesterday was a sad day as the world witnessed a brutal massacre from the Israeli army, which is the world's fifth mightiest army and is backed by the world’s most powerful country. That was the direct result of what happened in al-Quds as well as of the celebration of the decision to move the American embassy. If this brutal massacre was committed under the same conditions by another country, then the world would have behaved in a different way and would never remain silent. However, Israel is immunity under the U.S. protection.
Q: The international community condemned the opening of the U.S. Embassy in al-Quds. What can you say about that?
A: All wise people in the world have warned the U.S. president that this decision will give a powerful impetus to the Israeli government and extremist forces in the region, and will jeopardize peace, regional and global security. Nevertheless, this decision has no legal force and will change nothing in the issue of al-Quds. But what everyone was afraid of happened. Donald Trump ‘added fuel to the fire’, and yesterday we all witnessed the beginning of clashes that occurred due to this decision.
Q: Ho do you assess Azerbaijan’s position on the issue of al-Quds?
A: Azerbaijan’s position on the issue of al-Quds has always been clear. This position was once again confirmed by Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev’s participation in the OIC extraordinary summit on the issue of al-Quds in Istanbul. At the summit President Ilham Aliyev stressed the importance of al-Quds for Muslims as the capital of Palestine. We highly value Azerbaijan’s brotherhood and noble position.
Q: Finally, what steps will the Palestinian government take on this issue?
A: Palestine, together with Arab, Islamic states and the international community, will object to this decision and work to initiate the peace process based on international law. Having renounced the U.S. mediation as it choose to be part of the problem, we will resort to all available non-violent, legal, political, diplomatic and other means.
Related news releases
- 26.05.2018Azerbaijan’s parliamentary speaker starts visit to Georgia
- 26.05.2018San Diego proclaims May 28 as “100th Anniversary of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic Day”
- 26.05.2018Mayor of Cleveland signs proclamation designating May 28 as Centennial Celebration of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 25.05.2018Leaders of some countries congratulate Azerbaijani president
- 25.05.2018Japan’s Emperor Akihito congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 25.05.2018Jamestown Foundation dedicates article to centenary of Azerbaijani Democratic Republic
- 25.05.2018Los Angeles celebrates 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 24.05.2018Consultations held in Astana concerning Caspian legal status
- 24.05.2018Chinese president: Azerbaijan’s int’l status and influence growing day after day
- 24.05.2018Putin: Azerbaijan enjoys great authority in int’l community
- 24.05.2018Azerbaijani president pardons 634 people - UPDATED
- 24.05.2018Ambassador: French FM’s upcoming visit to Azerbaijan will be contribution to ADR centenary
- 24.05.2018Donald Trump sends congratulatory letter to Ilham Aliyev
- 23.05.2018Stefan Schennach: Samad Seyidov has to be replaced in PACE June session
- 23.05.2018Turkmen, Ukrainian leaders congratulate Azerbaijani president
- 23.05.2018Turkey’s Erdogan congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 23.05.2018Russian PM congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 23.05.2018Georgian gov’t won’t oppose public opinion and agree to open alternative route to Armenia – political analyst
- 23.05.2018Mayor of Las Vegas signs proclamation on 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 22.05.2018EU, Azerbaijan to hold talks on new agreement in late May
- 22.05.2018King of Saudi Arabia congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 22.05.2018Queen Elizabeth II congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 22.05.2018Leaders of some countries congratulate Azerbaijani president
- 22.05.2018Serbian president ends official visit to Azerbaijan
- 22.05.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry holds expanded meeting
- 22.05.2018George Tsereteli: No decision on OSCE PA’s special rep. for South Caucasus
- 22.05.2018OSCE PA President: Enough resources for constructive cooperation with Azerbaijan - INTERVIEW
- 22.05.2018California Governor congratulates Azerbaijan on 100th anniversary of ADR
- 21.05.2018Vucic: Serbia intends to develop co-op with Azerbaijan in all spheres
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Relations with Serbia of great importance to Azerbaijan
- 21.05.2018Aleksandar Vucic: Much remains to be done in Serbia in terms of Azerbaijan’s interests
- 21.05.2018President Vucic: Serbia is friendly country to Azerbaijan
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Serbia ties will continue to develop successfully
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani, Serbian presidents make press statements
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijan, Serbia ink several documents
- 21.05.2018Presidents of Azerbaijan, Serbia hold expanded meeting
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani, Serbian presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 21.05.2018Serbia’s Vucic officially welcomed in Baku
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Significant work done towards rapid reduction of unemployment - UPDATED
- 21.05.2018Serbian president arrives in Azerbaijan
- 16.05.2018Azerbaijan names new deputy foreign minister
- 16.05.2018Israeli ambassador: Peace will not be attainable as long as Palestinians refuse to recognize Jewish people as a nation - INTERVIEW
- 16.05.2018What points does report of Independent Investigation Body on allegations of corruption within PACE highlight? - OPINION
- 15.05.2018Ilham Aliyev receives former president of Dutch Senate - UPDATED
- 14.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov met with the EU High Representative
- 14.05.2018President Aliyev congratulates Malaysian PM