PACE's adoption of such tendentious documents make Azerbaijan reconsider its relations with CoE: Ali Hasanov
"I think PACE has once again demonstrated its biased and unfair stance against our country by adopting these documents that have been prepared on the basis of the subjective opinions of some anti-Azerbaijani circles," Ali Hasanov, the Azerbaijani president’s aide for public and political affairs, told APA of the documents on Azerbaijan adopted at PACE today.
"It is well known that Azerbaijan has consistently faced pressure from certain lobby groups, especially from Armenian ones, since becoming a member of the organization. These pressures intensified during the period Thorbjørn Jagland was the Secretary General. That stemmed from his negative attitude against Azerbaijan.
It is evident that Azerbaijan, which pursues an independent policy based on its national interests and has a principled position, is met with dissatisfaction from some because of its active role in PACE.
Otherwise, parliamentarians would be thinking about the future of Europe, where Islamophobia, xenophobia, racial and religious discrimination, gross violations of human rights are freedom of expression are raging, and they would be looking for ways to resolve these problems. They would also have expressed concerns about the failure to execute about 10,000 decisions of the European Court of Human Rights. If Russia has faced sanctions for the Crimea issue, why do they not raise the question of not taking action against Armenia, which has held 20% of Azerbaijani territory under occupation for 25 years?" Hasanov said.
The presidential aide said that the ongoing pressure on Azerbaijan, which is developing democratically and is preparing to sign an agreement on strategic partnership with the European Union, once again shows that PACE has become a means of pressure in the hands of certain circles and fulfills special orders.
"Of course, it is impossible to put pressure on Azerbaijan by adopting such documents. Azerbaijan is an independent, powerful state and has domestic and foreign policy priorities, and will continue to follow its path.
The acceptance of such biased documents based on subjective considerations and attempts to increase pressure make Azerbaijan reconsider its relations with the Council of Europe,” he said.
On October 11, PACE adopted Resolution No.14403 on the report on “The functioning of democratic institutions in Azerbaijan” by co-rapporteurs Stefan Schennach and Cezar Florin Preda and Resolution No.14397 on the report “Azerbaijan’s Chairmanship of the Council of Europe: What follow-up on respect for human rights?” by Belgian MP Alain Destexhe.
Related news releases
- 21.10.2017Pan-African Parliament’s President to visit Azerbaijan
- 20.10.2017Kubiv: Positivity in Kiev-Baku relations bothers some inside and outside of Ukraine
- 20.10.2017Austrian ambassador: Azerbaijan and Armenia can not be forced into one way of solution - INTERVIEW
- 20.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s external debt less than 20% of GDP - UPDATED
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani president ends visit to Turkey
- 20.10.2017MP Samad Seyidov criticizes Ukrainian colleagues for voting against Azerbaijan at PACE
- 20.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends D8 Summit in Istanbul
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani President met with Iranian First Vice President in Istanbul
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani president arrives in Turkey
- 19.10.2017Moscow: Main articles of convention on Caspian Sea status agreed
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani FM receives delegation of Cooperation Council for Arab States of Gulf
- 19.10.2017Baku to host next round of talks on new EU-Azerbaijan deal
- 19.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives first vice PM of Ukraine
- 18.10.2017Luxembourgian delegation says the anti-Azerbaijani campaign 'unfair'
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijani president receives CIS Frontier Troops’ Commanders
- 18.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Polish FM - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation of Cooperation Council for Arab States of Gulf - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijani, Polish FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan hails Poland’s unequivocal stance on principle of territorial integrity
- 18.10.2017Polish FM: Azerbaijan is an energy supplier to Eastern Europe
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan sees co-op with EU as one of its foreign policy priorities
- 18.10.2017Portugal's interior minister resigns after deadly wildfires
- 18.10.2017FM Mammadyarov: Armenian president’s irresponsibly going beyond joint statement ‘not right’
- 18.10.2017EU: Human trafficking victims are mostly migrants, children and women
- 17.10.2017Mahmoud Abbas congratulates President Aliyev
- 17.10.2017Saudi King congratulates President Aliyev
- 17.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Greek ambassador
- 17.10.2017Ambassador: US singles out three main directions for implementing economic reforms
- 17.10.2017US assistance to Azerbaijan over past 25 years exceed $1.3 bln – Ambassador Cekuta
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan seeks to join one of geopolitical groups within Inter-parliamentary Union
- 16.10.2017OPINION: Russia continues to supply modern weapons to occupant Armenia
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani president ends visit to Switzerland
- 16.10.2017Meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents took place in constructive atmosphere - STATEMENT
- 16.10.2017A Ban to Shackling for Mentally Disabled People in Ghana
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan is an important country for U.S. – Ambassador Cekuta
- 14.10.2017Bulgarian president ends visit to Azerbaijan
- 13.10.2017EU says new deal with Azerbaijan should be worked out properly
- 13.10.2017EU urges dialogue between Azerbaijan and PACE
- 13.10.2017US, Azerbaijan enjoy strong partnership in field of security, diplomat says
- 13.10.2017President Rumen Radev reaffirms Bulgaria’s support for realization of Southern Gas Corridor project
- 12.10.2017Novruz Mammadov: Who needs PACE and what for?
- 12.10.2017Erdogan to visit Azerbaijan on Oct. 30 – envoy
- 12.10.2017Preparation for Tehran meeting of Azerbaijani, Iranian, Russian presidents underway
- 11.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates King of Spain
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijani president addresses CIS summit
- 11.10.2017Samad Seyidov: Resolutions on Azerbaijan adopted today bring shame upon PACE