PACE's adoption of such tendentious documents make Azerbaijan reconsider its relations with CoE: Ali Hasanov
"I think PACE has once again demonstrated its biased and unfair stance against our country by adopting these documents that have been prepared on the basis of the subjective opinions of some anti-Azerbaijani circles," Ali Hasanov, the Azerbaijani president’s aide for public and political affairs, told APA of the documents on Azerbaijan adopted at PACE today.
"It is well known that Azerbaijan has consistently faced pressure from certain lobby groups, especially from Armenian ones, since becoming a member of the organization. These pressures intensified during the period Thorbjørn Jagland was the Secretary General. That stemmed from his negative attitude against Azerbaijan.
It is evident that Azerbaijan, which pursues an independent policy based on its national interests and has a principled position, is met with dissatisfaction from some because of its active role in PACE.
Otherwise, parliamentarians would be thinking about the future of Europe, where Islamophobia, xenophobia, racial and religious discrimination, gross violations of human rights are freedom of expression are raging, and they would be looking for ways to resolve these problems. They would also have expressed concerns about the failure to execute about 10,000 decisions of the European Court of Human Rights. If Russia has faced sanctions for the Crimea issue, why do they not raise the question of not taking action against Armenia, which has held 20% of Azerbaijani territory under occupation for 25 years?" Hasanov said.
The presidential aide said that the ongoing pressure on Azerbaijan, which is developing democratically and is preparing to sign an agreement on strategic partnership with the European Union, once again shows that PACE has become a means of pressure in the hands of certain circles and fulfills special orders.
"Of course, it is impossible to put pressure on Azerbaijan by adopting such documents. Azerbaijan is an independent, powerful state and has domestic and foreign policy priorities, and will continue to follow its path.
The acceptance of such biased documents based on subjective considerations and attempts to increase pressure make Azerbaijan reconsider its relations with the Council of Europe,” he said.
On October 11, PACE adopted Resolution No.14403 on the report on “The functioning of democratic institutions in Azerbaijan” by co-rapporteurs Stefan Schennach and Cezar Florin Preda and Resolution No.14397 on the report “Azerbaijan’s Chairmanship of the Council of Europe: What follow-up on respect for human rights?” by Belgian MP Alain Destexhe.
Related news releases
- 13.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: U.S. should reconsider its decision on Jerusalem
- 13.12.2017U.S. provides over $30.8 million for mine and UXO clearance in Azerbaijan
- 13.12.2017Mahmoud Abbas rules out U.S. mediator role in Palestine-Israel peace process
- 13.12.2017Turkey’s Erdogan calls for recognition of Jerusalem as ‘occupied capital of Palestine’
- 13.12.2017Erdogan calls Israel an ‘occupying and terror state’
- 13.12.2017OIC summit on Jerusalem kicks off in Istanbul
- 13.12.2017OIC FMs meet in Istanbul to discuss Jerusalem issue
- 12.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Turkey
- 12.12.2017Iran’s Rouhani to visit Azerbaijan next year
- 12.12.2017ECHR: Armenia has to pay for damage to Azerbaijani IDPs
- 12.12.2017Caucasian Muslims Office issues statement on al-Quds
- 12.12.2017Kazakh President Nazarbayev to propose date for Caspian summit
- 12.12.2017Deputy FM says he doesn’t believe in Azerbaijan’s accession to WTO in coming years
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan says issues on aviation agreement with EU can be resolved in early 2018
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan, Georgia to continue negotiations on border delimitation early next year
- 12.12.2017Caspian states to sign separate agreement on water surface division
- 12.12.2017No middle line or any common principle for division of Caspian seabed: Azerbaijani deputy FM
- 12.12.2017Talks on new Azerbaijan-EU agreement may end by late 2018 – deputy FM
- 11.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian State Duma delegation
- 09.12.2017Erdogan invites Ilham Aliyev to attend OIC summit on Jerusalem issue
- 08.12.2017President Aliyev appoints Azerbaijan’s honorary consul to Djibouti
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan appoints new ambassador to Croatia
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan recalls ambassador from Tajikistan
- 08.12.2017Russia never requested Azerbaijan for agrément for Georgy Zuev - Lavrov
- 08.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Sudanese ambassador
- 07.12.2017Elmar Mammadyarov attends the meeting of the GUAM Council of MFA
- 07.12.2017“ASAN Service” is a huge revolution in field of public services – Azerbaijani president
- 07.12.2017Israeli Embassy in Baku reacts to protests over Trump’s Jerusalem declaration
- 07.12.2017UK minister of state for trade to visit Azerbaijan
- 07.12.2017Novruz Mammadov: Azerbaijani public concerned over unfair attitude of certain circles in West and Europe
- 07.12.2017Lavrov: Russia will contribute to search for mutually acceptable solutions to Karabakh conflict
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Guba district
- 07.12.2017Azerbaijan supports peaceful settlement of Israeli-Palestinian conflict - Foreign Ministry
- 06.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan expands partnership with Russia in technology sector
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM: Int’l rules can be applied regarding controversial deposits in Caspian Sea
- 06.12.2017Draft Convention on Caspian status includes preservation of military balance: Azerbaijani MFA
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM reveals Caspian division principles
- 06.12.2017Baku: Draft Convention on Caspian Sea status coordinated
- 06.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev views Bakutel-2017 exhibition
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in Vienna today
- 12.10.2017Novruz Mammadov: Who needs PACE and what for?
- 12.10.2017Erdogan to visit Azerbaijan on Oct. 30 – envoy
- 12.10.2017Preparation for Tehran meeting of Azerbaijani, Iranian, Russian presidents underway
- 11.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates King of Spain
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijani president addresses CIS summit
- 11.10.2017Samad Seyidov: Resolutions on Azerbaijan adopted today bring shame upon PACE