PACE's adoption of such tendentious documents make Azerbaijan reconsider its relations with CoE: Ali Hasanov
"I think PACE has once again demonstrated its biased and unfair stance against our country by adopting these documents that have been prepared on the basis of the subjective opinions of some anti-Azerbaijani circles," Ali Hasanov, the Azerbaijani president’s aide for public and political affairs, told APA of the documents on Azerbaijan adopted at PACE today.
"It is well known that Azerbaijan has consistently faced pressure from certain lobby groups, especially from Armenian ones, since becoming a member of the organization. These pressures intensified during the period Thorbjørn Jagland was the Secretary General. That stemmed from his negative attitude against Azerbaijan.
It is evident that Azerbaijan, which pursues an independent policy based on its national interests and has a principled position, is met with dissatisfaction from some because of its active role in PACE.
Otherwise, parliamentarians would be thinking about the future of Europe, where Islamophobia, xenophobia, racial and religious discrimination, gross violations of human rights are freedom of expression are raging, and they would be looking for ways to resolve these problems. They would also have expressed concerns about the failure to execute about 10,000 decisions of the European Court of Human Rights. If Russia has faced sanctions for the Crimea issue, why do they not raise the question of not taking action against Armenia, which has held 20% of Azerbaijani territory under occupation for 25 years?" Hasanov said.
The presidential aide said that the ongoing pressure on Azerbaijan, which is developing democratically and is preparing to sign an agreement on strategic partnership with the European Union, once again shows that PACE has become a means of pressure in the hands of certain circles and fulfills special orders.
"Of course, it is impossible to put pressure on Azerbaijan by adopting such documents. Azerbaijan is an independent, powerful state and has domestic and foreign policy priorities, and will continue to follow its path.
The acceptance of such biased documents based on subjective considerations and attempts to increase pressure make Azerbaijan reconsider its relations with the Council of Europe,” he said.
On October 11, PACE adopted Resolution No.14403 on the report on “The functioning of democratic institutions in Azerbaijan” by co-rapporteurs Stefan Schennach and Cezar Florin Preda and Resolution No.14397 on the report “Azerbaijan’s Chairmanship of the Council of Europe: What follow-up on respect for human rights?” by Belgian MP Alain Destexhe.
Related news releases
- 23.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by Algerian justice minister
- 23.06.2018Afghan deputy FM says relations with Azerbaijan at highest level
- 22.06.2018Draft Convention on Caspian legal status allows laying pipelines on seabed
- 22.06.2018Draft Convention bans military presence of non-party countries in Caspian Sea
- 22.06.2018Russian government approves draft Convention on Caspian legal status
- 22.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives members of ADB Board of Governors
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijani PM: There is practically no concept of justice in int’l relations
- 22.06.20182018 CAMCA Regional Forum underway in Baku
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijan chose to closely cooperate with West – PM
- 22.06.2018U.S. congressman extends congratulations over centenary of ADR
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry: Implementation of UN SC resolutions entrusted to OSCE MG co-chairs
- 21.06.2018Guterres stresses importance of implementing UNSC resolutions
- 21.06.2018Azerbaijani FM leaves for Minsk
- 20.06.2018Minsk to host 10th round of EaP informal ministerial dialogues
- 20.06.2018Foreign Ministry: Number of IDPs and refugees in Azerbaijan exceeds 1.2 mln
- 20.06.2018Azerbaijani MP sends open letter to PACE committee members
- 19.06.2018Russian State Duma chairman to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.06.2018UN High Commissioner for Human Rights calls Azerbaijan actively cooperating country
- 19.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament speaker to visit China
- 18.06.2018Baku: No Azerbaijani nationals among Japan earthquake victims
- 15.06.2018Vice-Speaker: Georgia's failure to attend TANAP opening ceremony was due to domestic political situation in the country
- 14.06.2018Delegation of Nizami Ganjavi International Center meets Israeli defense minister
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani flag hoisted outside Philadelphia Mayor’s Office
- 13.06.2018Donald Trump congratulates Ilham Aliyev on Eid al-Fitr
- 13.06.2018Process of border delimitation with Georgia ‘relatively passive’, says Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2018Putin: Political co-op between Russia, Azerbaijan is stable
- 13.06.2018Summit of Caspian states planned to be held in first half of August – Azerbaijani diplomat
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Russia again on Aug. 30 – Putin
- 13.06.2018PACE Monitoring Committee to appoint new co-rapporteur on Azerbaijan on June 28
- 13.06.2018PACE to appoint rapporteur for preparation of report on “political prisoners in Azerbaijan”
- 13.06.2018Matthew Bryza: TANAP has turned Azerbaijan into a key player in global energy market - INTERVIEW
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani President pays working visit to Russia
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Ukraine
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan invites Ukraine to join Southern Gas Corridor project
- 12.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets BP CEO - UPDATED
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani, Ukrainian presidents meet in Turkey
- 11.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Vladimir Putin
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijan grants temporary residence permits to over 3,000 foreigners in May
- 11.06.2018No plan for Azerbaijani, Armenian leaders to meet in Moscow – Yerevan
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijani president to attend FIFA World Cup opening ceremony in Russia
- 12.10.2017Novruz Mammadov: Who needs PACE and what for?
- 12.10.2017Erdogan to visit Azerbaijan on Oct. 30 – envoy
- 12.10.2017Preparation for Tehran meeting of Azerbaijani, Iranian, Russian presidents underway
- 11.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates King of Spain
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijani president addresses CIS summit
- 11.10.2017Samad Seyidov: Resolutions on Azerbaijan adopted today bring shame upon PACE