OSCE/ODIHR, OSCE PA and PACE announce preliminary results of election observation in Azerbaijan
The observation missions of the OSCE ODIHR, the OSCE Parliamentary Assembly and the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) have announced preliminary results of the observations conducted in Azerbaijan’s presidential election on April 11.
Nilza de Sena (MP, Portugal), special co-ordinator and head of the short-term OSCE observer mission, told at a press conference on April 12 that the election took place in a restricted political environment.
She said that international observers worked freely in the initial period, saying "the election administration was well prepared for the election."
She noted that this was the first election held since the 2016 amendments to the Constitution of Azerbaijan.
"The Central Election Commission has developed additional rules, but not all the procedural aspects have been fulfilled. We expect the Venice Commission's priority recommendations to be taken into consideration,” added the Portuguese MP.
The co-ordinator added that the CEC registered 5.2 million voters.
“Voters were able to review the list. OSCE/ODIHR observers noted that a public broadcaster provided free airtime which was used for a roundtable on TV and radio. However, most of the news releases were dedicated to the government, while other candidates were allocated less time. State agencies did not interfere with observers' work. Despite minor violations in the counting of votes, overall vote counting process is positive,” she said.
Nilza de Sena underlined that the OSCE is ready to cooperate with the Azerbaijani government.
“We hope that our recommendations will be taken into account. We will not skimp on dialogue for the development of democracy in the country,” she added.
Viorel Richard, Romanian MP, head of the PACE observation mission called on the Azerbaijani government to improve the situation with human rights.
“We want our recommendations to be taken into account in order to continue our cooperation,” he noted.
Corien Jonker, Dutch MP, head of the OSCE/ODIHR election observation mission said that government agencies must comply with their commitments and respect citizens' rights.
She said that the New Azerbaijan Party dominated the election campaigns, and some opposition parties boycotted the elections holding two rallies.
"The CEC regularly held open sessions. However, it didn’t publish the protocols of these meetings, which reduces transparency. The candidacies of two persons were not registered by the CEC,” Jonker added.
She said the observers monitored the election day in various places and registered some violations.
A final report is expected to be released in the coming two months.
Editor-in-chief of the "Iki Sahil" newspaper Vugar Rahimzade, head of SES Media Group Bahruz Guliyev and others said that the results of the observations are biased.
They said that the results don’t reflect the truth and run contrary to the Azerbaijani people’s will.
The speakers noted that such a biased attitude of an organization like OSCE towards Azerbaijan is regrettable.
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with chairman and CEO of CIFAL Group
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Iveco France president
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with chairman of Rothschild & Co Supervisory Board
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with Thales International official
- 20.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Managing Director of Wilmotte & Associes Architectes
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chief Executive Officer of SUEZ
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev met with President of French Senate
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President meets with Airbus vice-president for Eurasia
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chairman and CEO of Total
- 19.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev met with Chairman and CEO of Naval Group in Paris
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President meets with Executive Chairman of French Institute of International Relations in Paris
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani president arrives in France
- 19.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: Azerbaijan can become ‘the main hero of a new page’ in development of economic potential of three seas
- 19.07.2018Turkish FM expected to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.07.2018Baku hosts Azerbaijan-Italy business forum
- 19.07.2018Sergio Mattarella: "Italy will remain sincere, resolute and loyal partner to Azerbaijan"
- 19.07.2018President of Azerbaijan: "Cooperation between Azerbaijan and Italy successfully develops in all directions"
- 19.07.2018Azerbaijani President signs order on awarding "Shohrat" Order to Laura Mattarella
- 18.07.2018FMs of Caspian states to meet before summit of heads of state
- 18.07.2018Baku urges foreign journalists to respect Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 18.07.2018OSCE/ODIHR releases final report on Azerbaijan’s presidential election
- 18.07.2018Caspian gas ‘very important’ for Europe – Italian president
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijan, Italy ink bilateral documents
- 18.07.2018Presidents of Azerbaijan, Italy hold expanded meeting
- 18.07.2018Azerbaijani, Italian presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 18.07.2018Italian president welcomed with official ceremony in Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2018Italian President arrives in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 17.07.2018Russia-Azerbaijan ties ‘on the rise’ – new envoy
- 17.07.2018Date set for summit of Caspian states
- 17.07.2018Date of Azerbaijani president’s visit to Russia rescheduled
- 16.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Putin on successful organization of FIFA 2020 World Cup
- 16.07.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Croatian counterpart
- 16.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Macron on France’s World Cup victory
- 16.07.2018Tehran condemns terror attack in Azerbaijan’s Ganja city
- 16.07.2018Traitors try to commit terrorist acts in Azerbaijan under guise of religion – Turkish envoy
- 16.07.2018Azerbaijani official: Impossible to defeat national will
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijani president to pay an official visit to France
- 14.07.2018Mehmet Akarca: Azerbaijan’s anti-FETO fight makes Turkey proud
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Pakistani counterpart
- 13.07.2018Armenia disrespects UN Charter and member states, says Baku
- 12.04.2018Nursultan Nazarbayev sends congratulatory letter to Ilham Aliyev
- 12.04.2018Ukraine’s Poroshenko phones President Ilham Aliyev
- 12.04.2018Hungarian PM congratulates Ilham Aliyev on his victory in presidential election
- 12.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan considers it important to step up efforts to further strengthen CIS
- 12.04.2018Turkey’s Erdogan congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 12.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by co-chairman of Turkey-Azerbaijan inter-parliamentary friendship group