OSCE/ODIHR, OSCE PA and PACE announce preliminary results of election observation in Azerbaijan
The observation missions of the OSCE ODIHR, the OSCE Parliamentary Assembly and the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) have announced preliminary results of the observations conducted in Azerbaijan’s presidential election on April 11.
Nilza de Sena (MP, Portugal), special co-ordinator and head of the short-term OSCE observer mission, told at a press conference on April 12 that the election took place in a restricted political environment.
She said that international observers worked freely in the initial period, saying "the election administration was well prepared for the election."
She noted that this was the first election held since the 2016 amendments to the Constitution of Azerbaijan.
"The Central Election Commission has developed additional rules, but not all the procedural aspects have been fulfilled. We expect the Venice Commission's priority recommendations to be taken into consideration,” added the Portuguese MP.
The co-ordinator added that the CEC registered 5.2 million voters.
“Voters were able to review the list. OSCE/ODIHR observers noted that a public broadcaster provided free airtime which was used for a roundtable on TV and radio. However, most of the news releases were dedicated to the government, while other candidates were allocated less time. State agencies did not interfere with observers' work. Despite minor violations in the counting of votes, overall vote counting process is positive,” she said.
Nilza de Sena underlined that the OSCE is ready to cooperate with the Azerbaijani government.
“We hope that our recommendations will be taken into account. We will not skimp on dialogue for the development of democracy in the country,” she added.
Viorel Richard, Romanian MP, head of the PACE observation mission called on the Azerbaijani government to improve the situation with human rights.
“We want our recommendations to be taken into account in order to continue our cooperation,” he noted.
Corien Jonker, Dutch MP, head of the OSCE/ODIHR election observation mission said that government agencies must comply with their commitments and respect citizens' rights.
She said that the New Azerbaijan Party dominated the election campaigns, and some opposition parties boycotted the elections holding two rallies.
"The CEC regularly held open sessions. However, it didn’t publish the protocols of these meetings, which reduces transparency. The candidacies of two persons were not registered by the CEC,” Jonker added.
She said the observers monitored the election day in various places and registered some violations.
A final report is expected to be released in the coming two months.
Editor-in-chief of the "Iki Sahil" newspaper Vugar Rahimzade, head of SES Media Group Bahruz Guliyev and others said that the results of the observations are biased.
They said that the results don’t reflect the truth and run contrary to the Azerbaijani people’s will.
The speakers noted that such a biased attitude of an organization like OSCE towards Azerbaijan is regrettable.
- 24.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits monument to Heydar Aliyev in Ankara
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijani president arrives in Turkey on official visit
- 24.04.2018UN secretary general congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 24.04.2018France’s Macron congratulates President Ilham Aliyev on presidential election victory
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijan’s consul general addresses Los Angeles Baha’i community
- 24.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian foreign intelligence chief
- 23.04.2018Azarbaijan's president to visit Turkey on Tuesday
- 23.04.2018Samad Seyidov: I’ve been in PACE for 18 years and no one can accuse me of corruption
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Afghan counterpart
- 23.04.2018Pakistani president congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 23.04.2018Israeli PM Netanyahu congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 23.04.2018Russian minister: Stability in Azerbaijan is of great importance
- 23.04.2018PACE spring session kicks off today
- 21.04.2018Georgian PM congratulates Novruz Mammadov
- 21.04.2018TANAP, TAP to play important role in ensuring Europe’s energy security – Turkish minister
- 21.04.2018Plight of Azerbaijani IDPs to be highlighted at PACE spring session
- 20.04.2018Baku: Belgian MPs’ acting as supporters of Kaspar Karampetian causes regret
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani Emergency Situations Ministry hosts meeting with foreign military attaches
- 20.04.2018King of Saudi Arabia congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 20.04.2018Miroslav Lajčák: UN’s success in preventing conflict should be the norm – not the exception
- 20.04.2018German president congratulates Ilham Aliyev on re-election as Azerbaijani president
- 19.04.2018Mohammed VI, King of Morocco congratulates Ilham Aliyev on re-election as Azerbaijani president
- 19.04.2018Zakharova: We're glad that there is an unbiased view of Skripal issue in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.2018Zakharova: Relations with Azerbaijan a foreign policy priority for Russia
- 19.04.2018Top Russian, NATO generals meet in Baku
- 19.04.2018Military expert: Baku meeting of Russian, NATO generals aimed at preventing ‘threat of a third world war’
- 19.04.2018Steven Seagal congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to George H.W. Bush
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives NATO delegation
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian General Staff Chief
- 19.04.2018Top Russian, NATO generals to meet in Baku
- 19.04.2018President of the Swiss Confederation congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 19.04.2018President of Hungary congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 18.04.2018Mammadyarov: Metsamor NPP poses serious threat in terms of smuggling of radioactive materials
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Israeli counterpart
- 18.04.2018Ambassador comments on reports of 3 Azerbaijani women getting death penalty in Iraq
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan always focuses on strengthening solidarity between Islamic countries’ youth
- 18.04.2018Lithuanian president congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives IAEA chief
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with youth and sports ministers of OIC countries
- 12.04.2018Nursultan Nazarbayev sends congratulatory letter to Ilham Aliyev
- 12.04.2018Ukraine’s Poroshenko phones President Ilham Aliyev
- 12.04.2018Hungarian PM congratulates Ilham Aliyev on his victory in presidential election
- 12.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan considers it important to step up efforts to further strengthen CIS
- 12.04.2018Turkey’s Erdogan congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 12.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by co-chairman of Turkey-Azerbaijan inter-parliamentary friendship group