OSCE MG co-chairs to visit region in mid-March
“Yesterday we had a discussion in this regard with Personal Representative of the OSCE Chairperson-in-Office Andrzej Kasprzyk. The exact date is not known yet,” he added.
The Nagorno-Karabakh conflict entered its modern phase when the Armenian SRR made territorial claims against the Azerbaijani SSR in 1988.
A fierce war broke out between Azerbaijan and Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan. As a result of the war, Armenian armed forces occupied some 20 percent of Azerbaijani territory which includes Nagorno-Karabakh and seven adjacent districts (Lachin, Kalbajar, Aghdam, Fuzuli, Jabrayil, Gubadli and Zangilan), and over a million Azerbaijanis became refugees and internally displaced people.
The military operations finally came to an end when Azerbaijan and Armenia signed a ceasefire agreement in Bishkek in 1994.
Dealing with the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict is the OSCE Minsk Group, which was created after the meeting of the CSCE (OSCE after the Budapest summit held in Dec.1994) Ministerial Council in Helsinki on 24 March 1992. The Group’s members include Azerbaijan, Armenia, Russia, the United States, France, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Belarus, Finland and Sweden.
Besides, the OSCE Minsk Group has a co-chairmanship institution, comprised of Russian, the US and French co-chairs, which began operating in 1996.
Resolutions 822, 853, 874 and 884 of the UN Security Council, which were passed in short intervals in 1993, and other resolutions adopted by the UN General Assembly, PACE, OSCE, OIC, and other organizations require Armenia to unconditionally withdraw its troops from Nagorno-Karabakh.
Related news releases
- 22.04.2017Moroccan FM to visit Azerbaijan
- 22.04.2017Delegation of Azerbaijani parliament to attend PACE spring session
- 22.04.2017Azerbaijani president receives former Austrian president
- 21.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives FIDE president - UPDATED
- 21.04.2017Ukrainian police take control of hijacking of Azerbaijani trucks – embassy
- 20.04.2017Top official: Azerbaijan has become leader in South Caucasus
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan, Georgia hold consultations on state border delimitation
- 19.04.2017Azerbaijan gets status of guest at OECD Development Assistance Committee
- 19.04.2017Ilham Aliyev: Talks on new EU-Azerbaijan agreement – important step to develop bilateral cooperation - UPDATED
- 18.04.2017Mard: EU looking forward to next round of talks with Azerbaijan
- 18.04.2017Ilham Aliyev receives former Bulgarian president Plevneliev
- 18.04.2017EU has implemented 70 civil society projects in Azerbaijan since 2007
- 18.04.2017Malta supports signing of EU-Azerbaijan strategic partnership agreement – PM
- 18.04.2017Meeting of Minsk Group countries’ parliamentarians in OSCE PA expected in coming months
- 17.04.2017Azerbaijani FM leaves for Malta and Italy - UPDATED
- 17.04.2017Baku hosts 4th meeting of joint commission on Azerbaijan-Russia border demarcation
- 16.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev phoned Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan
- 16.04.2017Azerbaijan interested in developing military co-op with Iran – defense minister
- 16.04.2017Iranian defense minister: Hope Azerbaijan and Armenia won’t permit third parties to interfere in conflict
- 16.04.2017Azerbaijan and Iran discussed expansion of military cooperation
- 14.04.2017New chair of European Parliament Foreign Affairs Committee to visit Azerbaijan
- 14.04.2017Azerbaijan, Djibouti set up interparliamentary working group
- 14.04.2017Moscow says draft convention on Caspian Sea’s status almost ready for signing
- 14.04.2017MFA: Visa-free regime – one of topics of discussion between Azerbaijan, EU
- 13.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Kyiv Mayor Klitschko - UPDATED
- 13.04.2017Azerbaijan, Ukraine to sign several documents soon
- 13.04.2017Klitschko: Kyiv-Baku cooperation potential not fully realized
- 13.04.2017Visegrad Group welcomes Azerbaijan’s intention to continue visa liberalization dialogue with EU
- 13.04.2017Fourth meeting of Azerbaijan-Russia joint commission on demarcation kicks off in Baku
- 12.04.2017FM: New Azerbaijan-EU agreement reflects support for and respect to territorial integrity of Azerbaijan
- 12.04.2017Lapshin has no complaints about detention conditions: Russian MFA
- 12.04.2017Baku to host meeting of EU-Azerbaijan cooperation committee
- 12.04.2017EU delegation to visit Azerbaijan ahead of Eastern Partnership summit
- 12.04.2017Azerbaijan, EU to hold next talks on new agreement on April 25
- 12.04.2017EU's Salber to visit Azerbaijan
- 12.04.2017Azerbaijan calls on EU to take unified approach to issue of countries’ territorial integrity - UPDATED
- 11.04.2017Azerbaijani, Polish presidents to meet in June
- 11.04.2017Ilham Aliyev receives former Turkish president Abdullah Gul
- 11.04.2017Bangladesh-Azerbaijan ties rooted in history, common faith, says president
- 11.04.2017Korea’s acting president hails his country’s relations with Azerbaijan
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijan’s influence increasing on international arena: Djibouti’s minister
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijani FM says he’s not optimistic about Karabakh talks
- 24.02.2017Terrorism, radicalism – a major threat to security: OSCE PA vice-president
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijani FM to visit Moscow
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijan, Djibouti ink MoU on political consultations
- 24.02.2017Azerbaijani, Djiboutian FMs meet in Baku