Novruz Mammadov: No one in Europe wants Azerbaijan to leave Council of Europe
No one in the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) or in Europe wants Azerbaijan to leave the Council of Europe, Novruz Mammadov, assistant to Azerbaijan’s president for foreign policy issues, head of department, said on Monday, APA reported.
“The issue cannot be put in the form of Azerbaijan’s removal from the organization,” Mammadov said.
The presidential assistant noted that another country which has occupied part of the territory of another Council of Europe member state is also a member of this organization.
"But nobody says anything to Armenia, the invader. The issue is, Azerbaijan may or may not wish to stay in the Council of Europe. The decision rests with Azerbaijan. Our country is patient. Azerbaijan can take every step in its own interests at any time when the necessity arises," he said.
Azerbaijan wants international organizations which it is a member of to be fair, Mammadov stressed.
“Today, the world community needs justice, but, unfortunately, PACE and other such organizations sacrifice justice for smaller geopolitical interests,” said the presidential assistant. “In the absence of justice, there can not be universal values that the West often talks about. If there is no justice, the issues of human rights and freedom will be put forward as a political factor.”
Mammadov went on to say that in the 21st century, at a time when human intelligence is the most developed, the processes taking place in the world, between countries, and in countries are evident.
“Thousands of people die every day in Iraq, Syria, Libya and dozens of African states, but no one talks about this. These processes do not happen without any reason. In this case suffering aren’t only those states where these processes happen. The threat is growing and those big states ultimately suffer from it,” added the Azerbaijani official.
Two world wars happened in the 20th century and none of them was initiated by small states, said Mammadov.
“In such situations, serious threats emerge for big states too. That is the main issue,” he added.
Related news releases
- 18.06.2018Baku: No Azerbaijani nationals among Japan earthquake victims
- 15.06.2018Vice-Speaker: Georgia's failure to attend TANAP opening ceremony was due to domestic political situation in the country
- 14.06.2018Delegation of Nizami Ganjavi International Center meets Israeli defense minister
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani flag hoisted outside Philadelphia Mayor’s Office
- 13.06.2018Donald Trump congratulates Ilham Aliyev on Eid al-Fitr
- 13.06.2018Process of border delimitation with Georgia ‘relatively passive’, says Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2018Putin: Political co-op between Russia, Azerbaijan is stable
- 13.06.2018Summit of Caspian states planned to be held in first half of August – Azerbaijani diplomat
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Russia again on Aug. 30 – Putin
- 13.06.2018PACE Monitoring Committee to appoint new co-rapporteur on Azerbaijan on June 28
- 13.06.2018PACE to appoint rapporteur for preparation of report on “political prisoners in Azerbaijan”
- 13.06.2018Matthew Bryza: TANAP has turned Azerbaijan into a key player in global energy market - INTERVIEW
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani President pays working visit to Russia
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Ukraine
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan invites Ukraine to join Southern Gas Corridor project
- 12.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets BP CEO - UPDATED
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani, Ukrainian presidents meet in Turkey
- 11.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Vladimir Putin
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijan grants temporary residence permits to over 3,000 foreigners in May
- 11.06.2018No plan for Azerbaijani, Armenian leaders to meet in Moscow – Yerevan
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijani president to attend FIFA World Cup opening ceremony in Russia
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev accepted credentials of incoming Bulgarian ambassador - UPDATED
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev received credentials of incoming Peruvian ambassador - UPDATED
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev received credentials of incoming Russian ambassador - UPDATED
- 09.06.2018Samad Seyidov: There is possibility of pressure on Azerbaijan under the name of “political prisoner”
- 09.06.2018Azerbaijan plays crucial role in geopolitical, transport and energy issues: ACRE
- 09.06.2018ACRE calls for end to anti-Azerbaijani decisions in Council of Europe
- 09.06.2018Baku Summit of Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe kicks off
- 08.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Queen Elizabeth II
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijan’s Cabinet of Ministers holds expanded meeting
- 08.06.2018Ilham Aliyev receives president of Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani FM receives incoming Russian ambassador
- 08.06.2018U.S. welcomes TANAP completion – diplomat
- 08.06.2018Incoming U.S. ambassador to Azerbaijan not named yet, diplomat says
- 08.06.2018Gambia supports Azerbaijan’s position on Karabakh conflict settlement – FM
- 08.06.2018FM: Gambian president resolutely condemns occupation of Azerbaijani lands by Armenia - UPDATED
- 08.06.2018Russia’s new ambassador to Azerbaijan arrives in Baku
- 07.06.2018Queen Elizabeth's birthday celebrated in Baku
- 07.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Turkey on June 12
- 07.06.2018U.S. Embassy in Azerbaijan hosts iftar dinner for Masalli women entrepreneurs
- 23.10.2017Iranian interior minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 23.10.2017Azerbaijani official: We had urged countries now faced with separatism to state their stance against separatism
- 23.10.2017Top official: PACE seems to have turned into tool in hands of certain circles
- 23.10.2017Talks underway to free Azerbaijanis detained in Iraq, diplomat says
- 23.10.2017Azerbaijani FM Mammadyarov leaves for Italy
- 21.10.2017Pan-African Parliament’s President to visit Azerbaijan