Novruz Mammadov: Azerbaijani public concerned over unfair attitude of certain circles in West and Europe
The public of Azerbaijan is extremely concerned about the unfair attitude demonstrated in the period of independence towards the country by certain circles in the West and in Europe, Novruz Mammadov, assistant to the Azerbaijani president for foreign policy issues, head of the department, said on Dec. 7, APA reported.
“A new example of such a position was demonstrated during the discussion of the issue related to Ilgar Mammadov at the Council of Europe on December 5,” Mammadov said.
According to him, the issue related to Ilgar Mammadov has long bothered Council of Europe Secretary General Jagland, who is one of the figures guiding the organization’s activities.
"He thinks that no one knows what goals he serves. It seems that Jagland’s purpose is to manipulate the issue of Ilgar Mammadov as a “human rights defender” to “punish” Azerbaijan and to show Azerbaijan what he is capable of,” said Mammadov.
“He [Jagland] thinks it can be achieved easily, because it’s nothing for that the European Union is called a Christian club. Why would the Council of Europe not be a Christian club?! Who can hinder him at a time Islamophobia has reached this level? That’s the way by which he can reach his “main goal”. Otherwise, in the past few years, he would have said a single word about Armenia, which holds Azerbaijani territories under occupation despite being a member of the Council of Europe. It’s sad, however, that this European institution, which constantly talks about human rights and obligations, seems to have no obligation at all. According to Jagland, a state that has occupied the territory of another state does not bear any responsibility,” added the Azerbaijani official.
According to Mammadov, despite the fact that Armenia occupied Azerbaijani lands, violated the fundamental rights of more than one million Azerbaijanis living there and committed the Khojaly genocide, no measures have been taken and no sanctions have been imposed against this country.
He noted with regret that Armenia is still a member of the Council of Europe, which is portrayed as the symbol of human rights.
"Are these European values? Why did Azerbaijan have to wait 26 years in order to get support from the European Union for its territorial integrity?” said Mammadov.
“Having been indifferent to the occupation of Nagorno-Karabakh by Armenia, Europe is today facing separatism itself, it began to change its position on this issue and to make statements supporting the territorial integrity of its members, which is a clear example of double standards. However, we have repeatedly underscored the need to form a unified position against separatism and stated that separatism will return to Europe itself due to a boomerang effect,” the Azerbaijani official said.
He went on to say that if the Council of Europe tries to justify the intention to remove Azerbaijan from the organization by such steps, there is no need for it.
“Since joining the Council of Europe, Azerbaijan, in each issue, has been facing a biased attitude of both the organization and its leadership, instead of having at least one positive opinion on the projects of international cooperation implemented jointly with the organization and on the assistance it provided within the framework of various organizations,” he said.
Mammadov noted that Azerbaijan is a full member of the Council of Europe, and a possible withdrawal of the country from the organization will not be a tragedy.
“Against the backdrop of breaches of international law and human rights, as well as the violation of the Statute of the Council of Europe, the occupation by a member state of the territory of another one, failure to fulfill obligations to the organization (non-payment of membership fees, non-execution of court judgments, pressures on journalists and civil society representatives and restrictions on their activities) and non-execution of thousands of decision of the European Court of Human Rights, such a move in respect of only Azerbaijan is nothing more than non-compliance with international law, justice and the continuation of the abovementioned attitude. Thus, the Council of Europe is trying to apply Article 46.4 of the European Convention on Human Rights not to these states, but primarily to Azerbaijan,” he added.
The Azerbaijani official stressed that the lack of criticism against Armenia against the backdrop of the detection of numerous violations of human rights in this country raises serious questions in connection with the decision of the Council of Europe Committee of Ministers.
“This again demonstrates a biased attitude towards a Muslim state. Is not this a certain form of manifestation of Islamophobia? Even those states that are trying to act as friends in bilateral negotiations come out quite differently during the voting. Whereas Azerbaijan, remaining true to its promises on using all possible means for the implementation of this decision, continues to carry out legislative reforms upon the president’s order,” he said.
Mammadov went on to say: “In this case, in accordance with the amendments made to the legislation, starting from December 1, 2017, Ilgar Mammadov, on the basis of the appeal to the court, can be granted conditional release as he has already served 2/3 of his sentence. Along with this, the Azerbaijani side can conduct constructive negotiations to find other ways of solutions to this issue. However, a body of the Council of Europe, not taking into account the way in which the process can go, continues taking a biased position under influence of certain circles. Jagland has a decisive role in bringing the situation to such an extent.”
According to him, the international community and its leaders should be more concerned over the process taking place in the international arena, as well as in Europe, as a result of which hundreds of thousands of people lost their lives in different countries, millions of people were expelled from their native lands and became refugees, thousands of cities and villages were destroyed.
“Why are radicalism, terrorism, separatism, migration and use of weapons of mass destruction so widespread today? What are the reasons behind all this? Which direction did the international community choose? Is there full confidence in a future that will ensure stable, safe and sustainable development? Questions may arise in those who knows and does not know Jagland: “Is there a need for such an attitude in his work? With confidence I can say “there is”, because this contributes to the current state of world order. Unfortunately, the steps being taken nowadays are nothing but a continuation of the previous ones. I’m sure that in any part of the world and in Europe itself, there are many people who share my views,” the Azerbaijani official concluded.
Related news releases
- 14.12.2017Bahar Muradova: Europe tends to react only when itself faced with threat
- 13.12.2017Ambassador: Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan are strategic partners
- 13.12.2017‘Jerusalem has not been abandoned,’ Erdogan says
- 13.12.2017OIC member states recognize E. Jerusalem as Palestine’s capital
- 13.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: U.S. should reconsider its decision on Jerusalem
- 13.12.2017U.S. provides over $30.8 million for mine and UXO clearance in Azerbaijan
- 13.12.2017Mahmoud Abbas rules out U.S. mediator role in Palestine-Israel peace process
- 13.12.2017Turkey’s Erdogan calls for recognition of Jerusalem as ‘occupied capital of Palestine’
- 13.12.2017Erdogan calls Israel an ‘occupying and terror state’
- 13.12.2017OIC summit on Jerusalem kicks off in Istanbul
- 13.12.2017OIC FMs meet in Istanbul to discuss Jerusalem issue
- 12.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Turkey
- 12.12.2017Iran’s Rouhani to visit Azerbaijan next year
- 12.12.2017ECHR: Armenia has to pay for damage to Azerbaijani IDPs
- 12.12.2017Caucasian Muslims Office issues statement on al-Quds
- 12.12.2017Kazakh President Nazarbayev to propose date for Caspian summit
- 12.12.2017Deputy FM says he doesn’t believe in Azerbaijan’s accession to WTO in coming years
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan says issues on aviation agreement with EU can be resolved in early 2018
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan, Georgia to continue negotiations on border delimitation early next year
- 12.12.2017Caspian states to sign separate agreement on water surface division
- 12.12.2017No middle line or any common principle for division of Caspian seabed: Azerbaijani deputy FM
- 12.12.2017Talks on new Azerbaijan-EU agreement may end by late 2018 – deputy FM
- 11.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian State Duma delegation
- 09.12.2017Erdogan invites Ilham Aliyev to attend OIC summit on Jerusalem issue
- 08.12.2017President Aliyev appoints Azerbaijan’s honorary consul to Djibouti
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan appoints new ambassador to Croatia
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan recalls ambassador from Tajikistan
- 08.12.2017Russia never requested Azerbaijan for agrément for Georgy Zuev - Lavrov
- 08.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Sudanese ambassador
- 07.12.2017Elmar Mammadyarov attends the meeting of the GUAM Council of MFA
- 06.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan expands partnership with Russia in technology sector
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM: Int’l rules can be applied regarding controversial deposits in Caspian Sea
- 06.12.2017Draft Convention on Caspian status includes preservation of military balance: Azerbaijani MFA
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM reveals Caspian division principles
- 06.12.2017Baku: Draft Convention on Caspian Sea status coordinated
- 06.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev views Bakutel-2017 exhibition
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in Vienna today
- 05.12.2017Baku host reception on occasion of Japanese Emperor's birthday
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Finnish counterpart
- 05.12.2017Caspian states plan to hold joint drills – Lavrov
- 07.12.2017UK minister of state for trade to visit Azerbaijan
- 07.12.2017Israeli Embassy in Baku reacts to protests over Trump’s Jerusalem declaration
- 07.12.2017“ASAN Service” is a huge revolution in field of public services – Azerbaijani president
- 07.12.2017Lavrov: Russia will contribute to search for mutually acceptable solutions to Karabakh conflict
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Guba district
- 07.12.2017Azerbaijan supports peaceful settlement of Israeli-Palestinian conflict - Foreign Ministry