Netherlands shows disrespect to int’l law: Azerbaijani lawmaker
The actions of the Dutch government against Turkey are disrespectful to international law and mean a flagrant violation of the Vienna Convention, said First Vice-Speaker of the Azerbaijani Parliament Ziyafat Asgarov.
"Such a disrespectful attitude towards the two Turkish ministers can not be approved,” the vice-speaker told reporters Monday commenting on the ongoing tension between Turkey and the Netherlands.
He noted that Turks living in the Netherlands, particularly those with dual citizenship have the right to vote and to participate in the referendum, and receive information about the amendments proposed to the Turkey’s Constitution.
“The ministers went there to give information about these amendments. They did not have a different purpose,” said Asgarov.
He stressed that rough treatment towards diplomats of the Turkish Consulate in Rotterdam is a direct violation of the Vienna Convention.
“Why does Europe that speaks of human rights take such an approach towards human rights? I strongly condemn this kind of approach and believe that this issue will be solved as soon as possible,” added the vice-speaker.
Last week, Turkish ministers were barred from holding public rallies in two German cities ahead of the April 16 referendum in Turkey.
On Saturday, the Dutch government first canceled the Turkish foreign minister's flight permit to the Netherlands and then blocked a convoy carrying Turkey’s family minister from entering the Turkish consulate in Rotterdam.
The ministers were also due to meet Turkish residents ahead of the April 16 referendum on constitutional reforms.
Related news releases
- 23.04.2018Azarbaijan's president to visit Turkey on Tuesday
- 23.04.2018Samad Seyidov: I’ve been in PACE for 18 years and no one can accuse me of corruption
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Afghan counterpart
- 23.04.2018Pakistani president congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 23.04.2018Israeli PM Netanyahu congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 23.04.2018Russian minister: Stability in Azerbaijan is of great importance
- 23.04.2018PACE spring session kicks off today
- 21.04.2018Georgian PM congratulates Novruz Mammadov
- 21.04.2018TANAP, TAP to play important role in ensuring Europe’s energy security – Turkish minister
- 21.04.2018Plight of Azerbaijani IDPs to be highlighted at PACE spring session
- 20.04.2018Baku: Belgian MPs’ acting as supporters of Kaspar Karampetian causes regret
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani Emergency Situations Ministry hosts meeting with foreign military attaches
- 20.04.2018King of Saudi Arabia congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 20.04.2018Miroslav Lajčák: UN’s success in preventing conflict should be the norm – not the exception
- 20.04.2018German president congratulates Ilham Aliyev on re-election as Azerbaijani president
- 19.04.2018Mohammed VI, King of Morocco congratulates Ilham Aliyev on re-election as Azerbaijani president
- 19.04.2018Zakharova: We're glad that there is an unbiased view of Skripal issue in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.2018Zakharova: Relations with Azerbaijan a foreign policy priority for Russia
- 19.04.2018Top Russian, NATO generals meet in Baku
- 19.04.2018Military expert: Baku meeting of Russian, NATO generals aimed at preventing ‘threat of a third world war’
- 19.04.2018Steven Seagal congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to George H.W. Bush
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives NATO delegation
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian General Staff Chief
- 19.04.2018Top Russian, NATO generals to meet in Baku
- 19.04.2018President of the Swiss Confederation congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 19.04.2018President of Hungary congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 18.04.2018Mammadyarov: Metsamor NPP poses serious threat in terms of smuggling of radioactive materials
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Israeli counterpart
- 18.04.2018Ambassador comments on reports of 3 Azerbaijani women getting death penalty in Iraq
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan always focuses on strengthening solidarity between Islamic countries’ youth
- 18.04.2018Lithuanian president congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives IAEA chief
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with youth and sports ministers of OIC countries
- 18.04.2018Azerbaijan appoints ambassador to North Korea
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has achieved great successes on int’l arena over past 15 years
- 18.04.2018Robert Cekuta: Ilham Aliyev’s re-election – positive factor for stability, development
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits Alley of Martyrs
- 17.04.2018Rumen Radev sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 17.04.2018ECO Dushanbe communique expresses concern over Karabakh conflict
- 13.03.2017Azerbaijan may adopt separate law on immunity of first vice-president and vice-presidents
- 13.03.2017Raimonds Vejonis: Latvia does not recognize ‘referendum’ in Nagorno-Karabakh - INTERVIEW
- 13.03.2017Iran urges Armenia, Azerbaijan to avoid further escalation of tension
- 13.03.2017Azerbaijani ambassador to Russia nominated for post of UNESCO director-general
- 13.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets deputy CEO of SUEZ Environment
- 13.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets Vivaction Company president in Paris