Netherlands shows disrespect to int’l law: Azerbaijani lawmaker
The actions of the Dutch government against Turkey are disrespectful to international law and mean a flagrant violation of the Vienna Convention, said First Vice-Speaker of the Azerbaijani Parliament Ziyafat Asgarov.
"Such a disrespectful attitude towards the two Turkish ministers can not be approved,” the vice-speaker told reporters Monday commenting on the ongoing tension between Turkey and the Netherlands.
He noted that Turks living in the Netherlands, particularly those with dual citizenship have the right to vote and to participate in the referendum, and receive information about the amendments proposed to the Turkey’s Constitution.
“The ministers went there to give information about these amendments. They did not have a different purpose,” said Asgarov.
He stressed that rough treatment towards diplomats of the Turkish Consulate in Rotterdam is a direct violation of the Vienna Convention.
“Why does Europe that speaks of human rights take such an approach towards human rights? I strongly condemn this kind of approach and believe that this issue will be solved as soon as possible,” added the vice-speaker.
Last week, Turkish ministers were barred from holding public rallies in two German cities ahead of the April 16 referendum in Turkey.
On Saturday, the Dutch government first canceled the Turkish foreign minister's flight permit to the Netherlands and then blocked a convoy carrying Turkey’s family minister from entering the Turkish consulate in Rotterdam.
The ministers were also due to meet Turkish residents ahead of the April 16 referendum on constitutional reforms.
Related news releases
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani president: “Need to give dynamism to the relations between Azerbaijan and Moldova”
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijan provides aid to four countries stricken by famine threat
- 22.06.2017Moldovan president visits Alley of Martyrs in Baku
- 22.06.2017Moldovan president pays respect to Azerbaijan's national leader Heydar Aliyev
- 22.06.2017Igor Dodon: Wide range of issues discussed at meeting with Azerbaijani president
- 22.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Moldova have good potential for trade and economic cooperation
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani president hosts official dinner reception in honor of Moldovan counterpart
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani, Moldovan presidents make press statements
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani, Moldovan presidents hold expanded meeting
- 22.06.2017PACE co-rapporteurs issue statement after their visit to Azerbaijan
- 22.06.2017Azerbaijani, Moldovan presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 22.06.2017Official welcoming ceremony held for Moldovan president
- 21.06.2017Moldovan president arrives in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 21.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives former French PM - UPDATED
- 20.06.2017Azerbaijani president offers condolences over former German chancellor's death - UPDATED
- 19.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by Lao foreign minister - UPDATED
- 19.06.2017Ali Hasanov: European Parliament resolution on Azerbaijan is unfair
- 19.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives OSCE MG co-chairs
- 17.06.2017Azerbaijani president offers condolence over Helmut Kohl’s death
- 17.06.2017Robert Cekuta: Diversity of Azerbaijan’s religious communities is source of strength
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijan confirms its composition of joint intergovernmental commission with Israel
- 16.06.2017Hassan Rouhani sends congratulatory letter to Ilham Aliyev
- 16.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Colombian FM - UPDATED
- 16.06.2017Parl’t deputy speaker: European Parliament’s anti-Azerbaijani resolution causes regret
- 16.06.2017EU says relations with Azerbaijan entered ‘a new stage’
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijani President: Azerbaijan is ready to make efforts to expand the bilateral ties with the EU
- 16.06.2017Colombian FM in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 15.06.2017Johannes Hahn: Southern Gas Corridor is a strategic project for EU - INTERVIEW
- 15.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives IPU secretary general - UPDATED
- 14.06.2017Elmar Mammadyarov receives EU representatives
- 14.06.2017PACE co-rapporteur received at Ombudsman’s Office
- 14.06.2017EU says Baku talks on new agreement with Azerbaijan were successful
- 14.06.2017Program of Moldovan president’s Azerbaijan visit announced - UPDATED-1
- 14.06.2017Parl’t deputy speaker: No tension in Azerbaijan-Russia relations
- 13.06.2017Azerbaijani president receives delegation led by Bulgarian prosecutor general - UPDATED
- 13.06.2017Palestinian envoy: Azerbaijan at forefront of efforts to address many challenges
- 13.06.2017Azerbaijani president: Muslim countries should solve problems among themselves peacefully
- 13.06.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan enjoys very close ties with Muslim countries
- 13.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives ambassadors of Muslim countries in Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives co-rapporteurs of PACE Monitoring Committee
- 13.03.2017Azerbaijan may adopt separate law on immunity of first vice-president and vice-presidents
- 13.03.2017Raimonds Vejonis: Latvia does not recognize ‘referendum’ in Nagorno-Karabakh - INTERVIEW
- 13.03.2017Iran urges Armenia, Azerbaijan to avoid further escalation of tension
- 13.03.2017Azerbaijani ambassador to Russia nominated for post of UNESCO director-general
- 13.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets deputy CEO of SUEZ Environment
- 13.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets Vivaction Company president in Paris