Netherlands shows disrespect to int’l law: Azerbaijani lawmaker
The actions of the Dutch government against Turkey are disrespectful to international law and mean a flagrant violation of the Vienna Convention, said First Vice-Speaker of the Azerbaijani Parliament Ziyafat Asgarov.
"Such a disrespectful attitude towards the two Turkish ministers can not be approved,” the vice-speaker told reporters Monday commenting on the ongoing tension between Turkey and the Netherlands.
He noted that Turks living in the Netherlands, particularly those with dual citizenship have the right to vote and to participate in the referendum, and receive information about the amendments proposed to the Turkey’s Constitution.
“The ministers went there to give information about these amendments. They did not have a different purpose,” said Asgarov.
He stressed that rough treatment towards diplomats of the Turkish Consulate in Rotterdam is a direct violation of the Vienna Convention.
“Why does Europe that speaks of human rights take such an approach towards human rights? I strongly condemn this kind of approach and believe that this issue will be solved as soon as possible,” added the vice-speaker.
Last week, Turkish ministers were barred from holding public rallies in two German cities ahead of the April 16 referendum in Turkey.
On Saturday, the Dutch government first canceled the Turkish foreign minister's flight permit to the Netherlands and then blocked a convoy carrying Turkey’s family minister from entering the Turkish consulate in Rotterdam.
The ministers were also due to meet Turkish residents ahead of the April 16 referendum on constitutional reforms.
Related news releases
- 26.03.2017Denmark supports Azerbaijan's territorial integrity - envoy
- 23.03.2017Pakistan, Azerbaijan enjoy excellent bilateral ties – envoy
- 23.03.2017Azerbaijan strongly condemns London terror attack
- 22.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates his counterpart Mamnoon Hussain on Pakistan Day
- 18.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan submitted draft agreement to European Commission
- 18.03.2017Man shot after attack at Paris Orly airport
- 18.03.2017Azerbaijani President congratulates his Tunisian counterpart
- 18.03.2017Mevlut Cavusoglu: Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway project to be launched in two months
- 18.03.2017Nowruz festivities held in Washington
- 17.03.2017Mehriban Aliyeva meet with delgation headed by Iranian Minister
- 17.03.2017Ilham Aliyev meets chairman of Bosnia and Herzegovina Presidency - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Saudi prince - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017Fifth Global Baku Forum underway
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani president’s messages to French society and president: - OPINION
- 17.03.2017Ilham Aliyev receives Iran’s ICT minister - UPDATED
- 17.03.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry's ex-official
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry summons Greek ambassador
- 17.03.2017Baku Forum features session on future of Europe
- 17.03.2017Slovenia’s ex-president calls for reconsideration of Eastern Partnership principles
- 17.03.2017China’s role in int’l relations highlighted at Baku forum
- 17.03.2017Albania fully supports Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity, says president
- 17.03.2017Baku hosts senior officials’ meeting of Istanbul Process
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijan, France celebrate 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations
- 16.03.2017Kemaleddin Heydarov meets Iran’s ICT minister
- 16.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev praises close co-op between Azerbaijan, Georgia - UPDATED
- 16.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets Albanian counterpart
- 16.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets Latvian counterpart - UPDATED
- 16.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets Montenegrin counterpart
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijan's First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets Macedonian first lady
- 16.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets Macedonian counterpart
- 16.03.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets UNESCO Goodwill Ambassador Marianna Vardinoyannis
- 16.03.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets former Latvian president
- 16.03.2017Bulgaria’s ex-president: Solution to int’l conflicts is not dependent on conflict parties only
- 16.03.2017Latvia, Azerbaijan enjoy very good relations – President Vejonis
- 16.03.2017Ex-Bulgarian president urges Armenia to fulfill UN resolutions on Nagorno-Karabakh
- 16.03.2017Latvian president: Political will needed to resolve all conflicts
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijan turned into a host of int’l events: ex-Polish president
- 16.03.2017Saudi prince urges implementation of resolutions on Palestine, Nagorno-Karabakh
- 16.03.2017No alternative to European integration for Albania, president says
- 16.03.2017Baku – right place for holding int’l forums
- 13.03.2017Azerbaijan may adopt separate law on immunity of first vice-president and vice-presidents
- 13.03.2017Raimonds Vejonis: Latvia does not recognize ‘referendum’ in Nagorno-Karabakh - INTERVIEW
- 13.03.2017Iran urges Armenia, Azerbaijan to avoid further escalation of tension
- 13.03.2017Azerbaijani ambassador to Russia nominated for post of UNESCO director-general
- 13.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets deputy CEO of SUEZ Environment
- 13.03.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets Vivaction Company president in Paris