NATO calls on Azerbaijan to step up security sector reform
NATO is grateful for continued commitment of Azerbaijan to the Resolute Support Mission in Afghanistan, NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said at a joint press point with Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev at NATO Headquarters on Nov. 23, APA reports.
"Today we have discussed our long-standing cooperation. We are grateful for your continued commitment to the Resolute Support Mission in Afghanistan with troops, transit and financial support to the Afghan national security forces. And I also want to thank you for your decision to increase your troop contributions to our Resolute Support Mission in Afghanistan," he said.
Stoltenberg went on to add that the cooperation between NATO and Azerbaijan goes back many years.
“Today our practical cooperation covers many areas, from capability development to energy security. And a trust fund for the destruction of unexploded mines and ammunition from the former Soviet Army,” he said.
Stoltenberg also expressed gratitude for the decision of Azerbaijan to make the UNSC resolution 1325 on women, peace and security a part of the cooperation agenda.
"All this contributes to making the Euro Atlantic area safer and more secure. We are committed to continue working with you in all areas that you have chosen and to take our cooperation further,” he added.
The NATO secretary general called on Azerbaijan to step up security sector reform.
“We encourage you to step up security sector reform. And to take full advantage of our Building Integrity programme to help fight corruption,” he concluded.
Related news releases
- 13.12.2017Turkey’s Erdogan calls for recognition of Jerusalem as capital of Palestine
- 13.12.2017Erdogan calls Israel ‘an occupying, terrorist state’
- 13.12.2017OIC summit on Jerusalem issue kicks off in Istanbul
- 13.12.2017OIC FMs meet in Istanbul to discuss Jerusalem issue
- 12.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Turkey
- 12.12.2017Iran’s Rouhani to visit Azerbaijan next year
- 12.12.2017ECHR: Armenia has to pay for damage to Azerbaijani IDPs
- 12.12.2017Caucasian Muslims Office issues statement on al-Quds
- 12.12.2017Kazakh President Nazarbayev to propose date for Caspian summit
- 12.12.2017Deputy FM says he doesn’t believe in Azerbaijan’s accession to WTO in coming years
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan says issues on aviation agreement with EU can be resolved in early 2018
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan, Georgia to continue negotiations on border delimitation early next year
- 12.12.2017Caspian states to sign separate agreement on water surface division
- 12.12.2017No middle line or any common principle for division of Caspian seabed: Azerbaijani deputy FM
- 12.12.2017Talks on new Azerbaijan-EU agreement may end by late 2018 – deputy FM
- 11.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian State Duma delegation
- 09.12.2017Erdogan invites Ilham Aliyev to attend OIC summit on Jerusalem issue
- 08.12.2017President Aliyev appoints Azerbaijan’s honorary consul to Djibouti
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan appoints new ambassador to Croatia
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan recalls ambassador from Tajikistan
- 08.12.2017Russia never requested Azerbaijan for agrément for Georgy Zuev - Lavrov
- 08.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Sudanese ambassador
- 07.12.2017Elmar Mammadyarov attends the meeting of the GUAM Council of MFA
- 07.12.2017“ASAN Service” is a huge revolution in field of public services – Azerbaijani president
- 07.12.2017Israeli Embassy in Baku reacts to protests over Trump’s Jerusalem declaration
- 07.12.2017UK minister of state for trade to visit Azerbaijan
- 07.12.2017Novruz Mammadov: Azerbaijani public concerned over unfair attitude of certain circles in West and Europe
- 07.12.2017Lavrov: Russia will contribute to search for mutually acceptable solutions to Karabakh conflict
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Guba district
- 07.12.2017Azerbaijan supports peaceful settlement of Israeli-Palestinian conflict - Foreign Ministry
- 06.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan expands partnership with Russia in technology sector
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM: Int’l rules can be applied regarding controversial deposits in Caspian Sea
- 06.12.2017Draft Convention on Caspian status includes preservation of military balance: Azerbaijani MFA
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM reveals Caspian division principles
- 06.12.2017Baku: Draft Convention on Caspian Sea status coordinated
- 06.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev views Bakutel-2017 exhibition
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in Vienna today
- 05.12.2017Baku host reception on occasion of Japanese Emperor's birthday
- 05.12.2017Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Finnish counterpart
- 05.12.2017Caspian states plan to hold joint drills – Lavrov
- 23.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev invites NATO Sec-Gen to Azerbaijan
- 24.11.2017Brussels to host Eastern Partnership summit
- 24.11.2017Eastern Partnership summit to set new goals for future partnership – EU envoy
- 23.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan will continue partnership with NATO to provide stability in region
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijan, Benelux countries agree on visa exemption for service passport holders
- 23.11.2017EU hopes talks on new agreement with Azerbaijan will be finalized next year