NATO calls on Azerbaijan to step up security sector reform
NATO is grateful for continued commitment of Azerbaijan to the Resolute Support Mission in Afghanistan, NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said at a joint press point with Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev at NATO Headquarters on Nov. 23, APA reports.
"Today we have discussed our long-standing cooperation. We are grateful for your continued commitment to the Resolute Support Mission in Afghanistan with troops, transit and financial support to the Afghan national security forces. And I also want to thank you for your decision to increase your troop contributions to our Resolute Support Mission in Afghanistan," he said.
Stoltenberg went on to add that the cooperation between NATO and Azerbaijan goes back many years.
“Today our practical cooperation covers many areas, from capability development to energy security. And a trust fund for the destruction of unexploded mines and ammunition from the former Soviet Army,” he said.
Stoltenberg also expressed gratitude for the decision of Azerbaijan to make the UNSC resolution 1325 on women, peace and security a part of the cooperation agenda.
"All this contributes to making the Euro Atlantic area safer and more secure. We are committed to continue working with you in all areas that you have chosen and to take our cooperation further,” he added.
The NATO secretary general called on Azerbaijan to step up security sector reform.
“We encourage you to step up security sector reform. And to take full advantage of our Building Integrity programme to help fight corruption,” he concluded.
Related news releases
- 25.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev received delegation led by President of American Jewish Committee
- 23.02.2018Moldovan president to visit Azerbaijan
- 23.02.2018U.S. aims to help Azerbaijan become a strong, prosperous state: Ambassador Cekuta
- 23.02.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets with head of Iran's Islamic Culture and Relations Organization
- 23.02.2018Erdogan: 415 sq km now under control in Afrin operation
- 23.02.2018Azerbaijan calls Dutch parliament’s decision ‘biased’
- 23.02.2018Film on Khojaly Genocide screened in California
- 22.02.2018OSCE PA special rep. on South Caucasus resigns
- 22.02.2018Ceremony of laying first border markers on Azerbaijani-Russian border held - UPDATED
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan's FM to address UN Human Rights Council's session
- 22.02.2018MFA: Appeals sent to int'l organizations for monitoring Azerbaijan presidential election
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan, Russia mulling border demarcation
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA, Prosecutor General’s Office issue joint statement on Sumgayit disturbances
- 21.02.2018Envoy Cekuta: U.S. supports transparent and credible electoral process
- 21.02.2018Ilham Aliyev receives ex-president of Dutch Senate
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani president receives Iran’s defense minister
- 21.02.2018Baku reacts to statement of French Foreign Ministry
- 20.02.2018Sergey Lebedev to lead CIS observation mission in Azerbaijan presidential election - UPDATED
- 20.02.2018Outgoing Czech ambassador to Azerbaijan to serve as envoy to Russia
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan names new ambassador to Jordan
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan appoints new consul in Batumi
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan mull energy cooperation
- 19.02.2018Montenegrin president to attend 6th Global Baku Forum
- 19.02.2018ODIHR needs assessment mission to arrive in Baku on Feb. 21 - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018PACE to decide on sending mission for observation of Azerbaijan presidential election in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Armenia’s hypocritical position is key impediment to achieving progress in Karabakh talks - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018EU special rep. for South Caucasus arrives in Baku
- 17.02.2018Baku hosts event in support of Turkey’s Afrin op
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM attends roundtable at Munich Security Conference
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia's speaking of peace is a 'clear hypocrisy'
- 16.02.2018Baku reacts to Russian MFA spokesperson’s remarks
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE chairman
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan invites int’l observers to monitor upcoming presidential election – EU envoy
- 16.02.201854th Munich Security Conference to start today
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president: New agreement with EU to create a new co-op format
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Donald Trump
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Italian deputy economic development minister
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend Munich Security Conference
- 15.02.2018Summit of Caspian states to take place in 2H18
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Serbian counterpart
- 23.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev invites NATO Sec-Gen to Azerbaijan
- 24.11.2017Brussels to host Eastern Partnership summit
- 24.11.2017Eastern Partnership summit to set new goals for future partnership – EU envoy
- 23.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan will continue partnership with NATO to provide stability in region
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijan, Benelux countries agree on visa exemption for service passport holders
- 23.11.2017EU hopes talks on new agreement with Azerbaijan will be finalized next year