Hajiyev: Much of ‘credit’ goes to Nalbandian for Armenia being unreliable, frivolous country - INTERVIEW
APA’s interview with Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry Spokesman Hikmat Hajiyev
Q. How would you comment on the latest statement of Armenian Foreign Minister Edward Nalbandian?
A. We wouldn’t have liked to spoil Edward Nalbandian's mood of anniversary as he tried to boast in front of his colleagues and spoke about the “successful” foreign policy of Armenia on Diplomat's Day celebrated in the country. However, Armenia became more isolated during during Nalbandian's 8 years in office. Much of the ‘credit’ goes to Nalbandian for Armenia being unreliable, frivolous country having no position. In general, it is clear for everyone, especially the Armenian people that the military dictatorship in Armenia is rapidly leading the country to disaster and recession.
Q. Nalbandian predicts that by the end of the year at least one country would recognize the so-called regime created in the occupied Azerbaijani territories. What do you think of it?
A. The whole international community recognizes and supports Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity and sovereignty within its internationally recognized borders. The UN Security Council resolutions that are the basis of the settlement of the conflict reaffirm Azerbaijan's territorial integrity and sovereignty, and once again underline the inadmissibility of the acquisition of territory by the use of force. The illegitimate regime created in the Azerbaijani territories as a result military aggression of Armenia has not been and will never be recognized by any state. Instead of doing provocations, Armenia must join the efforts to ensure lasting peace in the region.
Q. While the negotiations to settle the conflict are ongoing, what do you think Armenia is trying to achieve by holding an illegal referendum, sending ambassadors to the occupied lands, attempts to recognize the illegitimate regime, and committing provocations at the front line?
A. This is clearly indicative of Armenia’s involvement in the talks being unserious and imitative. Armenia’s primary goal is to annex the occupied Azerbaijani lands.
On one hand, the Armenian FM is hypocritically talking about his country’s involvement in the OSCE Minsk Group-mediated negotiations, on the other hand Armenia acts against the efforts of the OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs and the whole process of negotiation. That’s why there is no progress in the negotiation process. Azerbaijan has repeatedly said that Armenia’s impunity syndrome must be ended and all necessary political and diplomatic pressures must be put on Armenia to urge it to be serious about the negotiations.
Related news releases
- 22.07.2017Azerbaijani, Russian presidents discuss Nagorno-Karabakh conflict
- 21.07.2017Meeting of Presidents of Russia and Azerbaijan held in Sochi
- 21.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in Russia for working visit
- 21.07.2017Egyptian embassy organizes official reception in Baku
- 21.07.2017Communiqué on closure of Al-Aqsa Mosque adopted at Baku conference
- 21.07.2017Ambassador: Protraction of Jerusalem problem indicates existence of double standards in int’l policy
- 21.07.2017Azerbaijani FM receives outgoing Hungarian ambassador
- 21.07.2017MFA: No Azerbaijani citizens injured in earthquake in Turkey, Greece
- 21.07.2017Russian, Azerbaijani presidents to meet in Sochi – Kremlin
- 21.07.2017Azerbaijan allocates $5M for development of infrastructure in East al-Quds
- 20.07.2017Firudin Hajiyev awarded Order ‘For Service to the Motherland’
- 20.07.2017FM Mammadyarov: OIC – a ‘unique platform’ for Azerbaijan in advancing cooperation with Muslim world
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijani FM receives outgoing Tajik ambassador
- 20.07.2017Int’l conference on question of Jerusalem kicks off in Baku
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijan names new ambassador to China
- 19.07.2017Baku-Tbilisi-Kars project to open up great opportunities – Azerbaijani FM
- 19.07.2017FM: Turkmenistan intends to expand relations with Azerbaijan, Turkey
- 19.07.2017Ashgabat to host fifth trilateral meeting of Azerbaijani, Turkmen, Turkish FMs
- 19.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Turkish FM - UPDATED
- 19.07.2017Ambassador: Czech Republic interested in co-op with Azerbaijan within Eastern Partnership
- 19.07.2017Visegrad Four supports soonest signing of Azerbaijan-EU deal on strategic partnership
- 19.07.2017Czech Senate delegation to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.07.2017Eastern Partnership countries’ FMs to meet in September
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijani president to visit Hungary in October
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish FMs meet in Baku
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijani, Turkmen FMs mull co-op prospects
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijani, Turkmen, Turkish FMs hold meeting in Baku
- 18.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan interested in expanding ties with Turkmenistan in all areas - UPDATED
- 18.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Austrian delegation - UPDATED
- 18.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev completes official visit to Latvia
- 17.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev: "From now on Latvia and Azerbaijan are considered strategic partners"
- 17.07.2017Latvian President hosted official reception for President of Azerbaijan
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan hopes for positive appellate court decision on VAK
- 17.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets speaker of Latvian parliament
- 17.07.2017Azerbaijan-Latvia business forum held in Riga
- 17.07.2017Latvian president: Azerbaijan-EU ties to take more concrete form at Eastern Partnership summit
- 17.07.2017Final document on Caspian Sea’s status nearly 80% agreed - Azerbaijani FM
- 17.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-EU relations developing successfully
- 17.07.2017President Vejonis: Latvia will continue to support Azerbaijan's territorial integrity - UPDATED
- 17.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev visits Freedom Monument in Latvia
- 03.03.2017EU, Azerbaijan set for new round of talks
- 03.03.2017Malena Mard's tenure as EU Delegation head in Azerbaijan coming to end - UPDATED
- 03.03.2017Russian ombudsperson to ask Azerbaijani counterpart to meet Lapshin
- 02.03.2017Ghulam M. Isaczai: Azerbaijan and UN need each other - INTERVIEW
- 02.03.2017Russia: Lapshin has no complaints about detention conditions
- 02.03.2017Azerbaijani FM to visit Moscow on March 6-7