Multiculturalism should be commonplace in every country, Azerbaijani president says
There is no alternative to multiculturalism, President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev said at an international conference, titled "2017- Year of Islamic Solidarity: Interfaith and Intercultural Dialogue", which kicked off in Baku on Dec. 21, APA reported.
He noted that there are many dangerous tendencies, such as Islamophobia, xenophobia, and anti-Semitism, shaking the world.
“The world sees multiculturalism in Azerbaijan’s example. However, sometimes there are very negative ideas about multiculturalism. Nevertheless, we should all work to preserve and strengthen these values,” said President Aliyev, adding that multiculturalism should become commonplace in every country.
Azerbaijan, which has special relations with Islamic countries within the framework of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC), also plays an active role within this organization and enjoys great support, said the head of state.
“At the same time, we have close ties with European countries. Azerbaijan signed a document on strategic partnership with 9 EU member states. That is 1/3 of the EU members. We also have strong ties with the European Union. There is serious work on a number of issues,” he said.
The president recalled that since the beginning of this year Azerbaijan and the EU have been working on a new agreement.
“This again reflects the attitude of our country to issues of the international agenda and at the same time our policy,” he said.
The head of state stressed that the Azerbaijani people are very committed to their national and spiritual roots.
"The very national values form the foundation of the independent Azerbaijan state. Our national values are an integral part of universal values," President Aliyev said, noting that Azerbaijan is turning into an irreplaceable country in the inter-religious and intercultural dialogue thanks to its geography, history and past.
“I would also like to note that the state is pursuing and will continue to pursue the policy in this direction. This policy is based on public opinion because the Azerbaijani people live with these feelings and thoughts. Our successful development shows that when inter-religious and intercultural relations are at the right level, then there will be development and stability. All citizens of Azerbaijan are optimistic about the future,” he said.
The president went on to say that another important initiative was put forward by Azerbaijan in 2008.
"As you know, Azerbaijan is also a member of the Council of Europe. When we organized a meeting of ministers of culture of member states of the Council of Europe we decided to invite ministers from the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) countries. The ministers of the two organizations met in Baku for the first time. A very fruitful meeting was held and a very sincere exchange of views was conducted. We decided that this initiative should be continued,” said President Aliyev. “Next year Azerbaijan hosted an event of ministers of culture of the OIC member countries and invited the ministers of the Council of Europe countries. This initiative later was called Baku Process.”
He announced that the 10th anniversary of Baku Process will be celebrated next year.
“Today the Baku process is developing. Next year we will celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Baku Process which is highly appreciated by all respected international organizations, especially by the UN,” said President Aliyev, calling the Baku Process ‘a rare international platform for the development of relations between the Council of Europe and OIC.
Related news releases
- 21.04.2018Georgian PM congratulates Novruz Mammadov
- 21.04.2018TANAP, TAP to play important role in ensuring Europe’s energy security – Turkish minister
- 21.04.2018Plight of Azerbaijani IDPs to be highlighted at PACE spring session
- 20.04.2018Baku: Belgian MPs’ acting as supporters of Kaspar Karampetian causes regret
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani Emergency Situations Ministry hosts meeting with foreign military attaches
- 20.04.2018King of Saudi Arabia congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 20.04.2018Miroslav Lajčák: UN’s success in preventing conflict should be the norm – not the exception
- 20.04.2018German president congratulates Ilham Aliyev on re-election as Azerbaijani president
- 19.04.2018Mohammed VI, King of Morocco congratulates Ilham Aliyev on re-election as Azerbaijani president
- 19.04.2018Zakharova: We're glad that there is an unbiased view of Skripal issue in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.2018Zakharova: Relations with Azerbaijan a foreign policy priority for Russia
- 19.04.2018Top Russian, NATO generals meet in Baku
- 19.04.2018Military expert: Baku meeting of Russian, NATO generals aimed at preventing ‘threat of a third world war’
- 19.04.2018Steven Seagal congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to George H.W. Bush
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives NATO delegation
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian General Staff Chief
- 19.04.2018Top Russian, NATO generals to meet in Baku
- 19.04.2018President of the Swiss Confederation congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 19.04.2018President of Hungary congratulates Ilham Aliyev
- 18.04.2018Mammadyarov: Metsamor NPP poses serious threat in terms of smuggling of radioactive materials
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Israeli counterpart
- 18.04.2018Ambassador comments on reports of 3 Azerbaijani women getting death penalty in Iraq
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan always focuses on strengthening solidarity between Islamic countries’ youth
- 18.04.2018Lithuanian president congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives IAEA chief
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with youth and sports ministers of OIC countries
- 18.04.2018Azerbaijan appoints ambassador to North Korea
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has achieved great successes on int’l arena over past 15 years
- 18.04.2018Robert Cekuta: Ilham Aliyev’s re-election – positive factor for stability, development
- 18.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev visits Alley of Martyrs
- 17.04.2018Rumen Radev sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 17.04.2018ECO Dushanbe communique expresses concern over Karabakh conflict
- 17.04.2018May 28 proclaimed Azerbaijan National Day in Chicago
- 16.04.2018China’s Xi congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 16.04.2018Mahmoud Abbas sends congratulatory letter to Ilham Aliyev
- 16.04.2018Azerbaijan to be represented at ECO Foreign Ministers Council meeting
- 16.04.2018Azerbaijan presidential election report to be heard at PACE Bureau meeting
- 16.04.2018Arizona Senate adopts proclamation expressing firm support for Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 14.04.2018CoE Secretary General congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 22.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev sends congratulatory letter to Japanese Emperor
- 23.12.2017Azerbaijani president’s assistant: Threat of separatism is bigger in Europe
- 23.12.2017There was no need for Trump to recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital – Azerbaijani official
- 21.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan always played positive role among civilizations
- 21.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives state advisor to Uzbek president
- 21.12.2017Azerbaijani president receives ISESCO director general