MP: Holding of Dunford-Gerasimov meeting in Baku indicates two big states’ trust in Azerbaijan
It is no coincidence that Chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff Joseph Dunford and Chief of the General Staff of Russia's Armed Forces Valery Gerasimov have decided to hold the crucial meeting in Baku. First and foremost, this fact is an indicator of the two big states’ trust and confidence in Azerbaijan, MP Hikmat Babaoglu told APA on Thursday.
The MP said that this meeting, which is being followed with huge international curiosity, is going to earn Azerbaijan a number of strategic dividends.
“On the other hand, the holding of this meeting in Baku is a fruition of Azerbaijan’s beneficial cooperation and strategic partnership with the two countries that is based on equal rights and mutual respect. It’s one of Azerbaijan’s foreign policy priorities to make the country a platform for cooperation and partnership,” he said.
“President Ilham Aliyev always says that Azerbaijan is not a place of confrontation and rivalry but a place of cooperation and partnership,” said the MP, adding. “This idea, which is a foreign policy priority of ours, its constructive content and the fact that it actually works make Azerbaijan an attractive location for strategic partnership at this complicated stage of international relations. So it does make sense that this meeting is finally taking place in Baku after long discussions.
He noted that Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev’s good relations with his US and Russian counterparts, as well as the appreciation by the US and Russian presidents of their cooperation with President Ilham Aliyev made it necessary to hold such a meeting of global military strategic importance in Baku.
“Azerbaijan’s election as a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council, the successful implementation of its mission for its two-year chairmanship, the country’s close participation in the normalization of relations between Russia and Turkey, the creation by Azerbaijan a new format of trilateral cooperation, as well as the fact that Azerbaijan has gained an image of reliable partner in ensuring Europe’s energy security and plays an important role in coordination of the interests of NATO and CSTO, the two military political organizations, have made the country attractive for partnership that meets Azerbaijan’s national and state interests,” added the MP.
Related news releases
- 23.05.2018Stefan Schennach: Samad Seyidov has to be replaced in PACE June session
- 23.05.2018Turkmen, Ukrainian leaders congratulate Azerbaijani president
- 23.05.2018Turkey’s Erdogan congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 23.05.2018Russian PM congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 23.05.2018Georgian gov’t won’t oppose public opinion and agree to open alternative route to Armenia – political analyst
- 23.05.2018Mayor of Las Vegas signs proclamation on 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 22.05.2018EU, Azerbaijan to hold talks on new agreement in late May
- 22.05.2018King of Saudi Arabia congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 22.05.2018Queen Elizabeth II congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 22.05.2018Leaders of some countries congratulate Azerbaijani president
- 22.05.2018Serbian president ends official visit to Azerbaijan
- 22.05.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry holds expanded meeting
- 22.05.2018George Tsereteli: No decision on OSCE PA’s special rep. for South Caucasus
- 22.05.2018OSCE PA President: Enough resources for constructive cooperation with Azerbaijan - INTERVIEW
- 22.05.2018California Governor congratulates Azerbaijan on 100th anniversary of ADR
- 21.05.2018Vucic: Serbia intends to develop co-op with Azerbaijan in all spheres
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Relations with Serbia of great importance to Azerbaijan
- 21.05.2018Aleksandar Vucic: Much remains to be done in Serbia in terms of Azerbaijan’s interests
- 21.05.2018President Vucic: Serbia is friendly country to Azerbaijan
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Serbia ties will continue to develop successfully
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani, Serbian presidents make press statements
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijan, Serbia ink several documents
- 21.05.2018Presidents of Azerbaijan, Serbia hold expanded meeting
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani, Serbian presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 21.05.2018Serbia’s Vucic officially welcomed in Baku
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Significant work done towards rapid reduction of unemployment - UPDATED
- 21.05.2018Serbian president arrives in Azerbaijan
- 21.05.2018Legal status of Caspian Sea to be discussed in Astana on May 21-24
- 19.05.2018Poroshenko signs decree on recalling Ukraine’s representatives from CIS statutory bodies
- 19.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov: "Azerbaijan remains ready to contribute to the just solution of the Palestinian issue"
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President meets with UNESCO Director General in Paris
- 18.05.2018Mehriban Aliyev attends conference on 80th birthday of Koïchiro Matsuura in Paris
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijani, Kyrgyz presidents hold phone talk
- 18.05.2018Baku to convey serious protest to Russian Foreign Ministry
- 16.05.2018Head of delegation: No one will accept such Council of Europe
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev sends congratulatory letter to King of Norway
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: I’ve been interrogated for 3 hours
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: Those who face sanctions in PACE are the ones who support Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 16.05.2018Head of delegation: Azerbaijan to continue activity in PACE
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: PACE decision – a manifestation of double standard attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 16.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Iranian justice minister - UPDATED
- 16.02.2017‘Dunford-Gerasimov meeting in Baku indicates Azerbaijan’s growing influence’
- 16.02.2017Azerbaijan, Palestine hold political consultations
- 16.02.2017Baku meeting of top US, Russian military officers ‘important’ – NATO chief
- 16.02.2017Russia expects Pentagon’s position to be clarified at Baku meeting
- 16.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives chairman of US Joint Chiefs of Staff - UPDATED