MP: Holding of Dunford-Gerasimov meeting in Baku indicates two big states’ trust in Azerbaijan
It is no coincidence that Chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff Joseph Dunford and Chief of the General Staff of Russia's Armed Forces Valery Gerasimov have decided to hold the crucial meeting in Baku. First and foremost, this fact is an indicator of the two big states’ trust and confidence in Azerbaijan, MP Hikmat Babaoglu told APA on Thursday.
The MP said that this meeting, which is being followed with huge international curiosity, is going to earn Azerbaijan a number of strategic dividends.
“On the other hand, the holding of this meeting in Baku is a fruition of Azerbaijan’s beneficial cooperation and strategic partnership with the two countries that is based on equal rights and mutual respect. It’s one of Azerbaijan’s foreign policy priorities to make the country a platform for cooperation and partnership,” he said.
“President Ilham Aliyev always says that Azerbaijan is not a place of confrontation and rivalry but a place of cooperation and partnership,” said the MP, adding. “This idea, which is a foreign policy priority of ours, its constructive content and the fact that it actually works make Azerbaijan an attractive location for strategic partnership at this complicated stage of international relations. So it does make sense that this meeting is finally taking place in Baku after long discussions.
He noted that Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev’s good relations with his US and Russian counterparts, as well as the appreciation by the US and Russian presidents of their cooperation with President Ilham Aliyev made it necessary to hold such a meeting of global military strategic importance in Baku.
“Azerbaijan’s election as a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council, the successful implementation of its mission for its two-year chairmanship, the country’s close participation in the normalization of relations between Russia and Turkey, the creation by Azerbaijan a new format of trilateral cooperation, as well as the fact that Azerbaijan has gained an image of reliable partner in ensuring Europe’s energy security and plays an important role in coordination of the interests of NATO and CSTO, the two military political organizations, have made the country attractive for partnership that meets Azerbaijan’s national and state interests,” added the MP.
Related news releases
- 16.01.2018Bulgarian PM completes Azerbaijan visit
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev: Bulgaria and Azerbaijan will continue to cooperate successfully
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev has dinner with Bulgarian PM Boyko Borissov
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM make press statements
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with French counterpart
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM hold expanded meeting
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president holds one-on-one meeting with Bulgarian PM
- 15.01.2018Iran’s Rouhani to visit Baku late March
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan-Moldova intergovernmental commission on economic co-op to meet in first half of 2018
- 15.01.2018Russia says satisfied with strategic partnership with Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Iranian counterpart
- 13.01.2018Azerbaijan stands firmly next to Turkey on all regional issues – envoy
- 12.01.2018Kestutis Jankauskas: "Negotiations on the aviation agreement between Azerbaijan and the EU are almost completed"
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijani, Swiss presidents to meet in Davos
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijan highly values Italy’s willingness to take responsibility of chairing OSCE at challenging period
- 11.01.2018Azerbaijan joins Framework Agreement on Facilitation of Cross-border Paperless Trade in Asia and the Pacific
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev extends condolences over death Georgia’s first ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 09.01.2018Bulgarian president phones President Ilham Aliyev
- 08.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming ambassadors - UPDATED
- 08.01.2018NATO official comments on upcoming high-level meeting with Russia in Baku
- 05.01.2018Samad Seyidov comments on change in composition of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE
- 04.01.2018Patriarch Kirill sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 04.01.2018Staff of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE changed - UPDATED
- 03.01.2018Azerbaijan and EU to hold next round of negotiations in February
- 30.12.2017We hope that conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia will be resolved in 2018 – Iranian spokesman
- 30.12.2017Putin congratulates Azerbaijani president
- 29.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives letter from Georgian counterpart
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani MPs slam Georgia’s intention to provide Armenia with access to Russia
- 29.12.2017Ambassador: Azerbaijan-Georgia economic cooperation yet to reach its potential - INTERVIEW
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan condemns missile attacks against Saudi Arabia
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijani president to visit Belarus
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan’s list of undesirable persons includes names of 600 people: Foreign Ministry
- 28.12.2017Date set for ministerial conference of Non-Aligned Movement in Baku
- 28.12.2017MFA: Azerbaijan pursued independent, multi-vector, balanced foreign policy in 2017
- 27.12.2017Mehriban Aliyeva: "Azerbaijan has become one of the centers of inter-civilization dialogue in the world"
- 26.12.2017Azerbaijani president pays working visit to Russia
- 26.12.2017Russian officials congratulate Azerbaijani president on his birthday
- 25.12.2017Turkish PM sends letter to Azerbaijani President
- 25.12.2017Azerbaijani president to attend informal meeting of CIS Council of Heads of State
- 25.12.2017Mongolian president congratulates President Ilham Aliyev on his birthday
- 16.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Iranian justice minister - UPDATED
- 16.02.2017‘Dunford-Gerasimov meeting in Baku indicates Azerbaijan’s growing influence’
- 16.02.2017Azerbaijan, Palestine hold political consultations
- 16.02.2017Baku meeting of top US, Russian military officers ‘important’ – NATO chief
- 16.02.2017Russia expects Pentagon’s position to be clarified at Baku meeting
- 16.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives chairman of US Joint Chiefs of Staff - UPDATED