MFA: Azerbaijan commends reiterated continuous support by EU to its territorial integrity
President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev is on a working visit to Brussels, Kingdom of Belgium, the Ministry of Foreign Affaris said in a statement on July 11.
President Ilham Aliyev and Donald Tusk, President of the European Council had a meeting and broad exchange of views on development of comprehensive cooperation between EU and Azerbaijan. They commended continuous efforts of both sides towards strengthening of cooperation.
Under the auspices of President Ilham Aliyev and President Donald Tusk, Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Azerbaijan Elmar Mammadyarov and High Representative of the EU for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, Vice President of the Commission Federica Mogherini initialized EU-Azerbaijan Partnership Priorities Document.
“As established in the Article 1 of the Partnership Priorities document the EU and Azerbaijan have agreed on Joint Partnership Priorities with a view to further strengthening their relationship, based on mutual interest and common values, as wells as commitments to the respect of and support for the territorial integrity, inviolability of international borders of states, independence and sovereignty of each other. As enshrined in the text, Partnership Priorities covers the period of 2018-2020 and reflects the equality and mutual nature of Partnership,” the statement says.
The document also indicates Azerbaijan’s policy to diversify its economy and its ambitious economic reform agenda, as well as EU’s role as key investor in the country accounting for over half of foreign direct investment in both the oil and non-oil sectors. Building further on a shared strategic goal of Azerbaijan and the EU to establish direct energy and transport links, the Partnership Priorities Document highlights Azerbaijan’s role as a strategic energy partner and its geographical location as a natural transport hub offering possibilities to enhance connections, boosting trade and logistics and enabling East-West and North-South Transportation projects in the region. Completion of Southern Gas Corridor and the timely beginning of the gas delivers to the European market are also reaffirmed as key priorities in the document. Partnership Priorities cover good governance, as well as mobility and people-to-people contacts, intercultural dialogue, humanitarian, education cooperation and other areas of mutual interest as key spheres.
The statement further says that the visit by President Ilham Aliyev to EU in 2017 and subsequent visits by EU high delegations to Azerbaijan ushered in a new page in EU-Azerbaijan cooperation.
“Implementation of Partnership Priorities Document, including “20 Deliverables for 2020”, and other joint projects along with the soonest completion of partnership agreement will provide an important prerequisite and comprehensive framework for further development of mutually beneficial cooperation between EU and Azerbaijan.
The Republic of Azerbaijan commends reiterated continuous support by EU to the territorial integrity, sovereignty and inviolability of internationally recognized borders of Azerbaijan, as it is also reflected in the Partnership Priorities Document.
Based upon the principles and norms of international law, Helsinki Final Act respect and support to the territorial integrity, sovereignty and inviolability of internationally recognized borders of states constitute the fundamental basis of international relations and contribute to guaranteeing of lasting peace and security,” reads the statement.
Related news releases
- 17.07.2018Russia-Azerbaijan ties 'on the rise' – new envoy
- 17.07.2018Date set for summit of Caspian states
- 17.07.2018Date of Azerbaijani president’s visit to Russia rescheduled
- 16.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Putin on successful organization of FIFA 2020 World Cup
- 16.07.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Croatian counterpart
- 16.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Macron on France’s World Cup victory
- 16.07.2018Tehran condemns terror attack in Azerbaijan’s Ganja city
- 16.07.2018Traitors try to commit terrorist acts in Azerbaijan under guise of religion – Turkish envoy
- 16.07.2018Azerbaijani official: Impossible to defeat national will
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijani president to pay an official visit to France
- 14.07.2018Mehmet Akarca: Azerbaijan’s anti-FETO fight makes Turkey proud
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Pakistani counterpart
- 13.07.2018Armenia disrespects UN Charter and member states, says Baku
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijani president receives Iranian minister of health and medical education
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijani President attends North Atlantic Council meeting
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijan commends reiterated support by NATO members to its territorial integrity – Baku
- 12.07.2018Azerbaijan’s foreign and defense ministers meet with U.S. secretaries of state and defense - UPDATED
- 12.07.2018President Aliyev meets UN under-secretary-general
- 12.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev attends meeting on NATO mission in Afghanistan
- 12.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev attended reception hosted for leaders of NATO allies and partner nations
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijani, Afghan presidents meet in Brussels
- 11.07.2018MFA: Azerbaijan commends reiterated continuous support by EU to its territorial integrity
- 11.07.2018Aktau to host summit of Caspian states in early August
- 11.07.2018Document on Azerbaijan-EU partnership priorities initialed
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan to promote real regional co-op during BSEC chairmanship: Foreign Ministry
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan, EU expected to initial document new partnership priorities
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan’s successes seriously disturb some foreign circles – MFA
- 10.07.2018President of Azerbaijan pays a visit to Belgium
- 10.07.2018Turkish president ends official visit to Azerbaijan
- 10.07.2018Erdogan: TANAP is a ‘strategic investment’ made in Turkey-Azerbaijan brotherhood
- 10.07.2018President Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Turkey relations stand at highest level
- 10.07.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish presidents hold expanded meeting
- 10.07.2018Erdogan: Turkey-Azerbaijan brotherhood will continue to grow stronger
- 10.07.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 10.07.2018Erdogan welcomed with official ceremony in Azerbaijan
- 10.07.2018Turkish president arrives in Azerbaijan
- 09.07.2018President Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan plans to implement large number of industrial and infrastructure projects - UPDATED
- 09.07.2018Baku: EU-Azerbaijan ties to develop despite position of some forces in European Parliament
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijani PM to attend Erdogan’s inauguration
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijan intends to raise co-op with SCO to higher level – Mammadyarov
- 23.09.2011Georgian Foreign Ministry: We support the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Azerbaijan within internationally recognized borders
- 23.09.2011Deputy Prime Minister Ali Hasanov: “Nagorno Karabakh conflict is not resolved because of widespread injustice in the world”
- 23.09.2011Ziyafat Asgarov: “Armenia didn’t hold a parade, it held a puppet show”
- 23.09.2011Ali Hasanov: If the international community shows weakness in front of Armenia, Azerbaijan will think over liberating its territories through other ways
- 23.09.2011Department head of Azerbaijan’s Presidential Administration: “Participation of Russian servicemen in the Armenian military parade is Russia’s own business”
- 23.09.2011Azerbaijani Foreign Minister meets with Turkish Prime Minister and President of Northern Cyprus