Azerbaijani, Georgian FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov met with Foreign Minister of Georgia Mikheil Janelidze, who is on a visit to Azerbaijan to attend the 6th trilateral meeting of the foreign ministers of Azerbaijan, Georgia and Turkey.
M.Janelidze expressed his gratitude to the Government of Azerbaijan for the support provided in extinguishing forest fires in Georgia and added that this support was a vivid example of friendly and good neighbourly relations between the two countries.
At the meeting, the ministers expressed satisfaction with the development of strategic relations between Azerbaijan and Georgia based on friendship, mutual respect, non-interference in each-other’s internal affairs and good neighbourhood.
The ministers reiterated the support to each-other’s territorial integrity and sovereignty within internationally recognized borders of Azerbaijan and Georgia in accordance with the norms and principles of international law.
During the meeting it was mentioned that the cooperation between the two countries in the fields of energy and transport provided opportunities for the implementation of large-scale projects of mutual benefit. The sides stressed that building upon the successful experience of Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan and Baku-Tbilisi-Erzurum oil and gas pipelines, our countries are taking active measures towards the implementation of Southern Gas Corridor which plays an important role in European energy security. Ministers exchanged views to continue their steadfast efforts to ensure the soonest completion Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway project and added that the launch of the BTK will serve to increase of trade turnover. They also highlighted the South-West transport route, which opens window of opportunities.
In this regard, the ministers emphasized the importance of a trilateral partnership mechanism that has already been established between Azerbaijan, Georgia and Turkey, in implementation of important joint infrastructure projects.
The parties added that the mechanism created between the three countries is unique and very effective, adding that the meetings of the ministers of finance, economy, customs and defense were held in this context.
The parties noted that the positions of Azerbaijan and Georgia on the international agenda are almost similar and stressed the importance of continuing the cooperation and mutual support between Azerbaijan and Georgia in the framework of international and regional organizations.
The sides also exchanged views on regional and global issues of mutual interest.
The 6th tripartite meeting of the foreign ministers of Azerbaijan, Turkey and Georgia is due to take place in Baku on Wednesday.
The tripartite meeting will consider the decisions taken at previous meetings and focus on issues of regional cooperation. A plan for tripartite cooperation in 2017-2019 will be approved following the meeting.
Related news releases
- 23.02.2018Moldovan president to visit Azerbaijan
- 23.02.2018U.S. aims to help Azerbaijan become a strong, prosperous state: Ambassador Cekuta
- 23.02.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets with head of Iran's Islamic Culture and Relations Organization
- 23.02.2018Erdogan: 415 sq km now under control in Afrin operation
- 23.02.2018Azerbaijan calls Dutch parliament’s decision ‘biased’
- 23.02.2018Film on Khojaly Genocide screened in California
- 22.02.2018OSCE PA special rep. on South Caucasus resigns
- 22.02.2018Ceremony of laying first border markers on Azerbaijani-Russian border held - UPDATED
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan's FM to address UN Human Rights Council's session
- 22.02.2018MFA: Appeals sent to int'l organizations for monitoring Azerbaijan presidential election
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan, Russia mulling border demarcation
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA, Prosecutor General’s Office issue joint statement on Sumgayit disturbances
- 21.02.2018Envoy Cekuta: U.S. supports transparent and credible electoral process
- 21.02.2018Ilham Aliyev receives ex-president of Dutch Senate
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani president receives Iran’s defense minister
- 21.02.2018Baku reacts to statement of French Foreign Ministry
- 20.02.2018Sergey Lebedev to lead CIS observation mission in Azerbaijan presidential election - UPDATED
- 20.02.2018Outgoing Czech ambassador to Azerbaijan to serve as envoy to Russia
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan names new ambassador to Jordan
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan appoints new consul in Batumi
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan mull energy cooperation
- 19.02.2018Montenegrin president to attend 6th Global Baku Forum
- 19.02.2018ODIHR needs assessment mission to arrive in Baku on Feb. 21 - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018PACE to decide on sending mission for observation of Azerbaijan presidential election in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Armenia’s hypocritical position is key impediment to achieving progress in Karabakh talks - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018EU special rep. for South Caucasus arrives in Baku
- 17.02.2018Baku hosts event in support of Turkey’s Afrin op
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM attends roundtable at Munich Security Conference
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia's speaking of peace is a 'clear hypocrisy'
- 16.02.2018Baku reacts to Russian MFA spokesperson’s remarks
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE chairman
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan invites int’l observers to monitor upcoming presidential election – EU envoy
- 16.02.201854th Munich Security Conference to start today
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president: New agreement with EU to create a new co-op format
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Donald Trump
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Italian deputy economic development minister
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend Munich Security Conference
- 15.02.2018Summit of Caspian states to take place in 2H18
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Serbian counterpart
- 14.02.2018GUAM to send observation mission for upcoming presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 09.09.2010OSCE Minsk Group co-chairmen meet with Armenian FM
- 10.09.2010Azerbaijan proposes to postpone consideration of the UN draft resolution on the Nagorno Karabakh conflict
- 10.09.2010Expert Ivan Katchanovski: I do not expect to see any country of the South Caucasus in NATO or the European Union in the next 10 years
- 09.09.2010US-Turkish relations, their influence on the region’s processes to be discussed in Washington
- 09.09.2010Azerbaijan to host events organized in co-operation with Venice Commission of the Council of Europe
- 09.09.2010OSCE Minsk Group co-chairs’ position infuriates Armenians