Azerbaijani, Georgian FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov met with Foreign Minister of Georgia Mikheil Janelidze, who is on a visit to Azerbaijan to attend the 6th trilateral meeting of the foreign ministers of Azerbaijan, Georgia and Turkey.
M.Janelidze expressed his gratitude to the Government of Azerbaijan for the support provided in extinguishing forest fires in Georgia and added that this support was a vivid example of friendly and good neighbourly relations between the two countries.
At the meeting, the ministers expressed satisfaction with the development of strategic relations between Azerbaijan and Georgia based on friendship, mutual respect, non-interference in each-other’s internal affairs and good neighbourhood.
The ministers reiterated the support to each-other’s territorial integrity and sovereignty within internationally recognized borders of Azerbaijan and Georgia in accordance with the norms and principles of international law.
During the meeting it was mentioned that the cooperation between the two countries in the fields of energy and transport provided opportunities for the implementation of large-scale projects of mutual benefit. The sides stressed that building upon the successful experience of Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan and Baku-Tbilisi-Erzurum oil and gas pipelines, our countries are taking active measures towards the implementation of Southern Gas Corridor which plays an important role in European energy security. Ministers exchanged views to continue their steadfast efforts to ensure the soonest completion Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway project and added that the launch of the BTK will serve to increase of trade turnover. They also highlighted the South-West transport route, which opens window of opportunities.
In this regard, the ministers emphasized the importance of a trilateral partnership mechanism that has already been established between Azerbaijan, Georgia and Turkey, in implementation of important joint infrastructure projects.
The parties added that the mechanism created between the three countries is unique and very effective, adding that the meetings of the ministers of finance, economy, customs and defense were held in this context.
The parties noted that the positions of Azerbaijan and Georgia on the international agenda are almost similar and stressed the importance of continuing the cooperation and mutual support between Azerbaijan and Georgia in the framework of international and regional organizations.
The sides also exchanged views on regional and global issues of mutual interest.
The 6th tripartite meeting of the foreign ministers of Azerbaijan, Turkey and Georgia is due to take place in Baku on Wednesday.
The tripartite meeting will consider the decisions taken at previous meetings and focus on issues of regional cooperation. A plan for tripartite cooperation in 2017-2019 will be approved following the meeting.
Related news releases
- 15.06.2018Vice-Speaker: Georgia's failure to attend TANAP opening ceremony was due to domestic political situation in the country
- 14.06.2018Delegation of Nizami Ganjavi International Center meets Israeli defense minister
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani flag hoisted outside Philadelphia Mayor’s Office
- 13.06.2018Donald Trump congratulates Ilham Aliyev on Eid al-Fitr
- 13.06.2018Process of border delimitation with Georgia ‘relatively passive’, says Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2018Putin: Political co-op between Russia, Azerbaijan is stable
- 13.06.2018Summit of Caspian states planned to be held in first half of August – Azerbaijani diplomat
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Russia again on Aug. 30 – Putin
- 13.06.2018PACE Monitoring Committee to appoint new co-rapporteur on Azerbaijan on June 28
- 13.06.2018PACE to appoint rapporteur for preparation of report on “political prisoners in Azerbaijan”
- 13.06.2018Matthew Bryza: TANAP has turned Azerbaijan into a key player in global energy market - INTERVIEW
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani President pays working visit to Russia
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Ukraine
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan invites Ukraine to join Southern Gas Corridor project
- 12.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets BP CEO - UPDATED
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani, Ukrainian presidents meet in Turkey
- 11.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Vladimir Putin
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijan grants temporary residence permits to over 3,000 foreigners in May
- 11.06.2018No plan for Azerbaijani, Armenian leaders to meet in Moscow – Yerevan
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijani president to attend FIFA World Cup opening ceremony in Russia
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev accepted credentials of incoming Bulgarian ambassador - UPDATED
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev received credentials of incoming Peruvian ambassador - UPDATED
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev received credentials of incoming Russian ambassador - UPDATED
- 09.06.2018Samad Seyidov: There is possibility of pressure on Azerbaijan under the name of “political prisoner”
- 09.06.2018Azerbaijan plays crucial role in geopolitical, transport and energy issues: ACRE
- 09.06.2018ACRE calls for end to anti-Azerbaijani decisions in Council of Europe
- 09.06.2018Baku Summit of Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe kicks off
- 08.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Queen Elizabeth II
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijan’s Cabinet of Ministers holds expanded meeting
- 08.06.2018Ilham Aliyev receives president of Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani FM receives incoming Russian ambassador
- 08.06.2018U.S. welcomes TANAP completion – diplomat
- 08.06.2018Incoming U.S. ambassador to Azerbaijan not named yet, diplomat says
- 08.06.2018Gambia supports Azerbaijan’s position on Karabakh conflict settlement – FM
- 08.06.2018FM: Gambian president resolutely condemns occupation of Azerbaijani lands by Armenia - UPDATED
- 08.06.2018Russia’s new ambassador to Azerbaijan arrives in Baku
- 07.06.2018Queen Elizabeth's birthday celebrated in Baku
- 07.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Turkey on June 12
- 07.06.2018U.S. Embassy in Azerbaijan hosts iftar dinner for Masalli women entrepreneurs
- 07.06.2018Santa Monica proclaims May 28 as ‘Azerbaijan National Day’
- 06.09.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish and Georgian FMs sign trilateral cooperation plan for 2017-2019
- 06.09.2017Allegations by the Guardian are ridiculous, biased: president’s press secretary
- 06.09.2017Summit of Azerbaijani, Turkish and Georgian presidents expected next year
- 06.09.2017Trilateral meeting of Azerbaijani, Turkish, Georgian FMs kicks off in Baku
- 06.09.2017Erdogan to visit Azerbaijan in late September
- 06.09.2017Lawyer: No appeal from Israel over Lapshin’s extradition