Azerbaijani, Georgian FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov met with Foreign Minister of Georgia Mikheil Janelidze, who is on a visit to Azerbaijan to attend the 6th trilateral meeting of the foreign ministers of Azerbaijan, Georgia and Turkey.
M.Janelidze expressed his gratitude to the Government of Azerbaijan for the support provided in extinguishing forest fires in Georgia and added that this support was a vivid example of friendly and good neighbourly relations between the two countries.
At the meeting, the ministers expressed satisfaction with the development of strategic relations between Azerbaijan and Georgia based on friendship, mutual respect, non-interference in each-other’s internal affairs and good neighbourhood.
The ministers reiterated the support to each-other’s territorial integrity and sovereignty within internationally recognized borders of Azerbaijan and Georgia in accordance with the norms and principles of international law.
During the meeting it was mentioned that the cooperation between the two countries in the fields of energy and transport provided opportunities for the implementation of large-scale projects of mutual benefit. The sides stressed that building upon the successful experience of Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan and Baku-Tbilisi-Erzurum oil and gas pipelines, our countries are taking active measures towards the implementation of Southern Gas Corridor which plays an important role in European energy security. Ministers exchanged views to continue their steadfast efforts to ensure the soonest completion Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway project and added that the launch of the BTK will serve to increase of trade turnover. They also highlighted the South-West transport route, which opens window of opportunities.
In this regard, the ministers emphasized the importance of a trilateral partnership mechanism that has already been established between Azerbaijan, Georgia and Turkey, in implementation of important joint infrastructure projects.
The parties added that the mechanism created between the three countries is unique and very effective, adding that the meetings of the ministers of finance, economy, customs and defense were held in this context.
The parties noted that the positions of Azerbaijan and Georgia on the international agenda are almost similar and stressed the importance of continuing the cooperation and mutual support between Azerbaijan and Georgia in the framework of international and regional organizations.
The sides also exchanged views on regional and global issues of mutual interest.
The 6th tripartite meeting of the foreign ministers of Azerbaijan, Turkey and Georgia is due to take place in Baku on Wednesday.
The tripartite meeting will consider the decisions taken at previous meetings and focus on issues of regional cooperation. A plan for tripartite cooperation in 2017-2019 will be approved following the meeting.
Related news releases
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan strongly condemned terror attack in mosque in Egypt
- 24.11.2017Donald Tusk: Unresolved conflicts in partner countries hamper cooperation
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Egyptian counterpart
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan, EU sign document on Trans-European Transport Network
- 24.11.2017EaP Summit welcomes good progress in talks on new Eu-Azerbaijan agreement
- 24.11.2017EU reaffirms support to territorial integrity of all its partners
- 24.11.2017Joint declaration adopted at EaP summit in Brussels
- 24.11.2017Russia’s key role in relations with Azerbaijan, Armenia ‘apparent’, says Merkel
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan, Russia sign plan for security cooperation
- 24.11.2017Eastern Partnership summit gets underway in Brussels
- 24.11.2017Alan Duncan: BTK and SGC projects – visible signs of extraordinary co-op between UK and Azerbaijan over past 25 years
- 24.11.2017EaP countries’ leaders officially welcomed in Brussels
- 24.11.2017Eastern Partnership summit to set new goals for future partnership – EU envoy
- 24.11.2017Brussels to host Eastern Partnership summit
- 23.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev invites NATO Sec-Gen to Azerbaijan
- 23.11.2017NATO calls on Azerbaijan to step up security sector reform
- 23.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan will continue partnership with NATO to provide stability in region
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijan, Benelux countries agree on visa exemption for service passport holders
- 23.11.2017EU hopes talks on new agreement with Azerbaijan will be finalized next year
- 23.11.2017CMO chairman expresses support for Russia’s anti-ISIL operations
- 23.11.2017EU commissioner: ‘BTK project is in our interest’
- 23.11.2017Johannes Hahn: Eastern Partnership Declaration to be signed tomorrow
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijan, Japan hold political consultations
- 23.11.2017EU says aviation agreement with Azerbaijan will definitely enhance co-op in this sector
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijani president attends NATO's North Atlantic Council meeting
- 23.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev, NATO Sec-Gen Stoltenberg make press statements
- 22.11.2017Head of Azerbaijani PA delivers lecture at meeting of secretaries of CIS security councils
- 22.11.2017Georgian President and PM congratulate President Ilham Aliyev on 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations
- 22.11.2017Azerbaijani, Ukrainian presidents to meet in Brussels
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijani MPs to attend PACE events
- 21.11.2017FM Mammadyarov: Azerbaijan supports combating all forms of terrorism
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijani president congratulates Lebanese counterpart
- 21.11.2017EU concerned over unresolved conflicts in Eastern Partnership region
- 21.11.2017Fuad Isgandarov: EU attitude towards Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity to change soon
- 20.11.2017Top diplomats from Caspian states to meet in Moscow on December 4-5
- 20.11.2017New EU strategy puts emphasis on ties with neighboring countries – envoy
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, Russian FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 20.11.2017Baku to host meeting of Russia-Azerbaijan intergovernmental commission on military-technical co-op
- 20.11.2017Lavrov comments on possible creation of Azerbaijan-Turkey-Russia co-op format
- 20.11.2017Lavrov: ‘Menu’ on Karabakh conflict settlement on negotiating table
- 06.09.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish and Georgian FMs sign trilateral cooperation plan for 2017-2019
- 06.09.2017Allegations by the Guardian are ridiculous, biased: president’s press secretary
- 06.09.2017Summit of Azerbaijani, Turkish and Georgian presidents expected next year
- 06.09.2017Trilateral meeting of Azerbaijani, Turkish, Georgian FMs kicks off in Baku
- 06.09.2017Erdogan to visit Azerbaijan in late September
- 06.09.2017Lawyer: No appeal from Israel over Lapshin’s extradition