Azerbaijani, Georgian FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov met with Foreign Minister of Georgia Mikheil Janelidze, who is on a visit to Azerbaijan to attend the 6th trilateral meeting of the foreign ministers of Azerbaijan, Georgia and Turkey.
M.Janelidze expressed his gratitude to the Government of Azerbaijan for the support provided in extinguishing forest fires in Georgia and added that this support was a vivid example of friendly and good neighbourly relations between the two countries.
At the meeting, the ministers expressed satisfaction with the development of strategic relations between Azerbaijan and Georgia based on friendship, mutual respect, non-interference in each-other’s internal affairs and good neighbourhood.
The ministers reiterated the support to each-other’s territorial integrity and sovereignty within internationally recognized borders of Azerbaijan and Georgia in accordance with the norms and principles of international law.
During the meeting it was mentioned that the cooperation between the two countries in the fields of energy and transport provided opportunities for the implementation of large-scale projects of mutual benefit. The sides stressed that building upon the successful experience of Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan and Baku-Tbilisi-Erzurum oil and gas pipelines, our countries are taking active measures towards the implementation of Southern Gas Corridor which plays an important role in European energy security. Ministers exchanged views to continue their steadfast efforts to ensure the soonest completion Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway project and added that the launch of the BTK will serve to increase of trade turnover. They also highlighted the South-West transport route, which opens window of opportunities.
In this regard, the ministers emphasized the importance of a trilateral partnership mechanism that has already been established between Azerbaijan, Georgia and Turkey, in implementation of important joint infrastructure projects.
The parties added that the mechanism created between the three countries is unique and very effective, adding that the meetings of the ministers of finance, economy, customs and defense were held in this context.
The parties noted that the positions of Azerbaijan and Georgia on the international agenda are almost similar and stressed the importance of continuing the cooperation and mutual support between Azerbaijan and Georgia in the framework of international and regional organizations.
The sides also exchanged views on regional and global issues of mutual interest.
The 6th tripartite meeting of the foreign ministers of Azerbaijan, Turkey and Georgia is due to take place in Baku on Wednesday.
The tripartite meeting will consider the decisions taken at previous meetings and focus on issues of regional cooperation. A plan for tripartite cooperation in 2017-2019 will be approved following the meeting.
Related news releases
- 21.09.2017Armenian MPs to attend Euronest PA conference in Baku
- 21.09.2017Turkic Council foreign ministers meet in New York
- 21.09.2017Work underway to bring home Azerbaijani children found in territories freed from ISIL
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijan preparing for Eastern Partnership summit: deputy FM
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijan says ‘no serious progress’ in talks with WTO
- 21.09.2017EU-Azerbaijan subcommittee on trade to hold meeting in Brussels
- 21.09.2017New Azerbaijan-EU deal unlikely to be signed by year-end – deputy FM
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijan, EU to mull new partnership priorities in late September
- 21.09.2017Tehran to host discussions on Caspian Sea’s legal status
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijani FM: Non-Aligned Movement plays crucial role in maintaining int’l peace
- 20.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres in New York
- 20.09.2017President: Since 2004, Azerbaijan’s economy has grown more than threefold
- 20.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan plays important role on global energy market
- 20.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Development of democracy, human rights protection among Azerbaijan’s top priorities
- 20.09.2017Chairman of EU Political and Security Committee to visit Azerbaijan
- 20.09.2017Jankauskas announces date of next round of EU-Azerbaijan talks on new deal - UPDATED
- 20.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev to address UN General Assembly
- 20.09.2017FM: Azerbaijan supports lasting solution to Israeli-Palestinian conflict
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijani President attends state banquet at UN headquarters
- 20.09.2017Benjamin Netanyahu: “Israel expanded corporation with Azerbaijan" - VIDEO
- 19.09.2017China, Azerbaijan consider education a priority area – ambassador
- 19.09.2017PACE co-rapporteurs make statement following their visit to Azerbaijan
- 19.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with representatives of American Jewish organizations in New York
- 18.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets with chairman of Foundation for Ethnic Understanding in New York
- 17.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in the United States for visit
- 15.09.2017First Vice President Mehriban Aliyeva meets with French Minister of State attached to Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Mexican counterpart
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan checking if its citizens among London underground attack victims
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijani FM meets Lao president
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets French Secretary of State to Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs
- 14.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives PACE co-rapporteurs - UPDATED
- 14.09.2017Moscow hosts int’l conference on Azerbaijan-Russia relations - UPDATED
- 14.09.2017UK hails Azerbaijan’s clear stance on counterterrorism
- 14.09.2017Alan Duncan: British PM intends to meet Azerbaijani president soon
- 14.09.2017UK says new ACG contract will greatly contribute to Azerbaijan’s economy
- 14.09.2017Russia’s ruling party welcomes creation of ‘Moscow-Baku axis’
- 14.09.2017Azerbaijani defense minister visits Israel’s leading defense industry enterprises
- 14.09.2017US companies continue support for Azerbaijan’s key role in global energy security
- 14.09.2017Azerbaijani president meets with Turkish energy minister
- 14.09.2017Ambassador Cekuta: US-Azerbaijan co-op covers three equally important areas
- 06.09.2017Azerbaijani, Turkish and Georgian FMs sign trilateral cooperation plan for 2017-2019
- 06.09.2017Allegations by the Guardian are ridiculous, biased: president’s press secretary
- 06.09.2017Summit of Azerbaijani, Turkish and Georgian presidents expected next year
- 06.09.2017Trilateral meeting of Azerbaijani, Turkish, Georgian FMs kicks off in Baku
- 06.09.2017Erdogan to visit Azerbaijan in late September
- 06.09.2017Lawyer: No appeal from Israel over Lapshin’s extradition