Lawyer: No appeal from Israel over Lapshin’s extradition
Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Justice received no appeal from the Israeli government over the extradition of blogger Alexander Lapshin, sentenced to three years in prison in Azerbaijan, his lawyer Edward Chernin told APA.
“The Israeli government should within six days send an appeal to the Azerbaijani Justice Ministry over Lapshin’s extradition. After this, we will appeal to the court,” said the lawyer.
Earlier, Lapshin had asked Israel’s Embassy in Azerbaijan for his extradition to Israel.
Alexander Lapshin is a citizen of several countries and had a criminal collusion with Armenians in the occupied Azerbaijani territories. He also illegally visited these territories.
Lapshin was detained in Belarus on December 15, 2016 at the request of the Azerbaijani government. He was brought to Azerbaijan on February 7, 2017.
On July 20, Lapshin was sentenced to three years in prison by the Baku Court on Grave Crimes. He will serve the sentence in a correctional facility upon the court decision.
Lapshin was charged under articles 281.2 (public appeals against the state) and 318.2 (illegal border crossing).
The charge against Lapshin under Article 281.2 of the Azerbaijani Criminal Code (public appeals against the state) was dropped due to a lack of evidence.
Related news releases
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan strongly condemned terror attack in mosque in Egypt
- 24.11.2017Donald Tusk: Unresolved conflicts in partner countries hamper cooperation
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Egyptian counterpart
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan, EU sign document on Trans-European Transport Network
- 24.11.2017EaP Summit welcomes good progress in talks on new Eu-Azerbaijan agreement
- 24.11.2017EU reaffirms support to territorial integrity of all its partners
- 24.11.2017Joint declaration adopted at EaP summit in Brussels
- 24.11.2017Russia’s key role in relations with Azerbaijan, Armenia ‘apparent’, says Merkel
- 24.11.2017Azerbaijan, Russia sign plan for security cooperation
- 24.11.2017Eastern Partnership summit gets underway in Brussels
- 24.11.2017Alan Duncan: BTK and SGC projects – visible signs of extraordinary co-op between UK and Azerbaijan over past 25 years
- 24.11.2017EaP countries’ leaders officially welcomed in Brussels
- 24.11.2017Eastern Partnership summit to set new goals for future partnership – EU envoy
- 24.11.2017Brussels to host Eastern Partnership summit
- 23.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev invites NATO Sec-Gen to Azerbaijan
- 23.11.2017NATO calls on Azerbaijan to step up security sector reform
- 23.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan will continue partnership with NATO to provide stability in region
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijan, Benelux countries agree on visa exemption for service passport holders
- 23.11.2017EU hopes talks on new agreement with Azerbaijan will be finalized next year
- 23.11.2017CMO chairman expresses support for Russia’s anti-ISIL operations
- 23.11.2017EU commissioner: ‘BTK project is in our interest’
- 23.11.2017Johannes Hahn: Eastern Partnership Declaration to be signed tomorrow
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijan, Japan hold political consultations
- 23.11.2017EU says aviation agreement with Azerbaijan will definitely enhance co-op in this sector
- 23.11.2017Azerbaijani president attends NATO's North Atlantic Council meeting
- 23.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev, NATO Sec-Gen Stoltenberg make press statements
- 22.11.2017Head of Azerbaijani PA delivers lecture at meeting of secretaries of CIS security councils
- 22.11.2017Georgian President and PM congratulate President Ilham Aliyev on 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations
- 22.11.2017Azerbaijani, Ukrainian presidents to meet in Brussels
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijani MPs to attend PACE events
- 21.11.2017FM Mammadyarov: Azerbaijan supports combating all forms of terrorism
- 21.11.2017Azerbaijani president congratulates Lebanese counterpart
- 21.11.2017EU concerned over unresolved conflicts in Eastern Partnership region
- 21.11.2017Fuad Isgandarov: EU attitude towards Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity to change soon
- 20.11.2017Top diplomats from Caspian states to meet in Moscow on December 4-5
- 20.11.2017New EU strategy puts emphasis on ties with neighboring countries – envoy
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, Russian FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 20.11.2017Baku to host meeting of Russia-Azerbaijan intergovernmental commission on military-technical co-op
- 20.11.2017Lavrov comments on possible creation of Azerbaijan-Turkey-Russia co-op format
- 20.11.2017Lavrov: ‘Menu’ on Karabakh conflict settlement on negotiating table
- 06.09.2017Erdogan to visit Azerbaijan in late September
- 06.09.2017Trilateral meeting of Azerbaijani, Turkish, Georgian FMs kicks off in Baku
- 06.09.2017Azerbaijani, Georgian FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 06.09.2017Turkish, Georgian foreign ministers meet in Baku
- 05.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Turkish FM - UPDATED
- 05.09.2017Azerbaijan to appoint trade representatives in embassies, consulates