Latvian president: Political will needed to resolve all conflicts
Political will is needed to resolve all conflicts, said President of Latvia Raimonds Vejonis.
He made the remarks at a panel discussion entitled “The Future of International Relations” held as part of the 5th Baku Global Forum in Baku March 16, APA reported.
Latvia supports a peaceful solution to all conflicts in line with the principles of territorial integrity and international law, noted the president.
“Conflict resolution is important for Europe. It also requires political will. Conflicts in Nagorno-Karabakh, Georgia, Ukraine and Moldova should be resolved peacefully,” he added.
The ongoing conflicts pose a threat to the global order, said Vejonis, calling the UN ‘the most suitable platform’ for carrying out activities at the global level.
“To stabilize international relations, we shouldn’t underestimate the UN which plays an important role in ensuring global security, economic and social cooperation, and protection of human rights,” he added.
The president went on to note that the Euro-Atlantic space is also facing a security problem, and Russia is ready to change the sovereignty of countries by force.
“We are witnessing the severe consequences of extremism, corruption, human rights violations. This is more common in North Africa and the Middle East”, he said.
Related news releases
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijani foreign minister attends GUAM-Japan ministerial meeting
- 22.09.2017Armenian MPs to go sightseeing in Baku
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijani deputy education minister blames Armenian MP for making false remarks at Baku conference
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijan calls on EU to display ‘decisive stance’ against Armenia
- 22.09.2017GUAM countries interested in development of mutually beneficial co-op with US
- 22.09.2017Azerbaijan says energy co-op with EU has reached level of strategic partnership
- 22.09.2017NATO Secretary General's Special Representative to visit Azerbaijan
- 21.09.2017Armenian MPs to attend Euronest PA conference in Baku
- 21.09.2017Turkic Council foreign ministers meet in New York
- 21.09.2017Work underway to bring home Azerbaijani children found in territories freed from ISIL
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijan preparing for Eastern Partnership summit: deputy FM
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijan says ‘no serious progress’ in talks with WTO
- 21.09.2017EU-Azerbaijan subcommittee on trade to hold meeting in Brussels
- 21.09.2017New Azerbaijan-EU deal unlikely to be signed by year-end – deputy FM
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijan, EU to mull new partnership priorities in late September
- 21.09.2017Tehran to host discussions on Caspian Sea’s legal status
- 21.09.2017Azerbaijani FM: Non-Aligned Movement plays crucial role in maintaining int’l peace
- 20.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres in New York
- 20.09.2017President: Since 2004, Azerbaijan’s economy has grown more than threefold
- 20.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan plays important role on global energy market
- 20.09.2017Ilham Aliyev: Development of democracy, human rights protection among Azerbaijan’s top priorities
- 20.09.2017Chairman of EU Political and Security Committee to visit Azerbaijan
- 20.09.2017Jankauskas announces date of next round of EU-Azerbaijan talks on new deal - UPDATED
- 20.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev to address UN General Assembly
- 20.09.2017FM: Azerbaijan supports lasting solution to Israeli-Palestinian conflict
- 20.09.2017Azerbaijani President attends state banquet at UN headquarters
- 20.09.2017Benjamin Netanyahu: “Israel expanded corporation with Azerbaijan" - VIDEO
- 19.09.2017China, Azerbaijan consider education a priority area – ambassador
- 19.09.2017PACE co-rapporteurs make statement following their visit to Azerbaijan
- 19.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with representatives of American Jewish organizations in New York
- 18.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets with chairman of Foundation for Ethnic Understanding in New York
- 17.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrived in the United States for visit
- 15.09.2017First Vice President Mehriban Aliyeva meets with French Minister of State attached to Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Mexican counterpart
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijan checking if its citizens among London underground attack victims
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijani FM meets Lao president
- 15.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets French Secretary of State to Minister for Europe and Foreign Affairs
- 14.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives PACE co-rapporteurs - UPDATED
- 14.09.2017Moscow hosts int’l conference on Azerbaijan-Russia relations - UPDATED
- 14.09.2017UK hails Azerbaijan’s clear stance on counterterrorism
- 07.04.2017President: India’s diverse ties with Azerbaijan will attain newer heights
- 07.04.2017Azerbaijan takes necessary measures with regard to depiction of Nakhchivan as Armenian territory in German textbook
- 07.04.2017President Ilham Aliyev met with TV and radio host of All-Russia State Television and Radio Broadcasting Company Vladimir Solovyov
- 07.04.2017Mard: I’ll try to work on Azerbaijan in my future endeavors
- 07.04.2017EU implements 45 twinning projects in Azerbaijan
- 07.04.2017Next round of EU-Azerbaijan talks to begin in next few weeks