Latvia’s stance on Nagorno-Karabakh conflict remains unchanged – ambassador
He was commenting on the illegal visit of Latvian MP Sergei Potapkin to the Armenian-occupied Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan.
According to the ambassador, Potapkin’s visit to Nagorno-Karabakh was of individual nature and has nothing to do with Latvia’s position on the Nagorno-Karabakh.
Latvia believes the conflict must be resolved peacefully, in compliance with the basic principles of international law, he stressed.
Latvia supports the negotiations through the OSCE Minsk Group on the settlement of the conflict, Maklakovs added.
“The Foreign Ministry of Latvia has expressed concern over the escalation on the contact line of Armenian and Azerbaijani troops and along the Armenia-Azerbaijan border, urging the parties to stop hostilities and restore the ceasefire,” he noted.
The ambassador said that Latvia and Azerbaijan are close partners.
“Our cooperation agenda is dynamic. Latvia welcomes open and constructive political dialogue with Azerbaijan. Constant interaction between the ministries of foreign affairs, economy, health, transport, and defense is indicative of the intensive dialogue between us,” he noted.
Related news releases
- 17.01.2018EU-Azerbaijan comprehensive agreement to be discussed at European Parliament
- 17.01.2018PUIC starts its 13th Session
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijani and French FMs met in Paris - UPDATED
- 16.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Turkey to continue to implement major projects this year - UPDATED
- 16.01.2018Bulgarian PM completes Azerbaijan visit
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev: Bulgaria and Azerbaijan will continue to cooperate successfully
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev has dinner with Bulgarian PM Boyko Borissov
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM make press statements
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with French counterpart
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM hold expanded meeting
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president holds one-on-one meeting with Bulgarian PM
- 15.01.2018Iran’s Rouhani to visit Baku late March
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan-Moldova intergovernmental commission on economic co-op to meet in first half of 2018
- 15.01.2018Russia says satisfied with strategic partnership with Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Iranian counterpart
- 13.01.2018Azerbaijan stands firmly next to Turkey on all regional issues – envoy
- 12.01.2018Kestutis Jankauskas: "Negotiations on the aviation agreement between Azerbaijan and the EU are almost completed"
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijani, Swiss presidents to meet in Davos
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijan highly values Italy’s willingness to take responsibility of chairing OSCE at challenging period
- 11.01.2018Azerbaijan joins Framework Agreement on Facilitation of Cross-border Paperless Trade in Asia and the Pacific
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev extends condolences over death Georgia’s first ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 09.01.2018Bulgarian president phones President Ilham Aliyev
- 08.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming ambassadors - UPDATED
- 08.01.2018NATO official comments on upcoming high-level meeting with Russia in Baku
- 05.01.2018Samad Seyidov comments on change in composition of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE
- 04.01.2018Patriarch Kirill sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 04.01.2018Staff of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE changed - UPDATED
- 03.01.2018Azerbaijan and EU to hold next round of negotiations in February
- 30.12.2017We hope that conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia will be resolved in 2018 – Iranian spokesman
- 30.12.2017Putin congratulates Azerbaijani president
- 29.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives letter from Georgian counterpart
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani MPs slam Georgia’s intention to provide Armenia with access to Russia
- 29.12.2017Ambassador: Azerbaijan-Georgia economic cooperation yet to reach its potential - INTERVIEW
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan condemns missile attacks against Saudi Arabia
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijani president to visit Belarus
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan’s list of undesirable persons includes names of 600 people: Foreign Ministry
- 28.12.2017Date set for ministerial conference of Non-Aligned Movement in Baku
- 28.12.2017MFA: Azerbaijan pursued independent, multi-vector, balanced foreign policy in 2017
- 27.12.2017Mehriban Aliyeva: "Azerbaijan has become one of the centers of inter-civilization dialogue in the world"
- 26.12.2017Azerbaijani president pays working visit to Russia
- 12.04.2016Azerbaijani ambassador meets with Italian education minister
- 13.04.2016Greek MP’s visit to Karabakh doesn't reflect official position of Greece – embassy
- 13.04.2016Azerbaijani president arrives in Turkey for working visit
- 12.04.2016President Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Malaysia relations of pivotal importance
- 12.04.2016Baku reacts to Greek, Latvian MPs’ illegal visit to occupied Nagorno-Karabakh
- 12.04.2016Azerbaijan urges int’l community to demand from Armenia to cease illegal occupation of territories