Lajcak: Countries that disrespect UN rules attack multiculturalism
An event on the topic “Current State of Multilateral Cooperation” was held at ADA University in Baku on April 5.
The event was attended by ADA University Rector Hafiz Pashayev, Permanent Representative of Azerbaijan to the United Nations Yashar Aliyev, UN Resident Coordinator Ghulam Isaczai, President of the 72nd Session of the UN General Assembly Miroslav Lajcak, as well as students and teachers of ADA University.
The ADA University rector made the keynote remarks at the event.
Addressing the event, Miroslav Lajcak spoke about the importance of multiculturalism and noted that multiculturalism is the way to achieve common goals by coordinating national activities and positions.
“Multiculturalism also helps solve common solutions. The UN is a unique organization, because it is a multicultural forum. I know that the UN has sufficient mechanisms to tackle all difficulties. At present, there is a great need for multiculturalism,” he said.
Countries that disrespect the UN rules attack multiculturalism, Lajcak stressed.
Lajcak then spoke about the priorities of the UN General Assembly for 2018.
“Firstly, we should focus our efforts to prevent conflicts. The second priority is migration crisis. We must emphasize the positive aspects of migration. Our third priority is the continuation of sustainable development. The fourth priority is human rights and human dignity, and the fifth is reform. If we want to strengthen the system, we must support multiculturalism. We need to increase our common interests through dialogue. We need to bring the UN closer to people. We are doing everything to improve human life. We should be confident in people valuing this. I would like to call on each of you; there is no better way than multiculturalism to protect the interests of each country. We all want to live in a peaceful, prosperous country where human rights are respected. We are in need of a universal platform, such as the UN. No international platform can replace the UN. The current global atmosphere is very difficult," he added.
Related news releases
- 23.05.2018Russian PM congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 23.05.2018Georgian gov’t won’t oppose public opinion and agree to open alternative route to Armenia – political analyst
- 23.05.2018Mayor of Las Vegas signs proclamation on 100th anniversary of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic
- 22.05.2018EU, Azerbaijan to hold talks on new agreement in late May
- 22.05.2018King of Saudi Arabia congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 22.05.2018Queen Elizabeth II congratulates President Ilham Aliyev
- 22.05.2018Leaders of some countries congratulate Azerbaijani president
- 22.05.2018Serbian president ends official visit to Azerbaijan
- 22.05.2018Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry holds expanded meeting
- 22.05.2018George Tsereteli: No decision on OSCE PA’s special rep. for South Caucasus
- 22.05.2018OSCE PA President: Enough resources for constructive cooperation with Azerbaijan - INTERVIEW
- 22.05.2018California Governor congratulates Azerbaijan on 100th anniversary of ADR
- 21.05.2018Vucic: Serbia intends to develop co-op with Azerbaijan in all spheres
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Relations with Serbia of great importance to Azerbaijan
- 21.05.2018Aleksandar Vucic: Much remains to be done in Serbia in terms of Azerbaijan’s interests
- 21.05.2018President Vucic: Serbia is friendly country to Azerbaijan
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan-Serbia ties will continue to develop successfully
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani, Serbian presidents make press statements
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijan, Serbia ink several documents
- 21.05.2018Presidents of Azerbaijan, Serbia hold expanded meeting
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani, Serbian presidents hold one-on-one meeting
- 21.05.2018Serbia’s Vucic officially welcomed in Baku
- 21.05.2018Ilham Aliyev: Significant work done towards rapid reduction of unemployment - UPDATED
- 21.05.2018Serbian president arrives in Azerbaijan
- 21.05.2018Legal status of Caspian Sea to be discussed in Astana on May 21-24
- 19.05.2018Poroshenko signs decree on recalling Ukraine’s representatives from CIS statutory bodies
- 19.05.2018Elmar Mammadyarov: "Azerbaijan remains ready to contribute to the just solution of the Palestinian issue"
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan’s First Vice-President meets with UNESCO Director General in Paris
- 18.05.2018Mehriban Aliyev attends conference on 80th birthday of Koïchiro Matsuura in Paris
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijani, Kyrgyz presidents hold phone talk
- 18.05.2018Baku to convey serious protest to Russian Foreign Ministry
- 16.05.2018Head of delegation: No one will accept such Council of Europe
- 16.05.2018President Ilham Aliyev sends congratulatory letter to King of Norway
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: I’ve been interrogated for 3 hours
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: Those who face sanctions in PACE are the ones who support Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 16.05.2018Head of delegation: Azerbaijan to continue activity in PACE
- 16.05.2018Samad Seyidov: PACE decision – a manifestation of double standard attitude towards Azerbaijan
- 16.05.2018Jamewstown Foundation president: BTK to carry military cargo, Turkey gives initial consent
- 16.05.2018Final declaration of PABSEC Istanbul summit does not include paragraph on al-Quds
- 16.05.2018PACE committee imposes sanction on Azerbaijani MP Samad Seyidov
- 05.04.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Nepalese foreign minister - UPDATED
- 05.04.2018Turkish FM: Palestine needs independence and security
- 05.04.2018Israel grossly violates international law by keeping Gaza Strip in blockade – Iranian FM
- 05.04.2018Ilham Aliyev meets with UN General Assembly president - UPDATED
- 05.04.2018OSCE PA to send election observation mission to Azerbaijan next week
- 05.04.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Venezuelan foreign minister - UPDATED