LA Jewish community leaders send letter to Azerbaijani president
Leaders of the Jewish community in Los Angeles have sent a congratulatory letter to Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev on the occasion of the centenary of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic.
“As leaders of the Jewish community in Los Angeles, we sincerely congratulate you on the 100th anniversary of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic - first secular republic in the Muslim world (1918-1920) and the first Muslim country to give women the right to vote (1919),” reads the letter.
The letter notes that over the past 27 years after the collapse of the Soviet Union, Azerbaijan has strengthened its independence and become an important economic power in the region and an influential state on an international level.
The letter further hails the strategic partnership between Azerbaijan and the United States which continues to cooperate in many important areas, in particularly, in the fields of energy security, counterterrorism and economic diversification.
The Jewish community leaders also said that they attach great value to the close friendly relations between Azerbaijan and Israel, which is one of the first countries to recognize Azerbaijan’s independence in the early 1990s and open its embassy in Baku.
“Over the past period, the Azerbaijani-Israeli partnership has expanded, covering many areas of great interest to mutual countries,” says the letter.
The letter was signed by Michael Tuchin, member of the Board of Directors and Executive Committee of the Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles, former president of University Synagogue; Rabbi Abraham Cooper, Simon Wiesenthal Center associate dean; Scott Edelman, President of the American Jewish Committee-Los Angeles; Jay Sanderson, President and CEO of the Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles; Rabbi Morley T. Feinstein of University Synagogue, former president of the Board of Rabbis of Southern California; Rabbi Michael Gotlieb of Kehillat Ma'arav; Rabbi Joel Thal Simonds, Executive Director of the Jewish Center for Justice; Richard Pachulski, former president of the Wilshire Boulevard Temple; Angela Maddahi, President of Sinai Temple Los Angeles, Susan Aziz Zadeh, President of the Iranian American Jewish Federation, Rabbi David Shofet, founder of the Nessah Synagogue.
Related news releases
- 19.06.2018Russian State Duma chairman to visit Azerbaijan
- 19.06.2018UN High Commissioner for Human Rights calls Azerbaijan actively cooperating country
- 19.06.2018Azerbaijani parliament speaker to visit China
- 18.06.2018Baku: No Azerbaijani nationals among Japan earthquake victims
- 15.06.2018Vice-Speaker: Georgia's failure to attend TANAP opening ceremony was due to domestic political situation in the country
- 14.06.2018Delegation of Nizami Ganjavi International Center meets Israeli defense minister
- 14.06.2018Azerbaijani flag hoisted outside Philadelphia Mayor’s Office
- 13.06.2018Donald Trump congratulates Ilham Aliyev on Eid al-Fitr
- 13.06.2018Process of border delimitation with Georgia ‘relatively passive’, says Azerbaijan
- 13.06.2018Putin: Political co-op between Russia, Azerbaijan is stable
- 13.06.2018Summit of Caspian states planned to be held in first half of August – Azerbaijani diplomat
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Russia again on Aug. 30 – Putin
- 13.06.2018PACE Monitoring Committee to appoint new co-rapporteur on Azerbaijan on June 28
- 13.06.2018PACE to appoint rapporteur for preparation of report on “political prisoners in Azerbaijan”
- 13.06.2018Matthew Bryza: TANAP has turned Azerbaijan into a key player in global energy market - INTERVIEW
- 13.06.2018Azerbaijani President pays working visit to Russia
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani president to visit Ukraine
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijan invites Ukraine to join Southern Gas Corridor project
- 12.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets BP CEO - UPDATED
- 12.06.2018Azerbaijani, Ukrainian presidents meet in Turkey
- 11.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Vladimir Putin
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijan grants temporary residence permits to over 3,000 foreigners in May
- 11.06.2018No plan for Azerbaijani, Armenian leaders to meet in Moscow – Yerevan
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijani president to attend FIFA World Cup opening ceremony in Russia
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev accepted credentials of incoming Bulgarian ambassador - UPDATED
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev received credentials of incoming Peruvian ambassador - UPDATED
- 10.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev received credentials of incoming Russian ambassador - UPDATED
- 09.06.2018Samad Seyidov: There is possibility of pressure on Azerbaijan under the name of “political prisoner”
- 09.06.2018Azerbaijan plays crucial role in geopolitical, transport and energy issues: ACRE
- 09.06.2018ACRE calls for end to anti-Azerbaijani decisions in Council of Europe
- 09.06.2018Baku Summit of Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe kicks off
- 08.06.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Queen Elizabeth II
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijan’s Cabinet of Ministers holds expanded meeting
- 08.06.2018Ilham Aliyev receives president of Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe
- 08.06.2018Azerbaijani FM receives incoming Russian ambassador
- 08.06.2018U.S. welcomes TANAP completion – diplomat
- 08.06.2018Incoming U.S. ambassador to Azerbaijan not named yet, diplomat says
- 08.06.2018Gambia supports Azerbaijan’s position on Karabakh conflict settlement – FM
- 08.06.2018FM: Gambian president resolutely condemns occupation of Azerbaijani lands by Armenia - UPDATED
- 08.06.2018Russia’s new ambassador to Azerbaijan arrives in Baku
- 30.05.2018Famous Russian journalist: Coup in Armenia masterminded by US, Israel - INTERVIEW
- 30.05.2018OSCE PA president sends congratulatory letter to Azerbaijani president
- 30.05.2018Mahmoud Abbas sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 30.05.2018Trump: Azerbaijan’s prolific oil fields bring stability to world energy markets
- 29.05.2018President of Israel sends congratulatory letter to Ilham Aliyev
- 29.05.2018Pope sends a congratulatory letter to the President of Azerbaijan