Kurdistan referendum was a wrong step: Iraqi diplomat
Iraqi Kurdistan Regional Government's referendum on independence was a wrong step, the Iraqi Charge D'affaires to Azerbaijan, Fadhil Awad Al Shuwaili, said at a press conference on Tuesday, APA reported.
Calling the referendum ‘unconstitutional’, the diplomat rejected allegations that Iraqi Kurds are out of the authorities.
“Many positions in the government of Iraq are held by Kurds, and they have the right to represent the Iraqi state. The Iraqi president is also Kurdish,” the charge d'affaires said stressing that taking such a step leads to the creation of a state on the basis of ‘ethnic cleansing’, and that is not right.
The diplomat warned that as Kirkuk is also part of Iraq, Kurdistan does not have the right to declare it as its territory.
“We stand against the de-facto occupation of Kirkuk where all the representatives of the Iraqi people live in peace,” he said.
“The Kurds themselves differ on the referendum. They protest against the superiority of one party over another,” the Iraqi diplomat added.
He emphasized that the international community supports Iraq’s territorial integrity and considers the Kurdistan referendum illegal.
According to him, the regional government has the right to control all airports and close illegal checkpoints.
“Oil fields in Kurdistan belong to the entire Iraq, and the central government has the right to regain control over them,” he added.
The charge d'affaires said he hopes that Kurdistan will annul the result of the referendum and begin negotiations.
“Negotiations with Kurdistan may be possible only after the results of the referendum are annulled. The best way to preserve the unity of the state lies in dialogue,” Al Shuwaili underlined.
- 13.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: U.S. should reconsider its decision on Jerusalem
- 13.12.2017U.S. provides over $30.8 million for mine and UXO clearance in Azerbaijan
- 13.12.2017Mahmoud Abbas rules out U.S. mediator role in Palestine-Israel peace process
- 13.12.2017Turkey’s Erdogan calls for recognition of Jerusalem as ‘occupied capital of Palestine’
- 13.12.2017Erdogan calls Israel an ‘occupying and terror state’
- 13.12.2017OIC summit on Jerusalem kicks off in Istanbul
- 13.12.2017OIC FMs meet in Istanbul to discuss Jerusalem issue
- 12.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Turkey
- 12.12.2017Iran’s Rouhani to visit Azerbaijan next year
- 12.12.2017ECHR: Armenia has to pay for damage to Azerbaijani IDPs
- 12.12.2017Caucasian Muslims Office issues statement on al-Quds
- 12.12.2017Kazakh President Nazarbayev to propose date for Caspian summit
- 12.12.2017Deputy FM says he doesn’t believe in Azerbaijan’s accession to WTO in coming years
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan says issues on aviation agreement with EU can be resolved in early 2018
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan, Georgia to continue negotiations on border delimitation early next year
- 12.12.2017Caspian states to sign separate agreement on water surface division
- 12.12.2017No middle line or any common principle for division of Caspian seabed: Azerbaijani deputy FM
- 12.12.2017Talks on new Azerbaijan-EU agreement may end by late 2018 – deputy FM
- 11.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian State Duma delegation
- 09.12.2017Erdogan invites Ilham Aliyev to attend OIC summit on Jerusalem issue
- 08.12.2017President Aliyev appoints Azerbaijan’s honorary consul to Djibouti
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan appoints new ambassador to Croatia
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan recalls ambassador from Tajikistan
- 08.12.2017Russia never requested Azerbaijan for agrément for Georgy Zuev - Lavrov
- 08.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Sudanese ambassador
- 07.12.2017Elmar Mammadyarov attends the meeting of the GUAM Council of MFA
- 07.12.2017“ASAN Service” is a huge revolution in field of public services – Azerbaijani president
- 07.12.2017Israeli Embassy in Baku reacts to protests over Trump’s Jerusalem declaration
- 07.12.2017UK minister of state for trade to visit Azerbaijan
- 07.12.2017Novruz Mammadov: Azerbaijani public concerned over unfair attitude of certain circles in West and Europe
- 07.12.2017Lavrov: Russia will contribute to search for mutually acceptable solutions to Karabakh conflict
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Guba district
- 07.12.2017Azerbaijan supports peaceful settlement of Israeli-Palestinian conflict - Foreign Ministry
- 06.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan expands partnership with Russia in technology sector
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM: Int’l rules can be applied regarding controversial deposits in Caspian Sea
- 06.12.2017Draft Convention on Caspian status includes preservation of military balance: Azerbaijani MFA
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM reveals Caspian division principles
- 06.12.2017Baku: Draft Convention on Caspian Sea status coordinated
- 06.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev views Bakutel-2017 exhibition
- 06.12.2017Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs to meet in Vienna today
- 10.10.2017Stella Kyriakides elected new PACE President
- 10.10.2017Candidate for the post of UNESCO Director General Polad Bulbuloglu left the election race
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijani president in Sochi for CIS summit
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijan says new deal with EU creates important framework for comprehensive development of ties
- 09.10.2017Date of Erdogan’s visit to Azerbaijan revealed
- 09.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has very positive reputation on international arena