Kurdistan referendum was a wrong step: Iraqi diplomat
Iraqi Kurdistan Regional Government's referendum on independence was a wrong step, the Iraqi Charge D'affaires to Azerbaijan, Fadhil Awad Al Shuwaili, said at a press conference on Tuesday, APA reported.
Calling the referendum ‘unconstitutional’, the diplomat rejected allegations that Iraqi Kurds are out of the authorities.
“Many positions in the government of Iraq are held by Kurds, and they have the right to represent the Iraqi state. The Iraqi president is also Kurdish,” the charge d'affaires said stressing that taking such a step leads to the creation of a state on the basis of ‘ethnic cleansing’, and that is not right.
The diplomat warned that as Kirkuk is also part of Iraq, Kurdistan does not have the right to declare it as its territory.
“We stand against the de-facto occupation of Kirkuk where all the representatives of the Iraqi people live in peace,” he said.
“The Kurds themselves differ on the referendum. They protest against the superiority of one party over another,” the Iraqi diplomat added.
He emphasized that the international community supports Iraq’s territorial integrity and considers the Kurdistan referendum illegal.
According to him, the regional government has the right to control all airports and close illegal checkpoints.
“Oil fields in Kurdistan belong to the entire Iraq, and the central government has the right to regain control over them,” he added.
The charge d'affaires said he hopes that Kurdistan will annul the result of the referendum and begin negotiations.
“Negotiations with Kurdistan may be possible only after the results of the referendum are annulled. The best way to preserve the unity of the state lies in dialogue,” Al Shuwaili underlined.
- 21.10.2017Pan-African Parliament’s President to visit Azerbaijan
- 20.10.2017Kubiv: Positivity in Kiev-Baku relations bothers some inside and outside of Ukraine
- 20.10.2017Austrian ambassador: Azerbaijan and Armenia can not be forced into one way of solution - INTERVIEW
- 20.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s external debt less than 20% of GDP - UPDATED
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani president ends visit to Turkey
- 20.10.2017MP Samad Seyidov criticizes Ukrainian colleagues for voting against Azerbaijan at PACE
- 20.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends D8 Summit in Istanbul
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani President met with Iranian First Vice President in Istanbul
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani president arrives in Turkey
- 19.10.2017Moscow: Main articles of convention on Caspian Sea status agreed
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani FM receives delegation of Cooperation Council for Arab States of Gulf
- 19.10.2017Baku to host next round of talks on new EU-Azerbaijan deal
- 19.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives first vice PM of Ukraine
- 18.10.2017Luxembourgian delegation says the anti-Azerbaijani campaign 'unfair'
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijani president receives CIS Frontier Troops’ Commanders
- 18.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Polish FM - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation of Cooperation Council for Arab States of Gulf - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijani, Polish FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan hails Poland’s unequivocal stance on principle of territorial integrity
- 18.10.2017Polish FM: Azerbaijan is an energy supplier to Eastern Europe
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan sees co-op with EU as one of its foreign policy priorities
- 18.10.2017Portugal's interior minister resigns after deadly wildfires
- 18.10.2017FM Mammadyarov: Armenian president’s irresponsibly going beyond joint statement ‘not right’
- 18.10.2017EU: Human trafficking victims are mostly migrants, children and women
- 17.10.2017Mahmoud Abbas congratulates President Aliyev
- 17.10.2017Saudi King congratulates President Aliyev
- 17.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Greek ambassador
- 17.10.2017Ambassador: US singles out three main directions for implementing economic reforms
- 17.10.2017US assistance to Azerbaijan over past 25 years exceed $1.3 bln – Ambassador Cekuta
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan seeks to join one of geopolitical groups within Inter-parliamentary Union
- 16.10.2017OPINION: Russia continues to supply modern weapons to occupant Armenia
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani president ends visit to Switzerland
- 16.10.2017Meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents took place in constructive atmosphere - STATEMENT
- 16.10.2017A Ban to Shackling for Mentally Disabled People in Ghana
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan is an important country for U.S. – Ambassador Cekuta
- 14.10.2017Bulgarian president ends visit to Azerbaijan
- 13.10.2017EU says new deal with Azerbaijan should be worked out properly
- 13.10.2017EU urges dialogue between Azerbaijan and PACE
- 13.10.2017US, Azerbaijan enjoy strong partnership in field of security, diplomat says
- 13.10.2017President Rumen Radev reaffirms Bulgaria’s support for realization of Southern Gas Corridor project
- 10.10.2017Stella Kyriakides elected new PACE President
- 10.10.2017Candidate for the post of UNESCO Director General Polad Bulbuloglu left the election race
- 11.10.2017Azerbaijani president in Sochi for CIS summit
- 10.10.2017Azerbaijan says new deal with EU creates important framework for comprehensive development of ties
- 09.10.2017Date of Erdogan’s visit to Azerbaijan revealed
- 09.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan has very positive reputation on international arena