Kurdistan referendum was a wrong step: Iraqi diplomat
Iraqi Kurdistan Regional Government's referendum on independence was a wrong step, the Iraqi Charge D'affaires to Azerbaijan, Fadhil Awad Al Shuwaili, said at a press conference on Tuesday, APA reported.
Calling the referendum ‘unconstitutional’, the diplomat rejected allegations that Iraqi Kurds are out of the authorities.
“Many positions in the government of Iraq are held by Kurds, and they have the right to represent the Iraqi state. The Iraqi president is also Kurdish,” the charge d'affaires said stressing that taking such a step leads to the creation of a state on the basis of ‘ethnic cleansing’, and that is not right.
The diplomat warned that as Kirkuk is also part of Iraq, Kurdistan does not have the right to declare it as its territory.
“We stand against the de-facto occupation of Kirkuk where all the representatives of the Iraqi people live in peace,” he said.
“The Kurds themselves differ on the referendum. They protest against the superiority of one party over another,” the Iraqi diplomat added.
He emphasized that the international community supports Iraq’s territorial integrity and considers the Kurdistan referendum illegal.
According to him, the regional government has the right to control all airports and close illegal checkpoints.
“Oil fields in Kurdistan belong to the entire Iraq, and the central government has the right to regain control over them,” he added.
The charge d'affaires said he hopes that Kurdistan will annul the result of the referendum and begin negotiations.
“Negotiations with Kurdistan may be possible only after the results of the referendum are annulled. The best way to preserve the unity of the state lies in dialogue,” Al Shuwaili underlined.
- 23.02.2018Moldovan president to visit Azerbaijan
- 23.02.2018U.S. aims to help Azerbaijan become a strong, prosperous state: Ambassador Cekuta
- 23.02.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets with head of Iran's Islamic Culture and Relations Organization
- 23.02.2018Erdogan: 415 sq km now under control in Afrin operation
- 23.02.2018Azerbaijan calls Dutch parliament’s decision ‘biased’
- 23.02.2018Film on Khojaly Genocide screened in California
- 22.02.2018OSCE PA special rep. on South Caucasus resigns
- 22.02.2018Ceremony of laying first border markers on Azerbaijani-Russian border held - UPDATED
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan's FM to address UN Human Rights Council's session
- 22.02.2018MFA: Appeals sent to int'l organizations for monitoring Azerbaijan presidential election
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan, Russia mulling border demarcation
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA, Prosecutor General’s Office issue joint statement on Sumgayit disturbances
- 21.02.2018Envoy Cekuta: U.S. supports transparent and credible electoral process
- 21.02.2018Ilham Aliyev receives ex-president of Dutch Senate
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijani president receives Iran’s defense minister
- 21.02.2018Baku reacts to statement of French Foreign Ministry
- 20.02.2018Sergey Lebedev to lead CIS observation mission in Azerbaijan presidential election - UPDATED
- 20.02.2018Outgoing Czech ambassador to Azerbaijan to serve as envoy to Russia
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan names new ambassador to Jordan
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan appoints new consul in Batumi
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijan, Turkmenistan mull energy cooperation
- 19.02.2018Montenegrin president to attend 6th Global Baku Forum
- 19.02.2018ODIHR needs assessment mission to arrive in Baku on Feb. 21 - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018PACE to decide on sending mission for observation of Azerbaijan presidential election in mid-March
- 19.02.2018Ilham Aliyev: Armenia’s hypocritical position is key impediment to achieving progress in Karabakh talks - UPDATED
- 19.02.2018EU special rep. for South Caucasus arrives in Baku
- 17.02.2018Baku hosts event in support of Turkey’s Afrin op
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM attends roundtable at Munich Security Conference
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani MFA: Armenia's speaking of peace is a 'clear hypocrisy'
- 16.02.2018Baku reacts to Russian MFA spokesperson’s remarks
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE chairman
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan invites int’l observers to monitor upcoming presidential election – EU envoy
- 16.02.201854th Munich Security Conference to start today
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president: New agreement with EU to create a new co-op format
- 15.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Donald Trump
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Italian deputy economic development minister
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijani FM to attend Munich Security Conference
- 15.02.2018Summit of Caspian states to take place in 2H18
- 14.02.2018Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Serbian counterpart
- 14.02.2018GUAM to send observation mission for upcoming presidential election in Azerbaijan
- 28.07.2016Turkmen president expresses condolences over deadly blast at Azerbaijani plant
- 28.07.2016Azerbaijani FM receives UK parliamentary delegation
- 02.08.2016US Congressman: Azerbaijani, Armenian FMs will meet co-chairing countries’ foreign ministers in August
- 25.07.2016Azerbaijan’s Central Bank raises nearly 50M manats at auction
- 25.07.2016Azerbaijan’s Kapital Bank announces new appointment
- 25.07.2016Turkey receives strong support from Azerbaijan immediately after failed coup – FM