“Kerry jealous of Russia-Azerbaijan ties that have reached strategic partnership level”
Baku – APA. US Secretary of State John Kerry is jealous of Russia-Azerbaijan ties that have reached the strategic partnership level, Hikmat Babaoghlu, Azerbaijani MP, editor-in-chief of newspaper “Yeni Azərbaycan” (New Azerbaijan), told APA on Wednesday.
The MP noted that being a superpower is not only a show of force, but it also requires relying on justice, international law, contributing to the development of international relations and avoiding double standards.
The MP stressed that Kerry’s recent statement on the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict do not correspond to historical realities and is contrary to the spirit of the relations between Azerbaijan and the US.
“According to Kerry, the leaders of the conflict parties are not ready for peace. If the leaders themselves were able to solve this problem, then the Minsk Group would not have been created within the OSCE under the UN mandate to settle the conflict,” he said. “On the other hand, instead of making such uncertain statements, the US should try to achieve the implementation of the four UN resolutions demanding the immediate withdrawal of Armenian troops from the occupied Azerbaijani territories.”
The MP noted that Kerry’s unsuccessful statements pursue different political goals.
“First of all, Kerry, by making such statement, is trying to cause distrust in Russia’s new stance on the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict,” said Babaoghlu. “On the other hand, Kerry is jealous of Russia-Azerbaijan ties that have reached the strategic partnership level.”
Such cases are not new to John Kerry, he added.
“He was one of the initiators of Section 907 – an amendment to the Freedom Support Act of 1992,” the MP recalled. “When he was a Democratic Party’s presidential candidate in 2004, Kerry promised to recognize the "Armenian genocide". In addition, he repeatedly demanded official recognition to the “Armenian genocide”.
“On 12 September 2012, Kerry made a statement condemning the release of Azerbaijani officer Ramil Safarov. During the events of 20 January 1990, several US senators, including Kerry appealed to Mikhail Gorbachev, stressing the need for unification of 160 thousand Armenians living in Nagorno-Karabakh with Armenia,” he added.
There are numerous facts that prove Kerry’s closeness with the Armenian lobby and his sympathy for the Armenians, said the MP, calling on the relevant US agencies to take necessary measures to this end.
Related news releases
- 16.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Kazakh leader
- 15.12.2017Qatar National Day marked in Baku
- 14.12.2017First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva met with delegation led by UK Minister of State for Trade and Export Promotion
- 14.12.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets with UK Minister of State for Trade and Export Promotion
- 14.12.2017Bahar Muradova: Europe tends to react only when itself faced with threat
- 13.12.2017Ambassador: Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan are strategic partners
- 13.12.2017‘Jerusalem has not been abandoned,’ Erdogan says
- 13.12.2017OIC member states recognize E. Jerusalem as Palestine’s capital
- 13.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: U.S. should reconsider its decision on Jerusalem
- 13.12.2017U.S. provides over $30.8 million for mine and UXO clearance in Azerbaijan
- 13.12.2017Mahmoud Abbas rules out U.S. mediator role in Palestine-Israel peace process
- 13.12.2017Turkey’s Erdogan calls for recognition of Jerusalem as ‘occupied capital of Palestine’
- 13.12.2017Erdogan calls Israel an ‘occupying and terror state’
- 13.12.2017OIC summit on Jerusalem kicks off in Istanbul
- 13.12.2017OIC FMs meet in Istanbul to discuss Jerusalem issue
- 12.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Turkey
- 12.12.2017Iran’s Rouhani to visit Azerbaijan next year
- 12.12.2017ECHR: Armenia has to pay for damage to Azerbaijani IDPs
- 12.12.2017Caucasian Muslims Office issues statement on al-Quds
- 12.12.2017Kazakh President Nazarbayev to propose date for Caspian summit
- 12.12.2017Deputy FM says he doesn’t believe in Azerbaijan’s accession to WTO in coming years
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan says issues on aviation agreement with EU can be resolved in early 2018
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijan, Georgia to continue negotiations on border delimitation early next year
- 12.12.2017Caspian states to sign separate agreement on water surface division
- 12.12.2017No middle line or any common principle for division of Caspian seabed: Azerbaijani deputy FM
- 12.12.2017Talks on new Azerbaijan-EU agreement may end by late 2018 – deputy FM
- 11.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Russian State Duma delegation
- 09.12.2017Erdogan invites Ilham Aliyev to attend OIC summit on Jerusalem issue
- 08.12.2017President Aliyev appoints Azerbaijan’s honorary consul to Djibouti
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan appoints new ambassador to Croatia
- 08.12.2017Azerbaijan recalls ambassador from Tajikistan
- 08.12.2017Russia never requested Azerbaijan for agrément for Georgy Zuev - Lavrov
- 08.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Sudanese ambassador
- 07.12.2017Elmar Mammadyarov attends the meeting of the GUAM Council of MFA
- 07.12.2017“ASAN Service” is a huge revolution in field of public services – Azerbaijani president
- 07.12.2017Israeli Embassy in Baku reacts to protests over Trump’s Jerusalem declaration
- 07.12.2017UK minister of state for trade to visit Azerbaijan
- 07.12.2017Novruz Mammadov: Azerbaijani public concerned over unfair attitude of certain circles in West and Europe
- 07.12.2017Lavrov: Russia will contribute to search for mutually acceptable solutions to Karabakh conflict
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Guba district
- 06.10.2016New Zealand sets up inter-parliamentary friendship group with Azerbaijan
- 07.10.2016No significant progress in Karabakh conflict settlement this year – Russian political analyst
- 07.10.2016Russia invites Azerbaijan to closer co-op with CSTO
- 05.10.2016FM: Azerbaijan understands Afghanistan’s problems
- 05.10.2016Ambassador dismisses reports of abduction of 25 Azerbaijani nationals in Ukraine
- 05.10.2016Azerbaijani president receives incoming Romanian ambassador - UPDATED