“Kerry jealous of Russia-Azerbaijan ties that have reached strategic partnership level”
Baku – APA. US Secretary of State John Kerry is jealous of Russia-Azerbaijan ties that have reached the strategic partnership level, Hikmat Babaoghlu, Azerbaijani MP, editor-in-chief of newspaper “Yeni Azərbaycan” (New Azerbaijan), told APA on Wednesday.
The MP noted that being a superpower is not only a show of force, but it also requires relying on justice, international law, contributing to the development of international relations and avoiding double standards.
The MP stressed that Kerry’s recent statement on the settlement of the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh conflict do not correspond to historical realities and is contrary to the spirit of the relations between Azerbaijan and the US.
“According to Kerry, the leaders of the conflict parties are not ready for peace. If the leaders themselves were able to solve this problem, then the Minsk Group would not have been created within the OSCE under the UN mandate to settle the conflict,” he said. “On the other hand, instead of making such uncertain statements, the US should try to achieve the implementation of the four UN resolutions demanding the immediate withdrawal of Armenian troops from the occupied Azerbaijani territories.”
The MP noted that Kerry’s unsuccessful statements pursue different political goals.
“First of all, Kerry, by making such statement, is trying to cause distrust in Russia’s new stance on the settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict,” said Babaoghlu. “On the other hand, Kerry is jealous of Russia-Azerbaijan ties that have reached the strategic partnership level.”
Such cases are not new to John Kerry, he added.
“He was one of the initiators of Section 907 – an amendment to the Freedom Support Act of 1992,” the MP recalled. “When he was a Democratic Party’s presidential candidate in 2004, Kerry promised to recognize the "Armenian genocide". In addition, he repeatedly demanded official recognition to the “Armenian genocide”.
“On 12 September 2012, Kerry made a statement condemning the release of Azerbaijani officer Ramil Safarov. During the events of 20 January 1990, several US senators, including Kerry appealed to Mikhail Gorbachev, stressing the need for unification of 160 thousand Armenians living in Nagorno-Karabakh with Armenia,” he added.
There are numerous facts that prove Kerry’s closeness with the Armenian lobby and his sympathy for the Armenians, said the MP, calling on the relevant US agencies to take necessary measures to this end.
Related news releases
- 17.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Chinese counterpart on re-election as President
- 17.03.2018Two panels held on third day of 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018China’s foreign policy mulled at 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani, Jordanian FMs exchange letters marking 25th anniversary of diplomatic ties
- 16.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives president of Paraguayan Senate - UPDATED
- 16.03.2018Security in the Balkans discussed at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Moldova nearing solution to Transnistrian conflict: President Dodon
- 16.03.2018Gennady Burbulis: I hope Azerbaijan, Armenia will come to agreement
- 16.03.2018Ex-PM Lagumdzija: Azerbaijani president’s visit to Bosnia and Herzegovina to open new page for co-op in many areas
- 16.03.2018Moldovan president: Geopolitical competition on the rise worldwide
- 16.03.2018South-West transport corridor project has great future, says Azerbaijani FM
- 16.03.2018Albania stands by Azerbaijan in Karabakh conflict – president
- 16.03.2018Situation in Middle East discussed at 6th Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Turkish MFA: Zurich protocols benefited Armenia more than Turkey
- 16.03.2018Albania, Azerbaijan enjoy good relations: ex-president
- 16.03.2018Some states testing new weapons in Syria, ex-Lebanese PM claims
- 16.03.2018Working group set up to bring Azerbaijani citizens back from Iraq
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijani FM stresses need for reforms in UN
- 16.03.2018Turkish MP’s health deteriorates during speech at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Lebanon’s ex-PM: Unresolved Palestinian conflict lies at root of developments in region
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives Iranian FM - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018US Ambassador to Azerbaijan Cekuta to leave his position in late March
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev meets with member of Bosnia and Herzegovina Presidency - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev presents “Dostlug” Order to UNESCO goodwill ambassador
- 15.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets president of Marianna V. Vardinoyannis Foundation
- 15.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets Italian Senate's VP
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijani president meets with Albanian counterpart - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018Ilham Aliyev sends congratulatory letter to Angela Merkel
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijan’s First VP Mehriban Aliyeva meets with Turkish PM
- 15.03.2018Respect for int’l law will further strengthen respect for territorial integrity of countries: Iranian FM
- 15.03.2018Former US envoy to UN: Conflicts around the world will increase
- 15.03.2018Georgia to host next meeting of Azerbaijani, Georgian, Iranian and Turkish FMs
- 15.03.2018Existing opportunities should be utilized to bridge Asia with Europe, says Georgian FM
- 15.03.2018Turkey says quadrilateral co-op format with Azerbaijan, Iran, Georgia to contribute to peace and stability
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijani, Turkish, Iranian, Georgian FMs hail new format of quadrilateral cooperation
- 15.03.2018Baku Declaration adopted at meeting of Azerbaijani, Turkish, Iranian, Georgian FMs
- 15.03.2018Deputy PM: TAP is an important project for Bosnia and Herzegovina
- 15.03.2018PM Yildirim: Turkey, Azerbaijan and Georgia take serious steps to ensure regional security
- 15.03.2018Meeting of Azerbaijani, Turkish, Iranian, Georgian FMs kicks off in Baku
- 15.03.2018PACE to send 33-member delegation to Azerbaijan for election observation
- 06.10.2016New Zealand sets up inter-parliamentary friendship group with Azerbaijan
- 07.10.2016No significant progress in Karabakh conflict settlement this year – Russian political analyst
- 07.10.2016Russia invites Azerbaijan to closer co-op with CSTO
- 05.10.2016FM: Azerbaijan understands Afghanistan’s problems
- 05.10.2016Ambassador dismisses reports of abduction of 25 Azerbaijani nationals in Ukraine
- 05.10.2016Azerbaijani president receives incoming Romanian ambassador - UPDATED