Johannes Hahn: Southern Gas Corridor is a strategic project for EU - INTERVIEW
Q. Negotiations on the new agreement are taking place between Azerbaijan and the EU. What do you think of the current level of the negotiations? Political discussions have already taken place. Are there any shared opinions or disagreements in this respect? When do you think these negotiations will be concluded?
A. Negotiations have been very constructive so far and allowed progress in many areas, though we should not underestimate the work that remains to be done. We are aiming at a swift conclusion but a good result is more important than a rapid one. For us it is important that we cover all the key areas of our cooperation, from economic and security matters to provisions on the respect of human rights, good governance and the rule of law, ensuring the agreement takes account of the shared objectives and challenges the EU and Azerbaijan face today.
Q. The Eastern Partnership summit is to take place in Brussels in November. How are preparations for this summit going so far? What are the main priorities of the summit? Are there going to be discussions or decisions in respect of Azerbaijan? Do you think a new agreement will be signed?
A. The preparations of the Eastern Partnership summit are advancing very well and we expect to agree on very concrete measures for the coming years to advance on economic development, market opportunities, good governance, connectivity, energy efficiency, mobility and people to people contact. These are our common objectives agreed in Riga two years ago. We are also working with Azerbaijan on Partnership Priorities which cover a broad range of cooperation areas; on the new agreement, if we progress swiftly and without compromising on the ambitious content, we may have the negotiations finalized by the time of the summit.
Q. Azerbaijan initiated the Southern Gas Corridor project and Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railways projects, which is important for the East-West initiative. How important are these energy and transportation projects for Europe? And what have they got to offer Europe?
A. The Southern Gas Corridor is a strategic project for the EU as it will allow us to improve our energy security by diversifying our sources of supply. The Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway project's importance will very much depend on Azerbaijan's success in developing its position as a transport hub between East and West, which will depend on many factors, in this vein one can underline importance of WTO membership for the predictability and the international compatibility of the transport systems and regulations with the European ones and the ability of the business climate to attract foreign investors. Azerbaijan's efforts in fighting against corruption will certainly make a positive contribution towards an attractive business climate, as the respect for the rule of law is one of the determining factors in it.
Related news releases
- 23.10.2017Georgia’s prime minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 23.10.2017Top official: PACE seems to have turned into tool in hands of certain circles
- 23.10.2017Azerbaijani official: We had urged countries now faced with separatism to state their stance against separatism
- 23.10.2017Iranian interior minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 23.10.2017Novruz Mammadov: No one in Europe wants Azerbaijan to leave Council of Europe
- 23.10.2017Talks underway to free Azerbaijanis detained in Iraq, diplomat says
- 23.10.2017Azerbaijani FM Mammadyarov leaves for Italy
- 21.10.2017Pan-African Parliament’s President to visit Azerbaijan
- 20.10.2017Kubiv: Positivity in Kiev-Baku relations bothers some inside and outside of Ukraine
- 20.10.2017Austrian ambassador: Azerbaijan and Armenia can not be forced into one way of solution - INTERVIEW
- 20.10.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan’s external debt less than 20% of GDP - UPDATED
- 20.10.2017Azerbaijani president ends visit to Turkey
- 20.10.2017MP Samad Seyidov criticizes Ukrainian colleagues for voting against Azerbaijan at PACE
- 20.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends D8 Summit in Istanbul
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani President met with Iranian First Vice President in Istanbul
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani president arrives in Turkey
- 19.10.2017Moscow: Main articles of convention on Caspian Sea status agreed
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani FM receives delegation of Cooperation Council for Arab States of Gulf
- 19.10.2017Baku to host next round of talks on new EU-Azerbaijan deal
- 19.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives first vice PM of Ukraine
- 18.10.2017Luxembourgian delegation says the anti-Azerbaijani campaign 'unfair'
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijani president receives CIS Frontier Troops’ Commanders
- 18.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Polish FM - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation of Cooperation Council for Arab States of Gulf - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijani, Polish FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan hails Poland’s unequivocal stance on principle of territorial integrity
- 18.10.2017Polish FM: Azerbaijan is an energy supplier to Eastern Europe
- 18.10.2017Azerbaijan sees co-op with EU as one of its foreign policy priorities
- 18.10.2017Portugal's interior minister resigns after deadly wildfires
- 18.10.2017FM Mammadyarov: Armenian president’s irresponsibly going beyond joint statement ‘not right’
- 18.10.2017EU: Human trafficking victims are mostly migrants, children and women
- 17.10.2017Mahmoud Abbas congratulates President Aliyev
- 17.10.2017Saudi King congratulates President Aliyev
- 17.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming Greek ambassador
- 17.10.2017Ambassador: US singles out three main directions for implementing economic reforms
- 17.10.2017US assistance to Azerbaijan over past 25 years exceed $1.3 bln – Ambassador Cekuta
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijan seeks to join one of geopolitical groups within Inter-parliamentary Union
- 16.10.2017OPINION: Russia continues to supply modern weapons to occupant Armenia
- 16.10.2017Azerbaijani president ends visit to Switzerland
- 16.10.2017Meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian presidents took place in constructive atmosphere - STATEMENT
- 16.06.2017Colombian FM in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 16.06.2017Azerbaijani President: Azerbaijan is ready to make efforts to expand the bilateral ties with the EU
- 16.06.2017EU says relations with Azerbaijan entered ‘a new stage’
- 15.06.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives IPU secretary general - UPDATED
- 14.06.2017Elmar Mammadyarov receives EU representatives
- 14.06.2017PACE co-rapporteur received at Ombudsman’s Office