Iraq hails Azerbaijan’s support in fight against terrorism
Numerous countries, including Azerbaijan have supported Iraq in the fight against terrorism, Iraq's Charge D'affaires to Azerbaijan Fadhil Awad Al Shuwaili said on Friday.
There are almost no militants of Islamic State terrorist group (IS, aka ISIL, ISIS, Daesh) left in Iraq, Al Shuwaili told a press conference held in Baku on the occasion of the liberation of Mosul from IS militants, APA reported.
The whole world is in fight against ‘black terror’, the diplomat said noting that militants from more than 100 countries are fighting in the ranks of ISIL.
“The liberation of Mosul, first of all, means the liberation of humanity, then the liberation of lands. ISIL tries to humiliate the humanity. Numerous countries, including Azerbaijan helped us in fight against terrorism. This is not only our victory, but also the victory of those who helped us,” he said.
The diplomat stressed that one of the priorities for the Iraqi government is the restoration of Mosul and the return of refugees to the city.
“They [IS militants] burned Yezidi women and old people alive, about two million people were forced to flee Mosul. The Iraqi army managed to drive the terrorists out the city. They destroyed the tomb of Prophet Yunus and mosques,” he added.
Related news releases
- 20.01.2018Working group on Caspian legal status to meet in February
- 20.01.2018Azerbaijan, Russia to install first border marks in February
- 20.01.2018Azerbaijan, Russia to discuss state border demarcation
- 19.01.2018PACE Sub-Committee on Conflicts to be reconstituted
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijani delegation to attend PACE winter session
- 19.01.2018Azerbaijani president offers condolences to Uzbek counterpart
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijani president to address Davos Economic Forum
- 17.01.2018EU-Azerbaijan comprehensive agreement to be discussed at European Parliament
- 17.01.2018PUIC starts its 13th Session
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijani and French FMs met in Paris - UPDATED
- 16.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan, Turkey to continue to implement major projects this year - UPDATED
- 16.01.2018Bulgarian PM completes Azerbaijan visit
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev: Bulgaria and Azerbaijan will continue to cooperate successfully
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev has dinner with Bulgarian PM Boyko Borissov
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM make press statements
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani FM to meet with French counterpart
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president, Bulgarian PM hold expanded meeting
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijani president holds one-on-one meeting with Bulgarian PM
- 15.01.2018Iran’s Rouhani to visit Baku late March
- 15.01.2018Azerbaijan-Moldova intergovernmental commission on economic co-op to meet in first half of 2018
- 15.01.2018Russia says satisfied with strategic partnership with Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev offers condolences to Iranian counterpart
- 13.01.2018Azerbaijan stands firmly next to Turkey on all regional issues – envoy
- 12.01.2018Kestutis Jankauskas: "Negotiations on the aviation agreement between Azerbaijan and the EU are almost completed"
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijani, Swiss presidents to meet in Davos
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijan highly values Italy’s willingness to take responsibility of chairing OSCE at challenging period
- 11.01.2018Azerbaijan joins Framework Agreement on Facilitation of Cross-border Paperless Trade in Asia and the Pacific
- 10.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev extends condolences over death Georgia’s first ambassador to Azerbaijan
- 09.01.2018Bulgarian president phones President Ilham Aliyev
- 08.01.2018President Ilham Aliyev receives credentials of incoming ambassadors - UPDATED
- 08.01.2018NATO official comments on upcoming high-level meeting with Russia in Baku
- 05.01.2018Samad Seyidov comments on change in composition of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE
- 04.01.2018Patriarch Kirill sends congratulatory letter to President Ilham Aliyev
- 04.01.2018Staff of Azerbaijani delegation to PACE changed - UPDATED
- 03.01.2018Azerbaijan and EU to hold next round of negotiations in February
- 30.12.2017We hope that conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia will be resolved in 2018 – Iranian spokesman
- 30.12.2017Putin congratulates Azerbaijani president
- 29.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives letter from Georgian counterpart
- 29.12.2017Azerbaijani MPs slam Georgia’s intention to provide Armenia with access to Russia
- 29.12.2017Ambassador: Azerbaijan-Georgia economic cooperation yet to reach its potential - INTERVIEW
- 14.07.2017Azerbaijani president sends letter to Turkish counterpart
- 14.07.2017Turkish deputy PM: Killing of 2-year-old Zahra is ‘international crime’
- 15.07.2017Allahshukur Pashazade: Fetullah isn’t on his own, he has backers
- 14.07.2017Anar Alakbarov: Terrorism is a crime against mankind
- 14.07.2017VAK liquidation won’t affect Russia-Azerbaijan relations – ambassador
- 13.07.2017Iranian lawmaker calls for condemnation of Azerbaijani toddler’s murder by Armenian army