Iraq hails Azerbaijan’s support in fight against terrorism
Numerous countries, including Azerbaijan have supported Iraq in the fight against terrorism, Iraq's Charge D'affaires to Azerbaijan Fadhil Awad Al Shuwaili said on Friday.
There are almost no militants of Islamic State terrorist group (IS, aka ISIL, ISIS, Daesh) left in Iraq, Al Shuwaili told a press conference held in Baku on the occasion of the liberation of Mosul from IS militants, APA reported.
The whole world is in fight against ‘black terror’, the diplomat said noting that militants from more than 100 countries are fighting in the ranks of ISIL.
“The liberation of Mosul, first of all, means the liberation of humanity, then the liberation of lands. ISIL tries to humiliate the humanity. Numerous countries, including Azerbaijan helped us in fight against terrorism. This is not only our victory, but also the victory of those who helped us,” he said.
The diplomat stressed that one of the priorities for the Iraqi government is the restoration of Mosul and the return of refugees to the city.
“They [IS militants] burned Yezidi women and old people alive, about two million people were forced to flee Mosul. The Iraqi army managed to drive the terrorists out the city. They destroyed the tomb of Prophet Yunus and mosques,” he added.
Related news releases
- 20.11.2017Top diplomats from Caspian states to meet in Moscow on December 4-5
- 20.11.2017New EU strategy puts emphasis on ties with neighboring countries – envoy
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, Russian FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 20.11.2017Baku to host meeting of Russia-Azerbaijan intergovernmental commission on military-technical co-op
- 20.11.2017Lavrov comments on possible creation of Azerbaijan-Turkey-Russia co-op format
- 20.11.2017Lavrov: ‘Menu’ on Karabakh conflict settlement on negotiating table
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, Pakistani, Turkish FMs to meet in Baku
- 20.11.2017Russia to host ministerial meeting on Caspian Sea legal status
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijan, Russia sign document on 25th anniversary of diplomatic relations
- 20.11.2017Russia would welcome Azerbaijan’s accession to Eurasian Economic Union, says Lavrov
- 20.11.2017Lavrov: Russia, Azerbaijan are strategic partners
- 19.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev received delegation led by Russian FM
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani president sends congratulatory letter to Latvian counterpart
- 17.11.2017Meeting of EU-Azerbaijan subcommittee on cooperation to take place in December
- 17.11.2017Azerbaijani deputy FM says talks on new agreement with EU can be finished next year
- 17.11.2017Booking.com restarts illegal hotel reservations in occupied Azerbaijani territories
- 17.11.2017Deputy FM: We try Azerbaijan’s position to be reflected in EaP summit declaration
- 17.11.2017UNICEF regional director to visit Azerbaijan
- 17.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Uzbek deputy PM
- 16.11.2017U.S. actively works with Azerbaijan towards ensuring global energy security – ambassador
- 16.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives Kazakh first deputy PM
- 16.11.2017Moscow: Lavrov to discuss bilateral relations in Baku
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijani FM to meet with OSCE MG co-chairs in Moscow
- 16.11.2017Uzbek defense minister in Azerbaijan for official visit
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani, Brazilian FMs meet in Baku - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017Ilham Aliyev congratulates Borut Pahor on reelection as Slovenian president
- 15.11.2017UK ambassadors from regional countries to hold conference in Baku
- 15.11.2017Brazil’s position on violation of sovereignty in world based on long-term policy – FM
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan, Brazil agree to expand bilateral ties
- 15.11.2017FM: Brazil supports Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity
- 15.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives delegation led by Brazilian FM
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijani president receives Moldovan interior minister - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017A reception is held in Paris in honor of the nomination of Baku as a candidate city for the exhibition "Ехpо 2025"
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani President sends congratulatory letter to Palestinian President
- 14.11.2017FM Mammadyarov receives governor of Egypt’s South Sinai
- 14.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: CoE secretary general’s activity caused artificial crisis with Azerbaijan
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani FM receives incoming Sudanese ambassador
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani FM to visit Moscow on Nov. 16
- 14.11.2017Brazilian FM to visit Azerbaijan
- 13.11.2017Azerbaijani FM receives outgoing ambassador of Bulgaria
- 14.07.2017Azerbaijani president sends letter to Turkish counterpart
- 14.07.2017Turkish deputy PM: Killing of 2-year-old Zahra is ‘international crime’
- 15.07.2017Allahshukur Pashazade: Fetullah isn’t on his own, he has backers
- 14.07.2017Anar Alakbarov: Terrorism is a crime against mankind
- 14.07.2017VAK liquidation won’t affect Russia-Azerbaijan relations – ambassador
- 13.07.2017Iranian lawmaker calls for condemnation of Azerbaijani toddler’s murder by Armenian army